Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:08 AM
Simulated Superiority
I've seen many people complaining about the AI in the Sims 3. Saying that the AI does not make the characters the geniuses EA led us to believe. On the contrary. In the world of the Sims, there is no racism, no ignorant bigotry, no oppression, very little crime, and they have never had a major war. The population is kept at a comfortable number, nature is in abundance, abortion is unnecessary, women have always had equal pay, and gay marriage is legal and widely accepted. In the world of the Sims, one is judged purely on the quality of their character. Not by their appearance, the color of their skin, religious affiliation, hobbies, interests, or tastes. You are judged based on nothing other than who you are, and you are treated as you treat others.
So does the Sims 3 have poor AI? I should say not. They're smarter than us!
Thoughts?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:20 AM
They live in their own little Utopia, lucky devils.
Instructor
#3 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:28 AM
Yes but the poor little things are at our mercy.... We can seal them in rooms and elimate them....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sidheed
Yes but the poor little things are at our mercy.... We can seal them in rooms and elimate them....

That would be amusing if that was the root of all our problems, wouldn't it? The world is in terrible shape because we're all at the mercy of a 12 year old brat on his parent's computer.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:33 AM
They're not going to include all of that stuff. It would be an entirely different game with an entirely different purpose.
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:34 AM
Huh include all what stuff?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heavenzdvl987
They're not going to include all of that stuff. It would be an entirely different game with an entirely different purpose.

I am assuming you're referring to the lack of issues I mentioned in the topic. I don't think it would make it an entirely different game at all. The Sims is after all a life simulator. And those things are a major part of life. I think they just left out life's major issues to keep the game from sucking as much as reality. Hell, the primary reason I play the Sims is to take a break from reality.
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:44 AM
Also if that is what you mean, none of us were suggesting that it should be included.
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 11:12 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way about Sims 3

And we should be glad that Sim AI is still as bad as it reportedly is. Cause if it was perfect, we could build self-aware robots and we all know what THAT leads to!
Instructor
#10 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:08 PM
Sims live in a Utopia, but they pay for it by being my little hamsters.

Their world is a cage. They must suffer the consequences of my whims. They have no real power and are quite lucky that I am a benevolent god(dess).
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:19 PM
I partially disagree. I think the AI in Sims 3 is fine, I don't think it sucks. And when EA can include more and more bad things of real life, I think it really enriches the game play. Like ageing and death, that were not 100% present in the original game. I've said in other topics, I think it would be great fun if some sims reacted with shock to homosexuality. There could even be a want or fear of "coming out" '=D Also pregnancy in teen years would be very cool.

Nice things of life also make the game cool, I think. Like in the Sims 2 you click somewhere outdoors and you can watch clouds or stars.
Does everybody agree the bubble blower is an euphemism for drugs?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:24 PM
The lack of realism does not imply intelligence, it merely implies a lack of realism. Intelligence on the part of the sims themselves would be if they revolted against our leadership, and simply packed up and moved or deleted themselves!

Holy crap, maybe EAxis is onto something!? Is it possible our sims have evolved and are no longer accepting our input? My sims keep dissappearing in Sims 3! Maybe it's a FEATURE!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bad-and-ugly
I've said in other topics, I think it would be great fun if some sims reacted with shock to homosexuality.

I personally think that would be about as much fun as some sims reacting with shock upon seeing a couple of sims being romantically involved even though their skintones are from different sliders.

In other words: I highly disagree with you.
Instructor
#14 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 9:54 PM
bad- and Ugly

I think the problem with including some content is that they could be accused of encouraging the kind of behaviour in people. Especially with teenage pregnancy.

Can you also imagine the outcry from some of the gay community if they did have anything negative about their sexuality in a game?

