Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 1:47 PM
Default Roleplay Brainstorming/Planning Thread v2.0
This thread is for discussing existing or possible new roleplays. If you have an idea for an RP that you would like to elaborate on, with the help and suggestion of others, or if you simply want to investigate whether other people might be interested in it, this is the place to do so. If you have questions regarding roleplays or roleplaying, this is the place to ask them. If you're looking to start a small, one-on-one kind of RP with someone, and seek someone to do it with, this is the place for posting/discussing such announcements.

PMs are of course a good way of doing it also, especially in the case of a smaller, one-on-one RP, where the discussion might be of little interest to anyone other than you and the other concerned party, but that said, this thread is basically for sharing ideas, coordinating efforts, finding players for your RP, and planning events and plotlines for RPs, regardless of whether they are already in existence or still on the drawing board.

This is version 2.0 of this thread. The old one was getting rather long, and we felt that it was time to start fresh with a new one. The old one still remains, here, for anyone interested in looking back on the discussion and the ideas to have been tossed around.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 9:40 PM Last edited by FurryPanda : 29th Mar 2010 at 11:30 PM.
I'd like to repost my idea of a newbie RP, in some sort of piratical or historical setting, with a maximum post length.

The basic gist would be people would sign up with their characters and bios, and all RP posts would be a minimum of the forum rule of 8 lines, and a maximum of 30 lines, so that the thread doesn't get intimidating. Bios for apps would have that rule relaxed, and some exceptions would be allowed, but it would be a nice, newbie freindly RP.

If, once it gets started, people wanted to branch it off into a proper RP thread with no post cap, that would be fine, and then the newbie RP could be changed to a different topic so as to keep it welcoming to people of all different types.

I would like for the first setting to be either on board a pirate ship, or in Elizabethan London. Also note that I won't go to the trouble of actually making a nice first post and all unless I have five people interested. I hate starting RPs that die before they begin.

(NOTE: The above post was eight lines long, nine if you include this one. It's not that difficult to fill that much space)

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 7:45 PM
I would be interested in the newbie RP. Would only newbies be allowed to join, or would it be open to anyone who wants to play and stay within the set limits? I ask because I worry there won't be five newbies who post their interest, but maybe with some other roleplayers willing you would get the five. I really hope this happens. If not this, then something new that doesn't require jumping into a long established game.
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 7:50 PM Last edited by FurryPanda : 30th Mar 2010 at 10:17 PM.
Anyone would be welcome who is willing to stay in the post limit.
The title of the RP would probably be "The Short Post RP: Pirate Version" or "Short RP: Pirates"
It is/would be targeted to newbies, but anyone would be welcome.
I would be participating as an RPer as well, so between you and I we would need another three.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 11:19 PM
I've been interested in participating in an RP for a very long time, but was never confident enough to try. I would love to join your casual RP to get a feel for things.

I've read the forum rules and guidelines, but still have some questions regarding RPs:
How often do people post? Is it an everyday thing or is it scheduled on certain days for everyone to meet? Is that something that depends on the rules that the creator of the RP sets?
Also, after you make a post, do you just wait for someone to pick up where you left of or interact with you? And what if you don't like where the story is heading or what someone's done to your character? I guess these are things I'll learn to deal with as game goes on?
I've looked at some of the ongoing RPs and some old ones too, but I guess I gotta actually be in one in order to get the hang of things, right?

I hope more people are interested in this RP; I would love to finally try this out.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Mar 2010 at 11:52 PM
kiwisun - Glad to see someone interested in joining. We certainly do need more players around here. Oh, and there's no reason to be self-conscious. We've all been new players at one point, and from my experience, everyone here has always been willing to help any new players out, and help them find their footing. So don't worry, you'll be fine.

As for your questions; people generally tend to reply within a few days, sometimes a week, though there have of course been occasions when it's been longer. It all depends on variables such as time and inspiration; forcing your writing is rarely a good thing.
There are no specific days when people meet up, most of us just check the forum on a daily basis, to see if anyone has responded to our characters' posts. Meaning yes, we usually do wait for someone to pick up with their character where we left off with ours. A good way of making other people aware that you're looking for interaction, is to mark your character as "approachable", which is usually done in an out-of-character (ooc) message at the bottom of your post.
Other times, people have discussed interactions through PMs, and are playing them out in the RP. When you see two (or more) characters already involved in interaction, and want your character to join in, it's considered polite to first contact the players in question, and ask if it's okay for you to join. Like I said, some people might be RPing out what they have already discussed in PMs, and so might be pursuing a very specific storyline, which leaves room for no interruptions, while others might just be going with the flow, and thus are open to anything that might come their way.

