Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postal Package Editor (and API)

by Echo Posted 9th Aug 2009 at 3:27 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:14 PM by Nysha

162 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 151 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 7
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 1:56 AM
Kaldir,

Postal doesn't decode script files, so they are unlikely to cause an issue. I don't have Ambitions myself, so I cannot say whether there are any other files with problems, but I haven't heard about any other file format changes which would affect it.

Echo
Test Subject
#127 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 3:34 PM Last edited by KittyRobbie : 7th Jun 2010 at 5:25 PM. Reason: spalling and gremmer is impurtant
Thanks so much for this! I can't do any of the fancy moddy stuff with it, cos I'm dense, but I wanted a way to preview my custom content before I load it back into my game after my Ambitions install (to sort through the crap I'm not using), instead of my previous method of "move one custom item over, start game, search through buy/build/CAS until I find it, decide it's crap, delete, close game, repeat."
Test Subject
#128 Old 24th Jun 2010 at 11:21 PM
I can't get it to start. I've updated Java, then downloaded and installed through the .exe
I specified my default install folder for TS3. But when I try to run the program it just sits there. No errors. Nothing
I'm not familiar with java at all but would like to check out this program.
I'm running Win. XP 64x

Most of the questions I see are Mac OS installations so I'm sorry if this has already been answered.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#129 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 1:24 AM
mchick, can you try running the "(debug mode)" version, and tell me if you get any errors? Also, could you post a screen shot of what you see?

Thanks!
Test Subject
#130 Old 25th Jun 2010 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
mchick, can you try running the "(debug mode)" version, and tell me if you get any errors? Also, could you post a screen shot of what you see?

Thanks!

Thank you for the quick reply.
I run in debug mode and a blank command prompt screen comes up for about a split second and that's it.

It goes by so fast that I can't get a screen shot of it. Other than that, I have no other errors or anything to take a screeny of.

I am getting a windows error noise though when I try to run it.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#131 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 6:04 AM
Okay, that sounds like there's a problem finding the Java program.

Can you try something else for me? Go to your Start menu, and choose "Run". In the box which shows up, type:
cmd
and click OK.
That will bring up a black box. Into that, type:
java -version
and then press Enter. Tell me what it prints back to you.

Then type:
exit
to close that window.
Test Subject
#132 Old 26th Jun 2010 at 2:30 PM
This is what it prints back to me:

java version "1.6.0_20"
jave SE runtime environment <build 1.6.0_20-b02>
java hotspot client vm <build 16.3-b01>
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#133 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 12:40 PM
Okay, I was expecting an error with that! In that case...

Do the "Run", "cmd", "OK" thing again to get a black console window, then type the following:
cd C:\Program Files\Postal
java -Xmx1024m -jar Postal-debug.exe
Test Subject
#134 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:24 AM
Okay, after entering that, I get:

"Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine"

Okay, now it's going way past what I can understand lol
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#135 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:37 AM
It saying you don't have enough memory available. How much memory does your machine have?

Try this instead of the last line:
java -Xmx512m -jar Postal-debug.exe
Test Subject
#136 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 3:03 PM
I thought that's what it meant, I have 2 GB of memory though.

But after typing that last line, it finally opened. Is that how I'll have to start the program up for now?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#137 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 1:00 AM
Because Windows 64 bit takes 1gb of RAM just to start, and Postal can use up to 1gb of memory to store its file table information, you probably are running out.

You can try starting it up that way for now, but you'll probably get errors any time it tries to search for resources in the file table. The command I gave you starts up the program with only half its required memory, so you should be able to open up packages and look at stuff inside them, but you won't be able to follow connections between resources or search for files without it either hanging or shutting down...

You can probably make it work a bit better by taking out some of the resources in the file table though, depending on what kind of modding you're planning on doing.
Test Subject
#138 Old 29th Jun 2010 at 3:32 PM
You know, I just looked and I don't think I'm running a 64 bit.