I agree it could add some nice touches to the game, but unfortunately we live in a society where people would take too much offence for a multitude of reasons.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM
As I said in the other thread, the AI isn't that wonderful. Yes, the sims are more autonomous, but most of the stuff is hardcoded by traits. Instead of giving you more creative freedom with a character, they're essentially restrictions. But these restrictions simulate AI by adding certain checks. I'm a total noob at coding, but coding lines could be as simple as this;

If Sim=(neatfreak) And toilet=(dirty), End toilet interaction => moodlet "filthy environment"

else

Execute toilet interaction

Or they will give extra/less value to something. Like if you have an athletic sim, his gain of the athletic stat is 1.25 times faster (just an example). Outward appearance is "Hey look guys my Sim is jogging around the neighborhood and cause he's athletic he gets an extra good workout, look at that great AI at work".
Test Subject
#16 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM
Thank goodness for a world with no bigotry ... and no taxes! I want to play Sims to get away from all the nastiness in the world, not wallow in it. On a more positive note, I can't wait to see what zany things the Sims do based on their character traits!!
Test Subject
#17 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate
In the world of the Sims, abortion is unnecessary

Presumably you havn't been hearing about the random baby spawn that occurs then? If there was one thing from the real world more necessary in the sim one than abortion then I don't know what it could be!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate
I've seen many people complaining about the AI in the Sims 3. Saying that the AI does not make the characters the geniuses EA led us to believe. On the contrary. In the world of the Sims, there is no racism, no ignorant bigotry, no oppression, very little crime, and they have never had a major war. The population is kept at a comfortable number, nature is in abundance, abortion is unnecessary, women have always had equal pay, and gay marriage is legal and widely accepted. In the world of the Sims, one is judged purely on the quality of their character. Not by their appearance, the color of their skin, religious affiliation, hobbies, interests, or tastes. You are judged based on nothing other than who you are, and you are treated as you treat others.

So does the Sims 3 have poor AI? I should say not. They're smarter than us!
Thoughts?

And yet... For all these "good qualities" (I use quotes because it'd be dumb for EA to even dream of coding those problems) ... They still won't stop playing on the computer to feed themselves before they're near starving.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:35 PM
Yes buying a computer is one of the worst things you can do, still. You're better off letting your sims watch tv or read books. At least sims will learn recipes from the tv, and gain stuff from reading books, but a sim on the computer will always default to playing games, which net no benefit.
Instructor
#20 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:37 PM
Don't let Crumplebottom here you talking like that Devils. She'll call you a hussy, hit you over the head with the simbible and pass out right wing pamphlets to your children.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shikonah
They still won't stop playing on the computer to feed themselves before they're near starving.

I do this all the time, so in my book it's a perfect example of realism in the game!

Field Researcher
#22 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:45 PM
lol I'd have them watch TV but they always change the channel to the Romance station and still don't learn anything! >< So I just give them the PC that they want anyhow and hope they DO die of starvation from being dumb.

That's why you're supposed to pack food for yourself when you're about to hit a gaming session *coughWOWcoughcough* so you don't keel over and die or something.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:46 PM
GTA is very enriched by all the nonviolent interactions that are added to it with every new version of it. Things outside the primary gameplay of stealing cars and killing people. But GTA is f***ed up already, so of course they really add that other stuff to really make the game better, not as a way to diminish the negative impact.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that I expect the Sims to one day include things even remotely similar to GTA, like teen pregnancy and mild homophobia (does GTA even have that?). But specially the mild homophobia thing could come out very funny, in that Sims humour style '=)

Does anybody agree the bubble blower is an euphemism for drugs? This is not my signature, I'm really asking '=)
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 10:54 PM
Ok it is not as bad as I posted above but it's still pretty bad :D. Just get frustrated when advertisements blow things way out of proportion and you have these sneak peaks with developers that just don't tell the truth. Stuff like Liam O'Dourke I think it was, the nerd and hopeless romantic. How he's sitting in front of his laptop secretly in love. That just doesn't happen. He'll be in love when you get them to interact a lot, and it sure as heck wont be a secret :D. Traits don't open a magical gateway to super-smart sims is what I'm meaning to say.
Instructor
#25 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shikonah
...They still won't stop playing on the computer to feed themselves before they're near starving.

This is like me IRL.
Page 1 of 2