Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th May 2009 at 4:53 PM
Default Who's Going To Hold Off On Buying TS3?
Ever since way back last year when they announced "TS3" and I saw pictures, I was like .... yeah - no. I don't know what it is about it, maybe where it's just overly realistic, or maybe because I know that I'm going to be going to college in a year, and most definately will drop the whole simming all together. None the less, although I'm sure just about everyone will go into sims 3 craze, dropping sims 2 and never talking about it again, or making custom content for it, I personally think that I will stick to the good ol' sims 2. Instead of buying ts3, I'll probably just go and buy the last 2 expansions for sims 2 I don't have, as they'll probably be even cheaper than they are now.

Is anyone else going to not buy the sims 3, and instead stick with the sims 2?

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Advertisement
#2 Old 16th May 2009 at 5:00 PM
I'm sticking with Sims 2. Sims 3 kinda lost the actual Sims touch. Personally I think Sims 2 looks much better than Sims 3.
Instructor
#3 Old 16th May 2009 at 5:03 PM
I'm probably going to wait a week or so just so I can get some honest feedback from the community, rather than people whose job it is to advertise a game, and see what the users here do with the game. I imagine I'd buy it eventually though whether it's June 2009 or June 2012.

Not really related to putting off buying the game, but you mention you think the game is too realistic? I find it funny that people are complaining The Sims 3 is too realistic, when for about 5 years a lot of us have been importing realistic skin tones and hair defaults, objects, etc into The Sims 2 to make the game more realistic than it was. Hehe.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 16th May 2009 at 5:22 PM
I think the game looks great but I don't have much choice - It comes out over here six days before I leave for camp for three months. Not much point, eh...
Field Researcher
#5 Old 16th May 2009 at 5:38 PM
I don't think I'm sticking with The Sims 2 the rest of my life but I definitely are not leaving it behind anytime soon. I haven't done nearly anything with TS2 yet as I only recently started really playing. I'm not buying The Sims 3 immediately after its release and I most likely won't be uninstalling TS2 even though I started playing TS3. Of course things can change, only time will tell what happens. It's always possible that I like TS3 more than TS2 or vise versa. I'm going to stick with the one I like the most.

LJ
#6 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:20 PM
The thing that is scaring me off with The Sims 3 right now is the store. I do not want to be forced to pay for content that should be free. Sims 2 is pretty hard to get back into for me.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:23 PM
For me, TS2 was fun... for like the first 2 or 3 years...

Then it got extremely boring and dull...

I can not wait to get TS3, and I am looking foreward to its new features.

Quote: Originally posted by Arcadus
The thing that is scaring me off with The Sims 3 right now is the store. I do not want to be forced to pay for content that should be free. Sims 2 is pretty hard to get back into for me.

Well you arn't going to be forced... since its not required to buy items from The Sims 3 store, there will be plenty of free stuff on MTS2 (or will it be MTS3??), the exchange and the other millions of Sims websites.

The Sims 2 & 3 stores are just away to get Maxis created content.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
I'm probably going to wait a week or so just so I can get some honest feedback from the community, rather than people whose job it is to advertise a game, and see what the users here do with the game. I imagine I'd buy it eventually though whether it's June 2009 or June 2012.

Not really related to putting off buying the game, but you mention you think the game is too realistic? I find it funny that people are complaining The Sims 3 is too realistic, when for about 5 years a lot of us have been importing realistic skin tones and hair defaults, objects, etc into The Sims 2 to make the game more realistic than it was. Hehe.

While I do like the realistic touches I make to sims... skin, hair, eyes...
Sims 3 just shows a whole new age of graphics.
To be completely honest, I tend to prefer games that were made in the early 2000s versus the stuff made in the past year or two.
Maybe it's just the graphics... yeah, blame it on the graphics
....And the time that it is coming out too. I'm gonna be a 2010 Grad. And I'm sure that since I'm going to be on the first car trip outa this town, and heading to a 4 year university... I'm not going to have the time. And especially because I'm getting most of my freshman college done whilst in highschool.

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clw8
While I do like the realistic touches I make to sims... skin, hair, eyes...
Sims 3 just shows a whole new age of graphics.
To be completely honest, I tend to prefer games that were made in the early 2000s versus the stuff made in the past year or two.

Fore some reason, every time I still play TS1 Its funner for me than TS2 is... its still got its charm...
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:28 PM
At first I thought I'd wait on TS3 to hear what other players had to say about it, but I've rather gotten to the point where it kinda repulses me, so I shall definitely be holding off. If I do purchase it, it'll only be at such a time as there are tons of mods to make it nicer to look at. (I mean, ugh. The Sims are blobby and textures are all too smooth and everything is so freaking bright and oversaturated. Hopefully someday there's a mod to at least cut the level of lighting in half or something...) Can't play a game when you don't even like to see screenshots from it!
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:30 PM
Tempscire - agreed. When I first saw the screens for ts3, the characters reminded me of those off of 'the sims 2 busting out' for ps2. Definately not what one would expect, but then again, that's the way a lot of graphics are now a days....

