Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#26 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 4:41 PM
Is your downloads folder readonly?

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the appropriate thread.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 15th Feb 2006 at 6:49 PM Last edited by Mirjam : 16th Feb 2006 at 11:50 AM.
there are only package files in my downloads folder
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 8:52 PM
yuhu... any sugestions? please i'm desperate
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#29 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 10:16 PM
Is the folder itself readonly?

Lab Assistant
#30 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 5:22 PM
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#31 Old 3rd Mar 2006 at 5:36 PM
Thats your problem. Maxis has a weird way of complaining about things. If it can't create a new file, it says the disc is out of space, even though that might not be the problem. See if changing it helps.

The Quiet One
retired moderator
#32 Old 4th Mar 2006 at 7:11 PM
Has anyone tested this with Open for Business?

DDO
Field Researcher
#33 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WebbyMom
Thanks so much for the great lead, dude! Appreciate it!

You're very welcome. But I'm soooo not a dude! :female:

:p

"Don't harsh my melon." -- Alexis Denisof
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#34 Old 5th Mar 2006 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daysies
Has anyone tested this with Open for Business?
Some one on the SimPE site reported a problem with Homecrafter after installing OfB. i directed them to this thread.

Lab Assistant
#35 Old 2nd May 2006 at 12:57 AM
Hiya Ive been reading this as my home crafter loaded, but crashed when i clicked the floor tool. I tried the 'run as' method and it worked.I have all the exps installed Open For Business. Im just adding more info that it happened with OFB not just NL.Its working fine so far.
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th May 2006 at 12:08 AM
What an absolute pain in the arse that is to find out. Thank god there were posts on here to read and find the solution to the problem. The 'run as' worked for me after spending almost an hour uninstalling and installing Homecrafter. There is nothing on the Exchange about this or what to do. Thanks to everyone here who contributed to these posts on this topic - it took me all of about 3 minutes to read these posts and solve my problem. Grrr.

Come and see what's so 'spicy' at www.spicysims.com
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#37 Old 4th May 2006 at 4:44 AM
Default Different Problem, Seemed like appropriate thread to post to...
Ok, I don't have any problems running Homecrafter. But what I do have an issue with is when I try to access the Projects -> HomeCrafter Plus subdirectory folder to copy images that I've created to make walls, explorer crashes freezes up on me. I have to manually End Task to close the folder. This also happens when I try to save the file directly to the folder with Photoshop. Any clues on what could be wrong?

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#38 Old 4th May 2006 at 4:49 AM
If you have a file with a bad/long/invalid name in that directory, you can run into that problem - I was having something similar happen, though not in relation to Homecrafter (Windows Explorer, Photoshop, or any other program looking in a certain directory would crash as soon as I tried to view the file contents). The solution I found was to delete the contents of the folder in a DOS prompt, though renaming the files to something that doesn't confuse your computer would probably work, too, if it's due to the same sort of issue.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
retired moderator
#39 Old 4th May 2006 at 5:49 AM
Thanks HP, I'll try to sort it out and post back later.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#40 Old 4th May 2006 at 12:41 PM
Just so you know, file paths (includeing the drive and folders) shouldn't exceed 255 characters. And, you shouldn't have more than about 64 files on the root of any drive.

retired moderator
#41 Old 5th May 2006 at 6:57 PM
HP, I moved the files out of the HomeCrafter folder thru DOS and the it's working fine now. Thanks so much for the help (don't know why I didn't think of doing that sooner, I have a degree in this stuff after all... silly geek can't seem to do tech support for myself ).

Test Subject
#42 Old 6th May 2006 at 12:12 AM
After installing OFB (and that is the only Ep I have) my HomeCrafter would not run, I did what everybody told me to do. And now it runs. Thank you for your help.
However, I now have a new problem: it does not load any other floors, walls or groundcovers than tose in the original game. Not any from OFB or any custom content. Does anybody have a clue as to what is wrong? Please help me.
Test Subject
#43 Old 8th May 2006 at 5:18 AM Last edited by dos-x : 8th May 2006 at 5:31 AM.
thanks for this and to Webbymom. i'll do this roundabout step and hopefully get this bloody thing working.

