Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:44 PM
Default What just happened to this house?
So while I was building a new house, I suddenly couldnt build a second floor. I did install two stuff packs and pached the game before, but the strange things, I can add a second floor on other lots?

Although, I really doubt this isnt the reason, Im using a no-cd cracked version of the game but that has nothing to do this house. The game have been worked fine for other 4 years on different laptops. So dont bash me about that. (just mention what version Im using...)

Ive an intel hp laptop on widows 8, but this happened *after* I patched some of the games: Its been work well when I installed the entire game few weeks ago.
I just found this a little odd, what went wrong with this house?? Im not a build mode expert exactly... But as you can see, two of the pictures (2+3), where I test builded somewhere else on the lot, I was able to build a second floor but not the main house.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 4:59 PM
Constrain floor elevation gone wrong?
(Also since it doesn't make a difference, maybe don't mention stuff you're not supposed to receive help with, if you don't want your thread locked )
What happens with the first house, is there a message, something in the tooltip?
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:09 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:30 PM.
"Need something to support it". Maybe the stairs? But usually a second floor are added automatic, so .
ow
The reason why I asked is that i dont use build mode much and because I dont know much how the patches works, like if they having to do with it like a bug from the patch. I did receive a message, that I should have patched an newer EP that I used instead of the older EPs. Something I forget when I first installed the game.

(and I mentioned no-cd, because thats the answer you get when searching and people often ask what version you are using, like ulimate collection, normal cd etc, and I know thats not the reason for this. It worked fine in spring and for several years. I just wanted mention that, not asking help about it. :P)

EDIT: Now, this is weird, I tested around and I carefully placed the walls on the other walls and then add floors "manually", it works, like when you are adding a balcony. It didnt work automatically. So It doesnt seems like a bug.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:19 PM
Usually when I get the "nothing to support it" message, it means my cursor isn't where I think it is and I'm trying to put a wall a square over or up from where I think it is. The game changes levels on me without my noticing it and I'm trying to place on the third floor when I think I'm still on the second.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:21 PM
If Im not mistaken, doesn't the next floor do it automatically, not good at explaining, but the visible floor tiles show up after you created the walls?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:32 PM
(Oh, OK, disk version then^^) The reason I mention the CFE cheat is that the fence around the driveway "melts" with the house foundation, which I think is impossible without cheats?? (lower left corner)
Anyway when I have the "need support" message, I moveobject (if necessary) columns on the lower floor and that usually solves it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:51 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
The reason I mention the CFE cheat is that the fence around the driveway "melts" with the house foundation, which I think is impossible without cheats?? (lower left corner)

Seems like it isnt impossible. I had moveobjects off when I builded the house, but the fench is blurred together with the walls, like if I placed trees too close to a lot. Graphic issue? But that did happen before, I couldnt move the fench and foundation next to eachother.

Edit: AHA! The elevation DID went gone wrong. But the foundation is acting abit weird, sometimes, it doesnt fill out the area completly?
I used the slam hanger to remove a part of the house, going to scrap this one anyway. Never seen this happened before...
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:49 PM
Oh, my bad, I just tried and it's not impossible at all, I just never tried^^

Edit: is it impossible to cover that hole? Is the lot inhabited? You could try putting Pescado's yellow boxes, "stuck object remover" on that ground where it's not possible to cover. The space might be occupied by something invisible (butterflies about to appear, "go here and shoo" destination, "play catch".... a lot of stuff)
Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:55 PM
Its non-inhabited. It seems like I need to remove the foundation before I can fill that area. (It only happens to this specific lot, crreated on an empty 2x2 one).
I create the houses and put them in the house bin before adding them back to the hood. (heard somewhere it can cause problem, if you move an previously inhabited lot to a different hood)..
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 5:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Constrain floor elevation gone wrong?
(Also since it doesn't make a difference, maybe don't mention stuff you're not supposed to receive help with, if you don't want your thread locked )
What happens with the first house, is there a message, something in the tooltip?

I consider the no-cd to be a mod and not a crack. A crack is getting the game for free and a no-cd mod allows the legally own game to run without having the disk in that can harm the disk and there getting harder to replace as time goes on.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marka93
I consider the no-cd to be a mod and not a crack. A crack is getting the game for free and a no-cd mod allows the legally own game to run without having the disk in that can harm the disk and there getting harder to replace as time goes on.

