Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#151 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
It's not an issue of change, but an issue of design. Game packs are very well received. From what I'm seeing, people like them more than anything else produced. The issue is that the expansion packs lack the depth they're supposed to and don't properly expand on the game - they're shallow (City Living), empty (Get Together), or underwhelming (Get To Work). Since Game Packs are focused, content is more interesting because it's developed beyond a bullet point on a box, like how Restaurants are developed more than retail).

i think it comes down to eye of the beholder opinions when critiquing anything, the people that use this forum do not represent all the people that play the game, I've heard various positive opinions about expansion packs and share some of them myself, clubs completely changed the way i play the game after a long history of generational family play since sims 2, and I bought outdoor retreat, but rarely use it. I also adore the apartment challenge of San Myshuno, but sometimes the festivals get old. When Vampires came out, I quickly became obsessed with playing and leveling them, but now I like sending helpless mortals to dangerous vampire nightclubs. It really is horrifying to helplessly have one's plasma drained because of a popular club activity. Dine out is okay, I use it here and there. I even buy all the stuff packs because I love varied official content and have been cutting down on cc. Get To Work is fulfilling when it works, I adore aliens and scientists, and clones. The spa pack got a lot of use when it was new and fresh in my game, but it often is hard to stick with specific content when new goodies come out nearly every month. Either way all categories have good points and bad points, and I guess that is the point I am trying to make. The fact they have seemingly long term goals (a whole year from now) makes it seem like it isn't going to get dropped any time soon
Advertisement
Instructor
#152 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:24 AM
I've actually theorized an entire layout for how they can enliven the franchise anew. I posted it to GirlsAskGuys here before the toddler patch happened. Yet, most of what I said there is still true today.

The current way Sims games are made has to change from top to bottom. Sims 4 is merely Sims 2 with a few different rules for MoveObjects and some new window dressings that look better. (And fewer options all-around.) If it were the powerhouse Sims 2 was, that'd be one thing. But it's more like Sims 1.9 or Sims 2.5 than a proper 4. Which has me uneasy, because Sims 3 isn't getting any more efficient or easy to run / maintain. And they can't prop that game up forever.
Mad Poster
#153 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 5:22 PM
The Sims 4 is nothing like The Sims 2... it isn't even remotely similar to The Sims 2.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#154 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
The Sims 4 is nothing like The Sims 2... it isn't even remotely similar to The Sims 2.

I totally agree. Back to loading screens and back to no CASt, but otherwise ....
Mad Poster
#155 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 10:07 PM
Saw this on SimSecret just now:

And in the comments, a bit of elaboration:
Quote:
TS1 release - TS2 announcement: 3 years, 3 months, 1 day
TS2 release - TS3 announcement: 3 years, 6 months, 5 days
TS3 release - TS4 announcement: 3 years, 11 months, 3 days
Avg. time between releases/announcements: 3 years, 6 months, 22 days
Est. TS5 announcement date: 26/3/2018
Est. time until TS4 is finally over with: 11 months, 4 days

I'm not feeling it, but it's still interesting that people are speculating about this. TS4 is too different, so you can't just draw conclusions about it's future without taking into account some other factors, but if they stick with the pattern and have TS5 out by like 2019, I'm okay with that.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#156 Old 23rd Apr 2017 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
Is 4th EP coming in this third year? If they don't release 2 EPs this year, then I'm sure they just abandoned the game. Or are the pets just too big of a hassle with them? Can they handle such thing as introducing new type of sim into the game?

Only time will tell.

All the signs point to pets as being the next EP. My guess is late October, with a nice discount the next month for holiday sales.

History would suggest that this version of the Sims will last for at least 4 years, so I would expect at least one more EP, perhaps two, before they either move on to Sims 5 or just scrap the whole thing. I hope they will continue but it seems iffy at this point. The success of the early games can never be repeated in this era. PC gaming is declining, the female and all ages demo is now catered to by many developers across many platforms, costs have risen, market shares have fallen...blah, blah, fishcakes. Hopefully, EA can find a sweet spot between the Sims 3 impossibly ambitious open world/customization frenzy that felled even the most robust computers, and the much more accessible but terribly mundane Sims 4.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#157 Old 10th May 2017 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W.
I don't see it as being confrontational at all. You posted a thread about if the next EP would be the last...others discussed the thread topic. I gave people reasons as to why I didn't think it would be. It wasn't my fault that other people called me shill and insulted me. Concurrent players is a good way to kind of peek at how good a game is doing...and I can tell you many games would love to have the numbers Sims 4 has. Are they the best? No. Games like DOTA 2, LOL, OW probably blow them out of the water. At the same time they are not terrible.

You've double posted more than once, going on and on about the game. I mean, it should be enough that you like the game even though it seems like no one here was really slamming the game until you came along. Part of me wonders if you being insulted isn't at least partially your fault. To be honest, you basically came in here and demanded that everyone like a game and then accused everyone of being mean when they didn't agree. It could actually be the best selling game ever but you're still not going to convince someone who doesn't like it to like it based on the fact that other people bought it. That, along with how much you care about it and your long rambling TL;DR posts about something irrelevant, makes you a target for insults.

