Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 9:57 AM
Default Sims 2 and MTS are still here and goin strong.... 10 years later :)
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
MTS2 as a site won't die until it is no longer feasible to sustain the server costs for a game that really only has a couple years left in it.

Bein the nerd I am and in my browsing in the wiki it led me to a very old thread which is where I took the above snippet from. It gave me a bit of a giggle when I read that portion seein as here we are, almost 10 years to the day from that post, STILL here and STILL goin strong. The power that is Sims 2.

(Yeah, yeah, I know they added in S3 and S4, but S2 is still rockin it :P)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:55 PM
if you go to the downloads page of each game you'll notice sims 2 has more latest downloads

the popularity of ts2 might be due to the realism and general fact that it's a great game and the popularity of MTS is most likey due to the fact that without mods your game will eventually be bland and mods improve your chances of preventing corription sometimes etc.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Theorist
#3 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 5:05 PM
Sims 2 has all those little things that show how much effort they put into it, and offers much, much more freedom and control than 3 and 4. While some things are indeed nicer in the newer titles (like supernaturals) Sims 2 is the most "solid" title.

In some ways 3 and 4 almost seem like a wholly different series with all those RPG elements and the open world basically taking away control of all but one family from the player. You can't really have something like Pleasantview in Sims 3. If you'd recreate it it'd be like a Sim-week until the Calientes and Don have spawned inexplicable clone babies, the Pleasants have been deleted by the game ("moved away") and Cassandra is married to Herb Oldie or something, all without any input from the player. That's not fun to me. I want to be the one to mess up their lives.
Alchemist
#4 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:21 PM
just did some checking.
earliest page through the Wayback Machine site for the current main page ( www.modthesims.info ) is dated 3/2/2009.
oldest thread in "Site News" was made on 5/14/2004.
I guess there was a change in the link and that the pre-change content was moved to current site. not sure what the link was before the change.

the base game was released in September 2004.
the main site dates from 5/31/2003.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 10:58 PM
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Dec 2017 at 12:10 AM
Ah, memories

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Theorist
#7 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CaliBrat
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Hold up! When did Delphy switch names to Tashiketh?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Sims 2 has all those little things that show how much effort they put into it, and offers much, much more freedom and control than 3 and 4. While some things are indeed nicer in the newer titles (like supernaturals) Sims 2 is the most "solid" title.

In some ways 3 and 4 almost seem like a wholly different series with all those RPG elements and the open world basically taking away control of all but one family from the player. You can't really have something like Pleasantview in Sims 3. If you'd recreate it it'd be like a Sim-week until the Calientes and Don have spawned inexplicable clone babies, the Pleasants have been deleted by the game ("moved away") and Cassandra is married to Herb Oldie or something, all without any input from the player. That's not fun to me. I want to be the one to mess up their lives.

I bought sims 4 last year an played it for about three minutes (that was money well spent). I thought they'd done away with the stupid story progression.

The thing about that feature is that most of us probably wouldn't mind if something like that were done with the townies and NPCs. But, we like to actually play with our playables. It's like if there were no pause on your other video games and the wars or whatever you're playing, just went on while you lived your life.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Inventor
#9 Old 17th Dec 2017 at 10:13 PM
Living the memories is paradise. I'm glad this game is still going strong, despite maybe a handful of complaints of why it won't die. It's like how Windows XP is still the third most popular OS as of this year.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
Hold up! When did Delphy switch names to Tashiketh?

Several weeks ago - he doesn't like to be reminded of Delphy even when we call him NotDelphyAnymore.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 3:20 PM

This may be the best description of Sims 3 I have ever seen
Alchemist
#12 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kamoodle5
It's like how Windows XP is still the third most popular OS as of this year.
which are 1st and 2nd?
and where did you get the info?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 9:47 PM
In some ways 3 and 4 almost seem like a wholly different series with all those RPG elements and the open world basically taking away control of all but one family from the player. You can't really have something like Pleasantview in Sims 3. If you'd recreate it it'd be like a Sim-week until the Calientes and Don have spawned inexplicable clone babies, the Pleasants have been deleted by the game ("moved away") and Cassandra is married to Herb Oldie or something, all without any input from the player.

Isn't that what that NRASS mod is for, to stop all of that nonsense?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#14 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Isn't that what that NRASS mod is for, to stop all of that nonsense?

So *should* deselecting the story progression option (but it doesn't).

