Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 21st Mar 2017 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
I guess I've never had an trouble identifying with sims who don't look like me, so I'm really not sure why this is being presented as an "either or." I think of all the sims I've played, the sims I've made the strongest personal connection with were actually Ophelia Nigmos and Johnny Smith, neither of whom looks even remotely like me.

I didn't mean it had to be either-or. Might as well be both, I just didn't write it. Also, identifying with a character doesn't have to be about how the character compares to you in looks. Could be you identify with their personality or their situation, or anything of the sort.
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
As long as kids are adopted the proper way, (and if I remember correctly), all family ties will be broken when the kid is adopted. I'm not sure if they retain any memories. It's been very long since I tried this.

The adopted kids don't retain any memories (I wish they did), but the birth parents do. When I first started playing, poor Vidcund starved to death, leaving Pascal's daughter alone. After the social worker swooped, Jenny Smith adopted the little girl, and although Rachel had no memories of her father, Pascal kept phoning and asking if she was available to talk (even though Rachel was only a toddler and couldn't come to the phone!). Since he hadn't visited Jenny and met Rachel as his niece, he must have remembered her as his daughter.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#53 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 3:40 AM
@BlueAlien http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...397#post3935397 for setting up memories.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#54 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 10:42 PM
I love the way "colour blind" adoption works in The Sims 2. When white teenager Alastair Gunn decided to adopt a child (using a Squinge mod), the Social Worker brought this delightful little black girl:

So, when a few weeks ago the (black) Social Worker had a white child (Alyssa) to be adopted, she gave her to a black gay couple. Now, when she had a little black girl needing a home, she gave her to an unmarried teenage white couple. Congratulations! That's the way to get real integration. Both adoptions are working out well, with the children loving and loved by their new parents. It's not often that the Sim Nation Social Work Department gets plaudits, but our nameless social worker deserves them. Her judgement is much better than the "culturally aware" approach we get in Real Life where I live! IMHO anyway!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 2nd Apr 2017 at 11:43 PM
The entire game is colour/looks blind. You can pair the ugliest sim you can make with the best looking one and sims don't see it. One of the things I like most.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#56 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 2:11 AM
I love that too. Here it is not that strange for white people to adopt black kids - my son-in-law's aunt adopted 4 of them.

I cannot count the number of ugly people I have met who gradually changed into butterflies as I got to know them better.
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
The entire game is colour/looks blind. You can pair the ugliest sim you can make with the best looking one and sims don't see it. One of the things I like most.

It's what I love about pets. They don't give a shit what you look like.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 2:38 AM
And an ugly dog can turn into a beauty too
Mad Poster
#59 Old 3rd Apr 2017 at 3:41 AM
I remember when I first saw my RL cat I thought that she was the ugliest thing. Now she hasn't changed except filling out a bit, but I think she's beautiful because I know her. XD
Field Researcher
#60 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:15 AM
Field Researcher
#61 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
The adopted kids don't retain any memories (I wish they did), but the birth parents do. When I first started playing, poor Vidcund starved to death, leaving Pascal's daughter alone. After the social worker swooped, Jenny Smith adopted the little girl, and although Rachel had no memories of her father, Pascal kept phoning and asking if she was available to talk (even though Rachel was only a toddler and couldn't come to the phone!). Since he hadn't visited Jenny and met Rachel as his niece, he must have remembered her as his daughter.
You can use SimPE to make the adopted sim have memories of their old family, I did it once and it works 100/100
Page 3 of 3