Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#26 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:33 AM
I'm buying TS3 the day it comes out but that doesn't mean I'm leaving TS2 behind. I'm very attached to my sims and while I know at first I'll be absorbed in TS3 I know I'll eventually start playing them both. I'll definitely be missing my custom content quite a bit but it's great that TS3 allows you to make your own.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:33 AM
My biggest pet peeve with ts2 was that I had to play every house in order for my sims to age. In the end, it's probably why I stopped playing all my families. It was too much work to jump from house to house after every week of gameplay so no sim got left behind when others aged up.

Since ts3 solves that problem for me, I can't see myself going back to ts2. Ever. Just like I never went back to ts1. Personally, I have a feeling ts3 is going to be my favorite of the three games. I like everything I've seen of it (except the lack of elf ears of course), and I know once I get my hands on it I will love it so much more than I already do!
#28 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clw8
lol, it's almost kinda sad to hear about how everyone's gonna just toss ts2 aside. I guess that not everyone got stuck to it and kept interest over the last 5 years though ...

I'm going to hand them all over to my cousins

And interestingly... Sims 2 sales are actually up in recent weeks. The game stores are pushing lots of expansions etc. at a low price.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:47 AM
I just got around to buying all of the EPs and am working on buying the SPs as well. I expect to get another couple of years of play out of the game as well...

I agree with most of the reasons for holding off buying Sims3. For me it is a long-standing aversion to buying a program that is first run. I think I may wait until the bugs are discovered and patched...

Just call me Bigirish, okay?
#30 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:58 AM
I loved loved loved The Sims 2, and as a result, I played it way too much... so much so that it is not fun any more, and hearing about what is possible in The Sims 3 makes me giddy. I think those that stick with TS2 will be sorely missing out, but it is their choice. Just as TS1 became incredibly hollow when TS2 was released, the same can be said now, and while it does not seem like that big a jump, it is to those who consider all the important changes, minor and major.
#31 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by guardianpegasus
I'm going to hand them all over to my cousins

And interestingly... Sims 2 sales are actually up in recent weeks. The game stores are pushing lots of expansions etc. at a low price.

Interesting xD I remember buying the Sims 1 just before the Sims 2 came out because I was so excited that I couldn't wait, so maybe that's why (plus being on sale)? I only have 2 TS2 expansions.. maybe now or in the near future is the time to buy.. hmm.. :P
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 17th May 2009 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by prettiammie2005
My biggest pet peeve with ts2 was that I had to play every house in order for my sims to age.

Exactly. Having to play some background family just to have it on the same page as the more interesting families is boring. Hopefully the AI is as good as advertised and those families will run in the background without major stupidity-induced calamities. Not that I mind occasional calamities.

A lurking translator who goes stealthily converting text strings into finnish when he feels like doing that, which is very rarely.
Test Subject
#33 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:39 PM
Originally, I was weary of Sims 3 and believed I'd be sticking exclusively to Sims 2, or at least until I had a good amount of information that it was better than I thought. Then I started watching all the promotional videos and reading through forums such as these for other opinions. Slowly a lot of the aspects of sims 3 that once horrified me, like simultaneously ageing, really grew on me.

Anyway, my lovely husband preordered it for me, so I don't have any choice in the matter now, but I'm glad he did. I can always return it if I don't like it but that seems unlikely.
Instructor
#34 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:47 PM
I like the Sims2, it's just after playing it regularly since early 2006 I feel liked I've pretty much explored the game to the fullest. At this point whenever I play the Sims2 (which I still do), it feels repetitive. I've had every personality combination that is possible. I've explored all the careers and creatures and all the different aspects of every EP. I'm ready to move on. Not because the Sims2 is a bad game or anything, I'm just ready for something new.

Personally, most everything I have read about the Sims3 has really appealed to me. I love that sims will be able to just walk where ever you want them to now without having to wait for it to load. A lot of times I would never even have my sims ever leave their house (especially if the family was big and took up a lot of attention), because the loading screens are just annoying. Then it would bother me that they never left, because how realistic is that?

