Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 4:44 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game shuts down on startup loading screen, no errors.
Hi! I've been playing the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection since 2018, on the same PC. I'll admit, it's an old and pretty crappy PC, but it's been running the game with minimal issues and a ton of CC all along. I mean, it ran the Sims 4 (base game) without no issues as well. So I find it weird that a couple of days ago, when I removed all my CC and neighbourhoods to start a custom neighbourhood, everything started flashing pink rather quickly and sometimes even instantly upon loading the neighbourhood in question. If it wasn't that, the game would simply crash at random times (and I mean it, there was no pattern). It was kinda unplayable, actually, even with low settings (I used to play with the highest settings with minimal issues) but I pushed through. Eventually it got even worse and I got tired, backed up my stuff, uninstalled and re-installed to see if that would make a difference.

Now my game simply won't load. I start the game, the first loading screen shows up, the music stops and the game shuts down, no errors. Just a while ago I managed to load the neighbourhood, but I loaded a family and it crashed.

I don't know what to do. Maybe my PC is too outdated, it could be (4 GB or RAM in these days... well), but how is it possible that it's been running the UC since 2018, with plenty of mods and CC and now suddenly it can't even handle it with no CC at all?

Any suggestions?

Also, leaving these files in case they're useful.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-34LLKON-config-log.txt (10.7 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: txt  DxDiag.txt (86.5 KB, 2 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 5:01 AM
Before the pink-flashing, did you do any changes to the GraphicRules file, spesifically via the GraphicRulesMaker program? Have you used it in the past with this game?

GraphicRules has a couple tick boxes that need to be ticked if you have a Nvidia card. Otherwise you will get pink-soup (if you use the GRM, that is).

With the new game, did you put all your old files back in? It's possible you need to do a new setup routine for the game to work, involving GraphicRules. Windows 10 and some graphic cards are very touchy.

(Uninstalling rarely helps with anything, so unless the install files are actually broken or deleted somehow, it's best to avoid reinstalling until you've tried other things. Often, the problems could be related to GraphicRules settings, a graphic card update, Windows update, or something similar that's done something to the graphic handling. A lot of other problems stem from the savegame files in the Documents location. Plus, reinstalling can occasionally cause things to mess up even further, if you're a bit unlucky).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 5:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Before the pink-flashing, did you do any changes to the GraphicRules file, spesifically via the GraphicRulesMaker program? Have you used it in the past with this game?

GraphicRules has a couple tick boxes that need to be ticked if you have a Nvidia card. Otherwise you will get pink-soup (if you use the GRM, that is).

With the new game, did you put all your old files back in? It's possible you need to do a new setup routine for the game to work, involving GraphicRules. Windows 10 and some graphic cards are very touchy.

(Uninstalling rarely helps with anything, so unless the install files are actually broken or deleted somehow, it's best to avoid reinstalling until you've tried other things. Often, the problems could be related to GraphicRules settings, a graphic card update, Windows update, or something similar that's done something to the graphic handling. A lot of other problems stem from the savegame files in the Documents location. Plus, reinstalling can occasionally cause things to mess up even further, if you're a bit unlucky).

Hi! No, no, absolutely no changes. It wasn't necessary because as I mentioned, the game was working fine.

I only put back the neighbourhood I've been playing in, that's all, and I set up GRM exactly the same way it used to be.

And about uninstalling, I kinda suspected it wouldn't help, but I was desperate. I don't think it had any effect whatsoever, though. The game was unplayable and still is.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 5:37 AM Last edited by Annorah : 28th Mar 2024 at 6:29 AM.
Sorry to double-post. I tried running the game as an administrator, and I got this error.

Update: someone suggested I tried this. I did, and I'm still getting the error and can't play.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 6:31 AM
It's not the same error that occurs when the game usually shuts down after a regular game problem, so I'd think it has something to do with memory use.

Is the translation for your error the same as the error shown in the Microsoft topic?
Are you getting a different error/crash message when not running as admin?

Can you post the latest crash report from the game (Sims2exception)?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 7:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
It's not the same error that occurs when the game usually shuts down after a regular game problem, so I'd think it has something to do with memory use.

Is the translation for your error the same as the error shown in the Microsoft topic?
Are you getting a different error/crash message when not running as admin?

Can you post the latest crash report from the game (Sims2exception)?

The translation is the same, but the numbers are different.

When I don't run as admin, there's no error. The game shuts down without a warning.

Here's the last report.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2024.03.27 20.35.58.txt (14.8 KB, 3 downloads)