Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#51 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 7:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bradleymee
why cant he post the download on here the person who originally made the mod never bothers to come on anyway.
Because it is common decency to ask for permission before you use other people's stuff; and this is not about a few code fragments but the whole thing. Of course it is difficult to ask a creator for permission who left the scene, maybe even impossible. I even consider it bad manners to just abandon your mods without giving others permission to take over. I'd certainly upload my source code if I were planning to leave. That still doesn't make it all right to use their stuff without their approval. Write your own mod from scratch if you want an updated version of an abandoned mod so badly, or ask a modder who takes requests.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Advertisement
Inventor
#52 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 8:04 AM
Quote:
now I have the choice between 35 "must declare a body because it is not marked abstract, extern, or partial" or 19 "not all code paths return a value" thanks to the help file.

Did you copy and paste the code from Reflector? Do you have several things that look like this:

Code:
public bool something();
instead of this:

Code:
public bool something()
{
// some code here
}
If so, then you'll need to click "Expand Methods" and the end of the code to get the full code.

See here for a screenshot.
Test Subject
#53 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 10:19 AM
Thanks again, it was the problem.
After some errors ( two "using" missing again ), i got it to compile and now it work in the game! But... One last thing
All elements in the menus are showing together instead of being in sub-menus ( not sure of the term, categories in the main menu like "settings", "speed" ).
Is it in the DLL again ( please, nooooo... )?
Inventor
#54 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 10:35 AM
Yes, it's in the .dll. I'm sorry

The sub-menus are created with the the following function:
Code:
public override string[] GetPath(bool isFemale)
{
// some stuff here
}
Late Night (and the patch) changed it so that the GetPath() now has the bool isFemale parameter in there (between the parentheses). Do you have it in your code?
Test Subject
#55 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 10:55 AM
Thank you, all is working well now ( except of course that i forgot to check before if there were multiple instance of this "GetPath" and i got a menu for the settings but all speed elements in the main menu ).
Now I will try to make the orchids mod working; It already try to drown me with "Invalid expression term 'params' ". :p
Theorist
#56 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 11:44 AM
If you really wanna share the updated mods and you're sure it's working right I think it's fine to post the updated version in the comments.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#57 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
I'd certainly upload my source code if I were planning to leave.

Why not make it accessible anyway? I don't like to be gloomy (well, maybe just a little), but not everyone who has abandoned a project planned to do so.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#58 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 2:20 PM
Updates to someone else's mod cannot be uploaded in the comments. You need to attempt contact with the creator, and I notice that dolphin has the option to email. Plus he hasn't even been MIA for 2 months, not long at all. I suggest you try contacting the creator, because if you want to share updated mods then your going to have to support them.
Eminence Grise
#59 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I don't like to be gloomy (well, maybe just a little), but not everyone who has abandoned a project planned to do so.

It's true -- Buzzler is liable to be abducted at any moment by a group of sentient AIs from another planet who want to use his modding expertise to perfect their shoddily coded society!

Or, he could be hit by a bus.

And I would HATE to lose his digsite fix to the next patch
#60 Old 14th Nov 2010 at 10:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Why not make it accessible anyway? I don't like to be gloomy (well, maybe just a little), but not everyone who has abandoned a project planned to do so.
I'd be just too lazy to keep the sources up to date. And if something occured that kept me from uploading the sources somewhere, something like that would probably be the least of my worries. People could still rip the code from the .dlls, and I think I already made it clear that folks can do with my mods and the code whatever they want without needing to ask for explicit permission.

Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
It's true -- Buzzler is liable to be abducted at any moment by a group of sentient AIs from another planet who want to use his modding expertise to perfect their shoddily coded society!
Will there be gazongas? They will learn that I tend to get miffy and non-productive when I'm on turkey.

Quote:
Or, he could be hit by a bus.
And I would HATE to lose his digsite fix to the next patch
As long as you care. If the next patch doesn't fix that issue officially, I'll take that as proof that the devs are actually lobotomized monkeys with minds that can't grasp much more than the concept of throwing poop.

Alchemist
#61 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 1:36 AM
My bet is the devs are actually overworked nerds working from paycheck to paycheck who are just following instructions, ie. bork things up for user-made content as much as possible without simultaneously borking EA's junk. Too bad they don't manage the latter half of that a little more successfully.

Caring is not the same thing as wantin' your Sim frippery to work B...don't be fooled by substitutes

Shwew Inge...no need to ask you about what the glass contains is there...lol.

And I am *not* the first one to highjack this thread...so if wrists are gonna be slapped I certainly hope mine aren't the only ones.
#62 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
My bet is the devs are actually overworked nerds working from paycheck to paycheck who are just following instructions,
I don't think that would work, because the devs' superiors almost definitely don't understand the devs' work to a degree that makes them capable to give specific instructions.

Quote:
ie. bork things up for user-made content as much as possible without simultaneously borking EA's junk.
I think they just don't give a damn, but don't actively sabotage modders.

