Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 5:56 AM Last edited by Greenplumbbob : 18th Aug 2017 at 2:50 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Do I need to delete my mods before installing an expansion pack?
I'm finally getting around to buying the Sims 3 Ambitions (I have all the other expansion packs besides World Adventures). Will I need to get rid of my mods before installing Ambitions? Or will I need to update my game after installing Ambitions (requiring me to re-download the latest updates of all the mods)?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 6:07 AM
Short answer... No.

Most everyone is patched to 1.67 or that horrific 1.69.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 7:08 AM
It's always a best practice to pull the entire TS3 user game folder out of Documents to the Desktop before installing a new EP or patch, although not everyone remembers to do this, and test the new EP on the clean game folder, new game save just to make it's working as it should. Then put the original game folder with mods, saves, content, and everything else back in place. There is no need to delete anything except caches.

As for updating the game, that depends on which patch you are on now and how Ambitions was purchased/is to be installed. If disc or if this is the Mac version of the game, and you have EPs up through ITF, then you were on at least Patch 1.63 already. It would be recommended generally to patch up to 1.67. If this is an Origin install, you will be on Patch 1.69 whether you want it or not. If Steam, then 1.67, again no choices given.

But Ambitions alone does not raise the patch level of the game if you are already beyond that, the patch that one "came with" was 1.12 long ago and you would already be way past that. As for mods, they should always be compatible with the patch level you are actually playing. Those that are still in development, such as NRaas mods but from other developers as well, should always be maintained at the most recent versions if you are playing on Patch 1.67/69.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 2:22 PM
Site Helper
#5 Old 18th Aug 2017 at 6:20 PM
The one thing you need to be mindful of in this case would be the fact that in at least Sims 2 and 3, your entire set of User Files is subject to randomly vanishing on rare occasions when you add or remove an EP or SP, or when you patch to a higher level. Sims 2 was especially prone to that, although it did happen to me once in Sims 3. I'm not sure if it happened in Sims 1 or not, but given the squirrely behavior of installing a new EP in Sims 1, it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook