Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 3:59 AM
Default what crashes your game?
game crashes are probably one of the most annoying things to deal with and certain things cause more crashes than others so lets share what crashes our game.

The movies sometimes crash my game so I've disabled them. I had some bad CC I got from vitasims that crashed my game too whenever I tried to access plumbing in buy mode. That program FRAPS is notorious for crashing my game. The internet crashes my game since it connects and disconnects, I disable those notifications before I load my game now. And recently, sims aging has caused my game to crash and its happened not once but twice.........I guess my sims don't want to be elders lol

So what crashes your game? How do you deal with it? me I just blow off some steam and go back to it later. always sucks when I didnt save and have been playing for a long time.

is proud not to be a fracking idiot

Simmerful on Tumblr

Simmerful Downloads
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:45 AM
I remember in TS1 with the potion making thingy, I had a "scientist" sim with a million of those potion makers. So he would be making potions, and suddenly the game would crash! I asked my mom and she said a certain potion crashed the game. So I had to restart like five times (because I had saved right as he finished the last potion) in order to get the action cancelled in time.
#3 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:58 AM
Hmmm weird crashing issues of what I've heard from both of you.
Usually crashes happened in my game because of video card issues.
Never experienced corrupted/bad custom content would crashing the game so far

While me, put the wrong codes to mod objects creation, always ended up crashing my game.
I haven't found the solution to fix that yet
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:17 AM
Bad custom content in buy mode and rarely when selecting clothes. Entering/exiting lots, moving families into lots, clicking on lots, scrolling around too fast, basically everything.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Instructor
#5 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:24 AM
The only things that have made my game crash out right have been hardware issues. Once, my game would crash at the same point in the age transition of a sim in the same household over and over. I had initially thought it was something I had caused. I even removed all the cc to test. Then the hard drive failed. I was lucky I had a spare and my windows disc on hand. However, that was before I got into the habit of backing up so I lost the entire hood.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:38 AM
The biggest problem I've had with my game crashing was from custom content. I downloaded a "set" of items and didn't pay attention to the fact that one small lamp was for an ep I didn't have. Crashed my game good and proper and lucky I did have a back up. I've also found that downloading a lot is somewhat problematic for me, even if it's a base game only lot. I stopped attempting it long ago better just to suffer with my meager building skills rather than worry about a game crash.

The only times I ever experienced it crashing from any type of game play was way back when I first started playing. I knew nothing about game patches so played a completely unpatched game and experienced many strange glitches and crashes. I was so naive as I foolishly believed EA could not have released a broken game and there simply must be something wrong with my computer. Silly me.
Instructor
#7 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 6:36 AM
Nothing has crashed my game in over a year, since I did the tips in this thread: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...php?topic=21931

BUT those tips will not stop bad CC from crashing your game, I've just not had any bad CC in a long time.

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 8:07 AM
On my old computer it would always crash if I let the intro movie play all the way through (no idea why), plus my whole computer would crash/freeze all the time for no reason, but I honestly can't remember the game crashing at all on this computer, just some short freezes, maybe I'm lucky... (Sims 3 crashes pretty often though...)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:05 AM
My own creations. Luckily it doesn't happen often- and when it does, it's usually because I'm trying to learn something new. Other than that? Nothing. If it weren't for me, my game would never crash.

