Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:03 AM
Default Do You Make SIMs that Actually Look like Yourself &/or People You Actually Know IRL?
I do and here's proof:

Well I tried to make my SIM look just like me IRL but the game does have its limitations

And here's another SIM I made. He is a real life friend of mine

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:13 AM
My avatar is my failed attempt at making a self sim...

I hate it when the voices in my head talk about me as though I were not there...
Theorist
#3 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:14 AM
Good job I try to but as you said the game has it's limitations. The only self sim I ever made was in TS2 ... haven't made self sims since then. I do make sims that look like friends and family.. at least I TRY to

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Alchemist
#4 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:28 AM
I have never ever during the whole Sims history - from The Sims to Sims 3 - made a self sim or sim based on anyone I know. I have never found it appealing.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I have never ever during the whole Sims history - from The Sims to Sims 3 - made a self sim or sim based on anyone I know. I have never found it appealing.

I made myself in game because it lets me (with my Avatar of course) do things I can never do IRL. For example I can't drive IRL because I have poor eyesight, was born rather cursed with it.

Also I can do impossible fictional things in game like using Magic and Ghost Hunting. With "nraas Woohooer" I can have same sex couples get pregnant, something you can never really do IRL.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:53 AM
I made a sim based off of myself once, but I couldn't play her long and I've never actually set out to make a self sim. I've never made friends either. There's just something about it that really unsettles me. I have made a couple sims based off characters from live action shows, but I'm always thinking of the character and not the actor when I do that. My sims are almost always based off characters from my writing or become characters in a new story. That's actually how I fleshed out backstory for one of my character's parents.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:54 AM
I have once, but never let them run around unsupervised. Even with the "Loner," "Unflirty," and "Dislikes Children" traits, they always end up in a relationship if I'm not controlling the household. >_<;
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 3:21 AM
I tried making a self sim whom I love but realized she was just too pretty.

When I do make sims, while adjusting sliders I do see similarities of people I have met and been successful with a few celebrities.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 3:51 AM
When it comes to self-sims, I can beat anyone here.

I have a copy of my family tree going back to the sixteenth century. In TS2, I recreated it. I got all the way back to myself and played that sim. Granted, it looked nothing like me, but it had way more history than any other self-sim I could hope to create.
Test Subject
#10 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 3:56 AM
I've made one of myself before, but I like to play characters that I write short stories about. I even have one character that I consider my alter-ego and I play as him a lot. Then fun thing about playing yourself sometimes is that you can put your sim self in all these crazy situations and its like you are in those crazy situations.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 4:25 AM
I've made Sims of myself, my family, and a couple friends recently, but I hardly ever actually play as self-Sims.
Inventor
#12 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 4:34 AM
My selfsim usually has as a habit of randomly fistfighting ea-puddings. After a while I replaced every pudding with my selfsim and Sunset Valley just became really disturbing.
Instructor
#13 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 5:09 AM
I've made myself and my wife at one pint but more often what I have done has been to make avatars of peoples characters from LARPs I use to go to. Made for some interesting games doing fictional characters.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#14 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 5:34 AM
My avatar is my self-sim.

Strangers in a Strange Land--The Shin Yi Legacy | last updated 3.7.2014
My Simblr | Is probably NSFW
Field Researcher
#15 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CRV13
Do You Make SIMs that Actually Look like Yourself &/or People You Actually Know IRL?

I just focus on trying not to make them look like hideous monsters.
Inventor
#16 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 8:22 AM
My avatar is NOT my self-sim.

From time to time I use my self-sim for gameplay and I have made sims of all my family, friends and co-workers to populate the town. Later I found it rather weird to see those families (not in my active household) split up and mixed with other sims that were not meant to be in one household (e.g. my brother with one of my co-workers who is actually married with someone else). However, I still like to play just with my self-sim to see children grow up and have their own children.
Scholar
#17 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 9:47 AM
Generally no, although I did create a sim to look like me... I just don't use her, cause even with the "right" traits, she'd still be too social and happy.

