Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 6:48 AM Last edited by QBUILDERZ : 3rd Aug 2009 at 3:59 PM.
Default Geoblending in "The Sims 3"

In my experiments I discovered a way to take objects and pull the terrain over them, like a blanket! Being a nerd and all I decided to call it "Geoblending" like in Halo...shhh, no one will know

But it is actually really easy to do! But be warned, I am not aware if sims will be able to use the objects still. I would bet money on no, but I am one of those unlucky people who get crashes when trying to play a sim.

Without anymore intoduction type stuff, I present you with geoblending!

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5

PLEASE post in your results with this technique! I can't play test, so it is up to you guys for me yinz are great. Have an awesome day!

~Q
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Geoblending Picture tutorial.zip (1.06 MB, 483 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Geoblending Word Tutorial.zip (892 Bytes, 279 downloads) - View custom content

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
48 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 12:00 PM
I've tried your little experiment and it seems like burried objects can be used.(see pic 1)
I've expanded and tried with water/ponds also and there it didn't work, allthough it can be used for advanced decorations.(see pic 2)

It seems like the sims only care about if the objects was reachable before the terrain modification.

Oh and btw, the modifications sticks through save and restart of the game
Screenshots

Life's a game, so let's play!
Typical
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 12:41 PM
Little problem, two step twos and no step 3.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frillen
I've tried your little experiment and it seems like burried objects can be used.(see pic 1)
I've expanded and tried with water/ponds also and there it didn't work, allthough it can be used for advanced decorations.(see pic 2)

It seems like the sims only care about if the objects was reachable before the terrain modification.

Oh and btw, the modifications sticks through save and restart of the game

Thank you SO much for testing it! It is actually really cool to see that they will work Your awesome, many many MANY thanks go to you, and I hope you enjoy the technique!

Quote: Originally posted by lewjen
Little problem, two step twos and no step 3.

Oops! I fixed it, nice catch there :D

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 4:13 PM
Excellent tutorial, this will be fab for story making; do you know if it works in TS2 as well?

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 4:16 PM
No, i couldn't get it to work in TS2, which is a bummer :P

Wiki Wizard
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 4:34 PM
This is brilliant, gives such a good effect, also you rock at grunge style! lol

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Aug 2009 at 9:00 PM
Thank you DD :D

Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 6:43 AM
Field Researcher
#10 Old 6th Aug 2009 at 8:03 PM
Thanks can't wait to try it.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 2:46 AM
Thank you. This is going to be a lot of fun!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 2:50 PM
LOVE the fridge with the bush in it does this work with walls instead of objects?im guessing not... is there any way you know of of building up ground next to a foundation etc..?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 3:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys :D

Kingdonlwt - You can adjust the terrain next to a foundation without the cheats, as for raising it, you can also, but it will never exceed a height of four clicks. This also applies to walls, but instead of adjusting the terrain it makes more sense to follow the sims 2 methods of doing so

Scholar
#14 Old 7th Aug 2009 at 9:49 PM
Aren't you the clever one! Thanks for the cool tip!
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Aug 2009 at 7:38 PM
Again, thanks for all of the support you guys are giving back. Remember, if there are any issues with it I will be here to help

Scholar
#16 Old 13th Aug 2009 at 6:36 PM
Lost in admiration.Your pics are so realistic that they make me speechless....I am currently moving slowly into Sims 3,building and decorating.For me a lot of the new things from this game are disappointing,not yet used to them.I save carefully your tutes on my pc...for later use,when I'll be able to better understand many basic elements...And your tutorials are not basic at all..
Thank you so much for sharing your mad/genial experiences and for teaching us.Big hugs.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Aug 2009 at 12:40 AM
LOL! Thanks mehrlicht, I am flattered :D

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 5:07 PM
I can't figure it out -- this technique just doesn't work in my game. I make constrainfloorelevation false and moveobjects on, and with any object I try (even the ones that you use), it just... doesn't work.

Any idea why?
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 11:34 PM
Make sure you type it...

constrainFloorElevation false

...caps and everything, then try again :D

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 12:30 AM
Yeah, I did.

It actually doesn't matter though - the cheat works the same if you type it without caps. So does moveobjects. I use them both all the time.

I even tried testingcheatsenabled, and removed Awesomemod. It's weird... I can use any object, and it just rises up like normal. The ground won't cover anything.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 1:07 AM
Is there a new patch that I don't know about that fixes it or something?

Try following the steps -exactly- one more time and tell me if it still happens :D

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 3:21 AM
Well, here's what happened. Grumbling all the while, I fired up the game just now and was like, "this geoblending thing doesn't work, *mumbles incoherently*, constrainfloor false, moveobjects on, get a refrigerator and place it, blah blah blah..."

And it worked just fine. Doh.

I swear I'm not crazy - I tried it extensively several other times, doing it the same way. But it works ... now.

So I'm going to mess with it a bit and see what I did to break it before. If I find anything, I'll post again.

Anyway, thanks for getting back so fast. Nice trick you got there.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 8:48 PM
It's okay, I believe you, lol. The game can be wacky at times and thank you!

Mad Poster
#24 Old 21st Oct 2009 at 11:44 PM
Okay, an update, geoblending does NOT work on columns. Well, it does, but you can't place anything afterwards.
Scholar
#25 Old 16th Jun 2010 at 5:46 PM
okay, I know this is an old thread but I just found it and I have to say that while the procedure is simply it was very ingenious of you to figure this out.

I think many people will find this technique handy with the new swamp area and disasters that are part of Ambitions.
Page 1 of 2