Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
transmogrified
retired moderator
#51 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 3:34 PM
What would be the hazards of changing the zoning of an inhabited lot?

You can render an apartment lot unplayable that way, if you mean switching from residential -> apartmentbase or apartmentbase -> residential. This is because the apartmentbase isn't the saved game, a sublot (generated when you move a family into a specific unit) is.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 4:26 PM
Ah, so even if the hack existed, Rich Romance would have to move out of his house while it was being duplexed and then move back in after the zoning was changed.

I was thinking I might be able to simulate this by using the dorm doors for the units and locking them, enabling the household to operate as two separate families for purposes of cooking, cleaning, sleeping, etc., but in that case all the money from the tenant would be pooled with Rich's and if he died while he had a tenant, the tenant would take over the house. I'd also have to be locking and unlocking the dorm doors for visitors all the time. Way too cumbersome, though it might work for an adult living a supposedly separate life over his parents' garage - they'd constantly be butting in on his visitors, he'd be mooching dinner, and so on.
Test Subject
#53 Old 4th Apr 2011 at 4:14 AM
I built AN APARTMENT! Ya it got destroyed.... It burned down to the ground
Test Subject
#54 Old 6th Apr 2011 at 10:03 AM
Hi there!
Does anybody know of any cheats or hacks that can allow you to have more than 4 playable families in an apartment?
I have built an 8 apartments building.
I have NPC's living there, but they don't quite fit in with my story line.
Thanks
Scholar
#55 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 6:03 PM
I love making apartments, and especially when I can annoy one neighbor with having the teeniest of apartment while everyone has luxury. Though I have learned one lesson in making apartments. NEVER add anything that Sims natrually navigate towards. Unless you want to constantly baby sit your sim to make sure he/she is not trying to play games, play music, or play chess with the neighbors while their needs are nearing red. This especially goes for bars, because the sim will automatically go to the bar instead of getting itself food.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JADGIRL
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I saw that the tread was talking about Apartment Life. I was wondering if there was a way to have a normal residential lot but still be able to have a roommate?
Since no one seems to have answered Jadgirl's question, does that mean the answer is no? I've been looking for such a hack too.
Scholar
#57 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 8:32 PM
I am interested in the above question also.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 25th Aug 2011 at 1:49 AM
Re: roommates in residential lots, it might be possible. I used SimBlender to move a sim who was a roommate into a residential lot, and her roommate status was not erased. Her icon appeared in a separate column, she wasn't controllable, and so on. In my case, this was not a desirable state so I eventually managed to make her a normal person again. However it's possible if I had left her she would have behaved like a roommate.

I'm unsure this would be 100% safe though. I don't know what would happen if a roommate can't find the apartment controller. Either the sim would just move on with her life unaffected, or she would error out a lot and be unable to do anything. I don't think it would corrupt anything, but as always when doing something outside normal game design I'd suggest trying it for a few days in a test neighborhood before risking your main hood.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Test Subject
#59 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 9:37 AM
thxx alot :D
Field Researcher
#60 Old 29th Aug 2011 at 5:38 AM
Alright, annoying issue here, and I hope someone can answer! Built apartment, have all as needed, and functioning well, save one little thing. I wanted a trash chute on the roof (shared area), and forgot to place it. Have tried using the cheats "apartmentBuildBuyRestrictions [on/off]" and "
boolProp aptBaseLotSpecificToolsDisabled [true/false]", entering these both in live mode AND in buy mode, with the "testing cheats" enabled (as always). However, they do not work, and I still cannot place the trash chute. Other cheats work just fine - no idea why this one won't. Anyone have a solution? have all the EPs, and the stuff packs that came with "Fun with Pets".
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#61 Old 29th Aug 2011 at 9:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes649
Alright, annoying issue here, and I hope someone can answer! Built apartment, have all as needed, and functioning well, save one little thing. I wanted a trash chute on the roof (shared area), and forgot to place it. Have tried using the cheats "apartmentBuildBuyRestrictions [on/off]" and "
boolProp aptBaseLotSpecificToolsDisabled [true/false]", entering these both in live mode AND in buy mode, with the "testing cheats" enabled (as always). However, they do not work, and I still cannot place the trash chute. Other cheats work just fine - no idea why this one won't. Anyone have a solution? have all the EPs, and the stuff packs that came with "Fun with Pets".