On another note, remember that post I made a couple of months ago about how they were gonna make the main Sims games into a phone game? Well, they just announced "Sims Mobile". I hate to tell you all that I was right but it literally happened like two months after I said it. Not to overplay it but I think I might actually be a prophet. Is anyone interested in joining my cult?
Forum Resident
#158 Old 10th May 2017 at 1:59 PM
I just want Pets, Seasons and University before they decide to quit.
Theorist
#159 Old 10th May 2017 at 2:32 PM
Well, with the announcement of The Sims Mobile, we now know why TS4 is a shallow and empty Sims game that took so many steps back - it was made that way so that they could port it onto mobile.

EA is obsessed with playing the same game on multiple platforms. If you don't care about multiple platforms, particularly mobile game platforms, then you are not the customer they're searching for.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Forum Resident
#160 Old 10th May 2017 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tangie0906
Well, with the announcement of The Sims Mobile, we now know why TS4 is a shallow and empty Sims game that took so many steps back - it was made that way so that they could port it onto mobile.

EA is obsessed with playing the same game on multiple platforms. If you don't care about multiple platforms, particularly mobile game platforms, then you are not the customer they're searching for.

I wouldn't say The Sims Mobile is much of a port from TS4 since it's still much more limiting in terms of gameplay. It just has similar graphical design.
Theorist
#161 Old 10th May 2017 at 11:07 PM
It has the same animations, the same content, the same graphical style. It looks to be ripped straight from the PC game.

I would also argue that TS4 has tons of restrictive game play compared to past editions of the Sims. Coincidence?

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Field Researcher
#162 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sasunaru123
You've double posted more than once, going on and on about the game. I mean, it should be enough that you like the game even though it seems like no one here was really slamming the game until you came along. Part of me wonders if you being insulted isn't at least partially your fault. To be honest, you basically came in here and demanded that everyone like a game and then accused everyone of being mean when they didn't agree. It could actually be the best selling game ever but you're still not going to convince someone who doesn't like it to like it based on the fact that other people bought it. That, along with how much you care about it and your long rambling TL;DR posts about something irrelevant, makes you a target for insults.

On another note, remember that post I made a couple of months ago about how they were gonna make the main Sims games into a phone game? Well, they just announced "Sims Mobile". I hate to tell you all that I was right but it literally happened like two months after I said it. Not to overplay it but I think I might actually be a prophet. Is anyone interested in joining my cult?

I predicted that too but is not that one will be main and the other will be second. It will be like integrated. In the future I bet if we have sims 5 will be PC sync with the phone. But the phone you will have to pay to progress w microtransactions when you can't play at home on PC. But differently from now, will be synced so the "advancements" from phone will be integrated into your PC.

I think even the using similar assets etc in the mobile is a prototype study for a The Sims 5 integrated mobile and PC.

Makes sense and is the future of gaming imo. If they get the formula right now and they seemed to have found out easily how to port meshes, textures, assets to mobile is inevitable that the next sims game will be like this.
Field Researcher
#163 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
All the signs point to pets as being the next EP. My guess is late October, with a nice discount the next month for holiday sales.

History would suggest that this version of the Sims will last for at least 4 years, so I would expect at least one more EP, perhaps two, before they either move on to Sims 5 or just scrap the whole thing. I hope they will continue but it seems iffy at this point. The success of the early games can never be repeated in this era. PC gaming is declining, the female and all ages demo is now catered to by many developers across many platforms, costs have risen, market shares have fallen...blah, blah, fishcakes. Hopefully, EA can find a sweet spot between the Sims 3 impossibly ambitious open world/customization frenzy that felled even the most robust computers, and the much more accessible but terribly mundane Sims 4.

I think there will be a PC game for sims 5 but will be totally synced with the phone app. But the phone you will have to pay to progress with microtransactions when you can't play at home on PC.

But differently from now w Sims 4 and the sims mobile, it will be synced so the "advancements" from phone will be integrated into your PC when you log in with your Origin account on PC again (like we have updates now, it will ask if you want to update your save, etc or something like that).

I think even the using similar assets etc in the mobile is a prototype study for a The Sims 5 integrated mobile and PC.

Makes sense and is the future of gaming imo. If they get the formula right now and they seemed to have found out easily how to port meshes, textures, assets to mobile is inevitable that the next sims game will be like this.
Field Researcher
#164 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
No but I used that as a example because even FF XIII was poorly received and dropped out in sales rather quickly, FF XV wasnt as badly received but performed even poorly that FF XIII.

I could say FF XV is continuing a trend from FF XII that moved into more "action" and FF XII system itself was somewhat similar to FF X-2 in relation to a faster combat system but thats not really the point, that was sales ... one can argue about the quality and FF XV seems to be a very flawed game as Nomura screwed around for years until they had to replace him with Tabata that had to rush it in about 2 years but in the end there are sales figures, none of the "next gen" FF since FF XII (another one with problematic development) really reached the sales of the previous generation titles, granted its hard to beat PS2 sale figures but they are getting worst and worst.

The point was today games are not selling as well as back in the 2000's despite being "easier" to buy.