I also love the fact that all the other sims are going to age when I am not playing them. It drove me crazy that generation after generation of sims could have the same childhood friends (while FreeTime helped a little bit with this, it still wasn't enough). That was a big reason I didn't like to play past Generation 3 of a family. After awhile it just got ridiculous to me that only these select families would age and no one else ever would.

I'm also really excited about the trait system. At this point after playing the game for three years, I've seen every personality that the Sims2 can offer many times over. At this point, the sims themselves aren't really that exciting to me since everytime I play with them none of them feel individual to me anymore.

I also actually like the way the new sims look and while custom content is fun and adds a lot of variety to the game, for me it has never been esstential. I often play with no CC at all and that is how I am playing the Sims2 right now. I have no problem jumping right into the game with nothing but Eaxis stuff in it. Speaking of CC, another thing I am very excited about is that we won't have to download several recolors of every single mesh anymore. I love that we will be able to color most anything from eyes to couches with a color wheel. I hated having a million recolors taking up all that room in my game.

So for me the Sims3 seems an improvement in almost everyway on the Sims2 (and I didn't even mention how much more realistic skill building and friend making in the Sims3 seems to be). Though I can certainly see people sticking with Sims2 as well since there are many people that came to the game later than I did and maybe have not explored it to it's fullest yet or people with long established families and neighborhoods that they are still enjoying. I say if the Sims2 is still giving you enjoyment and you aren't ready to leave it, then you certainly shouldn't. For me though the Sims2 is just about all played out. I still have a little family going, but they don't interest me the way my families of a couple years ago did. I really can't wait to get the Sims3 and start exploring a sim game to the fullest again.
#35 Old 17th May 2009 at 1:53 PM
I already pre-orderd the Sims 3! So exited about it! At first i wasn't seeing the first pictures and all. But what an improvement... Can't wait!

I kinda thinks Sims 2 is still fun but it gets boring if I'm not doing my legacy challenge.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clw8
lol, it's almost kinda sad to hear about how everyone's gonna just toss ts2 aside. I guess that not everyone got stuck to it and kept interest over the last 5 years though ...

Not everyone is going to toss it.

Yes, yes, Sims 3 reportedly doesn't have Securom, and EA has addressed many of the initial concerns about the game, such as aging, but it's still a no-sale for me for now. I'm not saying that I won't ever buy it, but the game still doesn't interest me to the point where I'm panting, "More, more!"

Right now, I'm in the middle of encountering problems with a video card and Sims 2. I won't go into details. This card SUPPOSEDLY works well with the game, but it's just not working with mine. It's not custom content. It's not other computer glitches. The technician and I ruled all of that out, after much time and expense. I've brought the problem up with other tech-savvy people. It's the card.

I truly enjoy Sims 2, though I play it a lot less now because of the video card hassles. I really do like The Sims. The game has never lost its fascination for me because there are oh-so-many wonderful free creators who ensured that the game never became stale. But this game has also given me a whole lot of headaches since I started playing it in 2006. (I'm a "late bloomer" to the series, I guess.) Crashes, error messages, sudden losses of neighborhoods for no obvious reason (thank goodness for backup disks!), other sudden strange things happening in-game, etc. etc. It's not always content, though yes, frequently, it is. The game itself is prone to bugs. I do the usual computer maintenance recommendations, patch my game, etc. The game just does weird things sometimes, even if one IS careful!

I just don't know if the Sims 3 will be more of the same ... or worse. And I can't see how this game will be bug-free initially. So I'm holding off. I do believe that like others here, I will wait at least a year or so before I plunk down $50 US to find out.