While a little better, the mod can only stop it to a degree, it can't stop things like Sims forming and developing relationships completely or prevent them from earning money while playing others (there goes any challange) or running around around at the local park at 3 am in the morning or while they should be at work/school (very annoying when you return to a particular family). I'm not entirely sure about pregnancies and if Sims will give birth while you're away with it on, because I haven't ever played rotational long enough in Sims 3. Not that a proper rotational playstyle even works in Sims 3, especially with Seasons installed.
No mod can turn the game into something it isn't, it can only approximate the degree of control Sims 2 gives you freely, and to a very unsatisfying degree.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 11:00 PM
Forming relationships is normal, sims 2 sims do that. If people want sims 2 game style they should play sims 2. I never got into 3 because I hated the sims themselves.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#16 Old 18th Dec 2017 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Forming relationships is normal, sims 2 sims do that. If people want sims 2 game style they should play sims 2. I never got into 3 because I hated the sims themselves.

Uhm that's exactly what I'm doing? I was explaining why I preferred it to Sims 3?
Scholar
#17 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emerald1234
if you go to the downloads page of each game you'll notice sims 2 has more latest downloads

the popularity of ts2 might be due to the realism and general fact that it's a great game and the popularity of MTS is most likey due to the fact that without mods your game will eventually be bland and mods improve your chances of preventing corription sometimes etc.

I'm only making this point because it makes me sad:

Most discussion on reddit /r/thesims is about Sims 4. There's definitely a whole group of players who think that's the version to play.
Scholar
#18 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 5:35 PM
I switch 2 and 3. 3 is when I wanna play with one family or just one sim. Sometimes I play 3 by just controlling my own Avatar sim and even when I have other family members I let them do their own thing. It's my favorite one. Sims 2 though you need to micromanage them and they have a lot of drama and interesting stories, they also act and react a bit more realistic(though they still go back to playing video games right after their parents died).
Inventor
#19 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
which are 1st and 2nd?
and where did you get the info?

First and second is Windows 7 followed by 10, and here's where I got the info from.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wind...he-world-2017-5

Granted this article is a few months old but seems fairly accurate. XP may have lost a little more popularity since then, but it doesn't seem it's gonna go away anytime soon.

Check out my profile for homes and community lots ready for download: My Homes and Stuff
Scholar
#20 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 6:03 PM

The awesome mod allows TS2 style rotation I heard. Sims 2 and 3 are very different from each other. They have completely different play styles.
Some get turned off by rotation style and having to play every family even if you don't like them, some hate story progression like you do. I prefer to stick with one family most of the time so Sims 3 is best for me.
Instructor
#21 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 6:12 PM
Why The Sims 3 fans keep spawning on TS2 thread?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 9:37 PM
Uhm that's exactly what I'm doing? I was explaining why I preferred it to Sims 3?

I was referring to this bit

Quote:
it can't stop things like Sims forming and developing relationships completely

Which you are referring back to Sims 3, right?

So I posted back saying Sims 2 sims will also form relationships. Which most of us like. Thank goodness they don't go and earn money though, that I wouldn't like. Although with Monique's computer loans they will lose money it if you consider going more into debt losing money (which I do) With that you will be off with a sim on a community lot and get a pop up about another playable saying Alex just added -2,459 in interest to his loan!... One reason I started using the loan jar more.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 9:40 PM
@joandsarah77 - if they have a positive balance in the bank account, they might also gain interest while they're a visitor on another lot. It's always nice.

I've had problems with apartment residents getting child support payments for their neighbours, though. LOL.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Instructor
#24 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 9:55 PM
Good memories. When I first came here about 7 years ago, it was because I needed help with something, called EA Games on the phone, and they recommended this site. (The actual creators of the game had no idea how to fix it, lol)

And then Mootilda helped me with my issue. She helped me with many things over the years. She would laugh when I called her "Supreme Cow Goddess."

My problem was that my Sim had married the drama teacher--the one who immediately falls in love with everyone. I thought it was a glitch, turns out she was designed that way. I finally got rid of her by putting her in the bin and deleting her, lol, and proudly came back to the forum to explain I'd figured out how to deal with her.

That was my first lesson in "THINGS YOU MUST NEVER EVER DO" lol
Theorist
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Dec 2017 at 11:14 PM
(had to look) I started here in Nov of 2006, back when it was called MTS2. I joined the S2C when it was it's own place and read the forums some, but back then, I was very much just a lurker and a downloader. I also joined InSim and MATY back then too, but same as here, was just to lurk and download. Back then I found it hard to join in as it seemed everyone knew everyone else and sorta cliquish. I'm not sayin it was, just that was my perception at that time. I think it was about a yearish after the InSim.com meltdown that I sorta drifted away from playin the Sims and as such comin to the sites online.

Then twoish or so years ago, goin on 3 in January, I reformatted my HD. When I started puttin stuff back in I reloaded Sims 2 and that got me playin again. This time around though I had time under my belt and as such I wasn't the shy quiet wallflower I'd been all my life. It took me all that time to finally realize that I am who I am and didn't give a ...err ... didn't care what others thought of me in RL. As that became more and more me, I was able to let it be me in all ways and so was able to jump in and just make a spot for myself here.

I still can't mod my way out of a paper bag ... :P
Page 1 of 2