Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 6:50 AM
Default Never Lived-In Home Businesses?
This may seem a foolish question, but I have no clue- how do you go about making a home business without having to have Sims live on a lot prior to uploading? I know you can go between residential and community lot item catalogs by changing the lot zoning, but it runs in my head that "zoning-inappropriate" items disappear when you zone back (so things like magazine racks, changing booths, and even urinals wouldn't stick around on a residential lot)... I know there's a tag in the Upload Wizard to tick for a home business lot, but I don't know how to properly go about making an unoccupied lot that would require ticking it! Any help will be much appreciated!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 9:56 AM
Things don't disappear AFAIK - that's one technique for getting community lot things on a residential lot. I've been doing it since University.

As for making the lot a home business, I'm not sure it would be wise to do that without any sims on lot. The whole point of a home business is the sim, while resident on lot, decides to open a business and thus gets the business deed.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 1:13 PM
To make a home business lot for upload, build the lot to be suitable for running the business - grocery store downstairs and apartment upstairs or whatever - and upload it as a residential lot. The player who downloads it will then move in a family and start the business.

I've never changed community to residential, but I've changed residential to community many times and nothing disappears. The use may change - a bed on a community lot can't be slept in without a community lot sleeping hack, but it can be used for woohoo - but the item stays right where you put it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 2:36 PM
You'd need to start with a residential lot to ensure that there's a mailbox on lot - PITA to replace otherwise.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2015 at 9:32 PM
So - build a residential lot, change to community zoning without changing the mailbox and trash can, add community lot items, and change back - that sounds doable.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:25 AM
Hmmm... when I was working on my parking lots upload, I'd tried using the rezoning cheats to go from a residential lot (to let me place cars) to a community lot (so that I could build a parking lot fast-food restaurant), the cars disappeared... I wonder if vehicles might just be a weird exception, or if it just doesn't let residential objects segue into community lots nicely, or what...

And yeah, I know to start with residential to get the mailbox, and not to move Sims in before uploading (not moving them in to create a home business)! I figure the "home business" checkbox in the upload wizard is really just so the site can sort the lot properly!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:31 AM
Cars only show up if the lot is owned. Pain in the bum.

Even though the community lot items stay I don't think all are useable and some spawn NPC's. So if you place a chef stove on a Res to Com lot and return it to a Res lot the NPC will stand cooking there for all eternity. I tried a home restaurant once only, drove me nuts. Effectively unusable because the NPC's never get off them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 3:37 AM
Hmmm... Very good to know- does that hold true for other items that generate NPCs on community lots like cash registers and juice bars though? I'm making a commercial/residential street hiding a secret agency (think Kingsman: The Secret Service), so it'll have a couple tailor's shops, and I was hoping for a pub- all of which would mean things like bars, cash registers, and dishwashers, all of which (as memory serves) spawn NPCs when placed on a commercial lot, even if they're able to be placed on a residential lot even without rezoning.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 10:24 AM
Ah yes, cars - I think you have two alternatives: use object cars (there are plenty out there) or use Moghughson's parking space.
https://www.modthesims.info/d/330492
Also with this, if you like:
https://www.modthesims.info/d/424669

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 28th Jul 2015 at 10:36 AM
Bars can also be placed on res lots so those are fine. Cash registers also fine because they are used for home businesses as well as comm businesses. They don't spawn NPC's on home lots. Dishwashers spawn nothing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~