After reading your answer, I thought 2 GB would be quite low for a 64x especially with the games I play on this computer requiring at least 1 GB (if not more).
So my properties don't say 64x or 32x anywhere, I imagine I'm running a 32x.
Sorry about giving you the wrong stats.

I probably won't be doing any heavy modding though. I actually just wanted to check out the program in connection with recoloring custom meshes using CTU.

Thanks for helping, quite appreciate it
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 10th Jul 2010 at 6:28 PM
Is there a manual of some sort for this program? What I am trying to do is delete a custom hair in the game that I probably have installed as a package file. The hair isn't showing up properly. Someone recommended I use this program to figure out which is the file I want to delete.

BREAKING NEWS! Toilet stolen from police station. The cops have nothing to go on.
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 29th Aug 2010 at 4:42 PM
How bizarre but I would swear I have systematically tromped through every single download page for sim3 stuff at this site recently, yet once again if something isn't posted at an update site somehow I'll miss it. Okay, I'm just using this for the thumbnail capability. THANK YOU Echo!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#141 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 3:33 PM
Hello,

And saddened beforehand for my bad English.
I have one concerns with the software. I have just formated my pc. I had previously exactly the same OS (Windows 7 64bits) and Postal worked very well. But since I have to reinstall, nothing to make. I have an error message "Could not create the Java virtual machine".
I looked on internet but I find nothing, then I ask you directly.
In advance thank you for your answer.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#142 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 11:56 PM
Hello Hachiko-san,

Try this:
Click on the "Start" button
Click on "All Programs"
Click on "Accessories"
Click on "Command Prompt"
Into the black box, type:
java -version

Copy the resulting text, and paste it into a new post.

I will see if I can tell what is going wrong.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#143 Old 26th Oct 2010 at 1:32 AM
Thank you very much of your help.
Thus having made for what you ask me, that answers :
"java is not recognized as internal command or external, a feasible program or a file of commands."
In French :
"java n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes."
I indeed have nevertheless to download Java on the given site, etc.
I admit not to understand any more O.o
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#144 Old 10th Nov 2010 at 10:33 AM
Hi Echo =)
I made some manipulations with a friend, and I have now for result :
java version "1.6.2_22"
Java<TM> SE Runtime Environment <build 1.6.0_22-b04>
Java HotSpot<TM> Client VM <build 17.1-b03, mixed mode, sharing>

In spite of this change the software does not still work and I have the same error message.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#145 Old 26th Dec 2010 at 7:57 AM
It's very helpful. Now I can see the CCs without having to play the game. Thanks a lot! :D
Test Subject
#146 Old 10th Apr 2011 at 3:38 PM
When I click on it, it says I need Java 1.6.0_06. It directs me to java.com, I download the installer for the upgrade and the installer says This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall?

I reinstall, Java says the install is successful, and I launch Postal. Everything is fine.

Then I try to launch Postal again a week later and it tells me I need Java 1.6.0_06 again.

I cannot get this program to run without reinstalling Java every time.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#147 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 12:11 AM
Artisan, are you installing Java as an admin user? It sounds like something is getting reset in your environment.
Test Subject
#148 Old 11th Apr 2011 at 3:37 AM
Worth a shot.
Test Subject
#149 Old 9th May 2011 at 6:48 PM Last edited by jello1993 : 9th May 2011 at 7:28 PM.
Hey, I downloaded this (on a mac) but I am not sure which file I open, I have a /applications/postal but its a folder, in it there is start.jar and postal-GUI.jar, which one do I open?
edit: Actually, there are several .jar files, I opened 2 (hsqldb.jar and Postal-GUI.jar) and got com.packagegui.main and window like the screenshots but with no .package files, when i try to open them using open with... i am not sure what to use, because this is made of of several .jar files
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#150 Old 10th May 2011 at 6:11 AM
jello, you should run the .sh file, not the .jar files.
Page 6 of 7