Also, I'm still rather disillusioned with EA's stances on pay content. I've been burned because of poor pay content. I've seen the animosity certain pay sites have caused over the years in the Sims community, and am sickened by it. EA had the chance to address this situation, and seemingly has ignored the repercussions. At the very, very least, EA should have insisted that all for-pay creations be registered with EA and be of top quality, that the creations' specs (such as poly counts) be thoroughly listed with an un-photoshopped picture, that consumer complaints and problems with the content be addressed ethically, efficiently and promptly, that pricing not exceed a certain amount. It hasn't, as far as I know.

If the situation is bad now, what will it be with Sims 3? I know there will be free sites. But how invasive will pay sites be?

So count me as one more holdout. I hope those of you who get the Sims 3 have a great time exploring the game, and that it's bug-free. But I think I'll observe you first.

And by the way, there will still be Sims 2 sites for a while. There are Sims 1 sites still around, and yes, several people still play it! But the number and amounts of new downloads will dwindle considerably in time, just like Sims 1.
#37 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:42 PM
Quote:
I loved loved loved The Sims 2, and as a result, I played it way too much... so much so that it is not fun any more, and hearing about what is possible in The Sims 3 makes me giddy.

LOL that's just like myself. I played hours on end every day for like a year, then occasionally I did bouts that lasted a couple of months at a time, and now I'm pretty burnt out, but Sims 3 is making me giddy too, so many new things, new graphics engine, better animations etc. etc. etc. And now that the major issues I had with it have also been tackled, I'm drooling at all the new gameplay videos

Quote:
I think those that stick with TS2 will be sorely missing out, but it is their choice. Just as TS1 became incredibly hollow when TS2 was released, the same can be said now, and while it does not seem like that big a jump, it is to those who consider all the important changes, minor and major.

Not having played Sims 2 for a while, merely LOOKING at Sims 3 videos has made Sims 2 feel hollow for me. I'm glad it's finally here. Sims 2 was getting quite outdated, and for me, played out in terms of content... the more different types of games etc. I played the more I realized TS2 was really showing it's age, and limited range of character behavior and animation, as well as the graphic engine and game engine.
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 17th May 2009 at 2:56 PM
I'm not buying it! Absolutely not!

...I'm getting a free copy, courtesy of EA instead. :D

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
#39 Old 17th May 2009 at 3:29 PM
OMG! You sell-off!
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 17th May 2009 at 3:36 PM
What can I say? I enjoyed my day at the Hands-On event, and due to the problems that happened, they offered a free copy. Who am I to turn down such an offering? :D

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Instructor
#41 Old 17th May 2009 at 3:51 PM
SilentPsycho is very lucky! :P
Alchemist
#42 Old 17th May 2009 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
I'll probably take TS2 off my computer when I install TS3. Haven't played TS2 in a long time, anyway.

I actually have removed it from one of my computers(my main one). I haven't played it in months. It's still onmy son's computer if I ever want to go and play it, but I doubt it. I'm already scheduled off work June 2nd, so I can pick it up and commence to playing
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:20 PM
I have no choice but to hold off on it until I can afford to get a new computer. And that won't be until another year or so. So sad...
Field Researcher
#44 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:24 PM
I'm torn, I will get it... its just a matter of when. I know for a fact I won't be getting it till atleast the end of June (big project that I'll never finish if I get the game). I also played TS2 as a vanilla base game recently and it made me want to cry, so I'm wary of TS3 in base game form. So perhaps I'll wait for the first expansion. On the other hand I'd like to try to learn to mod as the community discovers how, so maybe I should get it right away. I dunno, a lot will depend on the reaction of the community.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:30 PM
I'll be rushing out to buy it at the first opportunity that arises on June 2nd. I've enjoyed my time with TS2, but the elements of TS3 are what I've dreamed of in a Sims game all along, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm thinking of selling all my TS2 games on Ebay once I'm absolutely sure that I won't play them again.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#46 Old 17th May 2009 at 4:51 PM
i'm not buying it at the second it arrives in the stores here (i guess Brasil's release date is 05/06) because i have university tests that exact week! *cries like a baby*

i'm enthusiastic for TS3 because in the latest year, i think i've downloaded cc more than i played the game. it is sad, i know, but i don't have that kind of attachment to my sims as some people have; everytime i load the game, i don't really know what to do or which (sp?) family to play and i end up creating another family, leave it in the simbin and quit.