Well, actually, years ago, I did download the game but that something I probably shouldnt talk about on here. I used a real copy long time but it kept breaking (clumsy, living with pets and spill cococola on anything.... I think I bought the first game, three times or something ) and since the game is hard to find now, and Im not interested in Ultimate collection, I keep using the one I saved on a seperated harddrive. (and to be honnest, I hate downloading stuff and was thinking of buying TS3 if I couldnt make it work again, because Im tired of getting spyware stuff.. It was a teen thing. Now, I only download foreign stuff that cant be bough where I live ).
Theorist
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 6:44 PM
Some observations:

1) Patching a No-CD Crack is asking for problems. You say it worked for years previously, but are unclear whether you patched your No-CD version previously.
2) It has been my experience that leaving the moveobjects cheat on during various building operations can result in objects no longer working, including walls, fences, etc. I often have to turn off, then on, then off again the moveobjects cheat to get the game working again. In short, make sure all building cheats are off if you are not actually using them.
3) Excessive use of CFE in a particular area of a Lot can mess up that area to where it becomes difficult to get rid of remnants of levels that are not readily visible. I've had this happen when I was doing things like building angled ramps (are there any other kind?), which involved turning CFE on and off many times in a particular area. In short, the game becomes confused with too much CFE'ing in one particular area. It kind of sounds like this might be happening.
I'm not sure of a definite solution. Try turning CFE on and leveling out each level, all across the house, including the ground level, so there are no "bumps" anywhere. Make sure there are no levels visible above the house, that might be left over from previous CFE'ing, as well as no leftover floor tiles at higher levels. Afterwards, saving, exiting and re-entering the Lot might very well help.
4) That fencing near the corner does seem to have "melted" into the foundation, which is not normal. Normally, fencing will always automatically place itself on top of foundations. I would guess this was caused by something you did with CFE and could be the cause of some problems.
5) "I used the slam hanger to remove a part of the house". Vernacular noted for possible future use as Sim meme.

Solution: If the problems can't be resolved, take floorplan pics and rebuild. Rebuilding is a snap.
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 7:08 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 2nd Sep 2015 at 7:11 PM. Reason: "swe-nglish" typo. xD
Well, I know there are no warranty with no-cd version of games (learned that the hard way, many many years ago),
but what I mean with that I didnt patch it before was when i had installed it, the patching keep crashing, so I ignored to run the rest. A few weeks later, I notice I forgot to install some stuff packs (that I wanted to use) and tryied patching again, this time it worked. Because before, I was patched the wrong ones. The game gave me such messages that I needed to patch the latest version, because I kept trying patching the base game.

As for CFE, I havent use that cheat (didnt even know what that was until googled it ) nor had move objects on until later when adding floors on the corner of the lot. But thats good to know about turning them off. ^^ I mainly use move objects to move sims to another area (when taking photos or when they are stucked in cramped areas , fill in corners with floors like around the driveway, or move items on top of each other, not much for building.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2015 at 10:16 PM
Come on guys no talking about 'you know what'. Just because most of use use methods to keep our disk safe it's against the rules to even mention it. Just edit your posts before a mod comes and does it for you. It makes absolutely no difference to the running of your game so mentioning it gets you no different help. Just mention your EP's.
Things can mess up when you build.
Always save often then exit to hood if need be.
For large lots save and package to file or move a copy into the bin 2-3 times during building. That saved my bacon on my water park.
For smaller lots gone wrong, start over and bulldoze the wonky lot.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
If Im not mistaken, doesn't the next floor do it automatically, not good at explaining, but the visible floor tiles show up after you created the walls?

Only if you are on the right floor, and if you made it solid (you didn't accidentally leave out a wall)

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Theorist
#16 Old 3rd Sep 2015 at 2:32 PM
I've had that problem a few times with no cheats being used. Usually what I did was put columns on the level before and was able to place flooring after that, then removed the columns. Not sure why it happened and usually was in a larger house.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 2:45 PM
Oh hang on, I have read the thread properly now.

This is normal game behaviour. When you build a wall around the entire second floor AND fill it in with floor tiles, then it will push the elevation up properly. The foundation will only change the level it's on and any walls immediately above it. So you build the foundation, build floor 1, add floor tiles, build floor 2, add floor tiles. It will then adjust it correctly. It does this so that if you want to you can build a floor level garage or similar elsewhere on the lot without crazy elevation issues, but it is a bit confusing if you don't build in a way that the game expects.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...