Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th May 2019 at 10:49 PM
Default Adoption Pool Genetics
How are the genetics for the children created for the adoption pool determined? Are they just templates? If so, is there a way to randomize them?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th May 2019 at 11:10 PM
They're already randomized, in the same way that new townies are generated. Which means, with the game's imperfect randomizer. Which means, it doesn't hurt to roll the pacifier before the social worker arrives.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th May 2019 at 11:10 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th May 2019 at 8:07 PM.
I think it's completely random already (anything default or towniefied - no custom items except hair), if they're not kids taken away by the social worker (these always end up first in the adoption pool).
Field Researcher
#4 Old 18th May 2019 at 1:14 AM
I may be completely wrong about this, but as I have been adopting more kids in my neighbourhood, they look to me like a combination of their parents' genetics.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 18th May 2019 at 1:33 AM
They don't have any parents, the game just randomly generates them.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 18th May 2019 at 3:00 AM
The stuck randomizer affects adopted kids? That's odd, it doesn't seem to in my game. I don't roll the pacifier before adopting but all my adopted kids look different. Though, two who were adopted into the same family do look enough alike that they might've been birth sisters, so that's kind of a half-headcanon of mine.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 18th May 2019 at 4:49 AM
The adoption pool goes through any kids previously taken by the social worker or given up for adoption (if you have mods that add that into the game), then begins generating new sims for adoption each time you go to adopt. The new children are randomly generated like townies.
Instructor
#8 Old 18th May 2019 at 5:05 AM
They may not look alike but do their personalities all match?
Inventor
#9 Old 18th May 2019 at 6:40 AM
This depends somewhat on whether you are generating a baby, toddler, or child. As mentioned, provided you didn't have any playables taken away previously by the social worker, toddlers and children are generated randomly just like any other townie or CAS sim. They have no parents and their genetics and personality will be whatever the game randomizer rolls out. Babies, however, are a bit different. If you didn't have any playable babies taken away, the game will only generate a baby if you have at least one adult male and one adult female townie. The game grabs one male and one female townie to be the baby's DNA donors, and it will have a mix of their genetics and personality. So how that baby will look when they grow up will depend entirely on the adult townies available.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th May 2019 at 6:53 AM
Having had a number of adopted kids in my game, all vanilla, I had a variety of kids, all different looking and with different personalities. Orlando Centowski, after growing up, adopted a kid who looked exactly like him
I never regretted anyone of them in my game.
Theorist
#11 Old 18th May 2019 at 10:33 AM
Isn't it that lots of things can trigger the random generator in the game? (Walkbyes, the Sims that appear on a community lot, Sims that are brought home from work/school) So it's possible to not experience the first born effect without the debugger and the rolling of pacifiers if you are lucky enough to have done enough of the things that trigger the RNG? So that would explain people getting varied adoptees even without rolling the pacifier.

Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
The game grabs one male and one female townie to be the baby's DNA donors, and it will have a mix of their genetics and personality. So how that baby will look when they grow up will depend entirely on the adult townies available.

Oh really? And here I was avoiding to adopt babies because I wouldn't be able to tell whether they'd generate with a Maxis face template (I've only adopted children so far). Since I made my own townies, that would not be a bad outcome, actually.

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Orlando Centowski, after growing up, adopted a kid who looked exactly like him

Well that's not really unusual. Judging from his name, I assume Orlando is a pre-generated townie you made playable, right? Then that means his face is an unaltered CAS face template, so that means the adopted kid just happened to be randomly generated with the same face template.
It's even more likely to happen if you don't have any additional templates installed, since there's less possibilities for the game to chose from.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 18th May 2019 at 2:37 PM
Possible indeed - Orlando, though, is not the only townie I've made playable, he is one of many teens, I sent all of them to Uni (including the BV, downtown and Bluewater Village teens) - he is, however, the only one whose adopted kid looks exactly like him.

I still have to see the so-called first-born syndrome in my game - I don't believe I've ever had a family having 2 kids with the exact same personality (adopted or not) - and I don't actually ever use the randomizer (mostly because I don't think about it at all).
Alchemist
#13 Old 18th May 2019 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
This depends somewhat on whether you are generating a baby, toddler, or child. ...Babies, however, are a bit different. If you didn't have any playable babies taken away, the game will only generate a baby if you have at least one adult male and one adult female townie. The game grabs one male and one female townie to be the baby's DNA donors, and it will have a mix of their genetics and personality. So how that baby will look when they grow up will depend entirely on the adult townies available.

I found this so interesting I had to test it out. I made a completely empty test hood with just 2 townies (same genetics) and one adoptive dad (completely different genetics) and the adopted baby did have the genetics of the 2 townies. Cool!

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I still have to see the so-called first-born syndrome in my game - I don't believe I've ever had a family having 2 kids with the exact same personality (adopted or not) - and I don't actually ever use the randomizer (mostly because I don't think about it at all).

Me, either, but when I researched it more, I realized I don't think I've ever had the same two parents have more than one kid. My sims get around a lot.
Theorist
#14 Old 18th May 2019 at 3:55 PM
I've also never seen "firstborn syndrome" either. I haven't adopted a ton but back in the day one of my Legacy family false starts adopted several because I was trying to fulfill the mother's lifetime want of having 10 kids. Their born children all looked different (sometimes vastly different, like one looks more like Mom and another more like Dad) with different personalities and their adopted children were based on various ones of the Townie templates.
Inventor
#15 Old 18th May 2019 at 4:11 PM
If you play long enough sessions and/or do a lot of community lot visits, you're probably causing the randomizer to roll often enough to avoid first-born syndrome. I've only had it happen once that I know of with a brother/sister pair (same genetics and personalities, just opposite sexes). I think it was Mootilda who noticed it because she played very short sessions.

Sunrader, yup I did a similar experiment a while ago. I was having issues with the game failing to generate a baby when I tried to adopt one, with an error popping up about getting parents. Turned out it was because I had renamed my Pleasantview template to prevent the usual townies from being spawned. Without any townies, it didn't have any donors to take genetics from.
Alchemist
#16 Old 18th May 2019 at 7:55 PM
for generated characters, their names would come from the townie-name lists; Toddler/Child.
Baby; I take player has to name those adoptions.

characters added to the adoption bin; I recall from long ago that they would be considered townies.

can game pick regular Townies (and/or Downtownies) when sims adopt?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th May 2019 at 9:51 PM
[QUOTE=Devon Aster]If you play long enough sessions and/or do a lot of community lot visits, you're probably causing the randomizer to roll often enough to avoid first-born syndrome. I've only had it happen once that I know of with a brother/sister pair (same genetics and personalities, just opposite sexes). I think it was Mootilda who noticed it because she played very short sessions.

That certainly sounds probable to me - my sims go to community lots regularly - I have big families and also have a lot of twins, of course, and they don't share the same personalities (or even star signs) either