Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 1:40 AM
Default download vs create
which do you do more of (for this game)?

me; I think create.
based on custom content already in game, have more computer memory in stuff I created than in stuff I downloaded.
custom content yet to be put in; have not checked.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 2:08 AM
Well seeing I have altogether probably over 70 thousand downloaded files (not all in my game) downloads. The only things I have made are recolours to a child's swimsuit, a handful of walls and lot. I only upload lots.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 2:17 AM
I know I have a rather scary (read: EXTREMELY) amount of custom content, but I also tend to create my own lots rather than downloading. I have made a custom career before. Hmm... I guess I could say about 75 of downloading and 25 percent of creating?

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Alchemist
#4 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 2:34 AM
I have nearly 50,000 downloads. I could play this game another ten years and I wouldn't come close to creating or converting that many things.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:01 AM
I create

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:07 AM
I use neighborhoods that I downloaded (just the community lots and houses, not sims), and any other CC I download too. I create all of my sims and I do a fair amount of house building for things like my custom university. I plan on making a custom downtown too. My favorite thing to create are parks or outdoor spaces!
Scholar
#7 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:12 AM
I have never created.

I'm up to 17,000 on my regular game and 7,000 on my medieval.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 4:02 AM
one person wanted a customized SC4 terrain which I provided (I should have gone through the create section on how to correctly upload items, yet I did not) it is hidden in the thread not as an official upload. other than that I haven't created anything partially due to the Super Duper Hug Bug and possible corruption of the folder.

Some lots have never had sims in them and I would want to upload them except for the SDHB lurking in the same game files.

so 1 upload the rest downloading. I do want to create stuff to share though.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 4:06 AM
I download All The Things, and have never even attempted to create anything. I'm a freeloading slacker in the Sim world.

Ooo, ohh, I just realised, I create my own lots, does that count? I've made cemeteries, dorms, nightclubs, wedding chapels, and one time I made a, uh, gentlemens' club. I've never shared them or uploaded anywhere because I usually make them to suit my own playstyle, and compared to the stuff everyone else does, they're kinda shit.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 5:05 AM Last edited by deadhead_kay : 9th Jun 2016 at 5:07 PM.
I've never created anything, unless you include modifying my sims lifespans lol. I've attempted too many times, and always say I want to do something simple like recolor an object, but I just never sit down and learn. I make lots, but i don't consider that creating since it's an actual feature of the game. So downloads all the way.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 9:17 AM
I have several GBs worth of stuff I've made, but I have a LOT more I've downloaded.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 10:10 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 9th Jun 2016 at 10:23 AM.
Download if somebody's done it already (and I can find it!). If nobody's done it, and I can't persuade someone more expert to do it for me, then think about creating.

I've got a bit of self-made clothing that's good enough for me and my low-resolution graphics, but really isn't up to MTS standards. I might share some of it on my LJ one day. I usually make my own lots (or, more often, modify Maxis ones). I started both downloading and doing simple clothing recolours and alpha edits a few days before I first started the game, so my first Sim (my friend Andrew) wore downloaded swimming trunks and home-made underpants (a simple recolour and alpha edit of the swimming trunks) right from the start.

[EDIT] Like other people here, I've got far, far more downloaded CC than home-made. There's so much CC available and much of it is made to a very high standard.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:00 PM
I do create a fair amount, but I had been downloading for years when I started creating, so I have far more downloaded than created. Nowadays I probably add equal amounts of new CC from others to stuff I created myself, but it would take a long time to catch up with all the stuff downloaded pre-creating.

Though, these days, I am more likely to mod things myself if I want something I don't already have, rather than go see if anyone else already did it. I enjoy modding, so it's more fun to do it myself, and making things I want forces me to expand and learn new aspects of modding.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:07 PM
Creating - a bit, here and there, lots uploaded are normally made for my own game.
Downloading - a bit, I am over download sprees and try to keep the cc low. I like recolors, though.
Playing - a LOT - since I am a player rather than a downloader or a creator.
#16 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 3:57 PM
Creating: All CC hair is retextured in my own texture so probably a gb of that and growing as I find more LOL. I've done color overlays for furniture, but I can never stick to just a few colors ( i have a text document with over 300 color codes and those do not include the main go to like Aelia or pooklet schemes) so most of that is scrapped before it ever sees the light of game time.

Other than a few apartment lots all lot building is done by me whether from scratch or a restructure of an existing community lot to suit the need.

For everything else it's downloads all the way.
Alchemist
#17 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 5:03 PM
I used to create CC in Bodyshop when I was around 10. It used to look like this kind off:

Unfortunately I don't think my skill has increased much since then
Test Subject
#18 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 5:54 PM
Both.

There are so many proffessional modders.
Same time you can become one.
My skills are so badly, I only know how to make recolour of object, hair e.t.c..
Instructor
#19 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 7:53 PM
Well.. I have most of CC on my PC. But i don't mind doing my own recolor of objects or walls and floors. Meshing would be fun but damn I have so little time and a lot of other interrest. Haha!

But I always creates my own simmies, neighbourhood, lots and what so ever. Nothing you guy can download (yet)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Jun 2016 at 10:22 PM
I've created clothes, wallpaper, flooring, mods and I've dabbled in objects when SimPE use to work for me.
Although, in my current game, the only things I've made that are in my game are a collection of wallpapers (I needed 'Dandelion Clocks' Sanderson wallpaper to see ) aaaaand I think like 2 t-shirts? which are really just small recolours.