*knocks on wood and crosses fingers*
Mad Poster
#10 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:27 AM Last edited by sushigal007 : 9th Mar 2012 at 9:28 AM. Reason: My drive letters looked like smilies.
I usually get crashes from bad CC. However, I also used to get the Blue Screen Of Death if too much was happening in my game at once (quads being born just as an alien abduction was starting). That stopped when I shifted my My Documents folder from my bloated C drive to my nice, empty D drive. Only then it was replaced with the occasional random "The application has crashed" error. This seems to happen when I've left the computer on too long, or if again, it's trying to do too much, so I'm saving for some more RAM in the hope that will fix it.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:31 AM
I also followed that thread Liv mentions and my game no longer crashes either. I'm beginning to think the main reason the game crashes is because of system limitations - at least for me anyway.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:55 AM
Before I also utilised the thread Liv mentioned, it was too many sims on a lot -- after I had a hood rebuild, I had the idea of gathering all sims from a family every Sunday. The only problem was that the Austin family totalled about 50 sims, and has kept growing, so I'd occasionally have a CTD with too many sims. Now I'm a bit more careful about the number of sims on lot, but between that and following the thread directions, I've not had a crash in ages.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 10:37 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 9th Mar 2012 at 2:10 PM.
What used to crash my game was loading new SC4 terrains (as in creating a neighborhood using a custom made SC4 terrain) created in SC4 for the first time, the second time i loaded them, the game didnt crash.
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 11:11 AM
Yeah, I have to knock on wood too. My game seems to work but sometimes strange things happend. I can not say that I had any real crash at gameplay but sometimes the game crashes at exit (in the last moment when the screen is black and I'm supposed to be back in windows). Once the game went down when the Monty kids returned from school and had a friend whit them. I think my computer was very busy at the time and W Vista are't carefull whit the hardware, it's eating memory. The game freezed and crached but that was (so far) the only time in years. As I told you, my systems uses a lot of memory (have 3 gb) and I think it's the reason why the game always freez for a few sec when a sim arrives at a lot (any lot).

The strangest thing, however, was noticed the other day. I wanted to start up the game and double clicked the icon. The dialog came up but the online part (the ad for the sims medieval) did not show. I clicked play and a dialog came up: "windows moving file" (!). Then the game started normal. But what file did get moved? The dialog was just there for one sec and I did'nt notice the text. Very, very strange indeed. The game did run as normal.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 12:31 PM
I rarely have crashes any more (knock wood), but when they do occur, it's more than likely to be a house that has bad CC or hacks that were left in it. Because I have all the EP's, it rarely happens anymore with downloaded lots-but there's still the occasional one that will shut the game down faster than a speeding bullet for unknown reasons.

That's why I'm loath to download any houses, and am content to rebuild the ones I know are safe to use, and always use Clean Installer to install new ones. The only safe way to keep the game from crashing is to make sure it doesn't have stuff in it that will do it.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:10 PM
The only crashes I've ever experienced is the odd BSOD (blue screen of death) by the computer - the most frustrating thing ever if I haven't saved for a while.

And all the Naaru say I'm pretty fly for a Draenei!
LiveJournal - Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:40 PM
Can I also talk about something odd that /should've/ crashed my game, but for some reason didn't?
Anyway, I had Sims running in the background one day (I used to always hit that key that goes out of it instead of quitting properly) and I was burning a CD, so I needed to take the disc out. I put the disc in the case to keep it safe. Later in the day, I opened Sims, and it still worked. It worked for several days before I realised that I had taken the disc out! It seems strange it worked so long without a disc.
Anyway, I've only had two other TS2 crashes I can remember. The first was when my computer suddenly decided the mouse was bad, and wanted to shut down. I was rotating the sims screen at the time, and when I let the mouse go, it kept spinning for like ten minutes before I finally had to turn it off.
The second was recently. I had just downloaded a few things and I started Sims up. But it wouldn't get past the loading screen! So I exited out and had to restart the computer. I deleted all the CC that I had downloaded between the last time I played and the time I started it again. Nothing. I tried letting it wait, starting over and over, to no avail. Finally I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. To this day I don't know what the plumbbob happened.
Scholar
#18 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:53 PM
As I understand it, the CD/DVD is only needed to start the game. As long as you don't exit the game or turn off the computer, the game should be running.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 2:00 PM
When playing Life Stories (Sims 2 extra-lite), anything to do with boys' underwear--whether it's choosing what kind of underwear or buying it at a community lot, or having a male child change into it.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Field Researcher
#20 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 2:17 PM
Once my CC gets near 4GB, which is my total RAM, it crashes pretty much randomly. Doesn't seem to be any particular CC that does it. I've tried all the suggested remedies in the GoS thread and elsewhere, but nothing helps.

