Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#151 Old 22nd May 2012 at 11:01 PM Last edited by Sunbee : 22nd May 2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: hit post too soon
I like the Ottomas family, but I do think they're a bit of a small family! (The typical always is pregnant family sim should have another kid between David and Sharla and one between Sharla and Tommy--plenty of room for two more pregnancies that didn't happen.)
But that's me. There are so many possibilities with them. They have enough money for a nice doublewide, and maybe they should be a trailer park family, but, well, look at Dora. We've got a family sim who didn't get married, who's always worked, and I keep thinking she did that on purpose. Never met anyone she wanted to marry, liked her job, didn't want the house in the suburbs, 3 kids and a dog life. (Read the biography of President Obama's mother: that's the sort of gal I think Dora is.) She's got the skill points to be a high school principal when the game starts, and that's where I put her, and a hobby of fitness. Not arts and crafts, not cooking, no, Dora's the gal out there jogging. Dora lived in the city in an apartment, would've liked another kid or two, but she did the math and figured it wouldn't work, so just had one. I like to give her a fortune secondary, and give her the uni upgrade. I think Dora has the most skill points of any premade sim. Nothing's maxed, but she's well rounded.
Peter grew up with his mom, wished he had siblings, and set out to create the family his mom didn't have. He's reasonably successful in his career (he's already earned the career reward), but it's a means to an end. I think he and Samantha met in university and never looked at anyone else.
Samantha hates her job, loves her kids, and the only reason she doesn't quit is that Dora loves to talk about how wonderful it is that young women these days don't have the same barriers her generation did. Her mother-in-law would be utterly perplexed and would make her miserable. Samantha'd love to move to the country and live off the land. Peter doesn't mind the idea, but isn't sure it's feasible. He likes gardening and all, but there are few well paying jobs in his field in the country.
I've played them in a trailer park. I've played them in the country. I've played them in an apartment. David likes the last the best, being a pop sim. Tommy's OTH is science, so he likes the country best (where it's dark enough for a telescope), while Sharla doesn't much care as long as Grandmom and Mom take her jogging.
Other than that, I usually have them adopt Marsha B., who fits in perfectly.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#152 Old 22nd May 2012 at 11:14 PM
I've actually plunked them down in a premade house in Riverblossom Hills. After I added a second story to it along with a couple more bedrooms and another bathroom. It's the one with the pond out in the yard if I remember right.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#153 Old 22nd May 2012 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I've actually plunked them down in a premade house in Riverblossom Hills. After I added a second story to it along with a couple more bedrooms and another bathroom. It's the one with the pond out in the yard if I remember right.

Thats the one I put them in! The one with the roundish turret I guess you can call it? I added a 2nd story for the 3 bedrooms and a bath. You have to have two baths to play this family for sure. Usually my homes have 2 bedrooms at the most and I usually dont play 2 stories --- but with my new computer I can and its soo much nicer not having to worry about it lagging. So far i enjoy the Ottomases
Top Secret Researcher
#154 Old 23rd May 2012 at 12:08 AM
They moved into a dead serial killer's house, and Samantha got stuck in one of his death traps, and burned to death.

Then Peter Ottomas married Brandi Broke, so I'm not completely cruel.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Mad Poster
#155 Old 23rd May 2012 at 12:25 AM
I never actually did backstory for the Drama Acres Ottomases, but in Strangetown, the reason for the big gaps between David and Sharla, Sharla and Tommy, is that Peter's spent most of their married life in war-torn Simlakistan. David was conceived shortly before they married (and is the reason he enlisted in a hurry when he couldn't land a viable job with just a high school diploma), Sharla and Tommy while he was home on leave, and the twins on the night he returned for good. Now he's got a permanent posting to Strangetown and his series of field promotions for bravery (read, sublimated sexual frustration) has him holding down a rank way beyond his skill set.

David is really Dora's boy. I'm giving Samantha a degree, but not Peter - he enlisted right out of high school, and she went to college thanks to Dora's help. But I gave Dora a Romance secondary, and Peter's father is a married man. When I gave her the Romance secondary I was thinking "cougar," but in fact she seems set on vamping PT9!

Yeah, Sunbee, they're a family with lots of possibilities. If I ever play a third neighborhood, I'll do something completely other with them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#156 Old 23rd May 2012 at 1:31 AM
Well, I cannot for the life of me find that farmhouse I used before. I distinctly remember remodeling it, but none of the existing farmhouse lots, binned or placed, look remotely like what I remember, so at this point, I'm fairly certain it was a downloaded lot that I must no longer have installed. Oh well.

