Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2023 at 8:24 PM
Default Extracting mods from multi-purpose mod .packages
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure this out by myself for some while now and decided I needed to ask someone with more experience. I'm usually pretty tech savvy and know a bunch about file editing and such but I feel overwhelmed.

How would I be able to "extract" a mod function from a multi-purpose .package? So for example, using simler90's wonderful Gameplay Core mod, how would I go on about making a seperate .package file with just one function from the main .package file? Like if I want to take "Mod A" that is included in the .package, but NOT include "Mod B, Mod C or Mod D (etc)", and make that into its own seperate .package?

Sorry if my explanation makes no sense, I've been trying for a couple of hours straight now to fiddle with things myself and my brain has become mush. I figure it has something to do with clipping a part of the code within the files inside of the package file and simply making a new one with that clip but... I am lost on where the heck that is. I could not for the life of me find an existing tutorial or anything, but I suspect I might've been using wrong words in my search. If anyone has one however, I would gladly take it.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 24th May 2023 at 11:16 AM
Generally, it's a little oversimplified to think of different parts of a single mod as multiple mods that have been merged together. Though I relate to the sentiment of feeling like it should be easier than it appears. TS3 specifically just works with scripts that aren't as immediately human-readable for someone without experience, unlike all of the pure XML modding in TS4 for example.

It's a little easier with this mod specifically, because simler90's changelogs list the resources they edited for each function.
In this case, it's a matter of familiarising yourself with script modding so you know what you are looking at and how to get to the resources you need.
All of a mod's code is typically in a single S3SA resource. You'd want to note down what functions were edited for the parts you want, find them within the script, and copy verbatim into a new project- taking care that all references go with it.
(It may not be perfect for mods that don't offer their source code.)

I'd recommend Battery's tutorial and the one linked from it for an up-to-date/modern starting point. The same methods used to get the base game scripts prepped can be applied to the mod you are interested in editing to extract and inspect.