Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2013 at 10:38 PM
Default Medieval Mayor, Banished and other city-building games
What city-building games are you looking forward to? Or which ones that have come out within the last year do you like? How wide a scope do you like the game to cover? Just city/country management or do you like to get into war and politics and advanced trade agreements?

I heard about Medieval Mayor a while ago, but I've found so little actual information about, I don't have a real opinion on it. More recently, I heard of Banished. Castaways and starting civilizations from the ground up is a fun idea and the little I've read makes this one seem like a good bet for me. Cost matters, of course.

For me, personally, I don't like war in my games. It's just not my thing. And all the good-graphics historical societies type city-builder games seem to be big on war. I understand why - war is a huge part of history and how empires are formed. It's just not what I want to play.

So, is there any city-builder you are looking forward to or one already out you think I should look into?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 2:49 PM
Every play LucasArt's Afterlife?

It was certainly a very memorable city-sim.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2013 at 5:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Synthesis
Every play LucasArt's Afterlife?

It was certainly a very memorable city-sim.

No, I haven't. I looked it up and as I read about it, it seemed familiar. I guess I've heard someone else talk about it. I don't know about game-play, but the premise is certainly memorable.
Test Subject
#4 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 3:26 AM
[
BANISHED IS VERY ADDICTIVE I really love it no war or nastiness, just the natural elements :D
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 1:32 PM
If you're interested in Banished, it's £5.99 in the Steam sales until December 2nd. Definitely worth it, imo.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 8:31 PM
Banished is a really fun game. I love it! I am not sure if you know this but Medieval Mayor is in "Development Hell" and might not ever be released.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 1:05 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the city-building games, ever since I was a kid and played SimCity 4. Also digging the themes a lot of them, especially those post-apocalyptic ones. Anno 2070 is good, though I suppose it's more resource-management focused. Fun game challenge: Remake The Hunger Games' Panem with all the districts and the Capitol on separate islands, each focused on some sort of resource.

Edit: If you have rival factions and you don't get along, war can occur in Anno 2070.

There's a new SimCity-esque city builder coming out, can't remember the name but there's a thread on this board somewhere for it. I wonder if it'll do a Saints Row 2, where the series becomes popular due to fan dissatisfaction with the rival game. GTAIV's change of style from San Andreas had some fan criticism, Saints Row 2's designers jumped on this and offered the missing content, which helped to make the games more popular. GTAIV still has a large amount of fans though, whilst SimCity 5 has numerous criticisms. It'll be interesting to see how well the other game does.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 10:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
... ever since I was a kid and played SimCity 4.

Sigh - when I was a kid, it was the original Sim City.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#9 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 7:48 AM
SimTower for Windows 7. It's one of those small downtime games like Solitaire that you can just get in and play while listening to music and get out when you're done. It's about renting space for money, plopping down rooms ( movie theaters, garbage rooms, offices, restaurants ), and setting up your elevator transportation so that people stop getting pissed and rating you down. No fighting but there can be fires. Oh, it's by Maxis.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 5:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shoosh Malooka
SimTower for Windows 7. It's one of those small downtime games like Solitaire that you can just get in and play while listening to music and get out when you're done. It's about renting space for money, plopping down rooms ( movie theaters, garbage rooms, offices, restaurants ), and setting up your elevator transportation so that people stop getting pissed and rating you down. No fighting but there can be fires. Oh, it's by Maxis.

What a coincidence that someone would mention SimTower. SimTower is one of my favorite games! It was developed by Yoot Saito and his small company but translated and distributed in North America (and possibly Europe) by Maxis. I love that game so much, I am working on a higher resolution web-game inspired by SimTower.

If you want to see my progress (and play around with what I have), here is the page: http://azemocram.github.io/OcramTower/

--Ocram

Always do your best.