Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 1:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Care and Feedng Question
The one Vampire I have in game is driving me nuts. She's just to stupid to stay in her coffin and to get her pale butt into the house after work. I've left the lot without saving three times, and phoned the reaper twice. I do use the MaxMotives cheate, but she usually waits until I'm dealing with another sim to go to dust.

So any advice you can give will be appreciated.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 2:31 PM
I've never played a vampire for any length of time, but the problem of getting from the car pool to the house after work is relatively simple: buy her a car and place it in an attached garage. She's safe as long as she's in the car, and if you place the car inside the garage that's where it will return; so at no time during the work-to-home process is she in danger.

You won't need maxmotives if you can get your resource management down, so if other sims in the household are distracting you, I suggest you move her into her own place and play her without any distractions until you've worked out how best to deal with her aberrant needs. Once you have your strategies worked out, you can move her back in, or move other people in with her one at a time if you need to build your skill slowly; and remember that the pause button is your friend.

I'm sure there are helpful mods out there, too, but I always find it's best to master the vanilla coding first. Then if you find that the necessary tactics are too tedious or eat into your fun too much, you'll know exactly what you need to mod to maximize your enjoyment of the game.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#3 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 4:07 PM
There really aren't any stupid sims, only sims not coded properly and they will follow the messy coding of vampire. I've had only a few vampires but keeping them busy is what worked for me. I'm sure others will have great ideas to help your's. I didn't want vampires unless it was my decision a sim would become one, so I used a mod, which I think came from MTS called garlic. The object was a teddy bear vampire and you had the option to 'give garlic to . . . ' or even give it to the whole hood, this protected the NPC problem of being bitten. Then you could just remove it from any sim you wanted to turn. No adding an object to inventory, just the option chosen on the teddy and it was done.

There is a mod somewhere for them to use their coffin and stay in it. Mine slept in a normal bed, it worked fine. He had a job that was mostly nites only once he went up a few levels. Also a vampire can drive to work and using a garage to come and go is safe. They will go down a bit in needs but not like being outdoors, more like normal. Once they arrive home, send them directly inside if daylight and give them something to do. I use tiny lots, but vampires had larger houses so there was plenty to keep them busy. Nighttime they went to community lots to meet friends and do other things. But there are many options for all sorts of mods and I'm sure others will suggest them for you to pick and choose what you like. (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Undead Molten Llama
#4 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 4:28 PM
Or get the Vampire Sleep Caller, here: http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...-appreciate-the Midge the Tree updated it to work with all coffins, Maxis or custom, including the very space-saving vertical ones that she made and that I adore. The Caller will compel vamps to get into and stay in their coffins between the hours of 7AM and 7PM. If a carpool arrives for them, they'll be roused. (And I, personally, just turn on moveobjects and pick up and place the vamp right by the carpool vehicle, since many of my Sims do not own cars and if they have a car, they don't always have an enclosed, attached garage or space for one.) If you need to get them out for some other reason during the day -- like to take care of a kid, maybe -- then their torpor can be manually interrupted, they will do whatever you queue them to do, then get called back to their coffin when they're done.

I'm of the opinion that Maxis's coding for vamps is entirely stupid -- they should know to get/stay in their coffin, and they should know they can't eat food, etc. I have no desire to try to work with the ridiculous Maxis coding of them, so mod, mod, mod! I have a bunch of vamp mods that make them more "realistically" match the vamp lore -- including being able to kill people, though not autonomously -- so...yeah.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 7:47 PM
I suggest having her quit her job. She can easily paint or write novels or whatever all night long to earn whatever money she needs to earn. Once you've figured out how to get her to stay in her coffin--my vamps just plain do, so I'm not sure what her problem is, except possibly low needs from being out of her coffin too late--then expand her allowed activities. If she's got a kid in the house and you have AL, hire a butler so social worker or getting vampire up to cook/feed baby/whatever is avoided.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 8:33 PM
Pescado's sleep clock knows the difference between ordinary beds and vampire coffins and will automatically set itself properly if it detects a coffin in the room (for best results, don't have beds and coffins or differently rated beds in the same room). Set the "Bed Time" option to "Max" if you want it to force the vampire to go to bed on time. This clock is part of Pescado's "Macrotastics" system, but you can use the clock by itself if you want to do that. This should work with Midgethetree's vertical coffins.

