Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 2nd Apr 2008 at 7:28 PM
Great tutorial Faylen. I have a question though. How would one go about making highlights and shadows on a bright color shirt with thin horizontal stripes? I have found it hard to do so.

Call me Dana. :)
Dana's Sims - 100% free custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 17th Apr 2008 at 2:10 PM
i love you. in other words, thanks

I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.
-Marilyn Monroe
Test Subject
#53 Old 26th May 2008 at 7:20 PM
I dont have photoshop, but I have photoimpression and paintHow do you make shadows and stuff then??
Test Subject
#54 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 9:23 PM
Thank you Faylen, again.
Test Subject
#55 Old 19th Jul 2008 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by the_book_of_shadows
where do you get your fabrics?

You can get some from here http://cgtextures.com/
Test Subject
#56 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 2:29 AM
can you help me i have done exactly what you've done in this example, except i changed the fabric but i've done all that you've said but the shadows didn't appear when i had it in body shop. Any ideas what probably went wrong?
Test Subject
#57 Old 27th Aug 2008 at 8:49 AM
How simple some things can be! Thank you very much
Test Subject
#58 Old 17th Sep 2008 at 3:31 PM
Thank you
Faylen, I have to thank you so very much for your excellent tutorials, I have gone thru each one of them word for word and have finally been able to create items for my Sim's. I used the shadow and highlite's tutorial to add a texture to the double wide curtains! Thank you so much for taking the time to show people how to create. My creations are far from good enough to post here but because of your tutorials, I feel in time they will be. Thanks again! :P
Field Researcher
#59 Old 8th Oct 2008 at 5:58 AM
Thanks so much!

I tried it in Paint.net....I must've done something wrong, cause when i refreshed, the whole clothing was missing! I don't know. :-/ I need to read more lol.
Test Subject
#60 Old 7th Mar 2009 at 11:01 AM
Thanks Faylen!
Your entire tutorial series was great, hopefully now my clothes will look a tonne more realistic
Test Subject
#61 Old 4th May 2009 at 5:21 PM
Thank you Faylen! I have learned so much from your tutorials, especially how to use the Photoshop Elements that I won in a scrapbooking contest! I read them all, several times and yesterday I made the first item that I can truthfully say I am proud to have made. I went online, found a skirt I liked, got the texture, skewed it a bit, and used it to recolor a drab looking maxis into a fabulous new dress. Thanks so much!
Test Subject
#62 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 3:45 PM
omg! that look easy
thank u very mux :D
Test Subject
#63 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 9:15 PM
I don't get it. I have paint.NET and I am just blustered.

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
Field Researcher
#64 Old 2nd Dec 2009 at 11:36 PM
Can you do that without photoshop
Field Researcher
#65 Old 3rd Dec 2009 at 1:50 AM
As I've played with this, I've found that it sometimes helps to make several different layers for this - thick shadows, thin shadows, thick and thin highlights, and to colorize them using hue/saturation for certain textures. That way you can be a little more accurate with the opacity of each shadow and highlight, and take out individual spots you don't like without scrapping the whole thing.

Unless you're really artistic, use lots and lots of layers to compensate for not knowing for sure whether your brushstrokes are going onto the right places!
Test Subject
#66 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 2:01 AM
how do u dd a new blank layer again?

If life gave me lemons, ya know what I'd do? I'd throw them back and Demand EDWARD CULLENS.
Field Researcher
#67 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 6:30 PM
Easiest way is to go to the layers menu at the top menu bar and select New>Layer from the drop down menu.
Test Subject
#68 Old 12th May 2010 at 7:50 PM
can you do this with "PAINT" ?
Field Researcher
#69 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 5:21 PM
Thank you!!!
Field Researcher
#70 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 8:01 PM
No idea if you can do it with Paint. Never tried it.

What I've been doing with Photoshop has been making a copy layer of the original texture, moving it up to the top, and creating a new layer that I paint on. One color gets picked up for shadows, and there may be a second or third layer if the outfit has different colors in different sections. Using a faded edge brush, anywhere from 9-24 pixels, I'll make lines or dots where the shadows are on the original texture (pay attention to which layer is highlighted before you start, or you'll be painting on the background copy layer instead of the shadow layer!) Using the smudge tool, I smudge the lines and dots until they match the original as closely as possible.

Then click on the background copy layer in your layers palette and slide the opacity to zero so you can see how the shadows look on your texture. If the color isn't right, select Image>Adjustments>Curves. Even if you don't know how to "properly" use this tool, you can play around with it and see what looks right. It's a lot less guesswork than trying to fool around with Hue/Saturation.

When the color looks right, then go to your layers palette and play with the Fill and Opacity. Fill basically changes the size of your shadows. The lower the fill, the more your shadows will retreat from their edges. Opacity changes how much of your texture will show through the shadows.

If you get an opacity that you like, but the color of the shadow doesn't work anymore, try going to Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation and changing the saturation of the shadows. If you got the color right the first time, this will do the trick. If not, then go back to Curves, but only as a last resort. Once you change the curves, you'll get a COMPLETELY different result when you adjust the opacity of your layer. If your version of PS has Vibrance, that might work, too. It depends on the colors and pattern of your texture.

Keep checking your results in Body Shop. Hit F9 if you want to get rid of the tool tips box on the right and get a better full view. (F9 again brings the tool tips back.)

Once you've got that, do the exact same thing with a new layer for highlights. You may like the look of the highlights layer on top, or you might prefer the shadow layer on top instead.

The nice thing about this is that you can make a mistake and not have to trash your whole project. My artist daughter scoffs at me because using the smudge tool is typical of amateurs, but I'm an amateur, and she's shown no inclination to teach me a better way. So there.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 8:48 AM
So if I understand this correctly it are the lines that add the shadow? Does it matter where you add those stripes in the pic? I want to add some shadow to a necklace.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Field Researcher
#72 Old 9th Sep 2010 at 5:39 PM
If the necklace is "painted on", then there are a couple of easier ways to do it. If all you're trying to do is make it "pop out" a little bit more from the sim's neck, you select the necklace only. To protect the rest of your texture, copy and paste it to make a standalone necklace layer. Go to the layers menu, select layer style, then drop shadow. A box will pop out that will allow you to adjust how deep the shadow looks, how many pixels it spreads out, the direction of the light source, and such. Play around with it, "Save As" the texture bmp and preview it in Body Shop, but don't flatten your layers until it looks right on the mannequin.

If the original outfit comes with a bump map, you can increase the lightness of the necklace part of it and/or increase the darkness of the shadows, but again, make a duplicate layer so that if you mess up, you can go back to the original.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 3:52 PM
yay! thanks so much, this is extremely helpful!

♪☺♥ ░▒▓~* MIKOROX *~ ▓▒░♥☺♪
Have you destroyed a paysite today?
Field Researcher
#74 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 3:10 AM
omg thanks a MILLION for this! its just what i needed to know~
Test Subject
#75 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 10:19 AM
hopefully this tutorial helps with a dress i want to upload soon!
Page 3 of 4