Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:08 PM
Help Uploading Sims 2 Houses With Custom Content
I have been playing the sims 2 for many years and would like to start uploading my own houses I build on my game.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start.

I use lots of custom content when building my houses, so my real question is, how do I upload sims 2 houses made with custom content? Is it different than simply uploading a non cc house?

If it is different than a non cc house, could someone walk me through the process or link me to a thread? I have been looking for a long time now and can't find anything. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:39 PM
No different, except for the CC.
Meaning, you can pack the house as usual, but you have to make sure all the CC and needed meshes are added, and that you don't add things people don't want in a house. It can be a good idea to check the house with Clean Installer.

I usually move out all non-essential CC, install the newly packed house, and have a look ingame. Any missing items, flashing blue furniture, or a few hundred recolors of a chair not used in the house? Means I'll have to go looking, and clean out the CC not used in the house, and add whatever wasn't packed with the house in a separate folder. Alternatively, you can remove or replace the flashing blue items, delete any unused recolors in Clean Installer.

Also, be aware that not all creators like for their items to be shipped with houses, at least not without asking first. That's one of the reasons a lot of people prefer uploading houses with minimal CC. Some sites will also have a limit on whether you can upload pay/donation content with the house (I think MTS has that rule).

Some furniture will pick up any and all recolors, even if you only use one color. Mailboxes and trash cans are notorious for this, and are in addition very tedious to clean up, so please remove any mailbox/trashcan recolors you have before packing the lot. It makes the cleanup so much easier.

In Clean Installer, colored lines will tell you if there are duplicate items (pink, I think), or hacks/mods that are packed with the house (red).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:46 PM
You should read the Creator Guidelines if you intend to upload here. There's a lot of help on those pages about what to do. One word of warning, if you intend to upload lots here you must make sure those lots have never been lived in and, for preference, are built in an otherwise empty neighbourhood. I have a building neighbourhood with no sims at all for this purpose.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 8:48 PM
Go to the top of your screen. Find the Create drop-down menu. Select Creator Forums/Creator Guidelines. The process is explained and laid out for you there, including the rules about inclusion of custom content.

The main thing is to know who made it, to follow that creator's terms of use, and to explain clearly what is and isn't required for the download to function properly. If you've used Mootilda's Rotatable Driveways and changed the portals, so that the garage is at the rear of the lot facing a side street, then you need to let the potential downloader know how that will work if they don't use the CC.

Also, package your lot with Clean Installer so you can easily exclude any CC not essential to the house. It's common for recolors not used in the house to hitch a ride on a custom mesh, and that will bloat your file size and potentially annoy a user.

As with CC free lots, you're welcome to get feedback in the Sims 2 Creator Feedback forum. The people who hang out there tend to have experience in the kinds of downloads they're commenting on, and can help you sort out any confusion that remains after you read the guidelines, as well as passing on hints as to what is most likely to get it through the moderation queue.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 10:13 PM
Actually, it's just easier to click the link created when you type Creator Guidelines - it's an automatic thing with the site.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 11:11 PM
What exactly do you mean by 'lots of content'? Please do not upload a house with 150 links, nobody wants a 20MB house. So look carefully at the content and make sure what you use is a actually needed.

1)Every piece of content you use must say who created it, have a link going directly to it and must be free to share. That means a lot of checking and extra work for you. The creator of that content must say "Feel free to upload in lots' or has no TOU at all.
2) If the site is dead please do not link to their dead site as that can be a source of malware and virus, simply say the site is dead.
3) Any creator whose TOU forbids uploading in lots you will need to provide the link to the content while saying this is not included but is needed.
4) You need to check that all the content that you think is packaged really is packaged. Some items simply don't package.
5) Check the packaged items should really all be there. For example many mail box recolours will try and package with your lot, all of those not used need to be removed before you upload.
6) Check for Master and slave sets. If any item is part of a larger slaved set you will need clear instructions to tell the downloaders to go get the master since without that the content will flash blue.

7)Once you are through the upload wizard to the part where you can type in your description go down and check your links to be sure the wizard has not done many repeats, manually remove those.

Doing all the above will help us a lot when your lot goes through moderation.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 17th Mar 2017 at 11:20 PM
A good way to check and see all CC got packaged and if there are master/slave stuff you missed is to make a fresh copy of user files and place the lot there (no other CC!) and see if it looks like it should.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.