This way you can choose whether you want a global mod (Sleep Caller) or an object (Pescado's clock). I'm pretty sure there are/were other mods dealing with this problem, but I no longer remember what they were or who made them. I like the Sleep Caller because I'm lazy and that mod requires no additional setup, but I've already had Pescado's clock in my game for years now, so I guess I'll stick with that. (I know they're not likely to conflict - I just don't see much point in having both.)

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...opic,142.0.html
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Mar 2019 at 9:08 PM
"They can't eat food"?? And even inside, even after I removed windows, mine still die! I like all the silly "blaa!", but they just aren't worth playing, for me.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
"They can't eat food"?? And even inside, even after I removed windows, mine still die! I like all the silly "blaa!", but they just aren't worth playing, for me.

Well, they CAN eat food (and it satisfies their hunger, even!) with vanilla Maxis coding. I understand why that's so, with ratings concerns and all that, but...Me no likey. Thanks to mods, my vamps do what vamps are supposed to do: Feed on other people and sometimes kill them or turn them in the process, and doing so satisfies their hunger, which is good because their ability to eat food is also nuked via mod.

If you want vamps to be awake and not die during the day, then you need a no-motive-decay-during-the-day mod for them. There's one here on MTS, I know. Just removing the windows won't do it because their motive decay will still be greatly increased, just not quite as much as if they go outside. According to Maxis coding, vamps are supposed to be in their coffin during the day, so there's a penalty if they aren't. So, yeah, if you want daylight vamps, you need that mod.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
And even inside, even after I removed windows, mine still die! I like all the silly "blaa!", but they just aren't worth playing, for me.

@grammapat Monique made a mod that makes vampire motives work like a normal sim's when indoors.
http://www.modthesims.info/d/96226/...ck-updated.html

Midgethetree updated it and added a feature from LycosV's "vampire sunblock" mod so that perfume will protect vampires from the sun. Midge also has two other varieties of vampire motive decay mod at that link. One makes motive decay based on aspiration, so platinum aspiration = NO motive decay at all and red aspiration = Maxis rate of decay. The last one makes motives decay at the same rate whether it's day or night, so if you don't have any other vampire motive mods ALL motives should always be locked.

http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...tive-decay-mods
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Mar 2019 at 11:38 PM
There are a whole bunch of mods to make vampires easier/more sensible. Apart from Midgethetree's new ones there are also these:

http://modthesims.info/d/551194/new...y-by-night.html
http://modthesims.info/d/162163/vampire-sunblock.html
http://modthesims.info/d/96226/vamp...ck-updated.html motives will work as a normal sim in "indoors" only. @grammapat
http://modthesims.info/d/96211/vamp...decay-hack.html
http://modthesims.info/d/95517/vamp-sleep-caller.html

Also anyone that plays vampires should have Pescados Creature Fixes. This stops a vampire biting Crumplebottom. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1482.0

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 6:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Also anyone that plays vampires should have Pescados Creature Fixes. This stops a vampire biting Crumplebottom. http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1482.0

Other ways to keep vamps from biting Crumplebottom, courtesy of Midgethetree.

Pescado's creaturefixes without anti-roaches - "Pescado's creaturefixes but without the part that stops evil witch NPCs from spawning roaches on community lots."
http://www.simfileshare.net/download/910775/

If you're only interested in vampires and not necessarily other supernaturals, Midge modified Shaklin's vampire mod so that it includes the creaturefixes code that prevents Crumplebottom from being bitten. Available with or without relationship checks.
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...made-compatible
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 6:29 AM
I don't want witches spawning roaches on community lots, so I will keep Pescado's. I always did wonder if it was one of his mods that was stopping them.

Which mod is the Shaklin's vampire mod?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Well, they CAN eat food (and it satisfies their hunger, even!) with vanilla Maxis coding. I understand why that's so, with ratings concerns and all that, but...Me no likey. Thanks to mods, my vamps do what vamps are supposed to do: Feed on other people and sometimes kill them or turn them in the process, and doing so satisfies their hunger, which is good because their ability to eat food is also nuked via mod.