Alchemist
#63 Old 15th Nov 2010 at 10:26 PM
I don't think that would work, because the devs' superiors almost definitely don't understand the devs' work to a degree that makes them capable to give specific instructions.
Just giving an overall goal of making things as tough as possible wouldn't require specific instructions...the superiors can tell the degree to which the imperative is being adhered to by the volume of the wails coming from the general direction of Simland...lol.

I think they just don't give a damn, but don't actively sabotage modders.
I guess that depends on what you mean by modders. So far, EA probably doesn't think much about script type mods and things like that. But, if you include making objects, clothes, accessories, and stuff like that under the general term "modding" then I don't agree with you.

I think they've gone outta their way to make things as difficult as possible for all of us who make that kind of stuff. They want to sell theirs with as little competition for it as possible. The harder it is for us to make CC and the more difficult it is for players to use our CC the more people will turn to the EA Store out of sheer exhaustion if nothing else. It's a smart move on EA's part to some degree...the stuff they usually churn out can't compete with some of the best stuff that the community produces for free.

If you've meshed for S2 and then tried meshing for S3 you'll know what I mean. If you aren't a mesher, or you haven't done much meshing for S3, you have no idea what the difference is...it's like night and day. To sort of paraphrase HP here, many people who meshed the hell out of Sims 2 don't wanna come near meshing for this game...it's too excruciating in so many ways.
#64 Old 16th Nov 2010 at 3:08 PM
I think they've gone outta their way to make things as difficult as possible for all of us who make that kind of stuff.
And how is that?
Quote:
If you've meshed for S2 and then tried meshing for S3 you'll know what I mean.{...}
That's no evidence for malicious intentions, though. It's not like the in-game mechanics stayed the same while the creation got more complicated. Both got more complicated.

Alchemist
#65 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 12:37 AM
I didn't say that. I didn't say EA is bein' malicious B.

I don't think EA is being spiteful, mischievous, or wanton or any of the other things that malicious means. I'm not sure what I said to make you conclude that I posted such a statement as I was pretty clear that with EA I think it's a cold decision based on money...pretty much the opposite of being malicious.

From what Echo said in another thread, modding the code for things not having to do with actual meshes, or the movement of meshes, actually got easier with S3. But then, the model EA was working from wasn't a model that sells game hacks. They're working from the pay site model where what's being sold is hair, clothes, accessories, objects...basically anything that requires a mesh. That's the part they've complicated beyond any reasonable necessity. It's no coincidence that the people who've stepped up saying there's no issue here are coders and the people who've said EA is trying to make things rough are meshers IMO. And, you'll notice, that what they sell at their store is meshes...not hacks.

You aren't a mesher...so I'm fine agreeing to disagree with you on this. I'm completely not invested in debating the point.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 8:37 AM
I too have wanted to take this on and see if I can get it to work for myself or create a whole new object. Dolphin has been gone for two months now I have sent him an email with no response and I also acknowledge that life moves on and we must go where it takes us. (Dolphin has a life). So I have never modded before and have followed the main tutorials to get to a very small degree of progress, then I found this post. So I will admit I am lazy and haven't fully committed to starting from scratch. I have the original package and all the tools and some understanding of what to do.. I don't think it is wrong or rude if we lay out the steps for people to follow who like me have little experience. Consider it a new tutorial that could bring about more interest in modding.

Following on all the hard work and collaboration of those who worked out a solution to the mod that so many people as asking for and clearly want, what steps would one need to follow using the magincgnome package from dolphin26 to get it to work for myself? I was lost on how to get it into reflector. you had me up to that point and it was all making sense. but then I couldnt find or figure out what I needed to do at this point in this case based on this in formation from another tutorial."You should see a "Component Data" category click on the category and a small button with three little dots appears to the far right. Click on this button and it will bring up a new menu. On the left of that new pop-up, you should see two items." After this point I was lost. and I thought just looking at the script from dolphin all I might need to do is change his:
CatalogObjects/Name:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
CatalogObjects/Description:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
to
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.CatalogObjects/Name:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.CatalogObjects/Description:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
or
CatalogObjects/Name:Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
CatalogObjects/Description:Sims3.Gameplay.Objects.Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome

Then I realized I needed to find and see and possible make changes to his actual script, and I couldn't figure out where or how to see that.

So I don't mind looking dumb, and I admit I am a total noob to modding but I want to learn and maybe this isn't the best way to learn, but I want to learn by doing something that matters to me based on my need or desire in the game play. If you can show me or send me the steps and keep this discussion open, that would be awesome and a great help. I am sure others found this post like I did from the OP's comment to dolphin and that there are a few who would like to do this.

Thank you and sorry this post is so long.
#67 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 4:22 PM
I didn't say that. I didn't say EA is bein' malicious B.
I know you didn't. I brought it up in the sense of "deliberately harmful".

Quote:
From what Echo said in another thread, modding the code for things not having to do with actual meshes, or the movement of meshes, actually got easier with S3.{...}They're working from the pay site model where what's being sold is hair, clothes, accessories, objects...basically anything that requires a mesh. That's the part they've complicated beyond any reasonable necessity.
Found that other thread and read it. I still don't see a solid reasoning for the "beyond any reasonable necessity" part, sorry. That the data/logic structure got more complicated, and no tools have been written for certain things like GeoStates is no valid argument.

