Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 12:39 PM
Only lots
Guys, I think I have a problem. Whenever I want to download something, I am only able to download a lot, but not furniture, or hairstyles or anything. Whenever I try it, the file asks me for some kind of folder (I must note that I have THE WHOLE SET, every expansion and stuff clasificated as a folder with its name, except for the base where I have DOUBLE DELUXE - BASE and NIGHTLIFE). Where should I put the thing I want to download? What shoud I do? I can aynone give me tips or something?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 12:44 PM
Have you read the Game Help tutorial on downloading custom content? Downloads for Fracking Idiots (please don't be offended by the name, I doubt they meant it as an insult but rather a way to say it's very basic step by step for those who are very unsure). If you haven't read it, give that a go and see if it helps.

If you have read it, perhaps you can specify more clearly where in the tutorial you get tripped up, and we'll figure it out.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Have you read the Game Help tutorial on downloading custom content? Downloads for Fracking Idiots (please don't be offended by the name, I doubt they meant it as an insult but rather a way to say it's very basic step by step for those who are very unsure). If you haven't read it, give that a go and see if it helps.

If you have read it, perhaps you can specify more clearly where in the tutorial you get tripped up, and we'll figure it out.

I read it, but WHERE exactly I can find it? On this site? Or somewhere else? Is there a link fo that? I do have space space on my hard disc and I will do anything that is required of me, remember that I am new here, just please tel me where to look or what to do.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
I read it, but WHERE exactly I can find it? On this site? Or somewhere else? Is there a link fo that? I do have space space on my hard disc and I will do anything that is required of me, remember that I am new here, just please tel me where to look or what to do.

Alright. I absolutely understand that you are new and that it's hard, I get it. I was once new here and found the site extremely confusing.

When you say "find it", what are you referring to? The tutorial? The custom content you want to download?

When I first tried to use Game Help, I could not figure out how to get to the article itself. Maybe you're smarter than I was, but on the off chance you're getting tripped up on the same thing here's a photo. To see the next part of the tutorial, you have to click a link at the bottom. It'll keep asking you to click to move on to the next thing, because that's how they decided to format it.

See the black box and the link that's underlined in red? Click that, and it takes you part 2, then when you read part 2, there's another link to click to continue to part 3.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 2:22 PM
Guys, I think I have a problem. Whenever I want to download something, I am only able to download a lot, but not furniture, or hairstyles or anything. Whenever I try it, the file asks me for some kind of folder (I must note that I have THE WHOLE SET, every expansion and stuff clasificated as a folder with its name, except for the base where I have DOUBLE DELUXE - BASE and NIGHTLIFE). Where should I put the thing I want to download? What shoud I do? I can aynone give me tips or something?

It might be a stupid question, but you do have a Downloads folder, right? Because lots aren't installed into it, so you wouldn't need it for them, but everything else pretty much is.

C:\Users\Kirsty\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

This is where it should be (at least on my computer). If you don't have one then just make one in the Sims 2 folder.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 2:29 PM
Basically you need an unzipping program, you unzip and place the file in your Download folder.

It sounds like you don't have a program associated with the file. Try right clicking what you have downloaded and select 'open with' and seeing if you have a program that unzips the file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 2:52 PM
If there isn't a Downloads folder, that's no problem. You can just create a folder called Downloads which the game will handle like it handles the folders it created by itself.

In the Downloads folder you place all the downloads for the Sims 2 which end in .package (I don't know what that ending is called in English). The downloads which end in .sims2pack need to be installed, for what you can use this little program: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=409950

You can create folders in the Downloads folder, to organize things. Lots of custom content for TheSims2 isn't properly named, so you can't recognize it whenever you look back into the Downloads folder and read the names. Say, you downloaded some wallpapers, which don't have anything wallpaper related in their name. Just create a folder in the Downloads folder called "Wallpapers" and put the .package files there.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 3:56 PM
In the Gummilutt's first post what they wrote in blue - this is link. If you click on it, it will open help page on new tab.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 4:09 PM
And we all have been there It took me nearly a week.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 4:54 PM
Alright. I absolutely understand that you are new and that it's hard, I get it. I was once new here and found the site extremely confusing.

When you say "find it", what are you referring to? The tutorial? The custom content you want to download?

When I first tried to use Game Help, I could not figure out how to get to the article itself. Maybe you're smarter than I was, but on the off chance you're getting tripped up on the same thing here's a photo. To see the next part of the tutorial, you have to click a link at the bottom. It'll keep asking you to click to move on to the next thing, because that's how they decided to format it.

See the black box and the link that's underlined in red? Click that, and it takes you part 2, then when you read part 2, there's another link to click to continue to part 3.

I mean CC an where I can get it, and more importantly, how to SUCCESSFUL to download it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 6:20 PM
We're trying to help, but without knowing more specifically what it is that's causing you trouble it's hard to help. You're asking how to successfully download a file. What is it that's happening when try you? Can you try to explain it with more words? Maybe show us a picture?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 7:20 PM
We're trying to help, but without knowing more specifically what it is that's causing you trouble it's hard to help. You're asking how to successfully download a file. What is it that's happening when try you? Can you try to explain it with more words? Maybe show us a picture?

Ok, I will try. Lets say I want some CC hair or cloth, there is the instruction how to do that and I do from A to Z everything from instruction...and nothing. I have Torrent and WinRar. I wanted to install http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=520319 and followed the instructions, but nothing happened. Do I need special program or something?
Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 7:31 PM
You download both files, and then extract them to the Downloads folder. Rather simple as that. WinRAR should suffice, you don't need any sort of bittorrent program.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 7:38 PM
Have you enabled cc? Under the game options, there is an option you need to change from off to on before cc will show in the catalogs. Take a look here: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:GCCTSU2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 10:44 PM
Ok, I will try. Lets say I want some CC hair or cloth, there is the instruction how to do that and I do from A to Z everything from instruction...and nothing. I have Torrent and WinRar. I wanted to install http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=520319 and followed the instructions, but nothing happened. Do I need special program or something?

Did you download the mesh? You need both the mesh (shape of the hair) plus the recolours of it.

You use WinRar.

Is your cc enabled?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Aug 2016 at 11:39 PM
Really dumb question but...you are going to files and actually clicking on the file names, which starts the download of said items, right? You need no special programs to download from this site, just a very ready clicky finger.

If you are doing that, then make sure you have a "Downloads" folder in your My Documents folder - EA Games/Sims 2 or Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. All those files you downloaded go there after being extracted. They won't work unless you make sure they're all package files, not zip/rar anymore. The Downloading For Frackin Idiots guide walks you through most of this.

Like others have said, some clarity on where exactly you are getting stuck would be helpful.