Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 10:11 PM
Default Do you ever have dilemmas in your game?
Today I played Malcolm IV Landgraab and he had a daughter instead of a son D:
I used the opportunity to add some spice to my game and made them both enemies.

Now they mutually rolled the want: "See Malcolm IV/Charlotte's ghost"

I thought okay I'd fake a "pool ladder accident" and drown the girl.
But hooooooooooooooooly craaaaaaaaap.
This girl is going to grow up GORGEOUS!

It would be such a waste to kill her.

Well now I'm not sure what to do. She makes a plot with her mum Jennifer Malcolm, née Peterson, to kill him?

Dilemma.
Do you ever have dilemmas in your games?
How do you decide on their outcome?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 10:45 PM
I usually do the exact opposite of what I personally would want to happen in that situation. I may not want a certain thing to happen to a Sim, but sometimes by doing what I don't want to happen, situations arise that I usually would never seem to get involved in if I just chose the option I wanted.

It makes for a much more interesting game, IMO.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 11:11 PM
I often let the sims themselves lead me and whatever vibe i get of them i follow that. Like in your situation if Charlotte had previously been a paticualar nasty character and was evil i'd let her kill him. Or if Malcolm had done something terrible to her i'd let her do it as a desperate act of revenge.

On some rare occasions i may already have a certain plot set out for the characters and ill follow that, regardless of what my sims are telling me :p

-and in that moment, i was infinate.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 11:13 PM
Its starting to get to the point of whether or not to let them stargaze because of how many alien abductions there have been.
Scholar
#5 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 11:22 PM
Here's a relatively recent dilemma from my game: the Tinker-Ramirez affair, and how I dealt with it.

When Wanda Tinker and Checo Ramirez decided to flirt with each other, and Wanda just happened to roll the want for another baby....

Let's just say that Dolly Tinker and Dimas Ramirez look suspiciously similar. Stephen's just decided to turn a willfully blind eye towards his daughter's paternity, while Lisa has flung Checo out on his ear. Hearing about his affair with Wanda was one thing, but actually seeing it was another. (She was still rolling wants regarding him and didn't act on her anger, so I was thisclose to having them work it out... but then he slapped her. BYE, CHECO.)

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Aug 2012 at 11:49 PM
I've never been abducted by aliens before...not once, I have been playing the sims for 5 years at least. I have also never been transformed by a werewolf, or seen big foot, or been a zombie or been a plantsim. I've seen a vampire once though =]
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 12:22 AM
Mrs. Malcolm should give him a couple of sons, both of them conceived with the gardener.
I don't get stuck with dilemmas, probably I don't plan too much in advance.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 12:53 AM Last edited by Fivey : 6th Aug 2012 at 3:55 AM.
Oh, all the time!

If I described every single bit of drama that has ever happened in my games, though, it would take up a good hunk of the page.

Just as a recent example, in the Smith household, Jenny gave birth to a townie's daughter, and Jill had to get an abortion from woohooing a young adult - who incidentally, is in the same greek house as her older brother Johnny.

When I do decide to roll a die, I have an application on my phone. I would have some real dice, but I don't typically have a need for them. Maybe if I was some sort of DnD player I would, but then again, I lose things easily.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 2:57 AM
My rule for dilemmas like that is flip a coin/roll a dice to decide. Otherwise, I know all of my game play would be exactly the same.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 3:24 AM
I often get dilemmas, but my playstyle is such that I seldom have to make a snap decision. Doing one-day rotations, and playing each day almost entirely at normal speed, I have plenty of time to reflect and observe behavior, so that by the time the decision needs to be made, the story or character logic leads me to a place where I "know" what to do.

When I do have to make a snap decision, it's generally on behalf of some character, and I just have to get into that character's head at that moment to know what his snap decision would be. (It may not be the same as the one he has time to think about.) Or sometimes I act on reflex. And if all else fails - I have a box of polyhedral dice on my desk.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#11 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 4:15 AM
I have one right now. When Brendan Broke was a teen, he got Melody Tinker pregnant and now they're in college with their toddler Patrick. Melody and Brendan's relationship is okay, but they're not very into each other, even with ACR. Melody has a very strong connection with Brendan's brother Beau. The Broke family gets together often and Beau and Melody usually spend the whole time chatting and hanging out with each other in private. That's not something I make happen; they're drawn to each other and have rolled wants to flirt. If Beau and Brendan weren't brothers and Patrick didn't exist, I would have put the two of them together a long time ago. Beau is a romance sim so it might not last anyway.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 4:45 AM
My current dilemma is wondering if there's going to be a boy baby born in this hood! (So far all girls.)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
My current dilemma is wondering if there's going to be a boy baby born in this hood! (So far all girls.)

