Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 8:24 PM
Default Gambrel Roof
Is there a tutorial around for creating Gambrel (barn) roofs? I've found a couple barns/lots and downloaded them thinking I could 'reverse engineer' what had already been created - no such luck. I know there's a solution for this as someone has already done it - but I just can't figure out how. I'm not a newbie when it comes to creating roofs, but this one seems to have me stumped.
Advertisement
#2 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 8:38 PM
I don`t know how to use the constrainFloorElevation cheat, exactly, but I`ve seen enough to know that it would work for this.

Dig a roof-shaped hole in the ground, lay a level floor above it, and fill in the hole. When you turn the cheat on and off, however, I don`t know. There are roofing tutorials that mention this, however; I`ve seen some, but don`t recall the details.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 8:57 PM
I've made great domed roofs using the dig-a-hole constrainfloorelevation cheat. :-) The gambrel/barn roof is a bit different though. It's not an arched or domed roof. My reverse engineering showed me that it's made of two different sections. The top piece is a low gabel roof sitting on two side pieces that are slightly sloped inward. They look like roof, do not seem to be walls, and don't seem to be bits or pieces of any maxis roof types. The top gabel is easy - the side roof pieces - that's what I can't figure out.
#4 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:13 PM
I don`t think the fact that it isn`t an arched or domed roof is relavent. I`ve seen the technique used to make spires, too. It should work for arbitrary random shapes. I think it will work, but be very tedious. As you already know how to use this method, I`d like to suggest that you try it on a small building, digging a [not necessarily carfuly] sculpted non-domed, non-arched hole in the ground, roofing it over with flooring, and flattening the ground. Ok?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Knitting fiend
retired moderator
#5 Old 31st Oct 2008 at 9:16 PM
You don't need CFE to do this, but you certainly could use it. It would help if you went into your profile and ticked the boxes for which EP's you've got.

The roofslopeangle cheat makes this type of roof very simple and became available with Pets and up. All you have to is draw three sections of roof. Two sides and one on top and make the one on top flatter than the sides.

"Evil genius is still genius." Asura NPC GW2
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Nov 2008 at 8:16 PM Last edited by keef1973 : 1st Nov 2008 at 8:21 PM. Reason: Wrong link
The individualRoofSlopeAngle cheat is the one I mostly use but Tiko at TSR has one
I'm not sure if this is ok weatherwise in seasons though.
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 12:00 AM
you would probably need to use the CFE cheat to shorten the height of the top part of the roof. Might look a bit silly having the full 16 click height for the side portions. it's an aesthetic thing and it also depends on how large the building is- the larger the building (and the roof) the less silly it would look. I'm guessing you may want to lower it to 8 clicks and see how that looks.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by keef1973
The individualRoofSlopeAngle cheat is the one I mostly use but Tiko at TSR has one
I'm not sure if this is ok weatherwise in seasons though.

to make it weather-proof you must add a (flat) dummy-level under the "roof"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Nov 2008 at 6:12 PM
After a bit of searching, I found the 'barn roof', 'mansard roof' tutorial on the TS2 web site. The entire thing actually consists of a sloped roof on either side with a raised pitch, two walls set between the slopes, and then a gabled roof with a low pitch on top of it all. It's funny how easy something is -- after the fact! :-) Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

Bonnie
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies