Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#251 Old 22nd May 2008 at 5:51 PM
Default Marie-Elisabeth & César - la suite de Valois, fighting fears and needs, respectively
(((ooc: Just a bit of a head's up, and, I know, a way early one too, but there's no time like the present, right? Anyway; June 4-7, I won't be around much, if at all. Why? Because I'll be at Sweden Rock Festival (whooooo!) which means I'll get out of bed, go there, rock out (in my own cool, mellow way of course), come home, crash into bed, sleep, wake up, go back and continue rockin' out... Rinse and repeat, until the festival is over. June 8 I'm planning on being comatose, but after that, I should be back to normal (as normal as I get). Just to let you guys know. )))

The vast capacity of women, had never ceased to amaze César. Avid fan of female charms that he was, he would still marvel at the many layers hidden underneath their pale skin, behind their gleaming eyes. They could be as strong as they could be fragile, as stubborn as they could be accommodating, and as virtuous as they could be passionate. The Madonna and the whore, all wrapped into one complex creature of immense beauty. And power. A woman that knew how to use her assest and her wide range of faces, was a dangerous thing indeed. And one that did not, even more so, for there would always be that tiny extra pinch of sincerity that could not be feigned, and would deliver her blows to a man's heart with twice the impact of those that first took aim.

Thus, it was no wonder that the fragile girl Marie-Elisabeth, once the very verbal and suggestive Comtesse de Valois, had César on his knees, quite literally, with her apparent shame at having been caught in her act, which had since been shattered into what seemed like a million pieces.
One spell broken, another one cast.

"Apprahension towards the unknown or unfamiliar is a part of human nature indeed", he said and smiled softly up at her. "But sadly there is little comfort I, or anyone can give, as the only way to overcome such apprahension, is to just close your eyes and take the plunge, for it is the only way that you can truly find out for yourself that there is nothing to fear. Everything else will just be hearsay, another person's take on the matter. But if it can bring you some sort of comfort to hear mine, then I will gladly share it with you."

With that, he stood once more, still gripping her hand and tugging gently at it to indicate that he wanted her to stand as well, having decided that it was only fair to allow her a while to ponder his words, should she feel she needed it. Thus he changed the subject back the question that had already been asked once, but never answered;

"Now", he said with another smile, this one being a bit more cheerful than the last. "How about that slow ride along the countryside? It is much too beautiful a day for such radiant beauty to be cooped up inside a boring old Palace."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Advertisement
Scholar
#252 Old 22nd May 2008 at 8:32 PM
Default Marie-Elisabeth & César - Her rooms, actually talking about horses for once
Marie-Elisabeth marveled at the fact that a morning that had started out in such a dismal fashion had turned into something vastly different than expected. She had gotten up that morning in the most unpleasant of moods, and had thought that was how the rest of the day would go. Instead she had spent the rest of the morning going from depressed, to happy, to embarrassed beyond all reason, and finally landing back at a sense of relieved happiness.

She listened to César’s words as he stood up and found herself agreeing with nearly every one. He was absolutely right; there was really nothing else better for being apprehensive about something then just getting over your fears and doing whatever it was. She knew that, it was something she told Charles all the time when he was afraid of doing something. She laughed slightly as she remembered herself telling Charles that when, of all things, he had gotten on a full grown horse for the first time.

It was good advice, and advice she intended on following.

Now looking back on the situation she was growing increasingly embarrassed about how she had acted, but was thankfully able to keep most of it under control. Her state of mind had returned to something resembling normal, and she sincerely hoped the strange person she had been a few moments ago would not make another appearance again for some time. She stood up and smiled back at César, nodding her head. “I would love to” she said, looking over at the window and back again “It really is much too nice outside to sit around in here”. Marie-Elisabeth laughed and ran her free hand across her sleeve.

“Though I’m afraid you’ll have to give me some time to change first. This isn’t the most appropriate thing to go out riding in” she said, already doing a mental run-through of her extensive wardrobe to figure out what she could wear. “I’ll be as fast as I can if you don’t mind waiting for me”.

(((OOC: Ooooooooh you got the box set Atropa! Awesome! Watch the bloopers, they’re hilarious :P

And just a reminder to everyone, after today I’ll be gone till Sunday, so I’ll try to wrap things up/fix them in a way that’s okay with me not being here. That is in between Con prep, which means me running around trying to find all my costume parts, pack a giant suitcase, and raid my pocky stash)))

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Top Secret Researcher
#253 Old 22nd May 2008 at 10:33 PM
((OOC: I am so sorry I've been MIA for so long, there's been natural disasters social disasters and general crap on all sides of me of late. I'm psoting this now in case people ahve assumed I died [I didn't] and I'll ahve an RP post up once I've read what I missed. Sorry for the absence, and the OOC post))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#254 Old 22nd May 2008 at 10:39 PM
Default César & Marie-Elisabeth
Knowing women and their fickle nature, and having just been subjected to a surprising transformation of Comtesse de Valois, from worldly young lady to something resembling an insecure and inexperienced girl, César almost breathed an audiable sigh of relief when Marie-Elisabeth complied with his silent request, and stood, flashing him a genuine smile that looked very much like the ones he was used to seeing from her. It wasn't that mischievous smirk that he had come to love, but then again, nor had he expected it to be. That side of her had just caused her a great deal of embarrassment and frustration, and revealed to him layers of her being that he would venture a guess were not among the ones she wished to display, and so she would probably think twice before adapting that daring image around him again. For a little while at least. César would be greatly disappointed if it would turn out to be a permanent change, for he so did love that little game of theirs, regardless of the fact that she might not have the experience to back it up. It didn't matter much, since she did have the wits, and to him, that mattered more.