Marry them to townies, and if you want them to take the surname of a townie, make the townie selectable and let them propose to your playable, he will be added to the family and vice versa.
Inventor
#14 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by labellavienna
I've never been abducted by aliens before...not once, I have been playing the sims for 5 years at least. I have also never been transformed by a werewolf, or seen big foot, or been a zombie or been a plantsim. I've seen a vampire once though =]

If you ever get bored, I suggest you dabble with the supernatural's. I had never played any of them, either, and was so bored one day, I made my founding sim a werewolf. 16 generations later and I would happily burn off my eyebrows for my Harris family.
Scholar
#15 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 10:22 AM Last edited by Simsica : 6th Aug 2012 at 3:28 PM.
I have two current hoods. Well, in one of them almost all my Sims are romance or pleasure, either by their 1st or 2nd aspiration. What do you think they want to do all the time?! It's gotten to a point where I was completely stuck with them because to satisfy the romance population I'd have had to ruin the lives of my other Sims, which are quite lovable and nice and stuff. The dillema was: should I play this out or should I kill them all off and use some "STD plague" story line as explanation? Never before had I the need to kill off so many Sims...

I chose to abandon the hood, for the time being, and switch to the other one where the majority of population is pleasure+grilled cheese. Here, the only dillema is: grilled cheese for breakfast or not? Which, for those Sims, isn't even a question. It's grilled cheese vacation for me! Vacation from murderous thoughts...

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#16 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 11:03 AM
One of my twin spares from my current Legacy. I play all the spares, and I loved the second spare, Amythest (yes I know misspelled ah well) I almost wanted to make her heir, but I realized she wouldn't be as much fun if she was. But, Gosh, Amber drives me up the wall. I'm almost tempted to kill her off, which I have never done. She has always bothered me even as a kid and I don't know why. I made her pleasure because of her attention seeking. I probably should have done popular, but Pleasure fit her better. The rest of the spares, I love, even my mean Azure (male). But she is just boring and irritating, and I can't quite put my finger on it. I thought about having her mother adopt Amber's son. Amber's not a very good erm mom to be honest. The kid kept passing out, and usually the parents would stand over them in worry, but Amber ignores him for other things and keeps getting angry at him for making messes. She'll pat his head when he asks for attention and then walk away. So, yeah, she's tedious. I sped her days up. Maybe Brody will be worth playing the household until I figure out what to do with her.

She makes for good storylines I admit, but deciding if I should killer her or not is something difficult for me.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 11:34 AM
I have one going on in my custom-made hood:

Bradley Becker loves his wife Heidi with a 3 bolt passion-he cannot keep his hands off her in public. However, he has also discovered that he has a 3-bolt passion for a lovely neighbor, Irene Carpenter, who is passionately in love with him. So much of one that he's moved out of his house and happy, brand-new family to indulge his itch for Irene, who asked him to abandon them. He did so in a blink of the eye.

Will he stay with Irene? Will he return to Heidi once the affair becomes dull, if ever? Will he marry Irene in a polygamous marriage? How much child support will he eventually have to pay? Will Heidi be forced to kill him and Irene, should she find out about his love affair? Will he flee town to become a monk?

