Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:04 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Family Bin question
I did google this but I didn't find anything related to my search.

What I would like to be able to do is this: Take one family I have in the family bin and not allow them to visit anyone in the neighborhood meaning no one would bring any member of that family home as a friend and no one would be able to interact with them. Is there a way to do this?

My mini city: Rygel City
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:08 PM
Sure, place them on a tiny lot somewhere, toss a simlogical prisoner tag into each one's inventory- basically, they are now in jail and won't be seen. If they do 'break out' they will vanish in a blue puff.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:12 PM
In order for this to work, though, you need another piece of custom content called the Visitor Controller. Without the VC to recognize the prisoner tag, they wander around the neighborhood at will.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:23 PM
You can leave them in the bin but you will need to remove the "initialize" token or something to that effect. Its one of the hidden tokens if I remember right.

When you make a new family or just 1 sim as long as you never place that sim on a lot they will never be seen in the hood because they have not been initialize yet.

None of the sims in my Beginning Hoods will wonder around the hood because of this, they are not initialize yet.

This must be done before you see them in the hood or other sims will already have them listed.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:29 PM
I don't need the VC to make the prisoner tag work. The tag itself bans them. I use it all the time for hospital patients and jailed sims. In another hood I did it to passing townies. It sounds more like your prison tag isn't working Peni.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:39 PM
Once I have given them what they need, would I be able to move them back to the family bin or would they have to remain on the small lot?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 10:56 PM
You can do either. You could also make them into a townie.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 11:26 PM
This is my first time using hacks in my game so thanks for all the helpful replies. This family was my original Jones family until my game decided to close without warning while saving and that was the first time it ever happened to me. So, I gave them new first names, new last name and household name, the employed to unemployed which was all done properly with the SimPE and in the family bin they went and that's where they'll go when they get what they need. Never to be played with again since I started the whole Jones family over again in the CAS.

Again thanks for the replies.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 11:40 PM
It says in the Prison System documentation that you need the Visitor Controller.

If you don't have any kids or teens, and the adults don't have jobs, they'll stay in the family bin forever, no hacks necessary.

There probably isn't anything wrong with that family, though. Crashing while saving can mess things up, but odds are good you'd never notice the difference.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 11:51 PM
Maybe they mean in the hood, but I've never set anything on it for the sims with prison tags. Obviously, my sieve link memory forgot that detail.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 12:18 AM
You don't have to set anything. The VC recognizes the prison tag as meaning the sim can't be a walkby.
As many mods as we all have, it's amazing we remember any details about any of them!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 12:30 AM
The family does have 2 teens and 2 kids as they are the sims that came with the freezer bunny swimwear. I think will hold off for a while and see how my game goes and if I decide use them, they ready and waiting to go into the downloads folder.

One final quick question: I have another family, the Weasleys, in the family bin because some years go their lawn flashed blue while I was going through terrain paint. Should there be any problems with them?

Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 7th Mar 2019 at 12:35 AM
Flashing blue terrain just means that you don't have a terrain paint that was used on the lot in question. It has nothing to do with the family so, no, there shouldn't be any problem with them.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Flashing blue terrain just means that you don't have a terrain paint that was used on the lot in question. It has nothing to do with the family so, no, there shouldn't be any problem with them.

Thanks.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 9:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
You don't have to set anything. The VC recognizes the prison tag as meaning the sim can't be a walkby.
As many mods as we all have, it's amazing we remember any details about any of them!

I still don't get it; so I need a VC on every lot (residential and community)..but I don't need to SET anything to keep the "prisoners" from showing up? I usually DO put it on residential lots, set it for what I want (usually just banning wolves & skunks), but then I delete it; doesn't it keep working if it's been set but then deleted?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I still don't get it; so I need a VC on every lot (residential and community)..but I don't need to SET anything to keep the "prisoners" from showing up? I usually DO put it on residential lots, set it for what I want (usually just banning wolves & skunks), but then I delete it; doesn't it keep working if it's been set but then deleted?

@grammapat

The Visitor Controller does not need to placed on a lot in order to work. Also you only need to configure it if you want it to work differently than its default settings.

Note: you might like MidgeTheTree's update of the Visitor Controller, basically she changed some of the defaults. Look on this tumblr page: http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/tagged/downloads

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 10:29 PM
Just make sure it's in your game somewhere @grammapat since I had forgotten it was even needed. My guess is even on one lot will do or maybe just in your download folder.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 10:39 PM
Thanks peoples. But how odd that it only needs to be in my Downloads to do anything!

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 5:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Thanks peoples. But how odd that it only needs to be in my Downloads to do anything!

I am not an expert on this sort of thing, but I think the Visitor Controller is a Global Mod and not an Object Mod even though it has an Object that you use to change the Settings.

If it is a Global Mod, like I think it is that would be why you don't need to place it, Global Mods work everywhere all of the time.

Object Mods work differently, they work Locally on the Lot that they are placed and only work when one clicks on them or chooses a particular function.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Or if I did not explain it properly. heh.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 6:06 AM
I think it is both. Some things seem to be set globally while others are on a lot by lot bases. Like the force into everyday wear use to happen (beforeMidge fixed it) on every lot regardless.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 9:33 AM
Yes, it does seem to me to work a lot like ACR. Both mods have a global effect, just by being in Downloads, without any "settings". But that effect is limited (still not clear what this means for VC functionality). It does lots of things that require choosing settings. In the case of ACR, some of those settings are global, some are lot-specific, and some are sim-specific.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
It says in the Prison System documentation that you need the Visitor Controller.

You don't need the VC. The VC has just been made to work with the prisoner tag.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 10:57 AM
Beginning to sound like this needs testing.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 6:14 PM
I did test it. I've tried six ways from Sunday to keep the Recruits of Retropleasantspot in their barracks when I'm not playing them, using the Prison system without the VC, and they swarm all over the neighborhood, both as walkbys and as community lot visitors. Only adding the VC keeps them where they belong while in basic training.

Undead Molten Llama
#25 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 6:20 PM
Yes, you need the VC. Banning prisoner-tagged Sims is one of its default global settings, same as default-banning Crumplebottom, and you don't need to place the controller for it to do it. Midge's updated version didn't tamper with the prisoner tag banning because my tagged Sims are still corralled in my neighborhoods.

Thing is, I always forget that the VC is needed when I recommend that people use the prisoner tags. Which is a "my bad" on my part.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.