C-A
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#18 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 10:08 AM
I made a self-sim once to place it in the staff section of the homepage of the department I was working for at that time. I never got any comments, which means that my representation of myself as a Sim was either really successful or that people do not really look at the staff section of websites.
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 11:38 AM Last edited by Nauthiz. : 5th Apr 2014 at 11:57 AM.
Soon before TS2 Pets came out, my best friend's dog died. He was over twenty years old, she had him almost all her life and was devastated. I told her that the first pet I'd ever create in game would be sim version of her dog. Sadly, due to the game limitations, the dog didn't look at all like original, but she loved him anyway.

I've never had any inclinations to make my simself until 2008, when I suddenly decided to make one. Despite the game limitations she came out suprisingly looking like me, several times I reacted "Gasp! It's me!" while playing. And a few strange things happened. When I first played her, just after entering the house, she looked out the window and started to cheer. A few seconds later, thunder rolled. I myself love thunderstorms, but never had any Sim earlier or later cheering at them, only my simself did it :-) Later I've downloaded for her a custom car made by FreshPrince and made her drive it (I was in a middle of a driving course at that time). A few days later I bought almost identical car in real life - the offer came out of nowhere and was too good to pass up, although I didn't have a license yet and was not looking for a car... The game is magical, what can I say :-)

Despite all this I didn't play her for long, mainly because I didn't play the game very often at that time. But I took a lot of her pictures and to this day I use them as avatars. As of the avatar I have here - lots of people think it's my real picture, only a few immediately recognize it's a Sim :-)

When TS3 came out, the first sim I made was my simself, to "personally" investigate the new game. But I was in the hurry while creating her and she didn't look very similar, so I quickly lost interest in her. Later, I made a better version and I also made a simself of my aforementioned best friend (she doesn't play the game, but loves to hear about my sims' antics and always asks for pictures), but I didn't play them either.

Until TS3 Pets came out. It was time to make a better version of my friend's dog. Again I was in a hurry to start playing, but the dog came out perfect - my friend later said that the pictures and videos made her cry, she felt as if her pet came back to life. I played a testing game of Pets with her and her dog's simselves for a few sim weeks - until the dog was at the point of dying, so I lost interest in it and moved to other families :-)

Then the Supernatural EP came out. Mind you, I don't like at all the supernatural aspects of the game, I usually play it as realistic as possible. I bought the EP just for a few items and the lunar cycle. So, to try out things I'll never see again, I decided to play a vanilla testing game (I usually play it heavily modded) and the three of us - me, my friend and the dog - settled in the Moonlight Falls.

And it caught on. I've never been so captivated by the game, it never felt so personal. Back in TS2 my simself was a witch, so I decided to make her one in TS3 too. But I started her as a human with a goal to find the right elixir - it took a long time. There was lots of funny incidents - for example, I adore frogs, they're just my favourite animals, and I was really happy to learn there's an enchantment to turn sims into them. I was sooo going to try it - but before I reached the needed level of witchcraft, Beatrice Crumplebottom autonomously turned ME into a frog! My simself spent a few days like this until I figured out I don't need an romantic interest to kiss me... Then the dog went on an long escapade (later I learned that his real-life counterpart had done exactly the same a few times) and he came back so hungry and tired that animal control took it from us citing neglect (as if it was our fault!). I wanted to adopt him back, but he disappeared form the pet pool (seems like they put them down in the sim pet shelter!). I wanted to get him back with cheats, but my friend (the real-life one) told me to leave it as it is... And speaking of romance interests - I planted a special sim for my simself (no EA ones for me, thank you), but they couldn't meet each other for a few sim weeks. When I finally managed to find him and woo him, he was then snatched by Bailey Swain... twice. :-p For some reason it all felt very emotional to me, I started to really identify myself with my simself. I was very upset when the boyfriend didn't want to kiss her and when he rolled the want to propose marriage, I literally had tears in my eyes. Then I built my first wedding chapel (I've never bothered with one before, but my simself deserved the best) and they lived happily ever after until the Seasons EP came out and I moved on to different kind of playstyle :-)

I almost forgot, I also played briefly The Sims Medieval, starting the game with my simself as a queen. It seemed the most fitting. I planned to base the other characters on some of my friends, but I guess the game didn't suit me, I quickly got bored with it.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 12:04 PM
I did myself on TS2 too but the lack of any body sliders didn't sit well with me as I do love my fat self :D

But at least in TS2 I was a "proper, Classical and non-Twilight" Vampire.

