Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 70 (Who?), Viewed: 23613 times.
Page 2 of 3
Test Subject
#26 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomomi1922
I also found out that we can, and we should, open the scrapbooks and delete unwanted memories, like "Late for work", "went to a hot spot", "went to a bar" .... All my sims have about 2 pages of these useless things. This is the major reason why my save time doubled. It was already 8-10 minutes save on average before this EP, now with added memories (and especially screenshots), it goes from 10-20 minutes on average to save.

Don't try to tell me I am wrong. But I often watch Netflix on 2nd screen (I got 2 monitors) while I play TS3. I started saving and started a new anime episode. The 20 minute long episode was done with credit rolling, I checked back to TS3, and it still has the hourglass. Imagine that! I usually click Save and go on to do something. But seriously at the present time, I could finish 1 chore and the game is not done saving. I would have to do 2 chores now. And I only have about 400Mb of .package files combined.

Huh? Seriously, you need to stop (or at least seriously limit) your posting, especially with the useless and/or completely wrong "advice", as you clearly are clueless. If your game takes that long to save, there's something very wrong with it or you just don't have big enough computer for it. And just in case, no, I'm not talking about physical dimensions, or number of monitors.

With very big world (Los Aniegos), assload of added custom sims and some lots, I remember it taking several minutes to save, but nowhere near 10. With moderately fresh Sunset Valley, maybe 10 or so added sims, and few lots, it's under a minute.

Then again, I don't have Generations, or even the new patch yet, but even if it somehow doubled my save times, I wouldn't state as a fact that it's the memories or screenshots, without having slightest evidence.

And no, it's not our job to delete these unwanted totally useless memories. They simply should not exist in the first place. So yes, as EA probably never fixes this, I'm hoping there will be a mod to filter them, if that's possible. Maybe they have some sort of priority number or something internally, that can be used. If not, they should be killed completely.
Scholar
#27 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 11:41 AM
You do not even have Generations EP and you are trying to tell me I am wrong.

Every computer is different, seriously. Why do you even bring "physical dimensions or number of monitors" in this? I never mentioned it as making it faster. I merely stated I have 2 monitors as a fact as I use it for work, game, and whatnot.

- My save time is about 10 minutes long on average, whether I have CC or vanilla (tested a couple times).

- After Generations installed, my first 2 save clocked 21 minutes and 16 minutes respectively, without a single CC.

- What is the difference between the 2? Now each and every sim carries around a Highschool diploma and loads of Memories including "late for work", "visit a lounge", ...

- My computer: ATI 5800s GPU, Quad core CPU, 8Gb RAM, about 3TB of Hard drive space total, running very clean on Windows 7 (I am an IT consultant). I am able to play several latest games with max graphics and no lag.

Please understand that whatever is going on in your computer does not necessarily compare to what can happen in the next computer. Just because your save time is faster than mine, and you don't even have Generations EP installed, you can 100% state that my save time is .... wrong? When did you visit my house to see how long it takes for TS3 to save?

Semi proof: After reducing half the useless memories on all my active sims, my save time is stable at 15 minutes on average. I am glad I use this "useless and completely wrong" advice to reduce my save time. I never said it was "our job" to delete useless memories. It is a suggestion, take it or leave it. It had helped me a great deal, so I am suggesting it. If you do not like my advice, then simply don't do it, it is rude, immature, and childish to insult people for advices that is not even directed toward you (no Generations installed and not even patch).

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Test Subject
#28 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 5:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerssijorma
Huh? Seriously, you need to stop (or at least seriously limit) your posting, especially with the useless and/or completely wrong "advice", as you clearly are clueless. If your game takes that long to save, there's something very wrong with it or you just don't have big enough computer for it. And just in case, no, I'm not talking about physical dimensions, or number of monitors.

With very big world (Los Aniegos), assload of added custom sims and some lots, I remember it taking several minutes to save, but nowhere near 10. With moderately fresh Sunset Valley, maybe 10 or so added sims, and few lots, it's under a minute.

Then again, I don't have Generations, or even the new patch yet, but even if it somehow doubled my save times, I wouldn't state as a fact that it's the memories or screenshots, without having slightest evidence.

And no, it's not our job to delete these unwanted totally useless memories. They simply should not exist in the first place. So yes, as EA probably never fixes this, I'm hoping there will be a mod to filter them, if that's possible. Maybe they have some sort of priority number or something internally, that can be used. If not, they should be killed completely.