I just plain download anything that I need, unless I can easily make it and I can't find it anywhere else on the internet. If I can't make it and it's not been made by anyone else, then I just don't have it in my game but will google it periodically just to check if anyone else has made it- like the constant searches I do to find an iMac G3 for Sims 2. I've gone to the extent of trying to learn to make objects (and failing - seriously I think my SimPE is messed up, they say "click ____" and I can't find it at all) just to get this one stupid computer in my game.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Meet Me In My Next Life
#21 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 1:05 AM Last edited by Simonut : 10th Jun 2016 at 1:18 AM.
I stop downloading other creator lots years ago I love building my own and have done so for my own custom hood ( including Community lot, )
One of the main reason why I stop downloading lots is because once I have them in my game, I don't like the setup. Also the "big reasons" is one time I downloaded a lot and it had a Sims in it.
I do most certainly download CC and objects that I need to make my game more interest and mods for game play adds different elements to my game.

Some things I think I do well with creating:
1. Building lots ( decorating within and out )
2. Creating Sims

What I can't do or never really try to learn:
3.Recoloring
4. Mods ( that a real big no, no )

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
#22 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 4:05 AM
Though I create lots of things for my own game, I don't share very many of them, and the amount definitely does not top the 40,000+ files that I currently have in my game. So, I download more than create.

I tend to download very specific things from select creators - custom careers, food, game object recolors and add-ons, Maxis style clothing and the occasional game enhancing mod. I'm pretty picky about what floats around in my DL folder, so I don't go wild and crazy with downloading.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Undead Molten Llama
#23 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 10:23 AM
I create more than I download, lately. I'll download the occasional eye set (because I'm obsessed with eyes and don't make Bodyshop stuff, myself) or piece of clothing if I really, really like it and it has all the morphs (morphs for both genders are very important to me), but generally I have enough clothing and don't really care what my Sims wear so long as it doesn't give me a migraine to look at them, so...Meh. I'm currently collecting newer hair retextures to replace some really old and "crunchy" and/or too-plastic-y ones that I have as well as getting rid of some super-high-poly ones, but that's basically a switch-out. I'll still download slaved "completer" pieces/sets for Maxis build/buy objects, but most of those that I'd be interested in having have already been made and are already tucked away in my downloads, so...

Recolors/retextures and walls/floors I always make myself because there's a specific "look" and a specific range of colors that I like, and it's easier to make what I want than to find what I want. I also do little "tweaky" baby mods for my own game, like to screw around with autonomy/advertising for objects (Maxis and otherwise) or to recategorize and reprice Maxis stuff so that things make sense to me. Basically, it's all stuff that's too specifically personal to share, but I do share the occasional baby mod, if it's not something that's too me-specific. I'm just at the start of the learning curve with that stuff, though. And I'm more likely to write up "for dummies" tutorials when I figure things out so that people can tweak their own game to their own likings, rather than share what I do to mine.

I originally bought the game just to build stuff in it, so I've always built most of my own lots and enjoy doing so, often more than I enjoy actually playing. Except for community lots, because for whatever reason I hate building those with a fiery passion...but I have a bunch in my lot catalog that I've either (grudgingly) built or that I've downloaded over the years and have then refurnished/decorated to my own tastes, and I just reuse those. I don't even make Sims for my own game. They're either born in game, or the game/CAS makes them. In the latter case, I just use the ones randomly generated and just pop some face kit stuff and non-clashing clothing on them. So, I'm certainly not a Sim creator, mostly because I also hate BodyShop with a passion that burns like ten suns.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#24 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 2:58 PM
When there's a mod I'd like to create but it doesn't include messing with BHAVs, I'll probably make it myself, either by following people's tutorials or downloading someone's work and using it as a template (example of the latter: a new loading sound when starting the game up). I'm trying my best to be able to comprehend the magic behind BHAVing, with all the expressions and Temps being tossed around and whatnot.

When it comes to Sims and houses, I nearly never download other people's work. Very rarely I'd download a cool looking lot, whilst I'd never even bother downloading a Sim. I've also tried downloading some neighborhoods with good background stories, but I never seemed to really dig into one. But I am happy with neighborhoods I create for myself. There's a few of those. Also, I find myself often building more than playing.

I do often find myself using SimPE more than the game, especially when it comes to (initial phases of) inhabited neighborhoods.

Let's see, what did I forget... oh, Bodyshop! There is Absolutely No Way of me creating a new piece of clothing, hair, eyes or skin myself. The most I can do is remove an annoying part of the texture, but that's it - simple photoshopping with at most 2 layers of work. No meshing, no retexturing, no anything of that sort - that's scary! But I do appreciate all the people who create or convert clothes for the Sims.

I only download objects in huge bundles, as in, if they fit a new theme I'd like for a certain neighborhood. It's never a tiki fridge, a medieval bed, it's always TIKI EVERYTHING, or MEDIEVAL ALL THE THINGS. Or default maxis. But no limbo.

In ratio, I'd say
download:create = 3:2
Forum Resident
#25 Old 10th Jun 2016 at 4:43 PM
The modding I have done is just little stuff like tweaking InTeen, updating bookcases and refrigerators for AL, and making/editing custom careers. The only mod I really want that doesn't already exist (as far as I know) is one to keep sims warm in tents, but I wouldn't even know where to start. I download tons of custom content, but no lots. I build them myself if I want some interesting architecture (like an aquarium pool). Otherwise, I take the maxis lots and remodel so thoroughly that, sometimes, they are hardly recognizable when I'm done. Like this one: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Lots_and...t_-_1BR_1BA.png

Remodeled/Expanded

I spend probably 70% of the time playing and 30% downloading/organizing CC and building/decorating houses.
Page 1 of 2