Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 7:59 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default trying to get an hq mod to work
hey guys...
so i've been trying to get an hq mod to work with my game for a while now. i've tried dach's as well as awtmk's on the lowest setting. i've updated my graphics drivers, am using the recommended optimal settings for my card, have cleaned my computer, and am running ts3 using game booster with no .packages installed for now. after trying all that, i've come to the sad realization that my laptop is just too sh*tty to run an hq mod. here are my specs, if someone can confirm or provide any other methods for getting the mod to work, i would be very grateful:

GPU: GeForce GT 550M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
Memory: 8.00GB RAM (7.90 GB usable)

if i left out any pertinent info, let me know and I'll post it. thanks for reading
Advertisement
Scholar
#3 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 8:22 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 27th Apr 2015 at 9:12 PM.
GeForce GT 550M <<-
Not really, depends which HQ variant ognymphet is trying to use, some of them would kill much, much better hardware.

Anyway, there're people quite confident with using these improvements and I believe, they would be able to give you reasonable advice if you get 'em a chance. Be more specific ognymphet, please. Is your GPU recognized properly? Which variant of HQ mod you try to use and in which *way* you try to do this. Such things.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#5 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 1:53 AM
yep. 'Till OP write something specific there're just speculations.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 5:19 AM
@Elaine i'm not sure what you mean by my gpu being recognized properly, but i don't think there are any issues with it. i've tried both dach's (which is 4000something, so i never had much confidence that would work) and the 2048x2048 setting of awtmk's, with the 256px texture size multiplier. by not working, i mean the graphics are unchanged. the game runs, nothing crashes, but everything looks the same as it did before i installed the mod, which is why i took that to mean my gpu couldn't process the changes. for dach's i replaced the game/bin grahpicsrules file. awtmk's version makes changes directly to the file.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 10:26 AM
Tattoos and accessories are also good things to look at to see if the mod is working.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Apr 2015 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
If graphics are unchanged it means the mod is not loaded, so something is wrong there. If your GPU can't handle it, it will glitch out or lag. But are you sure nothing is unchanged? Just to make sure we're on the same page, the HQ mod is for "close ups." Did you zoom in to your sims face? Most notable part is the eyelash and hair, it will be a lot finer and clearer. If you really don't see any changes, it means the mod is probably not installed properly. Someone else will have to help you with that one since I don't use the mod.

Concerning your GPU etc... etc... oh, well we probably should've just asked you to post your deviceconfig. It is a log file in your TS3 user folder. Please copy the content and post it here in spoilers tag.

i think the problem may be that i was looking for changes in CAS rather than in the game itself. i'm going to check later tonight to see and, if that doesn't work, i'll post my log file for you guys to take a look at. thanks for your help!