He was equally relieved when she went on to finally agree to that slow ride he had promised her, not to mention pleased to hear that she did indeed consider a change of clothes to be necessary. Good. Although the creamy white creation with the fur trimmings that she was wearing was indeed a beautiful one, it was far too... conservative, in comparison with what she usually wore, and he much looked forward to seeing her in something more along those lines, as it tended to bring out her beauty and her... female attributes a bit better. Not vulgary so - no, far from it - but rather in a way that would make it enough for men to admire and appreciate, and women to envy, but still modest enough to evade condemnation by anyone.

"Not at all, Comtesse", he said, and while she might have dropped the ambiguous tone for the time being, he, on the other hand, had not, leaving his words to ring true not only in regard of her changing clothes, when adding; "I am patient man, and will gladly wait. Please, take the time you need."

(((ooc: Oh God, talk about a Freudian slip! When I was typing this up, I accidently typed "rise" instead of "ride" in the "that slow ride he had promised her".

Also, slytherin, by the way you described ME's suite, I assumed that she would go into another room to change, so that César could remain where he is, correct?

FurryPanda - Glad to know you're okay. Sounds like you've been through quite an ordeal. :/ )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#255 Old 22nd May 2008 at 11:55 PM
Default Marie-Elisabeth & César - About to go riding (Take that as you will ;) )

"I am patient man, and will gladly wait. Please, take the time you need."

Marie-Elisabeth smiled to herself at the last comment, somehow feeling greatly relieved by it. “I’ll be as fast as I possibly can,” she said, taking her hand away from his “I don’t want to keep you waiting for too long”. She smiled at him as she walked across the room to the doorway that connected the room they were in to her bedroom, that faint smirk she was usually so fond of making slowly creeping back onto her face.

Once the door was shut, she called for Jeanne to help her get dressed. Marie-Elisabeth had not been lying earlier, in the real or implied sense of the word, when she said she had not been riding in quite some time. She honestly hadn’t had much time to do so when occupied with the business of the Valois lands and estates. But that had not stopped her from having some lovely riding outfits made to bring with her to the palace; there was no chance that she would pass up any opportunity to have pretty new clothes to wear.

“I’m going to be going out riding” she said to Jeanne who had appeared in front of her with the usual curtsy “I’d like the red outfit please, and the hat and gloves to go with it”. Jeanne nodded and Marie-Elisabeth continued “And to apologize for being so short this morning, it was un necessary”.

“It’s allright Madame” Jeanne replied and she exited the room “Everyone’s entitled to a bad day once and a while”. Marie-Elisabeth smiled as she left, sitting down at the vanity to pull the ribbon out of her hair. She picked up the brush and a larger bright red ribbon, brushing her long hair back into a neat ponytail, and tying the ribbon into a bow.

Jeanne soon returned with the requested items of clothing and they set about changing her dress. She was quite fond of the riding outfit , the bright red colour looked beautiful on her and it was done in the militaristic style that was so popular among noble ladies. Of course there was the fact that it was much more fitted and closer to the body than full court dress, which showed off her figure even better. Except for certain upper parts of it which were concealed from view by the high lace cravat and white shirt underneath.

Marie-Elisabeth just shrugged and supposed she couldn't have everything, as the tri corner hat finished of the look and was carefully placed atop her head. she was carefull to tuck her locket underneath her dress, she didn't want to chance anything happening to it. Her new braclet was left on her hand as well, it would be well secured underneath her gloves when she put them on.

“You look lovely Madame” Jeanne said as Marie-Elisabeth twirled around in front of the mirror, admiring her reflection. “Thank you Jeanne, you may go now. I don’t think I’ll need you again until dinnertime” she replied and the maid nodded and departed the room. Aware that she had already been in her room changing for quite some time, and not wanting to make her company wait, Marie-Elisabeth hurriedly slipped on her shoes and took a final look in the mirror.

“Perfect” she said, grinning as she picked her gloves up off the table and walked back across the room to the connecting door.

“I’m ready to go now” she called to Cesar as she pushed it open “I’m sorry it was such a long wait. You men don’t know how lucky you are that all you have to do is put on a pair of breeches, a shirt, and a jacket”.

(((OOC: Atropa: *snicker* Freudian slip indeed.

Yup, you’ve got it right. I based her rooms (Like far to many other things about her) off Marie-Antoinette’s. So there’s the room they’re in, for receiving guests and such, and the other one for sleeping & getting dressed.