AFAIK The cheat is:
boolProp aptSubLotSpecificToolsDisabled false
There is an issue with apartment lots. You use the sub-lot cheat given here if you have moved sims into an apartment. The thing is, if you place the object for one family, you will find that if you load a neighbour family, that you will have to place the object again. This is because played apartment lots are all separate lots. If you move the families out, you will be able to edit the base lot again (that is the lot which the aptBaseLotSpecificToolsDisabled cheat you mentioned above is related to - it won't work on the sub-lots, i.e. the lived-in lots).
Field Researcher
#62 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 12:26 PM
Ah, so different wording.....weird, that it didn't tell me it wasn't a valid cheat! Will try that one, thanks!
Mad Poster
#63 Old 13th Nov 2011 at 6:45 PM
is there a limit to the number of families on one apartment lot?
Mad Poster
#64 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 2:04 AM
Four apartments can have playables in them.

I don't know if there's a limit to the number of apartments, but only four at a time can have playables in them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#65 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 5:13 AM
Thank you so much dude
Field Researcher
#66 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Four apartments can have playables in them.

I don't know if there's a limit to the number of apartments, but only four at a time can have playables in them.

There is no limit of apartments for NPCs. However, make too many and your lot will lag to hell. Yes, you can make 20, 30 apartments in one lot. But what do you think will happen when 30 families live in one lot? Only imagine the moment when they go to work and you will lol.

"And every now and then people find the bugs, and they interpret those as cool failures in the Sims terms. For them it's like a treasure hunt, you know." Will Wright

The thing you have to love about the Sims community ----->Its creativity.
Mad Poster
#67 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:14 PM
FYI: it IS possible to make a restaurant in the apt building, with the added bonus of a restaurant employee running to your apartment to clean up a dish or newspaper! Sort of becomes a nice HOTEL!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Not affiliated with ModTheSims whatsoever
#68 Old 15th Dec 2011 at 9:11 PM
thanks for the guide!
Test Subject
#69 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 8:32 PM
SimsXine
So The code is changelotzoning apartmentbase! Thanxxxx
Test Subject
#70 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:32 PM
Thank you !
Mad Poster
#71 Old 1st Aug 2012 at 11:20 PM
I noticed something, if you place a modular staircase inside a two-floor apartment, the top floor will not count as part of the apartment, does that mean I have to use either the spirals or the fixed stairs?
Mad Poster
#72 Old 2nd Aug 2012 at 12:54 AM
Yes. It's in the tutorial - apartments don't like modular stairs. Or those little room-dividers.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#73 Old 2nd Aug 2012 at 1:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Or those little room-dividers.

You mean half-walls or the extremely low fences that came with Pets? What's wrong with them? Apparently they restrict usable space(?).
Field Researcher
#74 Old 2nd Aug 2012 at 3:49 AM
Yes, the very tiny Pets fences.

I learned this the hard way when I built posh apartments that had an "entryway" that was fenced off.
I kept wondering why the rent was so ridiculously low and why they couldn't properly use their furniture
Mad Poster
#75 Old 15th Aug 2012 at 4:06 AM
UGH! I have been trying to resize the bedrooms in my apt building and still nothing works, the rent is something like 1,268 and doesn't really change by much, guess I have to compress it even more! Its really annoying. I was thinking of making an apartment for elders or widowers atleast. I will need at least one bedroom and an extra room. Got to try again I guess!
Page 3 of 7