Ah, drama. This one should be interesting, because I've never had a sim with this kind of dilemma. Most have very dull love lives.
#18 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 11:45 AM
Making basement. Urgghh.
Instructor
#19 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 9:02 PM
Yep, I have one.
On the surface the Larson family is perrrrfect. BUT Stirling Larson is having an affair. AND Kayla Larson (his wife) is pregnant. Now, my dilemma: Should Stirling leave his wife and unborn child for his exciting and mysterious mistress (okay! she's the maid); should he stop seeing her, re-kindle his failing marriage with Kayla and raise his child with her; OR should he plan an elaborate murder of a) his wife or b) his lover?
Forum Resident
#20 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 9:20 PM
For me those things are not dillemmas but exciting choices. Make a choice and then see how it pans out.
I don't have spur at the moment choices because I do rotations. Mostly I can think about it for some time. Whatever happens I am the type of person that can make decisions easily and be happy about it, content or stoic.
Because I do not play this neighbourhood that long, almost a month, I didn't come across very major things yet. At least in my opinion.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 9:40 PM
I have an actual dilemma, in the classic sense of two choices with equal good/bad outcomes making choice difficult, ongoing. Do I let Sadie Point have a late-life baby, or not?

She and her husband Clovis are a little over a week from elder. They're both Romance, with LTWs to Become Hall of Famer, and both at Coach level, so they're safe from my requirement to retire from active sports participation on turning elder and, barring major disaster, are guaranteed to make their LTWs and go permaplat. Sadie, being born to my superfertile Hawkins clan, has a Family secondary, which stood her in good stead when I made her Try for Baby with him while they were both swinging singles, and then Clovis got alien pregnant in a coincidence I shall always treasure. She has recently started rolling "have baby" wants for the first time in her life. Lance, her son with Clovis, just aged to teen; Andice, his alien child, ages to teen next rotation.

Clovis has no family, and neither child inherited his blade-thin, hooked, high-placed nose, a feature I worked hard on. Also, as an archeology geek, I have no shortage of punning Point names. So I'd like another baby in this family.

On the other hand: It's in the story that after Andice was born Clovis got his tubes tied. Therefore, I can't just go the accidental pregnancy route again, or have her leave off birth control. She'd have to sell him on the idea and I have to make his agreeing to undergo the reversal procedure, and then tie them up again, work with the story logic. And a late-life baby will distract me both from getting Clovis and Sadie to the Hall of Fame and from all the delightful teen drama on which Lance and Andice are about to embark. Also, my hood is in danger of getting bigger than I can handle, due to my preference for big families. Line up all these reasons not to do it, and they look like they outweigh my desire for the nose and another shot at having a Folsom Point in the game. After all, Lance and Andice may carry the nose genes and can carry the name.

Certainly the reasons not to outnumber the reasons to. But as for how much they weigh - well, I really am pleased with that nose...

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#22 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Do I let Sadie Point have a late-life baby, or not?

Honestly, I would let her have a baby. I feel like you could fix all the bad issues with having another baby. I mean, that nose sounds cool, and if you can I'd like a pic Sadie should convince her husband to have one more child. It really can't distract them from their career. They have a teen, who could help out or not, just be home so the parents can go to work. Also, sometimes if my Sims are preggers and have a LTW for a career, I make them go to work and save the vacation days for another time. Since the other children are much older, they don't have to worry too much about them. And hiring a nanny couldn't hurt if needed.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 10:13 PM
Alright, Lilac Garden has a crush on two boys, Bill and Hank Fleurada. However, the two are both brothers. Lilac two bolts with Hank due to compatible aspiration and turn ons, but she one bolts with Bill because of personality. If one catches the other cheating for any reason, their relationship will falter, and Hank already hates his other brother, Dale.

Who do I pair Lilac up with?
Scholar
#24 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Certainly the reasons not to outnumber the reasons to. But as for how much they weigh - well, I really am pleased with that nose...

Well, a nose is no insignificant matter.

And an aging romance Sim wanting a baby - that's so touching. I'd give it to her. I mean, if I were you, I'd give myself that nose.

But, first: is there any ralistic chance that Sadie could talk Clovis into it? If there is, and you have a system that lets you roll a die - which I believe you do, right? - why not give her the chance? It would still remain within the rule-bound gameplay, and your quest for the nose wouldn't be the (only) deciding factor.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Scholar
#25 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 11:07 PM
Peni: Put me in as another vote in the "baby" camp. That nose needs to reoccur.

I had a similar dilemma with Jenny Smith. After her brother Pascal and his wife Bella had their "oops" baby Algol, Jenny started rolling the want "have a baby" with fervor (I think she was jealous). I ended up caving and little Jack Smith was born.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Page 1 of 16