You, sir, are very rude. You said it yourself you don't even have the expansion pack, what qualifies you to say other people advices are useless?
Scholar
#29 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 5:38 PM
Aaand...Back to the subject. I was disappointed with the memories, I expected something similar to S2 memories. Or better. But not worse. So I just disabled them from options and delete all the stupid ones or just ignore the whole system. Atleast those pop-up's won't disturb my gameplay more than that anymore.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 6:28 PM
I'm pretty disappointed with the "scrapbook". Half the time the pictures the game takes automatically are pretty useless. Getting a memory for EVERY TINY LITTLE THING is pretty annoying. And there's no physical object of the scrapbook in the world (like in TS2). I used to LOVE the TS2 scrapbook and would use it all the time. And the system was so much easier for actually telling a story.

Right now I'm just sharing all the memories I get until I get the 200 memory free object and then I'll be turning off this "feature".

So disappointed.

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
(Also looking for feedback on my world in progress; Mayfair Isles)
Test Subject
#31 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 7:52 PM
Quote:
- My save time is about 10 minutes long on average, whether I have CC or vanilla (tested a couple times).

- After Generations installed, my first 2 save clocked 21 minutes and 16 minutes respectively, without a single CC.

- What is the difference between the 2? Now each and every sim carries around a Highschool diploma and loads of Memories including "late for work", "visit a lounge", ...

Difference between the two? It's that you now have new EP and patch installed. The patch happens to include the memory system. That's all. Just because memories might be the most visible part to player does not mean it's the (only) thing causing problems. Of course it could be, if it's done badly, and there are many things done badly in this game. I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just saying you don't know. Certainly memories must add something. Maybe the thing that's causing your bad save times just multiplies it. What normally would be few seconds, becomes few minutes?

Quote:
- My computer: ATI 5800s GPU, Quad core CPU, 8Gb RAM, about 3TB of Hard drive space total, running very clean on Windows 7 (I am an IT consultant). I am able to play several latest games with max graphics and no lag.

Your computer is about the same as mine, even slightly better. Not that it really should make that big a difference, unless it was some very ancient machine. So there's definitely something wrong in the game. 10 to 20 minute saves aren't normal. Is it only saves or loading also? I've read about bad packages causing very long loading times, maybe that goes for saving too. Maybe you have some bloated (anti)virus running. Some of them can be pretty bad, or so I've heard. Anyway I guess you know all that better, being IT consultant and all.

Quote:
Semi proof: After reducing half the useless memories on all my active sims, my save time is stable at 15 minutes on average. I am glad I use this "useless and completely wrong" advice to reduce my save time. I never said it was "our job" to delete useless memories. It is a suggestion, take it or leave it. It had helped me a great deal, so I am suggesting it. If you do not like my advice, then simply don't do it, it is rude, immature, and childish to insult people for advices that is not even directed toward you (no Generations installed and not even patch).

Of course I don't have to take that advice. And I likely won't. Even if it turns out to be true, it most likely has been fixed (in Awesomemod, would be my guess) when I patch. And obviously I wasn't even looking for advice. I really haven't been reading this forum that much. I don't even know why I have registered here, I guess for the occasional download. I was just checking opinions for Generations. Never intended to post. It just pisses me off for some reason when I see people giving wrong/useless answers to questions. You certainly aren't the only, or worst, example. Probably you just post so much it sticks out. This is a web forum, not some popularity contest. If you don't know the answer, is it really necessary to answer with guesses and baseless speculation, and acting like they were some known facts.

I'd say your advice is in the common "voodoo" category. Things that people keep repeating as solutions to every possible situation. Might occasionally work, but not for reasons you think. Somehow I've managed to keep the game working (for some definitions of working at least, this being EAxis after all) from the beginning without reinstalling and constantly deleting caches and things like that. I guess I'm just lucky.

And yes this is off-topic, sorry about that. I'll be getting back to not-even-lurking soon.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 7th Jun 2011 at 9:23 PM
I like having memories back, but do agree that it needs a bit of tuning.

I get memories for the most random things, like visited a hot spot or repaired a toilet - why would my sim want to remember that forever?!

