Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 3:33 AM
Default F.E.A.R. Demo
Just downloaded it (all 630 mb, whew) and installed it as well. Anyone else given it a try yet?

All I can say is..."Wow". That's pretty intense. Even if the rest of the game isn't as wild as that rather short demo, I'll probably end up buying this game soley for the slow-motion gunfights. Absolutely stunning.

It is, however, very graphically intense. Knowing that I was fighting a losing battle, I turned down a few settings from maximum to medium, and the game was still as good looking, if not better than, Doom 3. The slowmotion effects are brilliant, as is the use of the lighting (with that in mind, I recommend that you don't lower the lighting settings if you can).

And yes, it's pretty scare. Not System Shock 2 four years ago scary, but still scary.

Intense stuff.

Anyway, if your PC can handle it (or Doom 3), definitely get this. I'm hoping they'll have tweaked the final product a bit so that A) it's not so taxing on the system and B) the really long load times are a bit shorter. It's probably useless, but hey, maybe it's time for a little optimism.

And, as usual, little girls are really freaking creepy.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 2:45 PM
Where do you get it? please.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 3:31 PM
Pop along to www.whatisfear.com

I've gone through this demo about 8 times so far, the enemy AI is simply some of the best I've seen in PC gaming. Considering what I do for a living I've seen a lot of FPS AI and this is just astounding.

And it looks gorgeous... it doesn't have the artistic merit of HL2 perhaps but visually it is no slouch. Thankfully my system has no problems running this with everything cranked up to the max and it just looks gorgeous.

Eagerly anticipating the full version... time to suck up to my editor methinks. :P

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 3:43 PM
You can also get it at filefront.com. Just look under demos.

This may be the game that convinces me to buy another gig of RAM for my machine.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 9:58 AM
This game runs smooth on my old-ass box, I don't know what's taxing your system... o_O

I only played thru one time.. one good startle that had me shooting at nothing... and that guy at the ending.. I was ready to throw down, trying to find that particle rifle when the demo ended.

I'll play it again to try out some of the other weapons.. I didn't note anything special from the AI tho, I did have one guy come from like a mile away after I took his buddy out with one headshot... I mean, it was great that he could track me that far... but he probably shouldn't have just walked right in front of me when he got there. And they seemed to love to catch grenades... I'll try extreme instead of hard when I play again and see if they get smarter, considering what I do for a living I guess I could have missed something.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Aug 2005 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzaki
This game runs smooth on my old-ass box, I don't know what's taxing your system... o_O

What are your graphics settings?

I've gotten it so that lighting effects and textures are probably superior to those in Doom 3, and there won't be any hic-ups in the framerate. However, I originally ran it on full detail, and while there is a slight difference, I've always intended to buy another gig of ram anyway (my old laptop had 1 GIG of RAM, this new PC can support up to three, might as well take advantage of that.

As for the AI...I guess it really depends on the difficulty level. The AI does have a few moments of brilliance, with some flanking manuevers and trying to lure you out, but again, they are easily sniped. At least in that clearing where you encounter the helicopter.