Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 10:17 PM
Simlish is always interesting because if you listen to the songs, they can sound kind of dirty.....

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 12:15 PM
Default Magwuffer
I love this thread! I always try to learn simmish! I have noticed that the men say "magwuffer" after laughing at a joke, and the women say "legine" on the phone when they're agreeing with a friend. I had worked out that "Nooboo" was baby aswell. Also they say "Il for tam" when they're hungry.........can't remember any more but I like to think I have learned quite a few sim words whilst playing!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 2:20 AM
I wonder if Simlish actually has any grammatical patterns...

I don't see any invisible treasure chests!
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Owfin
I wonder if Simlish actually has any grammatical patterns...

Nah its just a bunch or random gibberish, with some familiar sounding words in different languages but I doubt any grammar or anything of the sort exists ^_^
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 9:56 PM
if you ever get a sim-child talking to his/her imaginary friend (not any one else there), and listen to him/her, you will notice there is a grammar to simlish
(one of my own sims was doing this talking to no-one thing yesterday)

our problem is that we can't actually understand it like other sims do.
but that does not make it random gibberish

SimCopter-simlish was that way, but just because it was build on a short list of words
TS-simlish has grown into a real speakable language

having said that,
most things any sim says are short remarks so, you need to really get lucky to hear any complex use of the language .

remove me from your history, I'm not interrested in this site anymore
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 11:43 PM
I'm pretty sure its mostly random. Otherwise the creators would have had to spend a lot of time creating a language.

When I see videos of the voice actors it doesnt look like they're reading off a script I could be wrong though.
Test Subject
#32 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 12:17 AM
//You forgot 'sheebalockacanna', which I think means GTFO. xD
Field Researcher
#33 Old 15th May 2012 at 6:18 PM
Just thinking of Harry Potter going 'Ooo shanga day' (Why me?)

My Simblr: Here
Field Researcher
#34 Old 15th May 2012 at 6:34 PM
This is brilliant- thanks!
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 15th May 2012 at 6:42 PM
Honestly, I think a good way to learn simlish is through the songs as well. I mean if you have the English translation, its an easy way. I think. I've learned a few.

:D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Scholar
#36 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:10 AM
I've noticed that when a sim thinks someone is fit, the women fan themselves and go "Ooh.....farubitar", and the men do some weird thing and go "havalavatiba".
Field Researcher
#37 Old 31st May 2012 at 4:04 PM
I laugh when young adults do the smustle dance because they say some funny things. One of the things they say sounds like "Bo bo smustle. Bo smustle bo." Then another one is "Ooogie ooogie ooogie. Ooo ooo ooo." For some reason when they become adults they don't say those things anymore when they smustle dance. They say different things that aren't as funny to me.
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 31st May 2012 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rogue_55
I laugh when young adults do the smustle dance because they say some funny things. One of the things they say sounds like "Bo bo smustle. Bo smustle bo." Then another one is "Ooogie ooogie ooogie. Ooo ooo ooo." For some reason when they become adults they don't say those things anymore when they smustle dance. They say different things that aren't as funny to me.

Teenagers also say:

"Ooogie ooogie ooogie. Ooo ooo ooo."

But for some odd reason teenagers, when they get off the bus, they smustle...And stop the other kids from getting off the bus. Yeah, go them -.-"

My friend and I will compliment each other in Simlish.

She will say to:

Minshalogo

And I will simply reply:

Sherdell Mickgevie

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Field Researcher
#39 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:08 PM
Yeah, I know teens say it too, but I don't see teens smustle dance as often as young adults do in my game. I haven't said any sim words to any actual people. I will say some words to my cousins dog though. I call him a woofum and when I tell him to stay, I say "stoor". At least that's what it sounds like the sims are saying when they are trying to teach a dog to stay. The dog has no idea what I'm saying anyway. lol
Site Helper
#40 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:24 PM
Simlish changes from game to game. In Sims 1, Dag Dag was hello and Soon Soon was goodbye. (At least in the family I played most often.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:35 PM
Dag Dag is also in the Sims 2. For instance when my Sim is checking the mail or whatever, sometimes when there is a person there. They will say:

"Dag Dag"

Instead of

"Soo Soo"

Test Subject
#42 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 11:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by i-came-to-win
//You forgot 'sheebalockacanna', which I think means GTFO. xD

I said that once when my brother walked into the bathroom once when I was putting on make up. I was like: "Sheebalockacanna, Travis," and he just stared at me like: "Dafuq?" lol xD
Theorist
#43 Old 20th Jun 2012 at 1:23 PM
I'd consider doing so after my good Sim in TS3 donated $1000 to "Simlish as a second language". Even though I'd be fourth language to me.

~DJ., a knowledge Sim
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 1:22 PM
I found a new phrase a week ago
my sim was writing his book while the computer broke down he said something sounding like
"na da woohoo" which I could translate as "what the f***?"

remove me from your history, I'm not interrested in this site anymore
Mad Poster
#45 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 5:38 PM
Simlish language ressembles to Germanic languages. if you speak English or French, or both for instance...Simlish looks like it could be your language, just using words you never heard before..type of feeling.
I see and read all of those possible meaning in English, but since I also speak French, don't you know..I will also hear French.
And I guess the same goes for any other languages, with the exception of Oriental ones I presume.
Just a little example, when a male adult picks up his toddler from the floor, to let's say..put him/her in the crib I hear "Get the doggy!"
But sometimes, when male adults are eating at the table and having a conversation with another sim, some of the things they say sounds like French : "C'est la faute à mon gros noir.."
Which always makes me laugh. (English translation : "It's my big black dude's fault..") Which means nothing really, but seems to just comes out of nowhere, and this is why it makes me laugh.
I also hear combination of French and Simlish in the same sentence, such as " Un nooboo!" Un means a or one. Would be like saying "a nooboo", and it also makes sense, because a mom will say that at the end of the cinematic when a baby is born.