Maybe because games nowadays are mostly either 1) all about graphics, not depth enough or boring storylines/repetitive gameplay, like FFXV and others, 2) rehash of things from the past 3) simply don't have heart soul and fun.

Is a huge division: super huge publishers like EA, etc and indie developers. EA and similar devs put lots of the budget on graphics, since is expecte from them, the indies have not enough resources to fund their ideas into deep long games (except kickstarter).

So we end up with not much variety (with quality) imo.

All RPGs series from japan the big ones are those from long ago. FFantasy, Xenobland, Dragon Quest, Zelda, etc..

Western is getting creative but is kinda boring and too serious imo the ideas/games, too realistic, like Halo, Battlefield, Uncharted, etc

I think FFXV sunked because it tried too much to be a western game with the bros, realistic graphics, boring outfits, characters that are empty/shallow, action focused.

We want fantasy. Where is Cloud, Sephirot, Shenmue, Saga Frontier, Phantasy Star, wizards, elves, orcs, flying pirate ships, etc?

Even Jet Set Radio was a modern but crazy creative game and you were on roller blades tagging the town, but the setting and gameplay was fantastic.

Recent few games that kinda make me feel they were trying to do something different and make me feel excited to play: Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Witcher (even though I don't like the game too much, the vibe, etc, but I have to give kudos when is needed), LA Noir.

With the Japanese market, I have been mostly disappointed, specially with the sequels of famous franchises like FF, Star Ocean, Romancing Saga, etc. I still enjoy harvest moon (now story of seasons) and fantasy life was cute, ace attorney too (now going down the drain with money grubbing no sense sequels).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#165 Old 11th May 2017 at 1:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AlineFrrr
I think there will be a PC game for sims 5 but will be totally synced with the phone app. But the phone you will have to pay to progress with microtransactions when you can't play at home on PC.

But differently from now w Sims 4 and the sims mobile, it will be synced so the "advancements" from phone will be integrated into your PC when you log in with your Origin account on PC again (like we have updates now, it will ask if you want to update your save, etc or something like that).

Ugh, that's so much worse. That's all of the horrible practices of modern mobile gaming (Free-to-play, transactions to buy multiple types of in-game currency, oversimplified, etc) along with that special shittiness that seems to be a specific to mobile sims games (Real-time, which means having to ACTUAL MONEY to speed up animations... You're literally paying to not play the game).

Anyway, I don't believe that for a few reasons. Trying to link a save game would mean that the mechanics of the game would have to work the same on the computer as on you mobile device is this was a true port of the game like it seems like you're describing. So what? Well, That you'd be constantly waiting for your phone and computer to sync up information. Oh, that would also mean that you'd have greatly diminished room for playing because that savegames would have to be realistically capable of syncing between devices. They would be changing from TS2's neighborhood saves and TS3's multiple save games to a single save that constantly autosaves for you, probably. Oh and the customization! You'd have to give up custom content because that would bloat your entire savefile. On top of that, you'd require a constant internet connection. Since EA is trying to sell to a demographic that's less likely to have great internet access they'd also have to factor that in and try to estimate the file sizes required accordingly.

Honestly, the syncing to mobile is what would really kill your gaming experience because while Sims games are capable of being synced (The Sims Online for example) the requirements for mobile gaming would require the team to tear major components from the game due to the work it would take to make this work logistically. Hypothetically, you could turn off this feature. However, that'd still mean that you'd be stuck to the requirements of a phone since the game won't magically have better graphics when you turn the feature off because the game would still have to be optimized for a phone. That would mean that the game, when played on a computer, would look sort of silly and unrealistic. That would also mean that the final product would be missing major features from other games. Plus, then if any of this went wrong and the changed their minds during development, they wouldn't have time to remake the entire game. The game would already be made by the time they figured out their mistake and it would still be missing major features and look like a phone game, they'd only have to quickly retool the game into something meant to be played by a single player on a computer and... Oh oops, silly me, I just described The Sims 4.

This is why TS3 (And 2) are so much better tbh.
Lab Assistant
#166 Old 12th May 2017 at 6:15 PM
Y'all need to start spamming Paradox with e-mails asking them to make a life simulator. That's the only way you're getting a Sims game that isn't... whatever The Sims 4 is.
Top Secret Researcher
#167 Old 12th May 2017 at 9:15 PM
There's a long thread begging for a life simulator over at the Paradox forums, believe me. (It's in "Paradox General Discussion.")
Test Subject
#168 Old 13th May 2017 at 3:32 PM
I mean...

I'm not the biggest fan of Sims 4. It's buggy and not great, even by my easy-to-please standards. We haven't even got to my favorite type of expansions yet -- seasons, pets, university -- and we are almost 3 years in.

I waited years for TS4 to develop enough content to make it somewhat playable, so that I could actually have a little fun with it. The thought of re-booting for T$5, when we all know it's questionable-quality content will be endlessly stretched out for years and years, with the most desirable content left to the end... It kind of makes me want to die inside.

The only hope I see for The Sims franchise is for it to get developed by someone OTHER than EA.
Page 7 of 7