I went to check out the bunker again, and interestingly, it doesn't affect me like it did before. It's still an unappealing lot, but it no longer hits me with the "creepy" vibe. It's funny, because I'm a huge fan the Apocalypse Challenge, which I tend to like to play with a certain amount of grungy CC, and I also enjoy zombie stuff, to some degree. (Recently got into the cable series The Walking Dead.) So why did the bunker lot bother me? It's a great "zombie apocalypse" lot, after all - just what I'm into. Looking at the lot again today, I realized that of course, I'd been playing the game for quite awhile before ever hearing about the Apocalypse Challenge, and shows like The Walking Dead certainly did not exist. So it's a small insight into some ways my psyche has changed from when I first started playing until now. /tl;dr phych 101 pontifications

Back on topic:
Not having played the Ottomases much yet, I'm not quite sure how I see them all. However, the family has definitely felt small town to me from the beginning, and having just looked at their (the adults)) memories, that has not changed. Sunbee's observation that Dora was never married is intriguing, but I'm still inclined to seeing her as having been taken advantage of (or perhaps having taken advantage of) a rambling man (perhaps a gypsy!) who didn't stick around after their brief love affair. So I do see her as being a bit more wild and free than what the typical family sim might usually be, but family sim she still is. Secondary Romance really does sound like a good one for her!

Peter, of course, inherited Dora's wilder side, but there weren't many opportunities to play the field much in a small town. He never particularly wanted a huge family, but despite his own only-child status, he thinks getting married and having a ton of kids is just what people do. He loves his wife and kids, and doesn't think about it much beyond that.

Samantha needs some more fleshing out for me. I'll have to wait until I've played her more before deciding if she's a stereotypical Family sim with nothing more than family-related wants, or if she's got unexpressed longings for Something Else.
Lab Assistant
#157 Old 23rd May 2012 at 1:49 AM
Well Dora has just died in my game. Everyone is clearly upset. She died in the bathroom ... not sure thats how I want to go *lol* She did leave a nice sum of money behind ... so they are going to fix up the house a bit and finally buy some items they were lacking ... like lamps and mirrors, dressers. Dora was laid to rest by the pond under a tree ... she will be happy there. One more space so Samantha can have a baby, but seeing as how Sharla grew up .... not sure sure I want to keep reproducing those genetics. Scary.
Mad Poster
#158 Old 23rd May 2012 at 2:05 AM
Wimp. :P

For what it's worth, Sharla seems to be an outlier and may not even be derived from her parents' genes. None of the other Ottomas children, in my game or that I've seen pictures of, replicate her triangular face, though the hollow eyes come standard. And I believe I've read on here somewhere (though I do make things up) that Peter doesn't ship with a blonde recessive. She might have been built in CAS rather than generated, like many of the other children who ship with the game. Besides, she's got a great personality.

Anyway, though Ottomas children tend to start out with the trademark hollow eyes, they also tend toward rounded face shapes; and IMHO it's the combination of the hollow eyes and sunken cheeks that makes Sharla so startling. Her face inevitably calls to mind a skull. The others don't. Receding chins, sure.

My Dora, by the way, also died in the bathroom - while pottytraining Ted! Then she haunted them when he was a child and he wet himself. Poor boy. Serious early trauma; but he's overcome it.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#159 Old 23rd May 2012 at 3:57 AM
Actually Sharla isnt the most unfortunate looking Sim I ever had. Though yes the eye are very hollow like. She will be an interesting one to mate later on after college and such. I actually like the genetically challenged ones .... its neat to see what they turn out to look like and their offspring as well.

This has been an interesting family to play!

I wonder how many Dora's ended their life in the bathroom. Mine happened to be repairing the shower ... i guess that was too much for her. *lol*
Field Researcher
#160 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:12 AM
I LOVE the Ottomases. Ottamas'. Ottami?

Anyways, I love that family so much. I've restarted my hood numerous times (I get bored easily) and every time I restart, they are one of the first families I take out of the bin. I usually made Peter a family sim (or, since the introduction of secondary aspiration, I make him a /family) since he seems to be pretty devoted to Samantha and his kids. In all the times I've played him, I havent seen him roll a "woohoo with X number of sims" or "woohoo with someone" very often at all. It's usually just woohoo with Samantha, or woohoo in general. He also rolls a lot of wants to do with his children, too.

I usually stick my family in that weird farmhouse thing that shipped with seasons. The one with the little guest house off to the side? It's an ugly house but it works nicely for them, since it has three bedrooms and three bathrooms, plus that guest house and a bathroom, too. I put grandma in the guest house so she can have some privacy, and then shove all the kids upstairs. Once she dies, the guest house goes to the oldest child still living on the lot (usually Sharla). I have inteen, so that mod comes with a risk of miscarriage, so I always have Dora quit her job so she can handle the kids and Samantha spends most of her time lounging around the house.

I do have to say, by the second or third generation, the kids look pretty normal. David had a daughter with Angela Pleasant in my last game, and she turned out adorable. Sharla also had two girls who turned out decent, too. One of the girls had her weird eye/cheekbone combo and both had a triangle shaped face, but they didn't look frightening.
Scholar
#161 Old 23rd May 2012 at 6:52 AM
Is it a punishment if the only time I've ever used that family was to playtest my newly built real basement houses?
Instructor
#162 Old 23rd May 2012 at 9:52 AM
The last times I played the Ottomas was when I made a new 'hood and killed all the bin families There graves where all next to eachother on my graveyard for NPCs/townies/downtownies/premades. In my current 'hood they aren't there, since I play with clean templates.
Mad Poster
#163 Old 23rd May 2012 at 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
They moved into a dead serial killer's house, and Samantha got stuck in one of his death traps, and burned to death.

