Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 12:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Showtime
Default My sims won't save
It keeps coming up error something and it just won't save ever since I downloaded some cc but I'm having nothing but problems with the sims anyway loading problems volume problems glitches etc it's a nightmare
Advertisement
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#2 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 1:11 PM
@prettymiley, please be more specific about the actual error and put some effort into your description if you want anyone to try to help you. And yes, that includes punctuation.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Mad Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 3:34 PM
Based on your several previous posts, you are playing on a laptop with an underpowered processor, an integrated graphics chip that is acting up, and 4 GB of RAM on Win 8. As you continue to add CC to your game, its performance will degrade. In fact, as you continue to play even without that, its performance will keep getting worse.

I'm actually impressed that you have been able to take your game as far as you have thus far. Would have thought base game only (no EPs or a maybe a couple of the less demanding ones), little to no CC, and short (1 to 2 hour game sessions at most) would be about the limit. But it's the nature of games like this to not throw warnings and stop working when on an overwhelmed system, instead it will still try to launch and play though very poorly then hang up and crash or refuse to save. However, eventually it will stop working entirely and possibly damage your laptop from overheating.

You probably are already familiar with this page: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics

But beyond the tips on those page, there isn't really anything else that can be done until the day comes that you have a better performing computer to play on. Or perhaps switch to a less intensively demanding game such as TS2.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 4:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
@prettymiley, please be more specific about the actual error and put some effort into your description if you want anyone to try to help you. And yes, that includes punctuation.

Jeez Louise don't have to be so nasty you're picking on the wrong girl, I can write the way I want

And it's error 12

I am so angry about this I'm reporting you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Based on your several previous posts, you are playing on a laptop with an underpowered processor, an integrated graphics chip that is acting up, and 4 GB of RAM on Win 8. As you continue to add CC to your game, its performance will degrade. In fact, as you continue to play even without that, its performance will keep getting worse.

I'm actually impressed that you have been able to take your game as far as you have thus far. Would have thought base game only (no EPs or a maybe a couple of the less demanding ones), little to no CC, and short (1 to 2 hour game sessions at most) would be about the limit. But it's the nature of games like this to not throw warnings and stop working when on an overwhelmed system, instead it will still try to launch and play though very poorly then hang up and crash or refuse to save. However, eventually it will stop working entirely and possibly damage your laptop from overheating.

You probably are already familiar with this page: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics

But beyond the tips on those page, there isn't really anything else that can be done until the day comes that you have a better performing computer to play on. Or perhaps switch to a less intensively demanding game such as TS2.

Yes I have left my computer in to fix the compatibility and ram memory etc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 5:04 PM Last edited by igazor : 29th Jul 2015 at 5:14 PM. Reason: self-censoring the off-topic stuff
More RAM if the lappie can take it (not all of them can) might help a little bit. It might not. But please be realistic, there is nothing you can do about its processor or integrated graphics.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 5:11 PM
More RAM if the lappie can take it (not all of them can) might help a little bit. It might not. But please be realistic, there is nothing you can do about its processor or integrated graphics.

I know it's not my place to say this here, sorry, but am afraid that reporting the site's moderators isn't going to help your game run better either.

Great so I have a sucky laptop luckily I've got another laptop but it has terrible daytime and nighttime shoes cc and I couldn't get rid of it how can I transfer all my cc from my new laptop to my old one?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 5:21 PM
I would say it was just not made for things like this game, but it might have other redeeming qualities. Does the other laptop actually have better specs? If not, you might be just trading one set of problems for another.

You could blast the other one's game folder (within documents) away and start over, installing each CC item again. Or you could try copying your DCCache folder to a thumb drive and copying it over, replacing the old one. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Package based CC and mods are easier, you could just copy your Mods folder over, again using a thumb drive.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 5:33 PM
I would say it was just not made for things like this game, but it might have other redeeming qualities. Does the other laptop actually have better specs? If not, you might be just trading one set of problems for another.

You could blast the other one's game folder (within documents) away and start over, installing each CC item again. Or you could try copying your DCCache folder to a thumb drive and copying it over, replacing the old one. Sometimes that works, sometimes not. Package based CC and mods are easier, you could just copy your Mods folder over, again using a thumb drive.

How about sending my sims 3 downloads through Hotmail ?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 6:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettymiley
And it's error 12...

Error 12 is insufficient memory to create the save files; apparently the game copies everything required for the save files into memory before saving.

FWIW, I run Sims3 on a Vista 32 system with a mere 2gig RAM and a 512meg vid card; the only EPs in use are Ambitions and Seasons, this configuration runs at 92%-93% RAM usage. I rarely get an Error 12, usually only after extensive time in Build/Buy mode, but three things seem to have helped me (in all but one instance): 1 - have Twallan's Overwatch running and, 2- continue playing til after midnight, go into Edit Town mode for a few seconds then return to live mode, 3 - wait til just after 3AM (when Overwatch does its cleanup) and then save.