As for not liking where the story is heading; no one should ever RP your character for you. They should merely have their characters respond and react to the reaction/comment you yourself have written for your character. If for example, someone was to write that their character hit your character, that would be considered godmodding; they would be indirectly taking control ofyour character, and decide for you that your character was not fast enough to dodge. That is not okay. However, if they were to write that their character was aiming a punch at your character, that would be fine, because then you'd be at liberty to describe your character as being able to dodge, or parry the blow. Though that said, fights are usually better addressed through PMs first, just so that everyone involved is on the same page with what character does what.

Should you still have a problem with the way things are going, I would suggest PMing the other player, and address the issues with them, so that the two of you can agree, and the other player can edit their post.

I think that was about it. Hope it helped. But if not, or if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Test Subject
#7 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 12:12 AM
Thank you so much for answering my questions. It has really put me at ease. Can't wait to start!
Test Subject
#8 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 12:24 AM
I'd like to do a smallish roleplay (big groups scare me for no apparant reason), and maybe a maximum of 5-6 people? (A one-one would be great)
However, it'd be nice to have something like a word minimum, and the subject would be some sort of fantasy thing (i.e. vampires of the non-sparkly kind, elves, sci-fi-ish alien stuff, etc.)

My skills are a little rusty at the moment (it's been a while since my last serious RP), and I'd like to get back into roleplaying as soon as possible. ^-^
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 3:16 AM Last edited by FurryPanda : 31st Mar 2010 at 3:28 AM.
There's only six active players in Sweet 16 atm, though more people do have characters and do post, very rarely.
In large groups small cliques tend to form in RPing...
I only RP on any sort of a frequent basis with two people in sweet 16 for example.

If I get two more people interested, then there will be an RP with strict(ish) post length guidelines, that posts would have to be between 8 and 30 lines. After a reasonable amount of time people would be welcome to split that into an RP with no maximum. If there is a request for it being about science fiction, than I would be happy to make it a little bit more space-ship/alien fighting rather than pirate like, or even combine the two so that its space pirates! Assuming none of the other interested parties object.

As to a one-on-one RP, I would offer, but I have a lot of trouble with those, and am already involved in one.

Test Subject
#10 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 5:52 AM
Default Space pirates sounds cool
I was actually thinking space pirates too! Although I have to admit, I don't know much about science fiction or pirates, so I'm up for anything. And aren't pirates the bad guys? Though it would be interesting to play a bad guy, hmm.... lol
I think my biggest concern is that I may not come up with enough details to make which ever theme we chose to do sound realistic, but I'll try anyway :D

Actually, if we do go with the space pirates idea, maybe it could be something like, a small group of good aliens get attacked by pirates and in order to survive, they have to become pirates themselves and wreak havoc on others. Meanwhile, they plot to overthrow the bad pirates, regain their freedom, and restore peace to the galaxy. Overtime however, they had been force to do so many horrible things that by the time their "plan" takes action, they can't differentiate themselves from the real pirates anymore.
.....ok, maybe its getting a bit too heavy, lol. Looking forward to others' ideas, most likely way better than mine. But maybe this could spark others' interest to join? Like I said, the theme doesn't really matter; I'm up for anything.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 4:33 PM Last edited by FurryPanda : 1st Apr 2010 at 12:52 AM.
I really like that idea kiwisun actually.

So, how about for the space pirates RP we have the following scenario:

In the year 2330, the crew of the star ship Edelfrak (which consists both of humans and other species of the Confederation) was returning from a peaceful scientific and diplomatic mission on a planet many light years from Earth. They had taken on a number of alien passengers, and a huge amount of valuable natural resources (water and hydrogen, I suppose) and valuable trade goods (let's not even bother pretending we're not stealing from star trek and call it latinum). Before they arrived at earth however, their ship was boarded and commandeered by the evil pirates of the ship Nerot. These pirates have been a nuisance to the United Confederation of Planets for decades, but the few ships they steal are not worth the trouble of the Confederation to pursue.

So now the crew of the Edelfrak and their passengers from the other planet (ummm, Arcsine Theta) must reclaim their ship and get back to earth with their precious cargo reasonably intact.

I could see that being an actual game RP, where decisions the characters make and initial configurations lead to (through algorithims and random numbers, so I can still play) changes in the game world, and controlling things, rather than the free form RPs that are around now.

AtropaMandragora- I think you're the last one around who still was in a game modded not-freeform RP. Could you tell me a little more about how they work, either here or in PM? I have game modded some table top RPs, and it seems like the structure would be similar.

ETA: I just reread that. This would be really difficult in an RP with post length restrictions.
ProlificStorm- So far you are the only one who seems most fond of the idea of the RP having post length restrictions. Would you (or anyone else) object if, for the space pirates RP, these restrictions were never in place? No one will judge you at all harshly if your posts are not very long, promise.

Test Subject
#12 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 9:22 PM
I would not mind if the game did not have post length restrictions. I simply do not have the time to write huge posts, so as long as that's not expected of me, I'd be fine without a restriction on length. Who knows, if I get really into it, I might write more than I anticipate anyway.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 1st Apr 2010 at 11:24 PM
MMkay, so that's four players.
One more and I'll post a thread.

