Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#51 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 11:36 PM
I really dislike the idea of english ads, but im afraid that if i turn of my internet connection my game will get somthing like the blue flashing objects that everyone hates. If thats the case then I'll take the ads.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 4:55 AM
I would think that instead of blue flashing objects that offline ads would just be in-game Simlish ones.
#53 Old 18th Oct 2008 at 3:16 PM
When you think of many nice ways to make money you know you are greedy.

I dislike the idea of this, because my computer can't even handle 1k of downloads. How will it handle ad's? My computer freezes if an ad moves, so HEH let me laugh at this.

I never liked the sims 3, I knew EA would get so sneaky and try to hide a few things in it, and when they hear "OH IM SOO BUYING IT" they release the other hidden details.

I don't want ads, simlish or english. Sims is a game not internet, or an advertisement channel.

If ad's bug me in real life, heh imagine what sims-ads do.

Valerie
Mad Poster
#54 Old 19th Oct 2008 at 5:00 AM
Yes but remember that the Maxoids have already stated numerous times that the game will be able to run on plenty of older computers, which frankly is awfully nice of them to consider those who don't have high-end computers. And just like Sims 2 has the ability to set the level of graphics that your computer can handle, I'm more than positive that Sims 3 will include that. They would have to.
#55 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 12:10 AM
This is the exact reason why I'm not going to buy this game. EVER. oh, and securom.

I'm just enraged by this, especially with the fact that EA gives us no straight answers about ads in the game. Look at the article on AdAge. Look at the wording. EA is being vague about it on purpose - to make us think that it's no big deal!!
The "switching in and out" is a perfect example. Does it mean we can shut it off? Or does it mean the ads will "dynamically" change on the posters etc... EA's press release needs a Rosetta stone for us to translate this crap to make it perfectly understandable. But that's their way of doing things - lies, lies, lies.

To the people who are OK with it: Just remember how annoying TV commercials are, how some channels turn the volume up way high on commercial breaks, how annoying some of them are like freecreditreport.com or the Target "goodbuy" commercials!!! REMEMBER THESE AND THINK OF SIMS 3!! aarghhh :steam:

And this one is just great:
“Advertising is very organic to the ‘Sims 3’ experience. Suppose your Sim had a tough day, or the Sim kids are out of control. That could be the moment for a particular [brand of] pain relief. Then they take that pain relief and feel restored, better rested... less on edge.”
Mr. Seabolt is suggesting that the ads will be more than just posters at the movie theater. It will *dynamically* integrate itself into our gameplay. That is what especially ruins the game for me, including countless other reasons (non-Simlish ads, adware, spyware, forced internet connection, etc etc).

ok. *whew* .. good day.
#56 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sisvl
I really dislike the idea of english ads, but im afraid that if i turn of my internet connection my game will get somthing like the blue flashing objects that everyone hates. If thats the case then I'll take the ads.

It would be horrible if the ads were replaced by "could not load page", or the red X that appears when an image doesn't load :mean: Hopefully that won't be the case, but I wouldn't be surprised
Test Subject
#57 Old 26th Oct 2008 at 1:45 AM
Personally, I think alot of people are overreacting. Dynamic advertising in games isn't anything new. Your Maddens, your FIFAs, and you NBA Lives all use them, tastefully. From the way the article is worded, this is what I believe they are trying to say:
Say, for instance, you are making a community lot and you want it to be similar to the real world. In the catalogue, there would be a generic post/billboard/marquee, which would be different depending on the last time the internet was accessed. As for brand integration, I don't think they're going to go out of their way to try and sell you the product, ie when a sim brushes their teeth, it's not going to zoom in to them using a tube of Colgate Total. It will probably be more along the lines of "it's branded, and if you notice, maybe you'll buy it, if not, oh well".
This news doesn't really affect my opinion of the Sims 3.
Scholar
#58 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 2:21 AM
not anything AMAZING...but this pic dose show nice shadow effects...how shadows go on objects and such...and you can tell thew graphics are better. and look! elders! :P

found here:
http://www.simsdetoi.com/?subaction...911320&archive=
Mad Poster
#59 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 5:17 AM
There's a Ford ad, lol. Now we get to see how the rest of the ads will look.
#60 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 11:50 AM
I don't think it's going to be so bad, I would rather them be in simlish. But if they were in simlish we probably wouldn't be able to tell what brand they were supposed to be advertising haha.
Field Researcher
#61 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 12:05 PM
At least they look fine.
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:24 PM
I'm still not happy with the ads being in the game. I don't care if dynamic advertising in games isn't new... I don't play those sports games anyway. What kinda stuff is EA going to sneak onto my computer upon installing TS3 to get those ads to work? I have tried my best to keep my new gaming computer as clean as possible and don't want it to have problems because of securom or ads being pushed to the game.
We don't even know if there will be an in-game option to turn that crap off!!! What a way to ruin what could be an awesome game EA.
#63 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:39 PM
I agree with you completely, Nova. That picture looks perfect except for the ad. To me, it doesn't blend in well at all (it's the sim world, not the real world). How hard is it to make a simlish ad? They could have the writing in simlish and show a drawing of a Ford car, I'm sure most people would still be able to recognize it as a Ford ad. and it would be much more appealing and creative than...that :/
Mad Poster
#64 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 2:21 AM
Yeah, that's what I wanted, to have real ads in Simlish but also with Sims and not real people.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 5:47 PM
EA won't trouble to make ads simlish and with sims, I guess.
#66 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 4:04 PM