By random I mean it will:

crash when I rotate the view
crash when I exit to the neighborhood
crash when I pause and let it sit too long
crash when I exit the game
crash when I go to a sub neighborhood
crash when I'm decorating
crash when I'm doing nothing in particular
crash because it's Thursday
crash because a political leader in a country I never heard of made a speech denouncing computers
crash because the planets are badly aligned in the seventh house

These days I just save a lot and keep my fingers crossed.
Personally I think it's just karma.
Test Subject
#21 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:30 PM
I had the no bubbles mod from another site and whenever I tried to view the 60 gallon fish tank in buy mode my game would crash. Turns out it's a pretty popular problem.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:44 PM
I haven't experienced crashes in The Sims 2 for a long time. Most of the crashes I experienced was due to game unable to load certain households, which were located in corrupted neighborhoods. The last time my game crashed was almost a year ago, when I tried to enter one of the base game neighborhoods after installing expansion packs. The game crashed on the "Creating Exotic Destinations" screen. At first, I thought it was because I didn't have enough memory on my computer. But that wasn't the case because I had upgraded the graphic card and RAM (My sister is thinking about grading those, so we can play The Sims 3 on higher setting; we're currently playing that game on low/medium settings just to be safe) not too long ago. And I'd expansion packs installed before on the same computer and I was able to access all of the neighborhoods without the game crashing.

For a while, I was only able to play one of my custom neighborhood, since Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville, and my other custom neighborhood always crashed upon entry. One day, the laser of my DVD ROM drive could no longer read CDs (my expansion packs are in CD format, while Deluxe is a DVD), and cleaning it didn't help, so I'd stopped playing the game. Several months passed before I was able to get a new DVD ROM drive. After installing it into my computer, I tried playing again. At first, I only played the one custom neighborhood that the game would load. One day, however, I was curious to see if the other neighborhoods would still crash, so I clicked on one of them. To my surprise, it didn't crash the game, it had loaded all the way!

I had the same results for the other neighborhoods; none of them caused the game to crash like before! And that is my somewhat lengthy The Sims 2 game crashes story. I am still wondering if the weakening laser of my older DVD ROM drive was really the source of my game crashing, or if there was another culprit that actually caused the problems I was dealing with, while I was blaming the wrong object? *Stares long and hard at her computer tower* Oh, the mystery!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:52 PM
I get crashes if I play a very large lot in winter (lots of snow/frequently changing levels of snow on the ground), or if I exit to neighborhood view too many times and re-enter. Sometimes it also crashes randomly or after a very long play session. This makes me think system limitations are the problem, though I'm not entirely sure.

However, I've just followed the instructions Liv Lukas provided and I'll be sure to give that a try and see if it helps! Hopefully, since my computer has 6 GB of RAM, being able to use more than 2 GB will really help.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 7:27 PM
Elderly gentlemen crash my game.

I like bringing people to the lot for socializing via the summon menu on the Blender; it's generally less hassle than calling them on the phone and inviting them over. I tried it with Grampa Aspir and it crashed my game. Then I could no longer play the family; the Aspir family would crash on the loading screen. Yesterday I summoned up Patrizio Monty and the same thing happened. I summoned his wife first (forget her name) and she was fine. So it's not all elders, just the men. Now I'm afraid to summon anyone without being very sure that they're not an elder!

I guess I probably added some new mods and CC since I just reinstalled after a long break from the Sims. I haven't gotten around to figuring out what's causing this yet. Sometimes it's just easier to play around the problem than fix it.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 8:29 PM
There's only one big thing, and it's whenever I have this ONE family call their family and invite the household over, the game will crash. I still have no idea what's causing it -_-
Page 1 of 8