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2010 at 12:21 AM
Furry - Oh wow, that's a tough one. I'm not really sure what to tell you. I guess it depends a little on the aim of the RP? If it's not a contest one, where people get eliminated/win or loose battles etc, as the RP progresses, it's a little less complicated. Kind of like how Vipers' Nest turned out after Shenanigans took it on; whenever she announced a new day, she sort of set the scene and the circumstances. It wasn't all too different from the free-form ones.
But again, I'd have to say it all depends on how much game host control you'd be going for?

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Apr 2010 at 12:53 AM
I already worked out a game mechanic. I think it will work out nicely.
I also am seriously considering going ahead with the four people I have now, since, in the previous thread, there were a number of people who posted as if they'd never considered clicking here, and there have been a lot of new lurkers that I have seen.

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Apr 2010 at 1:29 AM
I think that's a good idea. Plus, RPs can survive with less. We're only three in Syrinx. :p

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 3rd Apr 2010 at 12:29 AM
Space pirates RP thread is up.

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 8:59 AM
If you get involved in an RP, how much of a time requirement is there? I'm asking because I have a severe spinal cord injury and can't always get on the computer. I also write (suspense) which takes up a lot of my time.

I would be interested in having a medieval theme (there is more available at MTS2 for that era than any other historical one -- besides which, it was quite normal for teens to marry in that era). Two or three kingdoms can be created by making use of downtown and/or the shopping district. Nobles often married outside of their particular kingdom.

Fanciful Sims has an interesting RP challenge for that era, but there isn't a lot of activity. And I'm interested in seeing what others are doing with their games.

I do have a medieval novel I was writing that takes place in Scotland (the Isle of Mull where my husband's family originated). I wouldn't mind playing that novel out in the sims.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 12:43 PM
celticlass64 - The roleplaying in this forum isn't really based on what people do with their Sims games. We're not playing out the stories in the Sims, we merely write about standalone characters. Sometimes people make sims to use as their character's portrayal, but that's about it. Other than that, the roleplays have nothing to do with the Sims. It's just your standard play-by-post roleplaying.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 24th Apr 2010 at 4:26 PM
I would love to start a roleplay based on a bunch of newly famous teens let loose in L.A. There would be two rival TV shows, (insert name) & (insert name), and you could be on either one. Show #1 would be a teen drama, kinda like Secret Life of an American Teenager. Show #2 would be a comedy, like an older version of ICarly. There would also be two managers (one for each show) that are supposed to care about what the teens do, but they don't. You would tell about your daily life, and I would announce when it was a new day. What do you think?
Test Subject
#21 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 8:49 PM
FurryPanda:
I'm all new to RP, but it sounds really interresting!!

I would love to participate in a Space-Pirate - Newbie friendly Role Play...
-Since you call it newbie-RP, i assume its okay to be a "vergin" in Role Playing
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 11:43 PM
NKP1994 The RP has already started but you are more than welcome to join, new players are always welcome.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=397820

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th May 2010 at 9:41 PM Last edited by AtropaMandragora : 18th May 2010 at 4:47 AM.
Just a heads up to everyone I'm RPing with at the moment; I'll be away from home May 27 - June 4, and will most likely not have any internet access at all during that time. However, I'll try to post back to anyone who'll be waiting for me at the time, just before I leave, and will try to get back into the swing of things as soon as I'm back. I just wanted to let everyone know, so you don't think I've dropped off the face of the planet, and left you hanging.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#24 Old 18th May 2010 at 12:20 AM
I had a strange idea, granted this was after watching Criminal Minds episodes, back to back, and those are strange enough.

Here's my idea for a RP:

The Streets of Belladonna (Random name, will probably be named some thing else, as this isn't related to Sims) are quiet, and calm. Over the years this small town has blossomed in to a bustling city, and with that, the under belly of this city formed. Crime, Homicide, and other criminal doings have tortured the residents of the 'east side'. Only a year ago (Lets say 2009) a mass murderer, ____ ____ (Left blank for this reason: The police want his family to not be harassed, so they've restricted his name) Stormed through the city, killing 25 people. His reason? Not yet discovered.

Its been two years now, and every ones almost forgotten about the... incident with ____ ____. But now his sister, ______, has gone missing. A neighbors dog was found dead in the bedroom of _____'s apartment. ______ ______ profile was that he'd leave some one else's pet, dead of course, in the targets home, mostly as a distraction as he crept up on them. And now, _____ _____ Has returned, and the city is terrified. The police are scrambling to find and stop ______ _______ before his newest victim, ______'s sister of all people, is found dead, or worse, never found at all.

Thanks for listening!

What the Golden Army really was: Ginormous alarm clocks who wanted to kill you!
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 18th May 2010 at 12:33 AM
That would be a game RP rather than a free form?
I'm interested.

Page 1 of 4