My children and I (we all speaks English & French), are having such a blast finding resemblances. It is always funny.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Scholar
#46 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mr_db1

* Vous - You

Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
But sometimes, when male adults are eating at the table and having a conversation with another sim, some of the things they say sounds like French : "C'est la faute a mon gros noir.."
Which always makes me laugh. (English translation : "It's my big black dude's fault..") Which means nothing really, but seems to just comes out of nowhere, and this is why it makes me laugh.
I also hear combination of French and Simlish in the same sentence, such as " Un nooboo!" Un means a or one. Would be like saying "a nooboo"

If Vous is you, then Simlish is derived from French, and a few other Germanic/Slavic/Latiny languages
I've noticed French being used in the Sims' phrases as well, and also at the dining table.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 15th Mar 2014 at 10:19 PM
Actually, I believe Simlish was thrown together from a number of different languages. (And I believe I learned that reading a similar thread to this on this very board.) Many of us are also hearing familiar words and phrases by the process of confabulation - it is our nature to interpret the data that comes to our senses in ways that make sense to us, so we'll often hear nonsense as some plausible real phrase.

Major OT digression, don't mind me: This is behind the phenomenon of "back masking," in which you can play a vinyl record backwards and pick up secret messages. Although this was done deliberately in several (innocent) cases, the "satanic messages" that the mature among us remember being warned against were the products of narrow minds listening for the worst. For instance, there's a deliberate message at the beginning of an ELO album (El Dorado, I think): The music is reversible. Turn back! Turn back!, which some religious hysteric interpreted to mean you were supposed to play all of their records backward. He did, with the presumption that backmasking meant Satanism, and found what he was looking for. My husband, a Baptist and a huge ELO fan, demonstrated the technique for me once, and as an experiment I started listening for Christian messages, which I also found. One particular track, which supposedly says "Christ you are infernal," I heard as "Christ you are eternal." My husband could hear both once I brought it up. My husband also had a tape in which someone analyzed the Satanic backmasking in the Gilligan's Island theme - it was pretty hilarious.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#48 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 1:55 PM
French is a Romance language, not a Germanic one. It's much more closely related to Latin/Italian/Spanish/Portugese/Romanian than to English.

I remember reading that parts of Simlish were based on Tagalog, which is a language spoken in the Pacific unrelated to any European language. I also remember seeing a promo video on the old Exchange for Sims 3 showing one of the voice actors at work in which they were recording children's voices, and the director didn't have any particular words in mind for them to say. "Okay, this is for when the kid kicks the trash can." "[Simlish]" "No, maybe something like 'Stupid can!,' 'Dumb can!,' something like that?" "[Simlish]" "Perfect!" And "nooboo" seems to come from Internet slang, since "noob" is slang for a complete beginner, often with no skills at all.

Probably your best bet for translating Simlish is to listen closely to to the real songs on the radio and compare them with the real lyrics. They had to give the singers something to sing that fit the meter, after all. (Although I suspect you'll find that they weren't super consistent in their translations.)

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#49 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
Probably your best bet for translating Simlish is to listen closely to to the real songs on the radio and compare them with the real lyrics. They had to give the singers something to sing that fit the meter, after all. (Although I suspect you'll find that they weren't super consistent in their translations.)

They just sing Simlish to rhyme what they originally sing in English. In "Everything " from A Cursive Memory for instance, Collin is spelling the word e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. as his chorus. In the Simlish version..he is just blablabering sounds that rhymes. Hearing it, you know he sings as sentences, not individual letters, spelled one by one...
(Sim station : College Rock)
In "The Traffic Jam " from Stephen Marley, my favorite, in Reggae sim station, I am challenging you to prove me, it is actually "translated" in Simlish. lol Naw...this is again, just blablabering.
In my opinion, Simlish is just whatever, and some sounds/words comes back. I don't think there is a real meaning or that it could really be translated. I agree on the fact that nooboo would be used for baby, or a small one...but i do not think ALL words actually means anything. It is a make believe language, made to look real, sounds like they are understanding each other but...imagine the hard work that inventing a whole new language is?

According to me, one could not learn the Simlish language..as it is not really, a language.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#50 Old 16th Mar 2014 at 5:23 PM Last edited by esmeiolanthe : 16th Mar 2014 at 5:24 PM. Reason: Grammar fail
Well, there's one song that does have "nooboo nooboo" in the spot where you'd expect "baby baby," and on the old Exchange they did once post the Simlish lyrics to Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" (New Wave station), but I agree with you 100% that it's not a real language. And "Too Shy" only has like four words in it that I ever even understood in English. ("Shy shy, hush hush, I'm too I'm too-oo-oo, shy shy, hush huuuuuush....")

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Page 2 of 3