I've heard, though I've not yet needed to try this, that you can manually create a save after getting an Error 12. Do not exit the game but ALT+TAB out, go to the "documents....\sims3" folder and check the "currentgame.sims3" folder, if it is not empty copy that folder to your saves folder and rename it to something you will recognize. Go back to the game and exit. When you play again you should see that save. My understanding is the files in the "currentgame" folder are copied into RAM then written to the save folder when you save ...if there is enough free RAM; when you exit the game the contents of "currentgame" are deleted, hence you must do this before exiting.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nimrod2
I've heard, though I've not yet needed to try this, that you can manually create a save after getting an Error 12. Do not exit the game but ALT+TAB out, go to the "documents....\sims3" folder and check the "currentgame.sims3" folder, if it is not empty copy that folder to your saves folder and rename it to something you will recognize. Go back to the game and exit. When you play again you should see that save. My understanding is the files in the "currentgame" folder are copied into RAM then written to the save folder when you save ...if there is enough free RAM; when you exit the game the contents of "currentgame" are deleted, hence you must do this before exiting.

I think it's the other way around. I may be oversimlpifying this, but the game you are playing is already in RAM; CurrentGame is its status as of loadup or the last successful save. Saving copies things from RAM back down into CurrentGame first, and then into Saves.

It would then probably depend on how far into the save process things got before crapping out. If the save was not complete enough while unloading from RAM (how much "enough" is would be anyone's guess), then the files in CurrentGame would either be too incomplete to load or might later lead to a corrupt ongoing save. I've tried a few times over the years, nothing definitive, and never got that to work even though all of the file sizes looked about right.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:06 PM
I'm on my other laptop now, how can i find out if its compatible?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 7:14 PM
wait here it is

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 2 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 2 RAM: 3 CPU Speed: 2194 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2525 RAM: 2936 Adjusted RAM: 2424 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 7 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 1
OS SP major ver: 1
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz
Family: 6
Model: 7
Cores: 2
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 2936MB
Free memory: 1550MB
User: Ashleigh
Computer: ASHLEIGH-TOSH
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Name (database): Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 2a42, Board: ff001179, Chipset: 0007
Driver: igdumdx32.dll, Version: 8.15.10.1883, GUID: D7B78E66-6902-11CF-9275-0ADFA7C2C535
Driver version: 1883
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 1344MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 0
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 2
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 1
EdgeScrollingWarning 0
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 9
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 0
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 1
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
=== Default Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 0
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 2
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 1
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:00 PM
Slightly better processor (at least it's not Celeron);
Less RAM (only 3 GB);
Integrated graphics, ranks a "maybe" on base game only.

Not seeing why this one would be substantially better than the other one, honestly. Your own mileage may vary.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:21 PM
I think it's the other way around.....

You may well be correct. I gleaned this tidbit of data while researching the function of the various game folders.

OTOH I do believe something is written to RAM during the save process. As noted, my system shows 92%-93% RAM usage with Sims3 running, when I get an Error 12 that usage has gone to 95%, so something has utilized another 400meg or so of RAM. I also think this is why going to another mode (Build/Buy or Edit Town) then back to Live mode before saving often helps - the Live game is shuffled off to the swap file then, when you return, is reloaded, but only the required data for your game is reloaded, not the numerous files accumulated during play (said accumulation being the reason an Error 12 is more likely the longer you play).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:29 PM
so do i need a new laptop? i think the obvious answer is yes but ill have to go to pc world or curries, but what should i say? can i have a laptop that is compatiable with the sims3?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettymiley
so do i need a new laptop? i think the obvious answer is yes but ill have to go to pc world or curries, but what should i say? can i have a laptop that is compatiable with the sims3?

Sims3 is heavily dependent on RAM, not so much on raw CPU power. Since most laptops utilize integrated video (on the motherboard instead of a dedicated card), system RAM is shared with video, so less is available for programs. (So my desktop with 2gig RAM runs Sims3 quite well while a laptop with 2gig would have problems.) Sims3 with all the EPs should have at least 4gig RAM available, so if you are looking at a new system (laptop) go for at least 8gig RAM; minimum 2.5gig CPU; and, while this is certainly arguable, I would opt for W7 (it seems a better gaming platform than W8 or W10).
Instructor
#18 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 10:28 PM
Yeah I can report that Windows 7 works better for games then windows 8(Don't know about ten)and on my desktop once I worked out a few kinks running it with the EPs, CC, and mods works fine but I would not try it with less. I find that I only really have problems if I play for four hours or more, also switching from one mode to another seems to solve alot of these problems.

Also Errortrap and Overwatch make the game run much smoother, and I am not sure if they do this or not but it at least seems as if the game uses a little less ram when they are running.

Yeah and to run anything like The Sims 3 I am afraid you will need at least 2.5 gigs of speed, I run it on a multicore 4.3 gig and before putting overwatch and errortrap on I had some issues, those two programs are a life saver.

Oh and it can never hurt to save your game to a different file each time you save so that if something does go wrong you don't lose the whole game. Also backing up your saved game and sims to USB flash drive will keep you from losing them even if your whole laptop goes belly up, all you have to do then is install the game on your new computer and then move the saved games and Sims to the My Documents folder that the new game creates. I have done this with Windows 7 to move Sims and Files from my PC to the family PC for my sister and it works just fine.