Furrypanda: Wow o.0 I’m glad everything’s okay now. ME looks forward to taking Larkin’s money again )))

SixWordStories
Top Secret Researcher
#256 Old 23rd May 2008 at 3:12 AM
((OOC: Aww, thanks for the sympathy. Everythings all better, there's been electricity for three whole days now! No computer, but electricity, and the flooding has gone way way down, is only ankle deep in most places. So yeah, things are looking up, and I am back for the forseeable future... which in my present state of mind is about a week ;p))

Larkin had eventually retired to his room and had his valet go to the kitchens to filch something for them to share. The boy, Ambrose, had been with him since he had left d'Aurvilies and despite the difference ina ges, they had become close. Close enough that Larkin was more inclined to share a meal with Ambrose than say, go down and further introduce himself at court, when he had already lost at gambling and probably greatly annoyed a neighboring barony, whom he hadn't been on good terms with to start. All in all a quiet meal seated on that glorious feather bed, as opposed to a rigidly formal affair in the dining hall seemed more pleasant, if a bit antisocial.

Ambrose had done quite well and impressively quickly, the valet having acquired several prime slices of pork, a leafy salad, and a nearly full bottle of brandy, all of which Larkin shamelessly enjoyed. The last time any pork had gotten down to Africa had been more than five years prior, good brandy eight, so Larkin and the boy, although by now he was in his twenties, set to with great gusto, and Larkin dismissed him for the night after he cleaned the sheets from thier luxurious little feast.

Feeling pleasantly drunk from the brandy Larkin pulled a book from the shelves which someone had thoughtfully set up in the suite, a treatise on agricultural efficiency. So mentally starved was Larkin that he actually read the whole thing before dropping off into sleep combined equally of exhaustion, liquor and boredom from the not all to fascinating tome.

-------------The next morning-------------

Larkin awoke certain of only two things. Whatever he was sleeping on was very unfamiliar and very comfortable, and that he was unpleasantly hung over. Once those two facts settled into his mind, the latter superceded any curiousity about the former, and he rolled out of bed to single mindedly splash some water on his face. His wits slowly returning Larkin called Ambrose from the glorified closet that he got to sleep in, and with some amused and, from anyone else, offensively improprietary comments was dressed and ready to go out into the baroque court.

That option established, larkin decided to stay in his rooms awhile longer, see what books were there, read any that appealed to him. Eventaully Ambrose brought up a carafe of fruit and some clean water, which larkin ate whilst perusing some dusty geneology. From two hundred years ago. He glanced up from the book to see the sun falling at a sharp angle through the windows, much to Larkin's consternation. He hadn't quite intended to stay in his suite til afternoon. He tore himself from the book and stepped out, traversing the palace quickly to go outside into the gardens. It was a lovely sunny day, and on the carraige ride to the palace Larkin hadn't taken the time to appreciate the careful horticulture around the gorunds.

((OOC: Approachable))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#257 Old 23rd May 2008 at 5:51 AM
(((ooc: slytherin - Le Pacte des loups!! Sorry, just had to comment. Don't have time to reply now, as I'm off to work in a few. But still. Le Pacte des loups!)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#258 Old 23rd May 2008 at 5:55 AM
(((OOC: Yup, that's it allright *grins* I do so love my movie costumes websites. They've been invaluable for finding pictures for this since I like having a visual of what she's wearing And going to WORK now o.0 I'm on my way to bed! Timezones are so weird sometimes!

And I'll probably be gone after this, I might have time to eek out a post in the morning before I take off, but no promises. I hope it's okay if we kind of hit the pause button till I get back. I think we'll be okay with days lasting this long (thankfully) anyway though )))

SixWordStories
Alchemist
#259 Old 24th May 2008 at 9:33 PM
Joséphine and Octavien - Returning to the Palace

In the wake of a lasting silence which settled firmly between her and Octavien, Joséphine could no longer avoid glancing inwardly at the thoughts taking shape in her mind, carrying with them a grain of helplessness. She recalled the hours upon hours of fretful contemplation that had followed “the incident” months before, all the worry and guilt surrounding it, and the eventual release of finally addressing the issue, ending with an unspoken pledge that it would never again return to plague either of them.

Within seconds, all of that was thrown to the four winds, and the forgotten embers glowed red hot once again, staining the air between them with repressed magnetism. Unwanted. Forbidden. But there nonetheless, altering the honest friendship they shared. It was said that men and women could never truly be anything else but either lovers or enemies, something that Joséphine had been known to scoff at, but her own actions seemed to suggest she was wrong, even though she genuinely wished she and Octavien could remain strictly friends. So, then, why was it so difficult?

In her frantic hunt for a good, solid reason that would explain the recent moment they had shared Joséphine's thoughts settled on a single person: César. His indiscretions had fuelled the first incident, and although they had been at the Court for a mere few days, another woman already figured in his company: the Comtesse de Valois. Perhaps, subconsciously, her jealousy and insecurities lured into the arms of another man? It was one way of looking at it, but Joséphine knew it was far from complete: if another man's attentions were what she desired, Octavien was the last person she would have gone to: there was too much to loose for them both, and too strong a friendship, nay, two friendships, to jeopardize. No, the reason it happened was because, regardless of events that might have helped it along, a spark had survived all that time.

Clearly, the Prince was preoccupied with his own thoughts, and did not even seem to register Joséphine's comment about his arm. It wasn't until she inquired about César's whereabouts that he shook away the webs of contemplation and spoke hesitantly, examining his injured arm at the same time.

"I...I think he said something about having a few things to take care of."