I also get duplicate entries for the same event, for example, the sim I'm playing now is married to a celebrity and whenever they kiss I get two memories: one saying they kissed and one saying they kissed a celebrity.

The pictures the game takes are pretty awful so when something big is going to happen I try and get my own picture and then copy and paste the text from the EA memory into my custom one.

My Sims 3 stories blog - *NEW* Heather Legacy
My Sims 3 CC blog || My MTS page
Test Subject
#33 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 3:19 AM
90% of memories are useless, safe to say. I wish I could tell the game to stop recording useless entries like fixing a toilet like el_flel said. Another problem is that inactive sims also create entries as they go, bloat up the town exponentially every moment we play.
Instructor
#35 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 4:51 AM
I just wish memories had game impact. So far I haven't noticed they have any, and while it is somewhat entertaining at first, I can see by my second or third game, I won't care. Plus, I don't like the fact it is being used to generate sims related spam on sites. There is enough game spam already.
Scholar
#36 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 8:58 AM
I haven't played enough with this EP yet, but my current understanding tells me Memories have nothing to do with the actual games and thus have no impacts on your play game. They serve as a blog, a journal, a log book for us players to keep tracks of a sim's record. Some of us may find this rather helpful, others may feel it is redundant, useless, and even annoying. Although with notification turned off, we can pretend it is never there. Though, for me personally, I will continue to keep clearing it to avoid it getting too big. Knowing how inefficient EA is, these extra links will cause my save to take forever and corrupt my games some day.

But for the sims, I don't think they even "know" of the existence of these scrapbook entries. This is unlike TS2 (or was it TS1) that they have actual memories of each and every event (in place of moodlets). They do remember things like house was on fire, saw someone dead, first woohoo, marriage, etc... I think I mentioned somewhere else that I when I used Neighborhood editor (3rd party tool to edit save game) to resurrect sim A, but I also had to trade down all the "witnesses" and erase that entry "seeing sim A die", or else, whenever sim A meets those witnesses, he may be dead again. An easy way of resurrecting sims turns out to be a very hard way, especially if this sim died in public with lots of witnesses. This totally does not apply to the current memories in TS3.

I just hope for a mod to block memory entries to even form at the first place. Or at least block on certain sims. Most of us only play 3-5 households we care about, while the rest of the sims (non NPC) serve like background extras, we definitely don't care about their scrapbook entries.

Update: My save is averaging around 10 minutes now. But I don't know how long I can handle putting efforts to manually clearing entries on all non NPC sims.

Scholar
#37 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 3:44 PM
Well, you do know that if you leave Memories on, once you do everything for the first time, you don't get the memory thingy again unless you decide you want to Capture the Moment right? Or do something for the first time ever that your sim hasn't ever done before. I've noticed that unless my sim does something new for the first time, their lives go on as normal without that notification popping up.

I haven't gotten Generations yet but I did get the patch and... as I am trying to play all my families and get all those "first" out of the way, I'm keeping it on. Also I did notice that the saving times on my games have at least doubled since the patch and I was wondering why. I'm with you in attributing this to that memory system. I still can't wait to get this EP... my sims need it
Scholar
#38 Old 8th Jun 2011 at 3:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisfyre
Well, you do know that if you leave Memories on, once you do everything for the first time, you don't get the memory thingy again unless you decide you want to Capture the Moment right? Or do something for the first time ever that your sim hasn't ever done before. I've noticed that unless my sim does something new for the first time, their lives go on as normal without that notification popping up.

I haven't gotten Generations yet but I did get the patch and... as I am trying to play all my families and get all those "first" out of the way, I'm keeping it on. Also I did notice that the saving times on my games have at least doubled since the patch and I was wondering why. I'm with you in attributing this to that memory system. I still can't wait to get this EP... my sims need it

You brought up a good point. Maybe best to leave some of those memory entries in because they will just be created all over again anyway. Some even reported duplicate entries.

I however found out something new about Memories system: Entries created while household is not active will not contain a screenshot.

With the way EA handles things, text is bad enough, but having also to save the screenshots is worse. During my testing, I used MC to promote one of my sim from rank 1 to rank 6. TS3 created an entry of "Got a promotion" and took the screenshot of whatever the sim was doing (which was sleeping). So in her scrapbook, she got a picture of her sleeping in bed and it says she got promoted. I switched to another household and use MC to change her to a different profession and promoted her. She got the "Got a promotion" without a screenshot. Yay!