I also miss TS2's ability to "paint" your own Custom paintings
Field Researcher
#21 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 4:30 PM
I was messing around with CAS one day and accidentally created a friend of mine.... the resemblance was uncanny. So I decided, what the heck, I'll play her for a while. But it felt strange "controlling" my friend.... so I found her a nice guy to marry, got her a dog and started playing another household. With Twallan's story progression, I saw notices of Tanya having kids, getting old, and eventually dying. Odd part, I NEVER ran into her in town to make a sim friend of my real friend.

Back in S2 days, I once made my brother and sister and stuck them in a house together, but didn't play them. Every time I saw them on a community lot, they were arguing. Go figure. In real life, we all get along pretty well.
Theorist
#22 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 6:09 PM
I once made a simself of my mother, me and my best friend who was practically my brother. I had us all in the same household, and everything was fine and dandy...until one day, Johnny (we'll call my bestfriend johnny) and my mother were alone and I was out and about with my simself. I flashback to my house and Johnny was making the moves on my momma. I immediately exited the game and probably stayed away from the sims for a good day or two...then I was like oh what the heck it's just a game! So I went back it was a great, regular, playthrough, Johnny was under my full control, every second, and my mother and I were just free and doing our own things. It was about 2am in the Sim Time, and I had Johnny go to the bathroom, and as the screen panned, I saw my mother and my simself, doing things, a mother and son shouldnt do. So thus, from that moment I immediately deleted the game, and never have I ever tever fee fi fo EVER made any simselfs ever again.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 6:29 PM
I find simselfs too creepy but good job with yours
#24 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 6:50 PM
I never make selfsims or sims that look like people I personally know. This question reminds me of the time I fell out with a friend over a sim! It was years ago back when Sims 2 pets expansion pack first came out. I had this born in game sim that looked a LOT like my now ex-best friend Leanne. I'd unintentionally chosen a similar hair style and look as my friend for the sim. The sim was the daughter of Tara Kat and Chester Gieke. I gave the sim a nerdy look with curly red hair and glasses because her father was a nerd and both her parents were redheads. Tara & Chester died and their daughter was left raising all their cats.

My friend was over at my house and she was a sims fan too so I showed her my game. When Leanne saw the sim she went berserk thinking I was making fun of her (my friend was a curly redhead interested in pc games, cats, books, scifi stuff - the same stuff that was in the Gieke-Kat household cause thats what Tara & Chester liked), making her out to be the "crazy cat lady loner". I wasn't. It was a total accident the sim looked like Leanne. She wouldn't listen and we fell out. Never talked to each other again. I never realised how hyper-sensitive Leanne was about her looks before that day. I suppose it was just a matter of time before we fell out for good. We'd barely had anything in common anymore anyway.

I do have a few celebrity sims in my game that I made when I first got the Sims3. I have a vampire Mariska Hargitay running around Sunset Valley. She's the only one left. lol.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 7:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GirlWithTheStripedSocks
When Leanne saw the sim she went berserk thinking I was making fun of her

She isn't an true SIMs fan if she doesn't appreciate the fun of "making fun" of people in SIMs games. I mean half the fun is putting our SIMs in crazy situations isn't it?

Same is true for players who make SIMs based on actual Celebrities for their games. They create 'em so they can interact with the celebrities albeit in a virtual environment because we can't all physically or socialize interact with real life celebrities that easily. At least in game, we can. It's only creepy if you flesh out your fantasies in game though.
Page 1 of 3