Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Default Replacement Eyes

by Syera Posted 27th Jun 2009 at 11:32 AM - Updated 5th Jul 2009 at 9:36 PM by Syera

57 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 49 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 1:13 PM Last edited by harryishere : 28th Jun 2009 at 6:23 PM.
could you tell me what the dds file for the eyes is called, and also when you have to change the texture what colour do you have to do it or does it not matter.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 1:18 PM
These are beautiful, Syera! Love the subtle shine. I think this is the one I've been waiting for, for my game.

harryishere - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=345670 ... I have the defaults attached to one of my posts in that thread so you can get the type/group/instance stuff and make your own based on them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#4 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 1:30 PM
I didn't really notice a difference, but I tried them in game to see if maybe I would. I still don't see the difference, in game they look exactly the same as the defaults.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 2:54 PM
Love these eyes. :lovestruc I think I've finally chosen which eye set I want in my game

Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
I didn't really notice a difference, but I tried them in game to see if maybe I would. I still don't see the difference, in game they look exactly the same as the defaults.

There's more tone in Syera's eyes - They're not just flat-looking like the originals in the game. You can see how shiny and lit up they are in the comparison pics. Or, at least, I can.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by harryishere
please tell me how you made these

With PSP, one Color layer, three Luminance layers, and four Normal layers. Actual shading techniques were something like this or this, only with an added iris and pupil.

Oh, and S3PE and tutorials, which HP linked to.

Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxism
These are beautiful, Syera! Love the subtle shine. I think this is the one I've been waiting for, for my game.

Yay! :D

Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless

I trust you deleted your cache files...

But yeah, the difference isn't immense. Mainly, they just look a bit shinier and have better contrast than the TS3 default. (Also, the pupils are a little smaller.) I hadn't really even planned on doing this, but someone requested it. I'm glad I did, though, because I can notice the difference, and I find it an improvement. :P
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:42 PM
WOW!, these are really good defaults, I love them!, thanks for sharing

Now my sims look more alive :p
Theorist
#8 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 8:00 PM
Syera, I am so glad you did these because while the difference is subtle, it definitely gives their eyes more life! I'm also using one of HP's set of default replacement skins and I think these are going to be a perfect match!

Quote:

If you deleted your cache files and still don't see a difference, it could be your video card. After I downloaded HP's default replacements (the non-shiny ones) I didn't notice any difference either until I installed a new video card, and then all of a sudden my Sims took on a whole new look.
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 8:01 PM
Can I ask which files you altered to make these. I have three files for eyes and I did one and they won't work, yours look good. I think I might have to edit more than one file, can you give me a tip here and tell me which you used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangreless

For one thing the pupils are much smaller
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 8:55 PM
Which Cache do you clear? The one in your personal folder or the one in the game folder?
Scholar
#11 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzicube
Which Cache do you clear? The one in your personal folder or the one in the game folder?

MyDocuments/electronicarts/sims3

You should see 4 files in there that end in the word cache, delete all of them but nothing else.

Now see the world caches folder, go in there and delete what's in there, that will give you a clean start without deleting anything you need
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 4:07 AM
Fantastic! Now there's life in my sims' eyes.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 4:57 AM
i see a difference and i think they are slightly creepy actually. No offence, just not my style. i like big pupils (and i can-not lie).

i'm using the first eyes that came out still. I love them.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 6:29 AM
It's a subtle change but it makes a wonderful difference I really like it. Thanks for putting in the hard work
Instructor
#15 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 9:50 AM
Good job, the original large pupils give the Sims a look of someone on drugs.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
MyDocuments/electronicarts/sims3

You should see 4 files in there that end in the word cache, delete all of them but nothing else.

Now see the world caches folder, go in there and delete what's in there, that will give you a clean start without deleting anything you need

Would this be the "DCCache, CAsPartCache.package, simCompositorCache.package" ?

Also I don't find anything that says "World caches". I am looking in MyDocuments/electronicarts/sims3.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Island Girl
Would this be the "DCCache, CAsPartCache.package, simCompositorCache.package" ?

Also I don't find anything that says "World caches". I am looking in MyDocuments/electronicarts/sims3.

simCompositorCache
compositorCache
scriptcache
CasPartCache

That's the four you can delete.

Life isn't about the breaths we take, it's about the moments that take our breaths away...
Inventor
#18 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suzicube

The only one you should have to delete for these to show up on existing sims would be the simCompositorCache.package. I did that when I swithed to Aikea's eyes. Now I will alternate between these because I love Aikea's as well. Thanks
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 11:06 AM
I can't believe some people expressing ingratitude and being picky, these eyes are fantastic and of course the change should be subtle!
I think you have done an amazing job and I am so greatful to have your work in my game for free!!! Thank you so much
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 5:32 PM
I would like to download them...but I don't usually like to override the defaults. >.< They're very nice though. Congrats and keep it up
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 12:23 AM
using these replacement eyes, i can still go in CAS and play around with the colour to get my ideal look like normal, right?

Chicken Scratch
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:19 PM
you've done a great job and im looking at my 'caches' folder and there are two files in there

sunset valley.object cache objectcachefile 1,003,277 KB
TCC_version textdocument 1 KB

i'm scared if i delete the sunset vally i'll screw up my game..so i need you to tell me either 'heck no don't do that you'll ruin your game' or 'yea delete it the eyes will replace the ones on already made sims and you won't lose everything you hold dear'

thanks so much i'm staring at the folder now..soo..the quickest response would be appreciated..before i do sumthin stoopid..lol..BUT THESE ARE LOVELY AND THANKS!
Test Subject
#23 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 11:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScorpioMaurus
The only one you should have to delete for these to show up on existing sims would be the simCompositorCache.package. I did that when I swithed to Aikea's eyes. Now I will alternate between these because I love Aikea's as well. Thanks

Thanks, ScorpioMaurus, I was just wondering the same thing. I mean, not that I don't mind deleting something to get it to work but I was figuring that surely it wouldn't have to be all 4. :D

"If you wanna make the world better place...take a look at yourself and make that change." -- Man In the Mirror, Michael Jackson

Love ya always, R.I.P
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 4:08 AM
I royally screwed up my game when I read and followed instructions telling me to delete what was in the WorldCaches folder. DON'T DO THAT!!!

Turns out that the WorldCaches folder is where some very needed files for Riverview are stored! Delete them and you end up with all kinds of borked up street and family names!

What you can delete safely is:

Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/simCompositorCache.package

This file holds default data for your sims. It rebuilds itself with your new defaults when you restart your game.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 5:20 AM
oooh okie day i was in program files not my documents..SOO GLAD i asked first..eyes work and look great in game..love the smaller pupils now my sims dnt look perpetually stoned with the huge dialated pupils hehe thanks again byeee
Page 1 of 3