Instructor
#39 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 4:20 AM
What I'd like to know about the memories system is what it does to your game in terms of slowing down neighborhoods... I know I'm only halfway through my sims lifespan and the neighborhood has become stupidly slow, to the point where I'm not sure I can even play it. And my computer is above the recommended requirements, too, so idk. :/ I'm also hoping for a mod to disable this "feature" entirely. I don't want it. I take pictures on my own (like a madman, too, I have above 600 pics on my new neighborhood), I don't need the game taking pictures for me. Especially of trivial crap.
Test Subject
#40 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 4:48 AM Last edited by Drguyks : 12th Jun 2011 at 10:00 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff
Default idea for a farce: EA makes something a little more user friendly
Wow, what an interesting and lively discussion. Normally I just stick to downloading, but in this case I felt I should post. I just got the Sims 3 right when Generations came out...suffice it to say I am new to this fun. Having said that, I was kind of hoping to find a file section for my Sims memories/scrapbook. I don't want to share my Sims memories with people on my Facebook...most of, if not all, could give a flyin' frak about some computer generated memory (no offense). I would prefer to load it on Twitter; crazy as it sounds there is logic to this: Facebook more or less forces your friends to see stuff; Twitter says only people who follow (people who might actually care about this game) get to see it. What's the diff? Followers come and go...friends are forever (my policy on Facebook friends? If we are NOT friends in real life or have not met, what makes me think I'd add you to my Facebook?). Again this all sounds a little harsh, but it's the truth. If only there was a way to access memories and Twit post them without having to download them from the EA site or Facebook. Oh well...if wishes were horses then beggars would ride.
Test Subject
#41 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 1:32 PM
I have tried cleaning the file travelDB.package using S3PE I got rid of all the img entries, so I was able to keep my save file a decent size. Going back in game I found out all the memory entries where still there with a default icon, text but no images. I am satisfied with it this way untill there will be a mod to handle it. My main problem was the save game size.
Test Subject
#42 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 5:46 PM
I really do hope they come up with a mod soon. I have been having error code 12 pop up and it got to the point were even the suggested work arounds were not working. It makes it fairly pointless to play if you can't even save anymore. Then I realized the whole memories thing was probably taking a huge chunk to save because I had never had this problem till I got memories. So then it got me wondering if townies got memories and if I deleted them would the problem stop. I have currently gone through house by house and deleted half of my towns memories (I intend on deleting the other half soon but my wrist started hurting so I had to take a break ).

Anyways turns out townies do get memories, a whole lot of memories in fact. The smallest amount of scrapbook I had to delete was a toddler with 4 memories. Kids seemed to average at about 10 and teens averaged between 10 and 25. Then young adults and adults ran anywhere from 20 to over 100 and elders almost always had at least 80 to well over 100. Since deleting just half of this pointless memory stuff my saves are faster again and I have not had error code 12 issues. Granted I obviously haven't tried this after extensive play but I highly doubt that memories is not to blame for my recent error code 12 issues.

So please please someone get a mod that prevents those pesky memories!
Test Subject
#43 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 6:32 PM
I hate the smiley face that shows up everytime sim has their memories moment. Is there any way to turn that off ?! I already turned memories notification off, but It didnīt have any effect on the freaking smiley face .....
Field Researcher
#44 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 6:39 PM
There isn't much I prefer from TS2, but the memories system certainly falls under that category. They could have lazily copied that system entirely and I would have been much happier about that than I am about this. I think my complaints about it are a little more superficial though.. after turning off the notifications in options, I'm fine with it. I haven't noticed any increased save time (though I've gone through and deleted useless memories from the start, so that may be why). I just don't like the way it looks. Why do all the pictures look like they were thrown haphazardly across the page? I get that they were going for a scrapbook look, but it just looks like a mess. The inconsistency of pictures vs icons bothers me a lot too, and it takes up so much space. I liked being able to just open the tab and skim through the memories while the game was still going. I don't like having to stop everything and open this gigantic book that takes up my entire page just to look through it.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 7:35 PM
Kai, the icons are there because the memory happened while you weren't focused on the same lot the Sim was on at the time...

And I agree, EA just has no idea what it's players want, do they?

What I also don't like is that even with "hideheadlineeffects on", the memory icon still shows up. Grrrrr...