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:32 PM
I personally like the graphics... but that's not the main thing that atracts me, its the seamless world and traits that do.
Alchemist
#13 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:59 PM
I won't hold off at all, I'm probably going to rush to the game shop the day it comes out. I think what really got me was all the new things you can do compared to TS2 (Being able to change furniture/clothes colour in game with virtually no experience)
#14 Old 16th May 2009 at 8:12 PM
I still plan to play TS2, but I'm looking forward to all of the new features and being able to create Sims who have more complex personalities and who can live more interesting lives than what is currently available in TS2.
#15 Old 16th May 2009 at 8:36 PM
I'll definitely be getting it the first day it comes out. I am so pumped for the game, I actually wish there was going to be a midnight release of it. Even if it means going to sleep when I get home from work, sleeping until it would be time to go to the store and staying up the rest of the night playing, I would. Then again, I haven't played TS2 in ages (I'm just now re-installing the game to play it some before TS3 comes out). It's the seamless world that attracts me to the game, too.
Alchemist
#16 Old 16th May 2009 at 8:57 PM
I'll probably take TS2 off my computer when I install TS3. Haven't played TS2 in a long time, anyway.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 16th May 2009 at 9:25 PM
I still play TS2, and I have a pre-order of TS3 (my mom got it for me for Christmas, even though I told her I didn't want it...). While I will pick up my pre-ordered copy, since now I'm more open to the Sims 3 idea, I won't install it until after some players give feedback on it. I'm not entirely sold on how the Sims look, and I do NOT like the idea that we can't create neighborhoods yet.

I'm also a TS2 CC addict and don't know if I can go back to old EA skins, lifeless eyes, silly clown-looking make-up, etc.

I really love the traits system, all the little details (like I saw someone said that they think we can choose between left- and right-handedness for Sims now), and the seamless neighborhood, though, so that's a major plus for installation for me 8D I just want to give it all some time and find out if it's worth getting rid of all my Sims 2 CC and EPs.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 16th May 2009 at 9:37 PM
i'm not getting it straight away.
theres so many aspects of ts2 that i have still yet to play and explore. despite having the game since realease (and all eps within the 1st week of release) never have i had a sim from cradle to old-age grave, i've never had any of the creatures (witch, werewolf, plantsim, vamp ectt), i've never owned a successful business, i've never lived in a aparment, never played a sim throuht college, there actually so many thing i havn't done and achieved in my game that i still want to do. yes i sometimes find the sims 2 boring but i will not get rid of it until i have fully 'played' the game and enojyed it. but i do think i'll buy it eventually, even if i buy it in june'09 time and done even play it till around xmas this year.
i'm going to miss ts2

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 16th May 2009 at 9:37 PM
I'd really like to get it right off the bat, and I like the things I've read about TS3, but after Spore. . . yeah, I'm soured on getting brand new games after buying that $50 coaster.
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 16th May 2009 at 11:22 PM
Do you all reckon that people will stop creating sims 2 CC and having sims 2 contests? If so, then I probably will leave the forums.... after a loong year, (well, almost a year). Kinda sad really. and like simcharley said, I've never done half of that stuff either. Actually, I don't think I've ever had a sim die from old age...... And even though UNI was the first ep I got way back when, I have only played a handful of sims through college. I played a business lot for maybe 1 sim week. I took a sim on vacation for only like 1 sim day. I've only visited down town a couple of times. Yes.... I play sims 2, but I've never "played" sims 2. And again, like simcharley, I would love to play the game, playing every aspect. I think I should whip the slate clean, start up a single legacy... have em all go to college, have some live in a buisiness hood, some down town, make them go on seasonal vacations, etc.....

#21 Old 16th May 2009 at 11:50 PM
As much as I don't want to, I'm holding off from buying it. I need to be able to afford to upgrade my computer first xD Plus, I want to see reviews and whatnot to see if it's even worth it Plus, if the TS2 community goes down the drain I'd be more likely to buy it sooner. *crosses fingers because I can't afford it right now xD*
#22 Old 16th May 2009 at 11:57 PM
I'm feeling pretty confident right now that I will in fact pre-order it in the next couple of days. Every single major issue and objection I and many others have had against Sims 3, such as DRM, aging, bugs, story progression, moods and needs and autonomy have been tackled to the point where it's again possible to customize things to get it the way you like. The Sims is, afterall, about freedom of creation and play, not restricting people to a specific style. I think it's really nice the way EA has, even though they haven't said it out publicly, sort of admitted to that they were wrong in that they have in fact changed it and tweaked it to suit the needs of all the player groups!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:04 AM
I have been looking forward to The Sims 3. I think it's going to be like when The Sims 2 came out for me. I am going to leave the old Sims for the new Sims. I have already pre-ordered my copy. The game looks like a lot of fun, and I really love the seamless neighborhood. I have literally been counting down the days until it comes out. I thought I might keep the Sims 2 installs for a while, but I think I will go ahead and uninstall it once I make sure that The Sims 3 works fine on my computer.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:12 AM
I honestly won't be buying the game until at least August because there are other things I want to purchase with my money besides TS3. I like the idea of waiting because at least at that point we'll probably know of any bugs or issues that might arise with the game. I am still really excited for the game though!
Scholar
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:30 AM
lol, it's almost kinda sad to hear about how everyone's gonna just toss ts2 aside. I guess that not everyone got stuck to it and kept interest over the last 5 years though ...

Page 1 of 7