Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#26 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:03 AM
I don't think they would have to build more than one door and one window for each of the 5 single radius shapes(if even that)...modders could remesh those for variety . They might not even need to change the animations that way. Other objects like bookshelves and whatnot could stay as they are and only be used on flat walls...unless modded.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:07 AM
As far as I know the only place for circular walls is CC. Volvenom posted about them on the The Lot Review review blog a few days ago: http://wereviewlots.blogspot.com/20...-rebujito5.html

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Top Secret Researcher
#28 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:29 AM
I don't see how an option to build with curved walls would disenfranchise people who play on sub-prime hardware.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:32 AM
I am amazed that people care so much about one feature. There are so many other things we need instead...like a bug free game? I highly doubt EA is going to put in curved walls. If you really want them, why don't you go into Milkshape and make curved walls that you can place to snap together. See if they impact your game performance and then report back here. Make sure you test them will all the store content and CC that you normally use. I am sure you can prove some of us wrong.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:52 AM
We all want a bug free game - we've all made that clear, but a bug free game is less likely to happen than curved walls. An a curved object is very much different compared to an actually curved wall.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#31 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by levini
So basically, if one doesnt have a high powered computer that can run every EP without problem along with have 2gb of CC , they can just sit and be stuck playing the base game or minimal EPs because they just dont deserve to do anything more than that? that sounds like what some are saying to me. To be honest, Curved walls serve very little use in a lot of cases, which is why I do not believe EA didn't add them in. They are basically eye candy and would cause them to have to completely rebuild every single object to be able to fit this new wall which would serve no purpose in most cases of Games, not to mention have to hear numerous complaints of This breaking CC and the Lagging and crap performance on lower end machines (which I doubt EA wants. AFAIK EA would want a product that everyone can use, so they can attract more money and more customers).

I do not have the Ultimate gaming PC of my dreams that can run all three Sims games with all Ep's and 2gb of CC ( and To be honest I dont really need it, Im happy and fine with my laptop. It does all I need, and I can hang out wherever I want to. It's a bit slow, but that is because I keep a lot of Junk on it and I need to clean it) Yet I still have an ability to Run all EP's with a few Mods and some Patterns ( I dont usually run with all EP's, I use the AGS and untick Ep's I dont need depending on the game. And believe it or not I have fine performance with my games. A bit of lag, but Fine nonetheless)

That is a radical interpretation of the text. But you have to realize that EA isn't designing these games for the lowest supported specs AND knowing this make some choices you can't get mad at EA or anyone else because your computer can't handle all the EPs/SPs. I don't use some ultimate gaming PC either and when I realized my computer was starting to slow because of it all I had to make cuts I got rid of HELS and lots of non-sim stuff. We are not saying your stuck we're telling you to accept your limitations and problem solve.

Also It wouldn't be eye candy making realistic building options isn't an eye candy thing. Half of the simmers I know don't play with SIMS they build. So wanting curved walls is no different than wanting different sims sliders! Plus I didn't see anyone complaining when people started asking for curved pools. I swear I didn't see anyone complain about high polys when it was that on the table.

Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I am amazed that people care so much about one feature. There are so many other things we need instead...like a bug free game? I highly doubt EA is going to put in curved walls. If you really want them, why don't you go into Milkshape and make curved walls that you can place to snap together. See if they impact your game performance and then report back here. Make sure you test them will all the store content and CC that you normally use. I am sure you can prove some of us wrong.

^ I didn't see anybody saying this sort of thing when we wanted half walls. Why was it okay to hope for half a wall but not a curved wall?
Instructor
#32 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:06 AM
I see your point rian90 but what I don't under stand is how this is accurate when curved pools haven't caused this issue. Is there a difference and how so?

Edit: Saying I must be kidding about half walls was dismissive and my point was wanting to have something to improve building realism isn't wrong even though it might not be easy and there may be issues. So I wasn't trying to compare poly count I completely understood that half a wall would have less poly than a standard wall.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:13 AM
There are quite a few objects in the game that would make the game lag more than curved walls. Why? Because their poly count would exceed that of the curved wall. If polygon count was in issue, Bridge port wouldn't exist. Don't post random facts without back checking everything in the game. It's been said before - curved walls exist in the game and do nothing to it whatsoever. We just can't use them above ground.

Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:16 AM
Actually...I really need to learn to stop posting here.
Instructor
#35 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rian90
Matrix, you really need to do some research yourself. Every item in the game adds to load. The point is what you want to add to the load. A curved lampshade or curved walls? How many curved lampshades would you add to a lot? How many curved walls?

I never said they could not do it..just whether it would be worth it? At least I am spouting facts, not just wishful thinking.....

That is a bit unfair to matrix on the wishful thinking thing but You're right about one thing. IT IS about what a person wants to add to the load. What matrix and I are trying to point out is that if you don't want the curved wall you don't use them but you not using them is no reason for them not to be a game option. which you said you were not against right?