Joséphine's lips slowly assumed a round shape, the words “Oh...I see” issuing forth very softly. She did not glance at Octavien, knowing her gaze would betray the void which had suddenly replaced her insides. Despite telling herself there must have been a perfectly innocent explanation, she could think of very few things César had to “take care of” which needed to remain that vague, and in light of her recent conclusion, it was even more difficult to contemplate. Fortunately, Octavien offered her the opportunity to postpone the moment she did by changing the topic:

"Will you allow me to escort you back to your suite? Even though I suspect that if I do not promptly return to the privacy of my own, I shall have another lecture coming, as I do believe it is rather unrefined of me to have the audacity to bleed."

Joséphine even managed a smile at these words, brief and rather sad but understanding.

“Ah yes, princes don't bleed,” she said wryly, “I hope you can find some comfort in the thought that there are still a few of us who remember the man behind the title, a man of flesh and blood. Of course you may accompany me if you wish, although I fear the longer your cut remains untreated the greater your discomfort will be, and perhaps it needs priority. I promise to reach my suite unharmed.”

((ooc: Atropa - I didn't add the part I PMed you about because, well, they're still in ME's room, but I hope this works? If not, lemme know.

Everyone - regarding the mass PM I've sent you, I'm not ignoring you, just waiting to hear from 2 more people.))

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#260 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:16 PM
(((ooc: I'm sorry for taking so long with my replies, both here and in VtM. It's just that I'm working this weekend, and I'm still recovering from changing back from the nightshift and working 7 nights in a row, and so I'm completely wiped 95% of the time, it seems. Will hopefully be a little better tomorrow, and so will try and get a few replies in then.
Ghanima - Yup, works just fine. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#261 Old 25th May 2008 at 11:11 AM
((ooc: It's all right Atropa, take your time

Also it appears we're getting yet another thread for this RP thanks all who replied and I hope to do it justice. I will keep this one until evening (which will be called Wednesday) and we're good to go. There will be some revamping done to various aspects of the game, don't worry it won't make things more difficult, on the contrary ))

Scholar
#262 Old 26th May 2008 at 1:44 AM
(((OOC: Just wanted to let you all know I'm back from my con now , and tired as all heck, I think I got about 7 hours of sleep all weekend. But I'm going to be on TV so YAY. So I completely understand the tiredness Atropa. I'm looking forward to starting the new thread, and I'm sure you'll do just fine Ghanima)))

SixWordStories
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#263 Old 26th May 2008 at 5:04 AM
(((ooc: Will try to have something up today. I get off early (hopefully), and have tomorrow off, so I can afford to take a nap when I get home, and then be back to normal come evening (RT as well as RP time ) Oh, and welcome back!)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#264 Old 26th May 2008 at 1:25 PM
((ooc: Welcome back, Robyn! And thanks, I'll do my best.

Also I decided to postpone Elena's arrival 'till the next morning, there just isn't time to properly RP it now, plus I kind of want it in the new thread.

Oh, and I'm afraid you guys will have to re-post your applications again. Sorry for all the fuss.))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#265 Old 26th May 2008 at 9:41 PM
Default César & Marie-Elisabeth
(((ooc: Ghanima - I'm sorry Elena couldn't make it this RP day. I feel responsible, since I fell completely out of the RP scene this weekend. Still, at the same time, it gives us something to look forward to. )))

César had just told his first lie to Marie-Elisabeth. While he didn't often flat out lie to women - not to Joséphine, not to his mother, and not to his mistresses - but rather preferred to dodge and evade anything that might need dodging and evading, he did sometimes find it a necessity. Or, as was the case now, what he said served his purpose so well that he didn't always reflect on the actual truth in it.

He was a patient man, he'd said.
He was not.
Those who knew him would have testified in a heartbeat that he was probably one of the most impatient people they knew, unable to keep still for very long, always looking for something to do or to keep him entertained. Unless, of course, he was asleep.

However - and this would be what kept his statement to Marie-Elisabeth from being a complete lie - when it came to women, he was quite the enduring pursuer, willing to play the game of hunter and prey for as long as the 'prey' was able to resist him. Provided, of course, that he was given the impression that he was indeed still making progress, and wasn't just being toyed with. It was a fine line, but one that César had learned to recognize. And so, while the 'official' point in his latest statement to the Comtesse might not have been completely truthful, it was still true for the more hidden one; he was not too keen on the idea of spending possibly an hour, an hour and a half, waiting for Marie-Elisabeth to change her clothes, but as far as waiting for her to grant him more than just a kiss on the hand was concerned... Well, on that one, he really would be patient, and allow her to take her time in coming around.

Though that all only occured to him once she had exited the room, and he was left to keep himself amused somehow, all by his lonesome. Then again, a little while spent in boredom in return for a longer while spent in her vivacious company seemed a fair deal, and so he figured it would all be well worth the wait. Plus, he was intrigued to see in what kind of wonderful creation she would re-emerge, while at the same time he was grateful to have had the opportunity to see her so simple and modest, as it had only confirmed to him that she was indeed a genuine beauty, and not one of the many ladies that had pretty dresses and expensive, sparkling jewelry bring out their beauty, or perhaps even shine so bright that it blinded the beholder from the fact that she was not as beautiful as one would think before taking a true closer look. In fact, just like Joséphine, Marie-Elisabeth was the kind of woman that would bring out the beauty of everything that had the good fortune of being worn by her, and not the other way around.