That reminds me of the German Sims 2 game, the newspaper's name when you play The Sims 2 in German is "Bild" and not "Zeitung" (the German word for newspaper).
The game doesn't say that there are to many newspapers on a lot, it says that there to many BILD newspapers. :disagree:
It's so annoying, I don't need ads in a computer game. D:
Mad Poster
#67 Old 2nd Nov 2008 at 9:53 PM
But because it will generate so much money for EA, you really can't blame them for this. Sure it may suck, but as long as these companies are paying EA lots of money, EA would be stupid to refuse. Companies love money because money is essential.
Mad Poster
#68 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 6:47 AM
Yes, they need to invest that money in the actual games so that the games will improve.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#69 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frankie
Companies love money because money is essential.

I think you are all forgetting that EA only exists to make money. They don't make games out of the goodness of their hearts. The adverts will definitely be in English (or native language for non-english countries), as it wouldn't pay any company to purchase advertising that wasn't effective.

splotch., you should notify Lord Darcy of this, if she hasn't already fixed it:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,13399.0.html
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 4th Nov 2008 at 3:59 PM
wonder if someone would keep them on 8-|

but this will keep EA motivated because of the onslaught of companies that will stuff the game with ads...
hope they wont be so stupid to show everyone, no matter what nation the same ads; there are a lot of american companies that dont sell their products in romania, and ads from them would be both pointless and annoying because were not omg americans;
Mad Poster
#71 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 12:14 AM
Well, it would be nice if we knew what companies the ads will show. It'd be nice if another way of advertising can be if they made an actual building of that company with unique objects like say if we had a McDonald's shop it would come with real food from there.
#72 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShortyBoo
I don't want ads in my game. I have AdBlock Plus and since I got that, I've rarely even seen an ad online and if I don't want to see ads on the net, why would I want to look at them in a game? And I don't trust EA enough to allow them to connect to my PC through the net since they'll probably sneak new versions of SecuROM and who knows what else while they're at it. If I do get the game (right now, I don't think I will) I'll be playing with my net disconnected.
Ok, sorry if this was already cleared somewhere else but I just can't find it :confused:.

Are these ADs online banners that shows up anytime we play the game while connected?

In that case, how will playing disconnected reflect on the game? Will the ADs be shown anyways? Or what else? Flashing blue objects or red X will show instead, as somebody else mentioned?

ADs themselves are a big turn-off themselves (not to mention the game itself doesn't look this good, IMHO), but I originally thought they were just going to be plain, static objects just like the paintings in TS2.

I've never played TS2 while connected to the net - as Shortyboo said I really wouldn't want it to connect somewhere against my aknowledge - so this whole thing gets me confused and unpleased.

Sorry again if this was already explained.
Field Researcher
#73 Old 8th Nov 2008 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kasandra
I don't think it's going to be so bad, I would rather them be in simlish. But if they were in simlish we probably wouldn't be able to tell what brand they were supposed to be advertising haha.

Man this is the classic two minds issue for me. Not just as it pertains to Sims 3 but product placement discussions in general. Is it really cool when a show or a game has its own brands as part of the story world a la The Simpsons and Duff beer? Sure. It adds to the personality of the fictional universe.

But at the same time, I hate it when I'm watching a breakfast scene in a sitcom and they try to use a generic cereal box prop that looks modeled after a brand. It's not a deal breaker and will usually not be a distraction if the show's any good. But I do like that TV characters get to use real products a lot more often these days. Was watching Days Of Our Lives recently and man did it feel good when I realized that the hit man trying to kill Sami was a fellow Trac-Fone user.

So I can certainly understand the "why those money-grubbing SOB's" reaction but I can't say I share it. It's not like product placement in the Sims is anything new. The cross-pollinization of SSX3 and The Urbz anybody? I couldn't read that full Ford Flex poster in Night Racer's screenie. So maybe it's going to be the key brand marks in English and the rest in Simlish. Would seem to make sense to me as the game does go to many countries where English isn't the primary language. My main hope where real world product ads is that if that Ford Flex poster is a default object (which at this stage seems likely) that there is actually the possbility of buying my Sims a Flex to drive around in. If not, it will feel more like a "why those" type move. But what I really hope for is some Sims specfic product ads mixed in with the real world stuff. Come on, people tell me you wouldn't laugh to be walking past a newstand and see a poster for the Noodlesoother on the wall.
Mad Poster
#74 Old 9th Nov 2008 at 2:35 AM
It's going to look rather silly when some of these ads will have real people. It's like the people are going to look way more real than the Sims, who are the actual citizens of the town.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 10th Nov 2008 at 12:38 AM
Ben Bell has been going around making the rounds and doing producer walk-throughs. He mentioned that you didn't have to be connected to the internet to actually *play* the game, but those who have preordered say that there is a blurb on the box that says an internet connection is required for certain purposes.

And I'm sure that no one asked the question about in-game ads, or if they did, it wasn't answered. This leads me to believe that there possibly won't be any ingame ads in the *base* game, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be added in any future expansion packs.

I think only time will tell.
Page 3 of 4