Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 10:54 PM
Default Fortune teller/gypsy: Now only option is to "dismiss". Why?
Title says it all...I no longer have the option to ask for date, etc. Gypsy will come on downtown lot but just lingers. Only option that comes up when clicking on her is "dismiss" and I don't understand why. She once worked perfectly. Any answer?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:14 PM
From what I understand, one of the later EPs (AL, I think) "broke" her. I have not seen a fix for her either, unfortunately.

Or not so unfortunately. She's really not any good for dates anyway. Regardless of how much you pay her, the dates she chooses are apparently quite random. In that way, she has always been broken.

These days, if I want to find a suitable match quickly, I use TwoJeff's Find-a-Mate Crystal Ball. Works very well at finding sims with high compatibility, like the Gypsy is supposed to (if paid well), but does not.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:32 PM
I've always wondered about that. I have called her and had her show up (but I'd thought she'd be able to sell me a Renu-U-Port-a-Chug, and she couldn't), but when she shows up on her own all I can do is send her away. I don't want to use her for dates anyway - much rather do that the old-fashioned way - but just being able to dismiss her seemed silly. And it is.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:49 PM
There are some gorgeous buyable potions (including ReNuYu port-a-chugs) at Parsimonious that solve that problem. It's a shame, though, that one would have to rely on CC for things the Gypsy ought to be able to do. Even though I don't use her anyway, it's sad to see her relegated to being nothing more than window-dressing.
Scholar
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:51 PM
Hmm, Gypsies are not broken for me and I have all EPs/SPs. But I don't have a downtown so not sure if it doesn't work in downtown?

I like using gypsies for dates, if you pay her almost max, she'll at least give you someone with 2 bolts. I had a sim who asked her for a blind date like 6 times in a row, all with 2 chemistry bolts; I just didn't like how they looked xD.

Not sure why she doesn't work for some :/

ETA: I've had a problem once where she doesn't show up at all when called, but I later found out the Visitor Controller disabled her by default or something. But that's probably not the problem in this case.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2011 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
Not sure why she doesn't work for some :/

I've got all EPs and SPs too. That is odd.

ETA: I've got the Visitor Controller also... The situation warrants further investigation and input from others, I think.
Scholar
#7 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 12:05 AM
There's always the question if you've patched the game or EP she came with, was it nightlife or freetime?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 12:12 AM
Oh goodness yes, I'm patched! I wouldn't dream of playing an unpatched game.

I just did a small test, though, and it turns out I'm not a good source of info on what default Gypsy behavior should be. I had a sim call her over. She appeared, but then teleported away immediately.

The Visitor Controller can't (I don't think) have had anything to do with it, though, because I don't have one on that lot. And it doesn't have any global features that I know of. So I'm thinking I must have some other mod that makes her disappear right away, but I've got so many mods, I can't think which one it might be.

I also don't know why I would have installed a Gypsy-banning mod in the first place, unless it was because she's broken anyway, which brings me back full circle on this.

I may have to test with a vanilla game.

ETA: She came with NL, by the way.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 12:39 AM
I had the option to buy other potions from her; just not the Port-a-Chug. Which seems like the obvious thing for her to sell, to me. That was the only time I ever tried to use her after I got all my EPs loaded.

She has also delivered a few lamps since I installed Freetime.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#10 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 1:16 AM
Do you have more options if your sim gets close to the Gypsy?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bunnylips
Title says it all...I no longer have the option to ask for date, etc. Gypsy will come on downtown lot but just lingers. Only option that comes up when clicking on her is "dismiss" and I don't understand why. She once worked perfectly. Any answer?

Have you tried to contact her under services-matchmaker when the Sim is at home?

I never have been able to interact with her when the Sim was downtown, just getting the dismiss option. I've only been able to interact with her when she was on the Sim's home lot.
Alchemist
#12 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 1:41 AM
I also had the problem with her being teleported away. It started happening on every lot, whether there was a visitor controller on it or not. It was probably some kind of conflict between the VC and another mod. Anyway, getting rid of the VC fixed the issue.
Scholar
#13 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 1:59 AM
Like I mentioned a bit earlier, it seems like VC kept the Gypsy disabled by default. I had to spawn the controller on the lot to enable it so she would appear normally. I'm not sure what other mods I have that would conflict it :/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 2:41 AM Last edited by Darby : 4th Dec 2011 at 3:36 AM.
Confirmed, Lazzybum, from TwoJeff's Visitor Controller page:
The Gypsy Hag, Mrs. Crumplehag, and the Garden Hag are banned by default in this version. Use 'Allow Annoying' to allow all of them or unban each separately.
I hadn't noticed that (or had forgotten), so I'm glad you brought it up.

Okay, so, I just did some testing in a mostly vanilla game. (I've got replacement 'hood templates and a lighting mod in the installation files that I didn't want to have to remove for this.)