Spending the first few minutes of the wait pacing the room and studying the decor, the paintings and the overall feminine touch, César eventually returned to his seat, from where he went on to survey the room a second time, and a third, all the while drumming his fingertips lightly on the table surface. Then, just for the sake of having something to do, he began sipping his now lukewarm tea, and once the cup was half full, heated up the remaining ounces with some more from the still warm pot. Adding a spoon of sugar, and stirring the golden liquid to make the tiny crystals dissolve, provided for some additional seconds of keeping himself occupied, and he had just started sipping this second helping, when finally he heard Marie-Elisabeth's voice.

"I'm ready to go now", she called out, just as the doors parted and she returned to the lounge area of her suite where he had waited 'oh-so-patiently'. "I’m sorry it was such a long wait. You men don't know how lucky you are that all you have to do is put on a pair of breeches, a shirt, and a jacket."

Having allowed his eyes to wander her newly re-dressed form from top to bottom and back again, finding the red number she now wore delightfully snug in all the right places, albeit still a little too modest in some, César cut short his silent appraisal by giving a slight cough at her words, and his lips curving softly with a faint smile.

"You'd be surprised, Comtesse, at what lengthy procedure it can be for a man to be dressed", he said, thinking of all the hours he himself had spent in the hands of servants over the years. "Though I do suppose that in comparison, it would seem a rather swift one."

Then, eager for their little adventure to commence and without further ado, he offered her his arm, and together they left the suite.

"Perhaps we ought to bring along a guide, as it seems neither of us are particularly familiar with the vicinity", César said as they began making their way through the hallways, towards the Palace entrance. "But I find that it is much more exciting to discover things for oneself, rather than have them pointed out."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#266 Old 26th May 2008 at 9:50 PM
((ooc: don't worry about it. I know well what it feels like to lack time or inspiration to post. And I'd rather give her a well RPed intro than rush it, so I'm quite all right with the delay.))

Scholar
#267 Old 27th May 2008 at 1:12 AM
Default Marie-Elisabeth & César - Wandering outside
Marie-Elisabeth was definitely pleased with the outcome of the morning so far. Strolling along the hallways, now much more busy and full of people than they were in the previous few days, she was certainly in a mood far better than the one she had awoken in. She even managed to smile politely and wave with her free hand as they happened to pass by the old man she had been seated next to at dinner last night.

She was privately considering it a miracle that she was where she was at the moment. She had expected that César would be angry with her once he figured out about the front she put up, and no longer want anything to do with her. She was quite honestly surprised it hadn’t turned out that way. She had thought her reluctance and indecisiveness was going to spell the end of their oh so enthralling little game, and that wasn’t something she wanted. She had, after all, come to Court in search of amusement and diversion. And this was by far one of the most exciting things that had happened to her in quite some time. She had decided to do everything she could to convince herself to put the things holding her back behind her, she only hoped it wouldn’t take very long.

"Perhaps we ought to bring along a guide, as it seems neither of us are particularly familiar with the vicinity", she heard César said as they approached the palace entrance "But I find that it is much more exciting to discover things for oneself, rather than have them pointed out."

“I agree, I think we’ll be just fine on our own” she said, smiling as they walked out the massive front doors into the afternoon sunshine “Besides, haven’t you heard the old saying “Two’s company, three’s a crowd? Having another person along would just spoil all of the fun”. She laughed and squinted slightly at the sudden brightness, pulling the brim of her hat down more to shield her face from the sun. She was hard pressed not to fall back into her usual habits and manner of speaking. She knew there wasn’t really a point to it anymore; he knew it was nothing but hot air. But he just seemed to have the effect on her that she couldn’t entirely keep her mind off of less than proper things.

“And besides” she quickly continued, turning her head back to look at him “How am I supposed to pay attention to the lesson I’m being given if a boring guide is pointing out the clearing where the his Majesty's great uncle fought a duel or some other such nonsense”.

(((OOC: Don't worry about us re-posting apps, that's why cut and paste was invented )))

SixWordStories
Test Subject
#268 Old 27th May 2008 at 1:13 AM
Default Padme Going to the Gardens
Padme slowly awoke from her suite with a smile. She had this feeling that today would be a good day. Rising from her most comfortable bed, Padme began to wonder whta she may have missed yesterday when she was reading. Though she had only been reading for about 5 years, she was learning quickly. A fellow servant had given her a copy of Shakespears First Folio. Apparently it had been Padme's father's. All day yesterday, she had, slowly, read several of his works, her favorite being Twelfth Night. Padme's first language was English, but she did learn to speak French so she could communicate with the other courtiers.

She started to dress shortly after awaking, knowing she had to look her best today because she wasn't going to stay locked up like she did yesterday. But soon after she had to call for a maiden to help with her corset. After she left, Padme slid a small box out from uner a chest of drawers. Slowly opening it, a gold necklace with a medium sized ruby charm sat of a pile of cloth. It was Padme's prized possesion. Something she always hid no matter where she was or who she was with.