i'll instal TS3 in my laptop, so i'll still have TS2 in my desktop. but if it my laptop, for any reason, can't handle it, i'll move it to my pc and it will be byebye for TS2. but i don't feel confortable leaving it behind. ._.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 17th May 2009 at 5:11 PM
I wasn't planning on getting TS3 at first, partly because I resented that I had spent so much on the Sims 2 games and didn't want to give them up. (I like to get my money's worth!) Plus I am sitting exams when it comes out in the UK and they don't finish until nearly a week afterwards, and it would be a big distraction for me, especially from my science tests which I just need to knuckle down and revise hard for.

But then I started researching the new features and the disk-space it would take up and all that, and realised that really I did want it. What can I say? I'm fickle like that. So my parents have it pre-ordered for me, and I can get hold of it as soon as my last exam finishes. I am so excited about that!

To be honest, I think that the Sims 2 has lost a lot of the charm it used to have for me; I've done so many things in the game dozens of times, and it does get really samey when you play the same game for 5 years without a break. I still have a certain attachment to it, admittedly, but nothing the Sims 3 can't imitate or improve upon.

"Life isn’t like coursework, baby. It’s one damn essay crisis after another."
Boris Johnson

"By Jove! Which is always to say, by myself."
Caligula; I, Claudius
Test Subject
#48 Old 17th May 2009 at 11:48 PM
Nope, not me. I'm buying it first day.

I bought Sims 2 the first day it was out, and have been playing it ever since. After that much play, I'm just tired of it. I'm tired of jumping between families to age them, especially when you have multiple generations spread throughout a neighbourhood. (I once had one Sim end up marrying his dead grandfather's ex-wife, who hadn't aged a day since they split.) I'm tired of constant loading screens. I'm tired of having to download full custom content sets if I want furniture that matches. (I love custom content, but I hate having to rely on it and having to go searching every time I want a new recolour.) I'm tired of Sims that all act 90% the same.

I wanted to kill off the characters I created when I first started playing Sims 2, since most of them I had stopped playing to focus on one family generation or another, before I got Sims 3. I've done that now, except for one remaining elder. Once I'm done with her, I'm uninstalling Sims 2 and not looking back.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 17th May 2009 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fobok
I'm tired of Sims that all act 90% the same.

And there you have it in a nutshell. This is the primary reason that I'm moving to TS3- I've always wanted my sims to be more individualistic and have more personality.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
#50 Old 18th May 2009 at 1:04 AM
I still love my TS2, but it's certainly true that in many ways there aren't many personality differences between Sims, though it's certainly gotten better with EPs and stuff such as One True Hobbies, etc. The way I've always kept it interesting is by assigning personalities to them. This Sim plays violin (never mind that a Sim who has Music & Dance enthusiasm won't care whether it's a violin or a piano or dance bar). This Sim gardens. This Sim wants to be a novelist. Occasionally it seems like Sims will really have special personalities of their own -- I've had Sims who seem to do certain things all of the time or react the same way in certain situations. But I think a lot of that is just me trying to make them be more distinct and original.

So I am really looking forward to seeing how TS3 expands on these personalities. I'm sure a lot of is still going to be our own imaginations (and really? it's probably better that way) but I think with traits and dreams and various other aspects of the game it's going to be a lot more fun to let our Sims take over. Honestly, I don't care how much some people think that the Sims is all about controlling every aspect of your Sim's life -- you're so wrong. I love to micromanage, but there's a difference. The real enjoyment of playing the Sims is when they do things that totally surprise you. People say playing the Sims is like playing God, but in most religions, God gives human beings a great degree of free will, and then it's up to them to figure out what to do, with some interventions.
Page 2 of 7