And concerning the coding/scripts for custom objects: Meshers don't necessarily need to be coders. There are a couple coders around here who might be willing to collaborate.

Quote: Originally posted by Jbob
{...}and I thought just looking at the script from dolphin all I might need to do is change his:
CatalogObjects/Name:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome
CatalogObjects/Description:Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome{...}
That is not the script! These are just the keys the game will use to fetch the catalog name and description from the related STBL resource. The script is located in the S3SA resource. You need to export it (click on Grid and Export in S3PE), load it with .NET Reflector and from there copy it and rebuild it using e.g. Visual C#.

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 11:01 PM
I got the S3SA exported as Dolphin26_MagicGardeningGnome.dll, opened it in Reflector when I open it in VC# I don't see much and I don't see any errors well at least none are flagged for me. I don't see how to

one of the most common flags I get in reflector is: Sims3.Gameplay.Interactions.ImmediateInteraction<Sim,MagicGardeningGnome>

A question I had is for the plug-ins for reflector do the get dropped right into reflector or do they go in the folder that reflector resides in?

As of now I am stuck at post 14 for this project the post by velocitygrass
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 17th Nov 2010 at 11:22 PM
Using the tutorial for creating a game compatible VS project I followed it and I got:

ScriptCore.dll
SimIFace.dll
Sims3GameplayObjects.dll
Sims3GameplaySystems.dll
Sims3Metadata.dll
System.dll
System.Xml.dll
UI.dll

From my the sims 3 game/bin folder only do I need to do the same steps for my stuff or expansions?

I did not ever run into: TestGameplay and TestObjects

and I did not see:Automation

In the project I created under preferences I have :microsoft.Csharp,ScriptCore, SimIFace, Sims3GameplayObjects, Sims3GameplaySystems, Sims3Metadata, System, System.Xml, UI. I do not have mscorlib it wouldn't let me and said it was already there.
Alchemist
#70 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 12:38 AM
I know you didn't. I brought it up in the sense of "deliberately harmful".
kk...as long as you admit it...lol...gettin' all fallacious and all

Found that other thread and read it. I still don't see a solid reasoning for the "beyond any reasonable necessity" part, sorry. That the data/logic structure got more complicated, and no tools have been written for certain things like GeoStates is no valid argument.
Good thing we're the kind of people who don't need everyone to just agree with everything we say isn't it?

And concerning the coding/scripts for custom objects: Meshers don't necessarily need to be coders. There are a couple coders around here who might be willing to collaborate.
Well the opposite is also true...it's something for people to keep in mind.

And now, before I get the wrist slap...since it's usually me that gets it if someone's gonna ...I'm outta this thread unless I have somethin' to say on-topic.
#71 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jbob
I did not ever run into: TestGameplay and TestObjects

and I did not see:Automation
These libraries aren't part of the core script packages anymore, and you don't need them anyway.

Quote:
I do not have mscorlib it wouldn't let me and said it was already there.
You need to set your project's properties to not reference mscorlib. If you actually did that, and VS doesn't let you reference the mscorlib from TS3 nevertheless (known bug in VS), try to uncheck the "Don't reference mscorlib" thingy again, save, close, reload and check it again. If it still doesn't work, start a new project and try again.

I was unable to parse your other posting. You might want to rephrase that.

Good thing we're the kind of people who don't need everyone to just agree with everything we say isn't it?
You can still try to convince me, though.

Inventor
#72 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 6:45 PM
Quote:
A question I had is for the plug-ins for reflector do the get dropped right into reflector or do they go in the folder that reflector resides in?
You can unzip them anywhere. They are added by by selecting View -> Add-Ins... in the menu in Reflector and then selecting "Add..." in the dialog that comes up. This will prompt you to find the .dll wherever you have it on your harddrive.

As for not including mscorlib: Did you by any chance download Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express instead of 2008? The only way I could get the 2010 version to reference my (i.e. The Sims 3) System.dll and System.xml.dll and mscorlib.dll was to manually edit the .csproj file (no amount of closing and reopening did the trick). And this was just another test right now. Previously I didn't get it to work at all. For 2008, checking "Do not reference mscorlib" works for me, so I use that now.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 7:10 PM
I did go with 2010 and I did click do not reference mscorlib, I also notice in some of the screencaps for VS that there is a tab(reference for "class library") did I miss downloading or exporting something?
Inventor
#74 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 7:40 PM
Quote:
I also notice in some of the screencaps for VS that there is a tab(reference for "class library")
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. Could you link to the screencap?

As I said, in 2010 I had to manually edit/add the references in the .csproj file:
Code:
    <Reference Include="mscorlib">
      <HintPath>..\..\..\..\..\..\..\The Sims 3\sources\dlls_to_link_against\mscorlib.dll</HintPath>
      <Private>False</Private>
    </Reference>
Or you could simply install VS 2008 Express where checking "do not reference mscorlib" works.
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 18th Nov 2010 at 8:45 PM Last edited by Jbob : 21st Nov 2010 at 9:09 AM.
This is what I see in reflector and I am now using 2008 VS and C#
Page 3 of 4