Before stepping out of her suite, Padme brushed a bit of dirt off her peach colored dress. That would have been a rumor starter. A courtier having dirt on her dress. The palace was even more elegant inside than outside. Eyeing a starwell going downstairs, her exploring personaity wanted to go down, but she knew thats most likely where the servants slept. Padme didn't want to knock on any doors or open any that might lead to a bad first impression, so she decided to go outside to the gardens.

An older man stood outside, looking like he was taking deep breaths of fresh air. It was a beautiful day outside, no wonder he was out here. Padme approached the man and curtsyed, assuming by the way he dressed he was of higher social status.

"Hello there, your....?"
Top Secret Researcher
#269 Old 27th May 2008 at 1:55 AM
Larkin had slowly wandered the palace's extensive gardens, delighting in the heady scent of flowers and the precise manicured beauty of the lawn and gardens. He had become quite infatuated with the allures of the wild African countryside, but there was little that could compare to a neat garden, flavored by the loving care of the small army of gardeners the court doubtless still employed.

Eventually he had gotten back to the main entrance, and he found himself staring at a tree, one unusually large and with a sharply forked trunk, the only such one he had seen on his stroll. He remembered as a teenager at court that there was a tree in that same place, and he, Ambrose and a servant boy had all, in a fashion most unbefitting Larkin's age and station, occasionally thrown bread crumbs to birds or down unwitting ladies' bodices, depending on the day. They ahd never been caught at it, but staring at the proud old tree brought the fond memery rushing back, the boyish amusement, the free camraderie of stupidity, the occasional biting fear of getting caught and admonished...

"Hello there, your....?" A female voice interrupted his reminiscing and it took a great deal of self control on Larkin's part to not whirl around and offer an explanation for his being out of doors when he should be attending some court function. Inside he was rather amused, he ahd been so caught in reminiscing that he had almost seen himself back then. He must be getting senile in his advancing age. Nice.

He instead turned as though bored and smiled genially at the young woman standing there. He couldn't place her accent specifically, it seemed a bit too melodious to be any noble's, although the far south sometimes had that sort of inflection. Or a second language perhaps... either from English or bad Portugese. So much for finding anything out from speech then, he had been gone too long to place her as anything more specific than either a foreigner, a southerner, or a commoner. None of which were helpful in guessing the woman's name, if she was someone of importance propriety said he should know on sight.

The woman's dress undoubtedly pointed to either great eccentricity or little wealth- a peach colored gown, cut stylishly enough he supposed, but most definitely not the altest fashion- he had seen someone wearing the same basic template the last time he'd been to court, and thirteen years was not enough time for a style to peak in popularity, die and start climbing again. then again wealth, or lack thereof, did little to help him identify her, a southern squire, a foreigner or a comparitively wealthy commoner could wear an outdated gown without noticing. Not that Larkin paid any great attention to the matter.

He decided that the longer he stood there smiling the more of an oaf he would seem, so he answered, in a tone much more cool and humorous than he actually felt, "Lordship. Although really, I do not put overmuch precedence in titles, you may call me Larkin"

Now where had that bit of frippery come from? He really did not put overmuch precedence in titles, true enough, but that was not something one freely admitted to a person of unknown rank chance met on a garden stroll. Probably a beat too late he added, "Mademoiselle" and bowed properly, not a subservient one, more to equals than any other relation, but probably a bit overmuch. Few courtiers that were his superior would have melodious southern accents.

((OOC: I really hope that I was right in assuming she was talking to Larkin?))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#270 Old 27th May 2008 at 12:41 PM
Default Octavien & Joséphine
In spite of his vague reply to her question, or perhaps even because of it, Octavien knew it did little to divert Joséphine's mind from the route it was bound to already be on. She knew her husband, better than César himself seemed to be aware of, and Octavien highly doubted that in answering her the way he had, he had managed to do anything to put her worry to rest. In fact, he had probably managed to do the exact opposite instead, to poke a stick into a hornet's nest, and turn a mild and faint sense of uncertainty into fully blossomed concern and anxiety that her husband was once again off doing... well... exactly what he was doing; pursuing another woman, despite the fact that he and Joséphine had seemed to be quite close and affectionate the night before.

And so, Octavien found that despite his efforts, all he had really managed to do, was to cause the tension in the air between himself and Joséphine to thicken, due to yet another highly awkward situation causing yet another conversation which it seemed both of them wished to leave unfinished, preferrably forgotten altogether.

Thus, it was much to his relief when his change of subject passed smoothly and was accepted, leaving the past tense silence as well as the currently uncomfortable topic of César's whereabouts to fade into oblivion. For the moment and on the surface, at least.

"Ah yes, princes don't bleed", Joséphine said dryly, yet with a smile that Octavien found to be surprisingly compassionate for someone he had assumed knew little about his recent hardships with the King and most of all Duc d'Lorraine.

Then again, she had been in the Blue Salon the other night to witness his somewhat less-than-royal behaviour as well as the rather cool and defiant welcome of many of the courtiers. It wouldn't be far fetched for her, or anyone who had been there, to assume that Octavien had somehow been reproached for it. Even though he hadn't. Everyone still seemed to be too busy judging him to actually give him a few helpful pointers.
But that didn't mean other lectures hadn't been given, such as Duc d'Lorraine's cold "You shall not do her or our King dishonour..." when speaking about what seemed to be Octavien's betrothed, even though it had never been said in so many words. It was, after all, that exact conversation and the Duc's lacking personality as far as tact and understanding were concerned, that had been the cause of Octavien's assumption that there was yet another equally unpleasant conversation to be had soon, regarding the fact that he was so impertinent as to bleed in public.