Then Peter Ottomas married Brandi Broke, so I'm not completely cruel.

I was thinking Olive Specter's house until you said "his" death traps....

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Top Secret Researcher
#164 Old 23rd May 2012 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
I was thinking Olive Specter's house until you said "his" death traps....

Nah, I created a serial killer who eventually shot himself in the foot. Basically he'd invite guests over, cover their face with a silly face paint, then locked them in a doorless room surrounded by windows. He'd then watch them starve to death, while he did things like showered or worse in front of them.

He was experimenting with fire when one of his angrier ghosts came by and frightened him to death.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Test Subject
#165 Old 23rd May 2012 at 3:33 PM
I don't tend to play the in-game sims but I have played the Ottomas Family just the once for fun. I wanted to try the challenge of just letting sims control there own lifes and only watching them. It was a lot of fun. Already I've had them dying on me but I always brought them back as zombies. They either died of hunger, drowing or by the cow plant. Strangly enough I ain't had any of the kids taken away by the Social Worker yet. They've also lost there jobs. Oh and my twins came out looking really odd is well. I may go playing as them again soon as I left them all feeling quite stressed. xD
Top Secret Researcher
#166 Old 23rd May 2012 at 9:51 PM
I do have some random question, because after reading the pros and cons, I guess you can say.

Is this family really that laggy? Or glitchy? Because I wouldn't mind having a little diversity in my neighborhood, and all that. But I do not want them making my game all weird like o.O

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Field Researcher
#167 Old 23rd May 2012 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Levera
I do have some random question, because after reading the pros and cons, I guess you can say.

Is this family really that laggy? Or glitchy? Because I wouldn't mind having a little diversity in my neighborhood, and all that. But I do not want them making my game all weird like o.O

The family itself was never buggy. The pregnancy was bugged because the unborn twins did not have a linked father and so when they were born, they would randomly be assigned a father. The dad could be a female or even a dog.

The pregnancy could be terminated and then the family was fine, or the pregnancy bug was fixed in the seasons patch.
Top Secret Researcher
#168 Old 23rd May 2012 at 10:03 PM
Ah okay, well, like I said I wouldn't mind playing them. That is just weird that...That a dog could be the father, how sexy. LOL.

Thank you, Alijah for answering my question. Because I guess now...I can add them to Pleasantview. I wouldn't mind adding them to Strangetown and watch them and Olive Specter get into it, because lets face it, Olive is a biotch o.O

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 23rd May 2012 at 10:32 PM
They are actually fun AND challenging to play ... as there are so many. Not to mention the toddler and a set of twins. I have to say I regret waiting so long to play them. But I am glad I did. And I just love how the father, Peter, is a Romance Sim but always has wants for his wife --- shows there can be Romance Sims without being one of those woo-hoo'ing any thing that walks past them.
Lab Assistant
#170 Old 24th May 2012 at 4:19 AM
My game didn't even let me play the house I moved them into in Pleasantville. It crashed on the loading screen. If that's not bad juju right there, I honestly don't know what is.

If love is what saves all the creatures then why can't I hear them howl?
New Livejournal
EX:pondefloor
Mad Poster
#171 Old 24th May 2012 at 4:38 AM
It's probably a bad lot.

Lab Assistant
#172 Old 24th May 2012 at 6:55 AM
I usually just leave them in the bin, but one time, Mortimer Goth asked the gypsy matchmaker for a date, and got Dora Ottomas, even though they were still in the bin. So I had to move them into a house so he could keep calling her. They got married, and adopted a kid I think... I forget. Then I was doing this thing where I just left every family on free will to see if they could survive... I played the Ottomaseseses and when the twins were born (I let them be born since I was going to restart Pleasantview again soon anyway), their father was Brandi Broke, who had already died when I left her on free will. I tried to make sense of this by making up some explanation about Samantha being a surrogate mother for Brandi's baby or something... I forget again. Anyway they all ended up dying. The younger kids were taken by the social worker and I think I had other families adopt them, but soon I restarted Pleasantview for the bazillionth time to do more horrible experiments. But yeah, I think that was the only time I ever did anything with the Ottomas family. I don't really dislike them though... It could just be because I feel like they belong in Riverblossom Hills which I hardly ever play...
Mad Poster
#173 Old 24th May 2012 at 1:18 PM
I usually just delete them with Theo's SimPE plugin.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Meet Me In My Next Life
#174 Old 24th May 2012 at 7:58 PM Last edited by Simonut : 24th May 2012 at 9:43 PM.
I have heard so much about Ottomas family years ago maxis once said do not play that family there was a problem with them I forgot what it was, yet they would still be walking around from the family bin in the neighborhood.
I have heard so many bad story about that family and their "Genes" pool from what I have seen with pictures over the years, when it come to reproducing children. It is not a good outcome the kids are bless with the same ugliness as their parents.

I have never play that family "Never" I do not want my game to blow up to kingdom come with them.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#175 Old 24th May 2012 at 10:09 PM
It won't blow up, Simonut! You're patched! And those of you who are too chicken to deal with them don't know what you're missing.

Page 7 of 15