Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 4:03 PM
Default Sim City?
I see that Origin are offering Sim City: Complete Edition for £12.49. I am a devoted Sims 2 player, and I have never played Sim City. I have heard that it is possible to import a constructed landscape from SimCity into Sims 2. Does anyone think that will add fun to the game? Should I hand over my £12.49, or let it pass?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 4:08 PM Last edited by gummilutt : 14th Mar 2017 at 4:43 PM. Reason: typo
I would let it pass and buy it during Steams summer sale. 12.49 is not a sale to me, unless you really want all games. I paid 2,49 euro for my copy of SimCity4 during summer sale 2015, and it was on sale 2016 too. As far as I know SimCity4 is the one you need for TS2, not sure if the others in the complete edition are any use for TS2. Might be fun games on their own, but I wouldn't buy a complete edition before trying the game and seeing if I would enjoy it

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 4:28 PM
Thanks - I'll let it pass. Must get on with my game now.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 4:35 PM
I got mine, base game + Rush Hour, on e-bay last month, for under $7, including shipping.

Sim City 4 small terrains are the only terrains that can be created and imported into Sims 2. Only the central portion, about 36 squares in all directions, can be viewed with the normal camera. The terrain elevation features (to make a water feature, use the valley tool), roads (not streets, bridges, or highways), and changes to terrain from two of the disasters, the meteor and the volcano, will transfer directly to SC4 and getting the scale right can be tricky. It is gobs of fun making your own terrain, though, and playing SC4 itself is absorbing. The learning curve is high, though. At least, I haven't been able to make a city work yet.

Shop around. You can get a better deal than that, especially if all you're interested in is building terrains for Sims 2. As far as I can tell, none of the EP features will translate into S2 terrain. (I haven't actually installed Rush Hour, just the base game.)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#5 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 7:57 PM
Yes, it’s better to get SC4 separately. If you’re interested in gameplay, SC4 is definitely good, I didn’t really like SC Societies, and didn’t play SC 2013, but I heard it failed. If you want a good city builder newer than SC4, I’d recommend Cities: Skylines, I really like that one.

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 8:44 PM
Sim City 4 is a great game, and useful if you play Sims 2, but I'd get it on sale. I'd get Rush Hour as well, because it's a terrific expansion, and essential if you want to mod the game.

Sim City 2013? It's of no use to Sims 2, and I'd get Cities Skylines instead if we're talking city builders.
Alchemist
#7 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 1:56 AM
Like others told, SimCity4 is needed to make Sims2 neighborhood templates. if other versions of SimCity are/were compatible, I think Maxis/EA would have announced that somewhere.

I have had SimCity4 Deluxe Edition for a number of years now.

played several older versions of Sim City before SimCity4. 3000 I think was one of those versions.

from my understanding, Sims3 & Sims4 enable template making within game.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
from my understanding, Sims3 & Sims4 enable template making within game.

Nope.
To make sims 3 world, you need CAW (create-a-world) program, and only a beta version has ever been published.
Nothing yet for sims 4.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 3:47 AM
I bought Sim City 4 in a sale. I played it once, got bored and went back to Sims 2.
Inventor
#11 Old 15th Mar 2017 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The learning curve is high, though. At least, I haven't been able to make a city work yet.

I played SimCity 4 in the years after it first came out and you're right. It's not thát easy. I remember that I could let a city thrive but since you have to pay attention to many things at the same time it can be tricky.
Did like the game very much.