"I hope you can find some comfort in the thought that there are still a few of us who remember the man behind the title", Joséphine continued, "...a man of flesh and blood. Of course you may accompany me if you wish, although I fear the longer your cut remains untreated the greater your discomfort will be, and perhaps it needs priority. I promise to reach my suite unharmed."

At first, Octavien didn't really register her last words, his attention having been caught by the first ones instead. 'A few of us', she'd said. He couldn't help but to wonder how many 'a few' were. On the top of his head, he could only think of her and César, quite possibly Bella, who had seemed so very down to earth and... human, compared to other unsympathetic, stuck up gits who should not be named. And, of course, Gilles and Isabella. But one of them, Joséphine had never had the chance to meet and thus could not know where she stood on the matter, and the opinion of the other sadly did not matter to the court.
So, three people then.
'Isn't that comforting?' Octavien thought bitterly to himself, but regretted his sarcasm almost immediately. He wasn't a haughty person, that would frown at and dismiss the support of a few, just because they were just that, a few, and as such may not have that much of an impact in improving his situation. On the contrary, he really was grateful to have them around him, and valued their company as well as their opinions. To him, they were much like rare gems among... well, frankly, he couldn't think of a more fitting description for what he currently thought of the rest of the court, than 'lumps of coal'. Despite their dazzling exterior.
And he would not win their approval by conforming to their rigid standards and become just as blasé as they were. He refused. Though that did not mean he would not carry himself with pride and refinement, for he had been raised to be every bit a gentleman and a noble, even though he had at that point still been untitled. While he may not know everything there was to know about what was expected of a Prince, he was far from a brute, and had over the past few months in court shown a dignity that had given the other courtiers a run for their money. But, there was one thing in maintaining it, or even increasing it (as seemed to be expected of him, now that he had risen to the position of Prince); he would never leave passion, and compassion, behind. He would not let the arrogance eat away at his heart, and have him eventually thinking only of himself.

Thus, he turned to Joséphine with a faint smile, her full statement having seeped into his consciousness somewhere along this winding trail of thoughts

"I may not yet have earned approval as Prince", he said, "but nothing will stop me from being a gentleman. I do indeed wish to see you safely to your suite, or wherever else you may intend to go. But I will not insist, if you would rather go alone."

He was, after all, well aware of how concern for someone else and keeping them from their own business, would often mask an excuse to part with them, so that one could get back to doing what one could not while still in their company.

(((ooc: Okay, the last sentence is kind of messy, and I can only hope it makes sense. *lol*)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#271 Old 27th May 2008 at 3:31 PM
(((OOC: Guys, I'm not really sure where Funheart00 is these days and I've tried to PM her. Bella just seems to be rather stuck in the gardens at the moment)))

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#272 Old 27th May 2008 at 9:35 PM
Default César & Marie-Elisabeth - going riding (yes, on actual horses)
Much to his satisfaction, César found that Marie-Elisabeth agreed with his suggestion, rejecting the idea of bringing along a guide of some sort, and along with it, his subtle hint that perhaps she want someone to act as a chaperone. She even went as far as to indicate that not only was it not needed, but simply not wanted at all. That could only mean that while she had been apprahensive about accepting the small but rather straightforward (albeit discreetly so) advances he had made, she held no aversion to the idea of welcoming any further attempts. Not necessarily determined to fully respond to them all the way, but at least accepting them and willing to test her limits. A very pleasant idea indeed, even though he intended to take things slow, and allow her to adjust, and set the pace herself; to have her give the signal of when she was ready. Or at least of when she thought she was.

Furthermore, the lack of a guide opened up for the possibility of the two of them getting lost and having to spend hours together, maybe even the night, which in turn would give César the opportunity to... help keep the young lady warm somehow, during the dark hours of nocturnal chill and dampness.
Well, in all honesty, it wasn't likely to happen, since the area around the Palace was bound to be easily navigated with it's plenitude of landmarks - manmade and otherwise - but he could still toy with the idea, and enjoy the mental images it spurred in his mind, right?

"Besides", Marie-Elisabeth continued just as the two of them stepped out into the bright sunlight on the equally bright and splendorous stone steps outside the Palace entrance, "haven't you heard the old saying "Two's company, three's a crowd? Having another person along would just spoil all of the fun."

Indeed. When with the pretty little Comtesse, three was most definately a crowd. Especially, César mused to himself, when the third party happened to be his wife, as had been the case the other night in the Blue Salon. What a minor disaster that had been. And it was all the more reason to try and keep things with the Comtesse far more secret than his usual affairs, as both ladies now moved within the same household, and would most likely talk to the same people. Joséphine seemed somewhat suspicious already, and César really didn't wish for her to hear how he had been seen with the young and pretty, not to mention widowed Comtesse de Valois on several occasions. Partly because it would fuel her suspicion, and partly because it would be humiliating for her, to have someone point out to her that her husband, according to them, seemed to prefer the company of a woman not his wife.