I hope you understand I'm not attacking anyone.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:41 AM Last edited by PoisonFrog : 27th Apr 2012 at 4:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
As far as I know the only place for circular walls is CC. Volvenom posted about them on the The Lot Review review blog a few days ago: http://wereviewlots.blogspot.com/20...-rebujito5.html

Have you worked with these Riptide651? I downloaded the set from the originating site, but it's in Spanish and Google translate is inefficient due to frames in the pages html.

I put the packages in my mods folder, but am unsure how to locate the items ingame. Also, it came with both packages and Sims3packs...wondering if they are duplicates or I need to install both?

Looks very promising
I'll keep translating paragraphs and see if I can learn more...

Edit:
Doh!!! Nevermind, I figured it out. Use packages OR Sims3packs & they are located in the columns section of the build panel.

Edit 2:
The shapes are limited and they have no routing, being mesh objects...

I don't see why they couldn't be meshed to a variety of shapes that would clip to existing flooring so you could make usable terraces and home sections though, and be able to use that existing flooring to add a working door...
Of course, it would need recolors to match EA standard flooring.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Field Researcher
#37 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 5:08 AM
For Sims 2 Windkeeper made curved 1x and 2x windows that if you put on diagonal walls gave the appearance of curved walls. I really like the look and would love something like that for Sims 3, if not actual curved walls.

BTW, I think floor tiles would act the same with curved walls as they do with curved pools.
Theorist
#38 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 5:19 AM
I thought there's already a curved wall in TS2? Or maybe I dreamed it? If it worked just fine in TS2 I don't see why it would be a problem in TS3.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 5:40 AM
That's the thing. We didn't have curved walls for Sims 2. Many were hoping that we'd get that when Sims 3 was about to come out.
Theorist
#40 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 6:13 AM
I could've sworn it came with one of the later EPs in TS2. While I never used the feature I seem to remember a producer waklthrough showing that.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 6:19 AM
Pool, yes. Walls no.

And I still don't know why people argues against them here, with the primary reason being polygons, knowing full well circular walls already exist in the game, without a problem.

Theorist
#42 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 6:25 AM Last edited by treeag : 27th Apr 2012 at 6:42 AM.
Really? This is really creepy because I can see the image clearly in my head. The room being pinkish/purplish when they demonstrated the circular/curved wall, and they were talking about how you can't put paintings on those walls And people in the forum was like "Finally!"

Maybe I slipped through another dimension.
Scholar
#43 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 6:26 AM
You know, if you can have curved walls for pools...the side of a pool is essentially the wall of a (water-filled) basement. I don't think it would have been unreasonably more difficult for EA to enable them for full walls.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 6:31 AM Last edited by Riptide651 : 27th Apr 2012 at 6:59 AM.
@PoisonFrog: I haven't but Volvenom has, I would ask her. I have downloaded them but I haven't had the time to play with them. I don't believe there is an objects with routing capabilities, but they make for interesting interior walls if you use them right.

Edit: Actually an extremely versatile set would be a set of curve, both sides cast-able or see-through at a variety of angles so that you could fit them into any shape you want, and on top of that add a flooring type of object that's curved with routing to match the set.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
#45 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 7:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by treeag
Really? This is really creepy because I can see the image clearly in my head. The room being pinkish/purplish when they demonstrated the circular/curved wall, and they were talking about how you can't put paintings on those walls And people in the forum was like "Finally!"

Maybe I slipped through another dimension.

Numenor also made a window set and some of them were curved to give the illusion of curved walls. Maybe you were thinking about those?
Mad Poster
#46 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 9:02 AM
(I'd like to add to the argument over computers here that my simming computer that handles 80 GB of CC (roughly 101,000 files) only has 3 GB of RAM and was built in 2006 for video editing. And it does just fine - it chomps everything up on highest for both games.)

I've read that curved non-dummy walls are possible, but it just about breaks the game's source code.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Mad Poster
#47 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 2:08 PM
If I had curved walls, the first thing I would make are one-roomed huts for my Oooga Booga Island. Of course, I'd have to throw in at least one straight wall between curves for the door.
Scholar
Original Poster
#48 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:21 PM
If EA gave us curved/circular walls I would use them for bay windows or brkfst nooks. The main reason I want them is because I like to build wierd shaped modern houses. The closest that I/we can get right now are 45 degree walls.
I doubt if we will get them for TS3. Maybe for TS4, if there will be a S4. I hope so.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 3:53 PM
See, there are quite a few things to do with curves.

It's kind of strange plopping a round roof on an octagon.

dodgy builder
#50 Old 27th Apr 2012 at 4:21 PM
We have the age old arguement between builders and players. For many builders, only being able to build square and diagonal is a major disadvantage. Lots of modern houses use curves as well, what about those lovely curves on Art Deco houses? You have all seen them.
Page 2 of 3