Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:34 PM
Default Dumb question
You're probably gonna think I'm really stupid for asking this, but can someone tell me what a default skin is??
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:40 PM
Welcome to Mod the Sims! We prefer that you ask quick questions that do not need their own topic here.

As to your question, a default skin is a skintone that comes with the game.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:41 PM
And sometimes you'll see "default skin" as a custom skin which replaces the skintones that come with the game.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:43 PM
Building on to what Portaller says, a default replacement is something that replaces the original texture. They are common for skins, and eyes. A lot of people also use default replacements for maxis clothing.

So what came with the game is the defaults, and when you want them to look differently, you find a default replacement.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 5:47 PM
There are no stupid questions.

The term "default" refers to something that is used or assumed in the absence of any other directions. When you boot up your computer, it runs the installed operating system "by default," unless you have an external device or disk in giving it alternate instructions.

In game shorthand, a "default skin" (or outfit, or eye color, or whatever) is a piece of custom content which is installed to override original content. Say you don't think S3 is dark enough. You create a skin which you think is the correct value for S3. If you put it into the game normally, existing S3 skins will not change, the original S3 will still appear in CAS, and only sims you create in CAS (or, if you geneticized it, are born in the game of parents with a skintone range that permits it) will have that skintone.

If, however, you code the skin as a default, it will override the existing S3 and take its place where ever it appears. It will not have a custom star and will be treated by the game as if it were the original S3.

You should be able to take out a properly-made default at any time, without any special steps, and everything that was using it will revert to the original appearance of whatever you defaulted.

In future, if you feel like you have a question that "everybody else" already knows (I promise you, everybody else doesn't!), or that should have a straightforward answer not worth making a whole thread about, there is a "stupid/random questions" thread just for that. It's great because you don't have to make yourself conspicuous when you're feeling embarrassed about having to ask; also, if you start following it, you'll pick up a lot of information, find out that your questions aren't as dumb as you think, and will see that even people you think of as experienced and knowledgeable still have questions to post there.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 6:11 PM Last edited by Charity : 31st Aug 2014 at 4:12 AM.
If there are no stupid questions then why do we have a stupid/random questions thread lol?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 6:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
If there are no stupid question then why do we have a stupid/random questions thread lol?
Simple. GLaDOS made the thread.

I'm thinking all through the night
I could be yours just like before
Rewrite another try
'Cause we've had the loneliest time
Mad Poster
#8 Old 30th Aug 2014 at 6:48 PM
Because people are conditioned to feel that perfectly valid questions are stupid.

Smart people ask questions. Dumb people fake it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:06 AM
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:49 AM
Is it just me or are there more random questions not going into the Stupid/Random Questions thread since it got unstickied and looks like an ordinary thread?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 11:35 AM
I don't think so Charity. It's just that UC has brought in a lot of new people, and that has caused a lot more activity. Everything is busier than it was pre-UC. I find a lot of questions are being directed to Stupid questions FAQ, more so than before, so I'm guessing it's more or less the same as it used to be. It's just more of both.