They Gypsy had all options available on a home lot. I was surprised to see that my test sim (Carlos Contender, not that it matters) could buy any potion from her. Wasn't there a time when you could only get Love Potion, the ReNuYu port-a-chug, and Vamprocillen-D from her? Lycanthropic-B was only available from pet trainers, Plantophic-C from garden club members, and Witchbegone-E from head witches. I believe witches can make any of the potions, and now I'm guessing AL added the ability to buy any of them from the Gypsy? Hm.
(eta a correction: The ReNuYu Port-a-Chug is not one of the potions available from the Gypsy either in my vanilla test, or now in my regular hacked-out game with the Visitor Controller tweaked to allow her. In fact, I don't think there has ever been a way to buy non-CC ReNuYu Port-a-Chug potions, has there?)

Anyway, I took Carlos Downtown, and like Bunnylips and Orilon, had only Dismiss as an option. And like Bunnylips, I'm virtually certain it used to be possible to interact with her on community lots. I could be mis-remembering, but I seem to recall having sims buy dates from her when she'd appear on community lots.

So I still think AL may have broken her, because I really do think her services are supposed to be available on community lots, and used to be in the past.
Scholar
#15 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 7:26 AM
you are right Darby when I first started playing I had only the base game & NL, used to buy dates from her all the time on community lots plus the potions, never had an issue ( 7/10 times 3 bolts!) but in the last year or so I installed all the eps at the same time, wasn't until this thread appeared that I learned that it was one of them that 'broke' her. It's really too bad that there hasn't been a 'discovery' made on how to fix her, if only to buy the potions needed (I do have those lovely ones from Parsimonious). I used to enjoy the option of a blind date, if only to see the havoc caused if there happened to be multiple 'interests' still hanging around. My poor romance sim, constantly getting slapped around....
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 5:01 PM
I'd say it doesn't really matter, since I never use her anyway, but not being able to interact with her at all on community lots IS a problem for storytellers who use her character.

I suppose the solution to that would be to make a Gypsy in CAS. But then, you don't get shots of her with the crystal ball. *sigh*

Yeah, she really does need to be fixed, and I'm surprised no one has. Might not be possible.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 3:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
...Hmm, Gypsies are not broken for me and I have all EPs/SPs...

The gypsy works for me as well. Though I don't use her much and I think I might try this magic crystal ball someone else suggested. I never get good dates from the gypsy anyway and I hate spending the money on her.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#18 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 3:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bwinney43
The gypsy works for me as well.

On community lots?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 5th Dec 2011 at 4:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bwinney43
The gypsy works for me as well. Though I don't use her much and I think I might try this magic crystal ball someone else suggested. I never get good dates from the gypsy anyway and I hate spending the money on her.

Does she work for you just on the Sim's home lot, or on community lots as well? The problem seems to be that for most people, she some how has gotten "broken" on community lots, and the Sim can't interact with her other than "dismiss".

I stopped using her on home lots because I was never happy with the Sims she gave my Sim looking for a mate.

The find-a-mate crystal ball is available here http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=15.0

and lets you choose the kind of Sim you want, and gives you the top five Sims based on chemistry.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 8th Dec 2011 at 7:07 PM
I've never had the gypsy work properly on community lots until I got university. Currently I have all expansions except apartment and bonvoyage.
Test Subject
#21 Old 7th May 2015 at 1:50 PM
FYI, the problem is in the download folder. Remove it and the neighborhood folder, rebuild the game and she works fine.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 7th May 2015 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AstralanTX
FYI, the problem is in the download folder. Remove it and the neighborhood folder, rebuild the game and she works fine.
I see this is your first post, so welcome to ModtheSims!

You do realise that this thread is from 2011, so it's unlikely that Bunnylips is still fretting about the gypsy matchmaker! Reviving these old threads can be a good idea if you have the same problem, but it seldom helps to offer a solution 3 or 4 years later -- unless someone has posted to the thread recently saying it's still bothering them.

Seeing this old thread makes me wonder what's happening to Darby. Not so long ago she was a very frequent poster and I miss her contributions.

On the substantive issue of the matchmaker, my Sims have little use for matchmakers, gypsies, crystal balls or potions, they seldom have any difficulty finding a date. Some of my Romance Sims have it to a fine art: they reckon they'll be making out with any Sim they choose within 24 hours of the first approach! All my Sims are much better at this dating and romance game than I am. I'm an elder and still hoping for a first kiss!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 7th May 2015 at 2:37 PM
This thread is 4 years old, I am sure they have solved their gypsy issue by now.

Ninja'd by Andrew who is much kinder than I am even though the simself test gave me 8 points, you have 10! I have wondered about Darby as well.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#24 Old 7th May 2015 at 5:30 PM
Darby last posted in the summer last year so it looks as though she left for good. Simmers come and go I guess.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#25 Old 7th May 2015 at 6:27 PM
Because she's had it with the ungrateful sims in town who can find love on their own
Page 1 of 2