Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 9:51 AM
Hair mesh looks messed up in-game but not in 3DSMax/Milkshape/Workshop, help wanted!
Hello everyone,

I hope someone could help me with this problem because it's getting frustrating now. I usually upload my stuff on The Sims Resource and I consequently use their Workshop, but since their forums are very slow and inactive I thought I'd give MTS a try. The problem may not be the Workshop itself, maybe I'm doing something wrong with the meshes.
For your information: I use 3DS Max 2014, Milkshape 3D (latest version), Meshing ToolKit for auto bone-assignments and finally TSR Workshop to wrap this whole thing up.

However, the hair meshes look just fine in Milkshape, 3DS Max and in the Workshop, but when I test it in-game and in CAS, it looks way different and just ugly. I checked my UV-Maps, texture files, and all sorts of things that could be the problem but I can't seem to fix it. When I add another layer to the mesh it seems to look better, but I can't do that on all meshes because it will end up very high poly, causing to slow down the game. So I was wondering why my initial layer of hair is bugging while it shouldn't.

Help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ellemieke

Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 10:51 AM
Looks like a texture issue to me(as far as i can see on pictures)
Did you gave the diffuse a correct alphalayer?
Are the textures in the correct format?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 11:02 AM
My diffuse textures have no alpha layer at all. I released two hairstyles succesfully without any of these issues and neither of them have an alpha layer as well. I custom made the UV-map and consequently drew the texture on it. From the diffuse map I derived the specular map. What's the deal with the alpha layer then? I'm not quite the expert when it comes to hair meshing yet so..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 11:07 AM
The only change I made with my previous hairstyles is that I use .DDS files now instead of .TIF or .PNG in Workshop. Could that explain the issue?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 1:35 PM
I've updated my .DDS file and added a correct alpha map to it (I know how this works because I did this with creating clothes as well, but I wasn't aware this also had to be done with hair). I even cloned a new mesh and inserted all the correct meshes, data and textures, but the problem still appears. I think I can safely conclude this is not a texture issue, but that concerns me actually.

This somehow has to do with the mesh but I can't figure out what. Any ideas on this?
Could it possibly have to do with faulty bone-assignments? (I use the auto-bone assignment for WSO tool on the Meshing Tool Kit)
Could this have to do with transparency or normals?

I am quite new at all this so I'm not very good at troubleshooting issues

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 8:49 AM
No one who's had this problem before?
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 1:07 AM
I had this very same issue, and it was none of my textures,by the way, your bump map looks fine. something got mixed up in 3ds max and i had to start over again. I could not resolve my issue.

You could also try smoothing and Re-UV mapping it.

if your using 3ds max use the smooth modifier.

the :jest: made a :deal: with the :sheep: devil..
:llama: was :rofl: but then :report: said :wtf: a :Pint: :turtle: said: :jest: why did you do that for a :Pint: :jest: said :turtle: t'isnt just any :Pint: :!: this :Pint: is filled with GOLD :!: