Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 8:19 AM
Default The Ungodly Unease of UPlay
So after a few months of not playing, I figure that it's time to start playing Anno 2070 again. With dreams of recreating my own wonderous island dictatorship I get to the UPlay screen, which is basically the stripmall version of Steam there to protect me from pirates who will apparently break into my house and steal my game or some shit. Forced to endure an automatic updating process I didn't ask for, I get a message saying that the system is crashed. This happens whenever I try and start up Uplay or bypass the whole thing and launch Anno 2070, whenever it tries to update.

Looking online the two million threads over the past couple years tell me the same thing. I just have to complete the totally simple easy task of uninstalling it, wiping away every trace of it's existence on my computer, then redownloading it again.

So I guess I have two questions about this:
1. Is there some lazier easier solution? Chances are with this shit software program from that shit company I'll be having to do this a few more times before I give up and swear off anything from Ubisoft.

2. If I do uninstall, what does it mean for Anno 2070? It was purchased from a store, installed from the CD so I'm assuming if I uninstall UPlay the game and all my saves and files and everything will still be there on my computer, just unable to be played until I reinstall Uplay. Or will it all be wiped out when I unistall it?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 11:32 AM
UPlay is arse.

I can't help with any of your questions* but I just wanted to get that off my chest. It's the main reason I resist buying from them. I love those Anno games but I think Anno 2070 will be the last I buy.

* though in answer to q.1 I will say I don't think so. Though if anyone has a workaround I will be eternally grateful to them.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#3 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 1:05 PM
There's a lesson here: The next time you hear of onerous DRM crammed into a game, it's time to set sail on the high seas and get it there instead, DRM-free. When you buy it, you're supporting it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 2:12 PM
I didn't realise it came with the game JMP but you're probably right. UPlay is still arse though.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 30th Nov 2014 at 6:25 PM
Anno 2070 stopped working for me in the summer and when that finally got to be too much for me, I decided to look at the official forum and found out that I must uninstall UPlay then download UPlay from Ubisoft's website and install that. Then Anno 2070 will work.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Dec 2014 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
There's a lesson here: The next time you hear of onerous DRM crammed into a game, it's time to set sail on the high seas and get it there instead, DRM-free. When you buy it, you're supporting it.

Fool me six times, shame on you, game developers. Fool me seven or more times, shame on me. I had never used Uplay before Anno 2070, figured it would just be a typical registration thing or something. Uplay truly is arse.

Still, it was worth it to have J.M. Pescado comment on my thread. <3

I guess I'll just back up all my saves and then reinstall the stupid program when I have time and nobody is around to hear me swear awful words at it.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.