Cagley Family Legacy (A Random Legacy Challenge)
(Also looking for feedback on my world in progress; Mayfair Isles)
Scholar
#46 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Creations
Kai, the icons are there because the memory happened while you weren't focused on the same lot the Sim was on at the time...

And I agree, EA just has no idea what it's players want, do they?

What I also don't like is that even with "hideheadlineeffects on", the memory icon still shows up. Grrrrr...

I am bothered about those icons as well. But I don't think it was that easy to copy and paste TS2 system over TS3. They wouldn't just "fit" because of entirely different file structures, input and output, to say the least. So I guess it was easier for them to build new codes on top of TS3 than pulling a TS2 design over to duct tape it into TS3.

Yep, EA just has no idea what players want. They have a tons of ideas of what "they think" we want. But I believe the current memory system is a way for them to test integration with social networks because EA does want us to be more active with our gaming (which in turn attract our friends into playing too).

Scholar
#47 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 11:16 PM
The "Share this memory?" message is easily fixed... just don't sign into your EA account from the launcher/game. I appreciate this isn't an option for Digital Download users (or so I've heard) but personally I avoid the launcher like the plague, I refuse to use the EADM and I have never signed into my Sims account from the actual game, (in fact I have all that socialy/shop crap disabled) and I don't get those messages.

On the whole lag thing, I admit there is a definite increase in load times, but I don't think it's that bad. Normally my load times begin to degenerate around about Generation 4 or 5 because EA in their infinite wisdom save all the Family Tree's ever... despite the fact that the game only references 2 or 3 generations before at most anyway. I'm now coming to the end of Gen 1 and already there is a noticeable increase, so certainly I would say memories are probably not helping. I'm hoping (praying?) that when Sims die, their memories are wiped out, although I wouldn't be completely surprised if they are not, EA don't exactly have a great record on cleaning up after themselves.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Scholar
#48 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 1:35 PM
Quote:
You brought up a good point. Maybe best to leave some of those memory entries in because they will just be created all over again anyway. Some even reported duplicate entries.

I however found out something new about Memories system: Entries created while household is not active will not contain a screenshot.

With the way EA handles things, text is bad enough, but having also to save the screenshots is worse. During my testing, I used MC to promote one of my sim from rank 1 to rank 6. TS3 created an entry of "Got a promotion" and took the screenshot of whatever the sim was doing (which was sleeping). So in her scrapbook, she got a picture of her sleeping in bed and it says she got promoted. I switched to another household and use MC to change her to a different profession and promoted her. She got the "Got a promotion" without a screenshot. Yay!

Well I finally got my 200 memories needed for the freebies and proceeded to go thru my 1 saved game that has like 10 families and deleted those memories because I read in a post somewhere... can't remember where... these things take up space and slow down your game so I'm not deleting them.
Test Subject
#49 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 6:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead Creations
Right now I'm just sharing all the memories I get until I get the 200 memory free object and then I'll be turning off this "feature".

So disappointed.

First clue you've made a bad feature: You decide to bribe players to use it.

I thought memories sounded neat, if you could adjust how many the game took. Or why not just let us caption and view our screenshots in-game, instead of picking screenshots and captions for us?
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 17th Jun 2011 at 8:14 PM
Quote:
I also found out that we can, and we should, open the scrapbooks and delete unwanted memories, like "Late for work", "went to a hot spot", "went to a bar" .... All my sims have about 2 pages of these useless things. This is the major reason why my save time doubled. It was already 8-10 minutes save on average before this EP, now with added memories (and especially screenshots), it goes from 10-20 minutes on average to save.

Don't try to tell me I am wrong. But I often watch Netflix on 2nd screen (I got 2 monitors) while I play TS3. I started saving and started a new anime episode. The 20 minute long episode was done with credit rolling, I checked back to TS3, and it still has the hourglass. Imagine that! I usually click Save and go on to do something. But seriously at the present time, I could finish 1 chore and the game is not done saving. I would have to do 2 chores now. And I only have about 400Mb of .package files combined.

It also makes your save file grow to ridiculous size really fast.

My new-ish save went from 12 megs to over 100 just from memories and one attempt at using the camcorder.

I've been deleting the file that contains memories from my saves, as I really don't care about them and would rather save on save time.
Page 2 of 3

Section jump