Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Euro-type Street Default Replacement Set

by Misty_2004 Posted 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:12 PM

42 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 37 Feedback Posts, 4 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:22 PM
does the interchangable mean i can have the darker blacktop and the yellow lines(default)

Martin Truex Jr. #56
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:22 PM
YES YES YES YES!!! I LOVE THIS!! *Downloads* I hate Maxis' stuff!
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:32 PM
Thank you so much!

downloading...
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:34 PM
I already downloaded these from bogsims but I want to thank you here too :]
Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RiBlan

Hahaha, I totally agree with you!!

THANKYOU for this, I will definitely use it!!! Excellent job!!
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 11:16 PM
Haha. It's weird of the things you don't think of when you're from America! It never even occurred to me that the streets might look odd. Is it weird having the cars drive on the right (read: opposite left) side of the road?
Instructor
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:08 AM
This is pretty useful. I have no idea what European streets look like, being from Canada myself, but I like the colours here better.

Also:

Quote: Originally posted by Jabilian12345
Haha. It's weird of the things you don't think of when you're from America! It never even occurred to me that the streets might look odd. Is it weird having the cars drive on the right (read: opposite left) side of the road?

Actually, the game takes into account which region you're from when you install the game. So if you're from the UK, your cars will appear on the right side. If you're from the US, the left. This is the one thing EA did right, methinks.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:30 AM
Umm, we actually drive on the left here in the uk!

Question:
Would it be possible to have yellow lines at the edges of the roads in some streets, like in the main town for example?
Just a thought, as we have a lot of double yellow lines here!

I like work, it fascinates me.
I could sit & watch it all day!

Simmodders UK
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:33 AM
Thanks! I can have darker roads. :D

The voices in my head say you're the weird one.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:48 AM
Wow! I love it such a little change that makes a huge difference!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:52 AM
OOh. This means its possible to have other types of roads too, I guess? On my wishlist: dirtroads and cobblestone. I guess my medieval hood will be reborn, maybe sooner than I thought
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 4:16 AM
I just love this -dies and goes to sim heaven- (JK on the dieing part)

Can't wait to see this in game
Test Subject
#14 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:16 AM
i never noticed how ugly the default roads were, until i saw these new ones!! a must-have!!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 7:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sadisticpyro
This is pretty useful. I have no idea what European streets look like, being from Canada myself, but I like the colours here better.

Also:

Actually, the game takes into account which region you're from when you install the game. So if you're from the UK, your cars will appear on the right side. If you're from the US, the left. This is the one thing EA did right, methinks.

Not true I'm from South Africa, we drive on the left, same as as the UK, but..... my simmies drive on the right. And yep in SA the roads look more like the european version in this download so this will be great to have.
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:02 AM
Amazing what difference a color change makes
Can’t wait to see what they look like in my game
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:32 AM
Wow! I logged on this evening not realizing this had yet been approved for uploading. So, here goes the answer session:

Quote:
does the interchangable mean i can have the darker blacktop and the yellow lines(default)

Yes, that's what that means. Just don't install the file named bsi_rc_defaultreplacement-streetstripes-euro.package and you will have yellow stripes.

Quote:

Maxis no longer exists. The Sims belongs totally to EA now.

Quote:
I already downloaded these from bogsims but I want to thank you here too

You're very welcome! And I wasn't allowed to say it in the initial post, but I also have some other funky default replacements at our site including money tree replacements and a baby bottle replacement that isn't all icky green. But you probably already knew that.

Quote:
Haha. It's weird of the things you don't think of when you're from America!

Ah, but I AM from the United States, and our roads, at least in this part of the country, look nothing like the default roads in TS3! Seriously, I'm beginning to think all of the yellow-gray in TS3 is some sort of tribute to Sims peeing all over the place in previous games, since they're much less prone to that in TS3. Back in the olden days, we even had white stripes down the middle of all our roads. Now we have the orange stripes on two-ways, with white stripes on one-ways. I have always missed those white lines, even more so because I hate that yellow color, which is school bus yellow. We have solid white stripes alongside the outside edges of the roads for "fog lines." Seriously, in bad fog those lines are the only thing that will keep you from driving right off the road.

Quote:
Would it be possible to have yellow lines at the edges of the roads in some streets, like in the main town for example?
Just a thought, as we have a lot of double yellow lines here!

Actually, I think it would be possible to have yellow lines at the edges, but all streets in your town have to be of the same design since they all pull from the exact same textures, and those textures lay over each other in some pretty bizarre ways. As soon as I get my head pulled out of playing (may be a day or three), I'll look into it.

Quote:
OOh. This means its possible to have other types of roads too, I guess? On my wishlist: dirtroads and cobblestone. I guess my medieval hood will be reborn, maybe sooner than I thought

Not to worry--they are already on my to-do list. I will most likely upload them to BogSims when they're finished since it takes so long for files to get approved here.

And to the rest of you, you're welcome!
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:54 AM
This is great, now if only there were bicycle paths, Tram tracks, and a hint of cobblestone, it could appear down right Dutch. I can't wait to see your replacements in game, and am looking forward to any future replacement sets you might create.

Bedankt!
Thanks

Fido

LIfe is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Admin justanothersimssite.com
Test Subject
#19 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 9:49 AM
Thank god you made this. The game just looked mind blowingly american for me. At last we have a down-to-earth european touch!
Theorist
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 5:41 PM
Quote:
At last we have a down-to-earth european touch!

That brings to mind another of my projects, which is several lots of row houses heavily influenced by European architecture. In the screenshot for the road replacements, you can see the bottom edge of one of the units. It's actually built to be like three separate buildings which if we ever have an apartment-type expansion pack for TS3, could easily be converted. I'm building them more for aesthetics than use, but I will probably also stuff big families I don't play into them.

Just flat out, I have a huge dislike for most western U.S. architecture, especially most of the modern looking buildings. I enjoy architecture that looks like art, as in someone spent who knows how much time designing and building structures that have stood for at least a hundred years. To my eyes, modern architecture isn't art, it's just a combination of blocks formed into a structure. Where I live we have very small old areas of town with some of the most beautiful houses I have ever seen. They vary in style, but they all have one thing in common, which is basically how varied their styles are. Each is completely unique with its own lines, window shapes, and roof structure.

Re: the cobblestone road replacements: I also have one set coming to me, which was created by someone else and they asked me to host it for them. It is a very nice set and I think a lot of people will enjoy it, but I still plan on making my own because I don't think his will quite work for everyone.

So much to do, so little time!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 6:32 PM
This mod is great. Followed your additional instructions to the T and it worked first time like a dream. Thank you so much!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 10:59 PM
That's wonderful news indeed! And I especially like that it will be possible to mix and match the different parts of it. How about the walking roads? Are they also replaced when the walking paths along the road is replaced?
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 1:48 AM
Ingeli, I didn't even check the footpaths to see if those draw from the same sidewalk textures or not. After it's daylight in my game I'll have to remember to look. I've actually spent very little time lately with Sims on any of those that now I forgot what they looked like to begin with. :P
Test Subject
#24 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 2:35 AM
I didn't see anything wrong with my neighborhood, but like to try new things so I tried your set ... I love it! I hadn't realized how the default coloring made everything look so bright (not in a good way). Thanks for this.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 3:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sadisticpyro

Also:

I don't think that's right. In Australia (as in the UK), we drive on the left side of the road, and in the game, the cars still drive on the right side. At least in my game anyway.

Not sure what country your from, but the UK & Australia we drive on the left hand side of the road, and in the US, at least last time I was there, they drove on the right hand side of the road.
Page 1 of 2