Yes, he would have to be careful indeed, and could not afford too many of these official encounters with Marie-Elisabeth. He would even be extra attentive to Joséphine and her needs. And not only because he wanted to keep her from getting suspicious, but also because he honestly did want to be. There was a good chance that she was pregnant, and if she was, she would be more sensistive than usual, and thus need to know now more than ever how much he really did love her.

"And besides", Marie-Elisabeth continued once more as they began making their way down the stone steps, towards the stables. "How am I supposed to pay attention to the lesson I’m being given if a boring guide is pointing out the clearing where his Majesty's great uncle fought a duel or some other such nonsense."

At that, César couldn't resist a soft chuckle, and he shot her an amused glance. Did he detect a hint of that suggestive way with words returning to her way of expressing herself, despite the embarrasment it had caused her back in her suite a little while ago? Or was he simply reading too much into her statement? It was, after all, difficult for a man with a mind like César's, to climb out of the gutter when it had already been so gently ushered down there by her very words in the first place.

So, was she, or wasn't she? Such a tough call...
Hmm... Perhaps it was best to try and play it safe? Just in case, and just until further proof had been provided.

"A good point", he nodded with a slight smile. "A very good point, for I shall indeed require all of your attention."

Okay, so that statement wasn't playing it completely safe, but still, it was close enough, and close enough would do just fine, since considering their previous conversations, she was well aware of the way his mind worked when it came to the subject of riding. She was partly responsible for it, after all.

A few minutes later, they reached the Palace stables, and César immediately motioned for one of the stableboys, telling him that he and the Comtesse de Valois wished to go riding, and that they would thus require horses.

"See to it that we are brought a well-behaved and gentle gelding for the lady", he said, and then shot Marie-Elisbeth another amused and slightly self-ironic glance when delivering the request for his own beast; "... and a valiant steed for myself."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Alchemist
#273 Old 27th May 2008 at 10:26 PM
((ooc: Phew, I made it! It's not my best, but I got what I wanted to say in I hope this works?

Everyone: a reminder, tomorrow at around noon (European time) Evening will be called as well as the new thread will be posted, so if you want to wrap anything up here now's the time to do so.))

Joséphine and Octavien - The Palace

There was a glimmer of withheld surprise present briefly in Octavian's azure eyes following Joséphine's comment concerning which public displays of humanity, and by association, weakness, were permissible to a Prince, prolonging his hesitation to speak an instant longer. When he did speak, the words were rueful, laced with bitterness. It occurred to Joséphine then that his newfound notoriety meant not only a heavy amount of pressure weighing down on his shoulders but also widened his perspective so much that the details began to wane: after all, what man could pinpoint adversaries and supporters in a Palace full of individuals all forced into forming a quick opinion of them?

Beginnings were always a delicate time. Little did Octavien know that he had more than a silent supporter in her, and César, and that his recent moment of bravura had been so elaborately orchestrated by them to sway those who had previously sneered his way into seeing at least one of his qualities.

The Palace doors were within view by the time Octavien shattered the silence settled between them, a flurry of courtiers passing in and out of them: some returning with regard to the approaching dusk, others wishing to take advantage of the milder temperature and evening's shadows.

"I may not yet have earned approval as Prince", he said, "but nothing will stop me from being a gentleman. I do indeed wish to see you safely to your suite, or wherever else you may intend to go. But I will not insist, if you would rather go alone."

Yes, it truly did bother him, Joséphine concluded. Perhaps he did not even realize yet how much he wished to prove himself worthy. Deciding she was treading dangerously close to another one of her contemplative moods, the Marquise instead nodded pointedly in Octavien's direction, for the first time daring to tighten her grip on his arm:

“I would not be a lady if I refused such a gallant offer.” she said as they both tread the Palace threshold, careful not to collide with the rest of the nobles revolving around the vast Great Hall. They were about to begin their ascent along the magnificent marble staircase, when Joséphine caught a glimpse of golden curls with the corner of her eye, instinctively turning her head in their direction. There she remained, rooted to the spot on the third step, her eyes burning a straight line across the hall: she could just spot the turned backs of Comtesse Marie-Elisabeth de Valois and César, together, disappearing among the throng waiting to pass through the opened doors. Before she knew it, they melted away into the distance, but Joséphine remained still as a statue, unblinking, apparently having forgotten Octavien stood at her side. When she spoke, her eyes lingered on the very spot César and Marie-Elisabeth had treaded moments ago.

“You do not have to say anything” she told him very slowly, eerily devoid of emotion. “I know why you couldn't have told me.”

Scholar
#274 Old 27th May 2008 at 10:58 PM
(((OOC: *giggles* Actual horses, yeah, that's it.......way to get my mind back into the gutter.

Okay, I can't help it. Every time i hear "valient steed" I picture donkey from shrek when he got turned into a horse. Added to that is that fact that his "well behaved" comment makes me think of a button my friend has that says "well behaved women rarely make history" and I'm gone. Scuse me whilst I go die of laughter now *falls off chair snickering* Will edit with post after I have dinner, I swear)))

SixWordStories
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#275 Old 27th May 2008 at 11:08 PM
(((ooc: I considered having him ask for a "fiery steed", but that just makes me think of the Bonnie Tyler song 'Hero', which, incidently, is played in 'Shrek'! )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~

Page 11 of 12