Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 8:13 PM Last edited by IdleThoughts : 13th Dec 2015 at 9:42 PM.
Default The Financial Descent Challenge (Riches to Rags)
I'm unsure if this has been touched on before, but I thought I'd introduce a fairly simple challenge to add to your cycles.

Normally, a Legacy Family transitions from living off the land to amassing a huge fortune. In this challenge, however, I insist you hold on to every Simoleon as if it's irreplaceable... because it really is. At the unfortunate departure of his/her parents, your sim has gained refuge in a distant, unfamiliar neighborhood. Instead of building a greater fortune for themselves, they opt to merely live off of the inheritance they've been provided with. This tradition continues with their children, and the family remains content, but ultimately poorer as the generations fly by.

Rules:

Select a starting cash amount to start off, perhaps around ยง100,000 to be safe, but be careful: this is all the money you will have to live out ten entire generations! Remember to subtract the cost of the lot from your chosen sum of cash when adjusting your money with familyfunds. In reality, you may choose any amount of Simoleons you want; just keep in mind that your choice entirely determines the difficulty of this challenge.

• So that bills won't be as tolling, you may have to skip out on several luxuries down the line. Any alternate attempts reduce bills, such as with solar panels, will be prohibited.
  • Custom furniture may only be used if its stats and prices correspond closely to standard EA items, use your own judgment in what seems fair, and what is unfair.
  • Throughout the generations, you may not pursue any means of making money. You may not receive money from careers, hobbies, crafts, chance cards, or any other means.
  • However, you may redeem funds by selling household items. You cannot buy, use, and sell the same object in a single day to avoid depreciation, though.
  • When you move in a spouse, you must negate the funds they arrived with; in addition, any objects they have brought with them may not be used.
  • If you desire having a job in pursuit of LTWs, it is allowed; however, at the end of each day, you must negate the funds that was gained due to job performance and/or chance cards with familyfunds. If you lose some sum of money due to chance cards, you may restore it. This might become a tedious practice, but completely applicable.
  • Crafts can still be made and even hung about to decorate the house; however, you may never sell these for profit. To delete them, you must either stow it away in someone's inventory, or use familyfunds to negate the money gained after selling them.
  • If you're the shallow sort that lives off of impromptu excursions to the clothing store, I'll allow you to restore the money you spend on asthetics. If you'd like to pay anyway, I won't stop you.

Scoring:

Simply put, your score in this challenge will be the amount of money you elected to start with, the lower score the better!

If want you continue this challenge after ten generations, scoring is done by multiplying your initial amount by 10, then dividing that number by the amount of complete generations you've completed (when all children age to adult). For example, if you played for 16 generations and started out with $100,000, your final score would be calculated as shown:

($100,000 x 10)/(16 Generations) = 62,500 Points
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Dec 2015 at 9:13 PM
... Well this is a challenge. I played a challenge similar in Sims 3 but not being able to earn money ever is different.
I'm down. :D
Field Researcher
#3 Old 15th Dec 2015 at 4:03 PM
I might give this one a try, but instead of doing it as a 10 generation challenge just make it the rule for one of my families in the game I'm setting up now. If I get a Sims with job LTW though I'll make them move out of the family home to get their own place. It'll be interesting to watch the family fortune crumble. I will allow them to keep what money they marry into, but only if they marry another character I play (because they won't have much money, lol.) I can see the Hart family from Widespot working this lifestyle.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2015 at 7:32 AM
I want to try this! It seems to me that $100,000 would be a lot? Build them a modest but complete home, and you'd only have to pay for food and bills, right?
Would it be against the spirit of the challenge to have them fish for food?