I nearly went for that mod, but unfortunately it would make them unable to drink fanseelamb's synthetic blood beverage as well.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 10:21 AM Last edited by RoxEllen1965 : 11th Mar 2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Radium uploaded a fixed version so Shaklin's original was no longer needed.
Which mod is the Shaklin's vampire mod?

Shaklin's mod allows more options for the vampire bite.
Quote:
Every time you click Bite Neck interaction you can choose of several options (originally provided by shaklin):
- “Suck Blood” which satisfies vampire’s hunger need and drains victim’s energy. You can either give your “food“ three additional days of life or not which affects relationship (makes it higher or lower respectively).
- “Vampire Bite”, either transformation or bite of death.

Simsinfluence made a version that requires a relationship check. Midgethetree added compatibility with creaturefixes (will protect Mrs. Crumplebottom from being bitten even if you don't have creaturefixes) and tweaked the victim's energy loss a bit. Read the description in her link for more information. Midgethetree's version is available with or without relationship checks.

I originally got my copy of Shaklin's mod from the graveyard (which is currently unavailable) and there was an alternate "vampire hunter" version that included two extra files which provided a kit for vampire hunters. See details below and in screenshots for a description of how it works. I have never seen the "vampire hunter" version of this mod posted anywhere else and apparently few people know this version existed.

=======================================================

Radium/Midgethetree has fixed/updated this mod to be compatible with creaturefixes and made a version with Sims-Influence's relationship checks. Shaklin's original mod is no longer needed, so I removed that file. Get the fixed and updated version here:
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...made-compatible

Features of Shaklin's "Vampire Hunter" mod:

Vampire bites are the same as Shaklin's other vampire mod that was upgraded by Sims-Influence and Midgethetree.
1. Turn other sims into vampires just like original Maxis vamps.
2. Feed on a human sim. The victim's Energy empties and the vampires's Hunger fills up.
3. Kill a human victim.

With this version of Shaklin's mod, you also get a Vampire hunter's kit. This can be found in Misc./Misc. and costs $125.

1. The kit functions as a proximity alarm when placed on a lot somewhere. One kit appears to cover an entire lot, so you won't need to use more than one kit per lot. So far I've only been able to place it on the ground or floor - no tables or shelves. When you click on the kit, it will say "Vampire-Alarm-System on". This doesn't mean that it IS on - it means this is what you click to turn it on. Once the alarm is turned on, it will alert you if any vampires come onto the lot and will tell you how many there are (see the last two screenshots). In my experimenting, the vampire alarm always alerted me as soon as a vampire was teleported onto the test lot. When a vampire servo was powered down, the alarm reported that the vampire was gone and as soon as the servo was turned back on, the mod alerted me to a vampire again.

2. Place the kit into a vampire hunter's inventory and when selected, the hunter will get an additional social menu item when clicking on any vampire sim - "Cure Vampire". Clicking this item gives the hunter a choice of "Peg" (stake) or "Holy Water". Holy water will cure the vampire and turn it into an ordinary human sim. Using the peg/stake will kill the vampire and turn it into a pile of ashes.

No vampires were harmed in making my screenshots. Many thanks to Count Adam Zeman for his invaluable cooperation.
Screenshots
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 11:18 PM
Of course it has to clash ugh. Why did Midge remove the no roaches feature, people want roaches?!?

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 11:57 PM
Someone specifically requested the alternate version of creaturefixes for a legacy of theirs where they wanted to limit their mod use - creaturefixes felt essential enough they wanted to keep it, but they felt the no roaches feature was too cheaty for challenge gameplay.

@RoxEllen1965, thank you for sharing this other version of the vampkiss mod! I'll definitely look into editing it when I get the chance so people don't have to pick between having vampire hunters and having my/sim-influence's tweaks.

AKA Midge the Tree
simblr // LJ // dreamwidth
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 12:07 AM
@Radium Fair enough. I don't suppose you can tell me yet if what I requested on your Tumblr is possible at all? No rush, I was just interested to know if what I was proposing, direct selling from inventory would be possible or if I was asking the impossible.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 12:15 AM
@joandsarah77 It should be possible to make a clone of the give gift interaction with different anims/accessories and an additional dialog after the "give gift" dialog to determine how much money should be exchanged; I haven't been able to come up with a good way to automatically detect the items exchanged and their collective value but there are also some advantages to being able to determine the sale price yourself so hopefully this compromise is agreeable? You've been quite patient so I'll definitely try to get to your request soon!

