Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2016 at 5:44 PM
How do I family-link hair colours?
Not sure if "family-link" is the exact right term.

Basically... imagine you're in CAS or body shop and your sim's hair is those maxis pigtails in brunette. If you switch her hair colour to blonde, she should appear wearing the same pigtails in blonde.

The hair recolours I'm working on don't do that. They are in the correct colour bins, with the correct eyebrows, etc. But the blonde doesn't seem to know it's the same hairstyle as the brunette (or any of the colours for that matter.) So if you're creating a sim with the blonde hairstyle and you want to see what she looks like as a brunette, when you press the button for brown hair your sim will get a random brown maxis hair instead, and you'd need to scroll and manually find the brown version of the same style you had before.

I hope my explanation makes sense How can I fix this? FWIW I have body shop, wardrobe wrangler, and simPE.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 8:11 PM
Good question. I'm not sure if it's the "family" bin you need to be worried about. In my experience, that's used for keeping the same hairstyle as the Sim ages (like if they're wearing pigtails as a kid, when they age up to a teen, they'll still be wearing the same pigtails because the "family" value is the same in SimPE; of course, this only works if the hairstyle exists for the age groups in question).

The Maxis hairs can be switched between colours and still keep the same style, right? So there must be a way to do it. I'm wondering if it's the "creator" string in the Property Set in SimPE (rather than the "family" string, which, as I said before, keeps the same hairstyle as the Sim ages). I know if you change all the values there to zeroes, the CC star will disappear. But I'm not sure if that will do anything about the changing styles.

I'm not sure if I've had this problem with custom hair (it's been so long since I did some). How did you bin your hair? I'd recommend using CatOfEvilGenius's Hair Binner because it does most of the work for you in a couple of simple steps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 10:32 AM
Thanks for the answer!

I have been using the method outlined in this tutorial by HystericalParoxysm to bin my hair with SimPE.

CatOfEvilGenius's binner looks really simple and helpful! I'll definitely give that a shot instead. (Although I might also try manually editing the "creator" string in SimPE on a backup file, just out of curiosity )
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 11:50 AM
Just wanted to say - CatOfEvilGenius's binner works like a charm, I am no longer having this problem! Thank you