*grumble grumble*

thank you though!!

Im getting "Cannot open C:\Docs and sets\dosx\desktop\ts2homecrafterplus_install.exe" out of Winrar.

wait nvm. i may have done something..yes i unchecked the underbubble that says 'protect my computer'

another case of techie gone stupid.
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th May 2006 at 4:51 AM
I appreciate all the help in this thread, but I have one more question... for the check if the imports/downloads folder is read-only which one do I need to check??

I have XP with "all users", "default user" and me and my husband in my docs & Settings folders. i've gone into every user and marked every EA folder that's called "downloads" as not read-only, but I still get the "not enough disk space" error. What am I still doing wrong?

TIA for the help!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#45 Old 9th May 2006 at 5:01 AM
Windows ignores that bit, so it may have not been unset.

Test Subject
#46 Old 18th May 2006 at 6:14 PM
That's bizarre Mirjam, is your hard drive actually full? If it is, time to start deleting some things!

I finally figured out what the problem was with Homecrafter! It was those evil but lovely transparent tiles! Once I took all of the transparent tiles out of my game, I was able to restore all my floors!

Want to see more of my creations? Click Here!
Field Researcher
#47 Old 18th May 2006 at 6:57 PM
I have all EPs except family fun and my homecrafter runs just fine and exports to my game just fine and what not. One problem you all might be having is if you have Numneors (i think i spelled that wrong) frosted floor tile in your downloads. He has warned in that thread that IT WILL cause problems with homecrafter. It is not ALL of the transparent tiles it's just the frosted one. I cannot remember the name of the file exactly cause i didn't put it in my game to begin with. But trying finding and removing that if you have it and see if that helps. As far as the not enough hard disc space, well that issue has been addressed, read through all the posts to this thread and you will find your answer.
Test Subject
#48 Old 20th May 2006 at 1:08 AM
I'm losing my head over this!

I have the base game and NL, and so I was having the same problem as the others, that when I double-clicked on the HCP icon, nothing happened. I tried the Run As solution, and then the program opened.

It worked fine up until I tried to export a wall to the game. Then I got the "not enough disk space" error. So, I checked my downloads folder and took off the Read Only checkmark--or else, I tried to--it seemed to apply the changes, but when I checked again, Read Only was still marked!

Then I thought, "Maybe I DO have those transparent floor tiles," because I wasn't sure whether or not I did. So I downloaded them to find out the filenames, and sure enough, they were in my Downloads folder. I closed HCP, I deleted the transparent floor tiles, and reloaded HCP.

Now, I can't even load a wall template--I immediately get the "not enough hard disk space" error! I even tried deleting a bunch of stuff from my computer and emptied the recycle bin, but I still got that message. I don't understand why I got further before I removed the transparent floor tiles!

Any ideas? I'm thinking the problem is that I can't un-Read Only my downloads folder... how do I fix that?
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#49 Old 20th May 2006 at 2:50 AM
It has been said many times and appearently, I'm going to have to say it again, Windows ignores that bit and so it won't (un)set it. Try move it to the desktop, opening and closing Bodyshop and copying the files back into the new folder.

Test Subject
#50 Old 20th May 2006 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jaxad0127
It has been said many times and appearently, I'm going to have to say it again, Windows ignores that bit and so it won't (un)set it. Try move it to the desktop, opening and closing Bodyshop and copying the files back into the new folder.

Actually, that wasn't said once in this whole thread. In one comment you did say, "Windows ignores that bit, so it may have not been unset." And yeah, I got that--that was my exact problem. But there was no solution ever mentioned.

Thank you for your reply.
Page 2 of 5