AKA Midge the Tree
Mad Poster
#19 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 12:54 AM
Why did Midge remove the no roaches feature, people want roaches?!?

Actually, I've decided that I want the wicked witches to summon roaches. It adds a bit of risk and challenge to my game. If you don't want Corruptus Locus summoning vermin, you could always download the mod the for the spell itself.
http://midgethetree.tumblr.com/post...ticed-i-updated

@Radium - You're very welcome. There's no hurry in updating the vampire hunter mod. I'm just glad I can make it available to others. It's such a cool idea. I wish that I'd realized sooner how obscure it was.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:24 AM
There may not have been a need to rush, but it seemed like a cool mod and given that updating it was just a matter of copying over edits I've already made it was easy enough to just go ahead and get it done! I'll go ahead and relink to my vampkiss upload post where people can now also get the updated version of shaklin's vampire hunter mod.

AKA Midge the Tree
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Radium
@joandsarah77 It should be possible to make a clone of the give gift interaction with different anims/accessories and an additional dialog after the "give gift" dialog to determine how much money should be exchanged; I haven't been able to come up with a good way to automatically detect the items exchanged and their collective value but there are also some advantages to being able to determine the sale price yourself so hopefully this compromise is agreeable? You've been quite patient so I'll definitely try to get to your request soon!

@Radium That's okay, I know modding takes time and that what I was asking for wasn't anything simple or quick. Just knowing it should be possible is enough for me to know. I can wait. Only if possible I don't want to use the give gift interaction as I said on Tumblr, but rather the exchange of money that happens when you sell a pet. The sim literally hands over cash if you have seen it. If it can only work by using the give gift interaction then of course, I will accept that. Thank you for your awesome work. :lovestruc

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:44 AM
Of course it has to clash ugh. Why did Midge remove the no roaches feature, people want roaches?!?

Yes, actually. XD I never got to see my cats hunt roaches mod in action because my sims are too tidy and I have the strays on community lots mod, so I let the witches summon roaches for them to play with. XD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 4:52 AM
That is true, I think I have your mod but I have never seen it in action since I hate roaches so much I never see them. I think I got it more for backup. I also have better stomp. I just hate roaches, rl or game ones so much. I don't think on a comm lot I could stand waiting for a cat to just happen along.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Radium
There may not have been a need to rush, but it seemed like a cool mod and given that updating it was just a matter of copying over edits I've already made it was easy enough to just go ahead and get it done! I'll go ahead and relink to my vampkiss upload post where people can now also get the updated version of shaklin's vampire hunter mod.

@Radium Thank you for fixing it. I'm glad it wasn't much trouble. You might want to update your blog entry to the effect that I haven't been able to figure out how the "alarm" feature is meant to work. I did some tentative testing with the mod and it never did anything. I've never seen any sort of manual or readme for this mod, so I'm just guessing that it's meant to do that. I placed the kit on the ground once and when I clicked it, it said "Vampire-Alarm-System on". Naturally I assumed that meant the kit was some sort of proximity alarm, but so far it hasn't reacted in any noticeable way when I teleport vampires onto the lot for testing.

Don't feel that you have to bother about fixing the alarm feature. I never paid it much attention anyway. I'm just happy that my vampire hunters can have their stakes and holy water and not have to fight with creaturefixes anymore.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 11th Mar 2019 at 7:11 AM
Took a quick peak inside its game file and looks like if it says "Vampire-Alarm-System on" it's currently off and that's the option for turning it on, but if you do turn it on about every 25 hours the game checks for any vampires on the lot and gives you a message if any are found - quite obnoxious to test since it'll take 25 hours (give or take a minute) after you first turn it on for it to make its first check, but this feature doesn't seem all that useful anyway.

ETA: Also @joandsarah77, yes making it look like an exchange of money instead of using a gift box should be doable and is what I meant by replacing the anims & accessories!

AKA Midge the Tree
Page 1 of 2