Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 65 (Who?), Viewed: 8127 times.
Page 3 of 3
Instructor
#51 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 1:52 AM
It probably would not be a big deal for some creator to make curved walls or faux curved walls. But people would avoid them because they are cc. They would much rather wait for EA to produce a defective version.
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 3:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
It probably would not be a big deal for some creator to make curved walls or faux curved walls. But people would avoid them because they are cc. They would much rather wait for EA to produce a defective version.

We might get reputations as being bad consumers, otherwise

I know these could be done fairly well faux style, but wonder if the existing pool tool could be co opted to better effect...the pools do have backing walls behind the curve, which may be problematic to remove.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Scholar
#53 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 5:47 AM
More than curved walls, I'd love walls that were useable on the 1/4 grid. (1/2 grid? Whatever the size of the furniture placement grid is.)

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Scholar
#54 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 12:50 PM
I would love curved walls in Sims 3. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're coming. After all, you have the curved wall in the pool, but TS3 added the curved wall in the fountain (roughly foundation height?). As for CC created objects, I use them but they're pretty fiddly and generally the differences in language make it hard to figure out their usage. That, and the route-able issue are why I want EA to add them to the game.

For what it's worth, Demonic (Hekate999) also has a quarter curved wall that comes with the ceiling piece in their Sci fi build set: http://dymcreations-demonic.blogspot.com/
Doilyrific Diabolical Disagreer about Water Reflections
#55 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 1:45 PM
It would be quite hard to have genuinely curved room boundaries with the current data structure. Each tile has four sections represented by a byte each, divided diagonally the way you can split a floor pattern. So unless they completely rewrite the data structure making everyone's existing lot unusable, you couldn't have real curved boundaries, and probably not curved walls on a spline.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius1
Haven't experienced disaster or failure yet. But, of course, I spent almost two grand for my pc and it's made to handle high graphics games.
You can't fit 20 oz in a 8 oz bottle. Get a bigger bottle, or do without. If your pc/laptop can't handle the sims don't buy the sims.

Somehow I don't think the suits at EA would want to produce a game that only the elite could use.
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 10:40 PM
Turrets just don't seem complete if they are octagonal rather than circular.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Scholar
Original Poster
#58 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 3:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edejan
Somehow I don't think the suits at EA would want to produce a game that only the elite could use.

All I was saying is don't buy a cheap computer and then complain later that you have lag, or your game is slow. The game requirements are noted on the package. I am a gamer, so I bought a gaming pc.
If there was any offense taken in my earlier post(s), let me say that it was not intended. And I apologize to anyone who was offended.
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 4:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius1
All I was saying is don't buy a cheap computer and then complain later that you have lag, or your game is slow. The game requirements are noted on the package. I am a gamer, so I bought a gaming pc.

You don't need a $2000 computer to handle the Sims 3 according to the game requirements on the box.
Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 4:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rian90
You don't need a $2000 computer to handle the Sims 3 according to the game requirements on the box.

True. But the sims isn't the only game I play on it. And I just wanted to have the right pc. I admit that I probably...maybe....okay, okay I spent a little too much for it. I learned the hard way that it's better to be safe than sorry.
The thing is I didn't even buy the sims for myself, I got it for my daughter. And I play it more than she does. (That's beside the point, I know.)
Top Secret Researcher
#61 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 4:52 PM
Funny..someone disagreed with me! My computer cost much less and is far above the Sims 3 specs. I sure hope people realize they do not have to spend that much to play this game!
Banned
#62 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 4:54 PM
A circular wall can be interpreted as a part of a circle, and a circle can be interpreted as a n-gon as n approaches infinity. Perhaps, instead of attempting to make a perfect circle, the developers can make something that appears like a circle, with far fewer polygons. Perhaps, the n-gon shaped thing that looks like a circle is really a 24-sided regular polygon, or walls can be adjusted by length and by angle on the grid.
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 5:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rian90
Funny..someone disagreed with me! My computer cost much less and is far above the Sims 3 specs. I sure hope people realize they do not have to spend that much to play this game!

Hillarious!
Just remember that you get what you pay for.
I would rather spend the extra money and not have to worry about it later. I have seen too many post on this site how the game lags, the game crashes, or whatever. Like I said earlier: I am a gamer and demand the best, and I will spend the money for it.
Anyway, I thought this post was about circular walls.
Site Helper
#64 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 5:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous101
A circular wall can be interpreted as a part of a circle, and a circle can be interpreted as a n-gon as n approaches infinity. Perhaps, instead of attempting to make a perfect circle, the developers can make something that appears like a circle, with far fewer polygons. Perhaps, the n-gon shaped thing that looks like a circle is really a 24-sided regular polygon, or walls can be adjusted by length and by angle on the grid.
As Inge Jones explained above, this would require a new data structure for floors, walls, and possibly roofs, and a complete rewrite of the logic which handles these architectural elements.

I did exactly what you suggested for Sims 2 and the "curved" walls crashed the game because the data structures and logic don't handle walls which are off of the grid. From what Inge said, it sounds like the same is true for Sims 3.

Maybe they'll consider a complete redesign of the architectural components for Sims 4.
Forum Resident
#65 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 6:09 PM
Maybe for TS4, curved walls will become a necessity and we will get tons of other neat stuff for building.
Scholar
Original Poster
#66 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 7:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko09
Maybe for TS4, curved walls will become a necessity and we will get tons of other neat stuff for building.

My fingers are crossed.
Page 3 of 3

Section jump