Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 8:17 AM
Default Dead Space 2 is more thrilling than DS1, but...
...there are these short sections of rapid, scripted action that baffle me because I don't immediately know what to do and don't have enough time to observe and see what is needed. It's like... a drag out quick time event puzzle where one mistake leads to instant death. Thankfully the game is smart about returning you to the right spot so that you can immediately try again. But the result of all this is that I have to keep dying and trial and error through the entire sequence.

Example in Chapter 6

What do you think of these extended qte sequences? To me it's impressive, yeah, but it made me almost as homicidally furious as playing the most difficult parts of A Story About My Uncle. Getting through it felt victorious, but it's victory mostly ruined by many trial error death scenes. Well, I can't say Dead Space 2 didn't put in spectacular effort. I think Isaac could possibly be equally or more hardcore than Commander Shepard.
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 10:42 AM
Finished Dead Space 2. I could feel that it was a better game than the first one. But this is the Dead Space that trolled me AND it wasn't scary. It was hyperactive and it had a meta game of "guess where the devs are going to jump-scare you next." Honestly, I couldn't follow much of the story because of Isaac's girlfriend using loud, distorted speech. Thank unitology there were no turret sections because those were the worst parts of DS1. The bad parts of DS2, for me, was that long qte I mentioned in the last post and that long chase to the goal in Chapter 14, you'll know you're there when you get to the cylindrical bed. But the first game was high levels of fright until you get used to it.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 11:16 PM
I still need to finish the first one and I own the whole series on steam and origin

I am MOHAAPlayer on Discord