Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 5th May 2013 at 2:34 AM
My ladybug house works. I think the house work only in greenhouse since I don't need to spray my tree. and when Garden club inspect your garden, they also add score because I have ladybug house.
Advertisement
Banned
#27 Old 5th May 2013 at 2:41 AM
"Organic" is BS anyway.

Mad Poster
#28 Old 5th May 2013 at 2:44 AM
The garden club adds to your score for having ladybug houses, regardless of where they are. They work in the open air and are unnecessary in greenhouses.

That they don't work fast enough for Mr. Shizzle is a function of his playstyle plus the contingent factor of how his game is treating the weather.

The tactic of having an inaccessible greenhouse sounds unworkable to me, as the important thing in food quality is not whether or not bugs get to them but whether or not they are tended. If my sims don't weed once a day they don't get a decent crop. All other factors are secondary.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Banned
#29 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:07 AM Last edited by MattShizzle : 5th May 2013 at 3:22 AM.
There's no weeds in greenhouses (or I have a mod that makes it so?) and I have a mod that gives every playable sim the ability to teleport so they can water, tend trees and such. I also cheat give all my sims that garden at least silver level to start. I'd never, ever, ever play without cheats. Unlike some people I don't like "a challenge." I see most (well, pretty much all) games as way too difficult and want them as easy as possible as actual life is way too difficult in reality and I certainly don't want that in a game. Every single game out there that's a first person shooter or such I can't get past the first level (or even the training level) on the easiest setting. The easiest setting on the first level on such games is at about where I'd put the most difficult setting on the final level.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:24 AM
Oh, but some of the most challenging games have the best storylines! Though sometimes the storylines can get challenging as well, which kind of ruins it a little...Bioshock Infinite's ending still befuddles me. Seriously Rockstar, wtf was that all about?

I find gardening pretty simple without any assistance, but I usually only have Nature-hobbied sims garden. They don't mind getting dirty or gardening for hours on end, to my benefit. I do spray their plants, since I don't think my sims particularly care about what goes into their food, and I also like the prospect of getting a plant-sim.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Banned
#31 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:36 AM
Well, if I cant get past the first level after a day or so I get bored and never play again.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
There's no weeds in greenhouses (or I have a mod that makes it so?)

There are weeds in greenhouses. In fact, I'm glad there are because that makes it easier to build up the gardening badge (not that it's hard, either way).

I respect that you play your game however you like, and I share your hatred for free will, but I think you are bordering on rude. Just because you don't believe in organic farming doesn't mean it's bullshit. You might think it is, but to each their own. Nobody is telling you that your opinions are bullshit. Maybe I am missing a joke here, but it comes across as rude to me.
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
There are weeds in greenhouses. In fact, I'm glad there are because that makes it easier to build up the gardening badge (not that it's hard, either way).

I respect that you play your game however you like, and I share your hatred for free will, but I think you are bordering on rude. Just because you don't believe in organic farming doesn't mean it's bullshit. You might think it is, but to each their own. Nobody is telling you that your opinions are bullshit. Maybe I am missing a joke here, but it comes across as rude to me.

Oh, he's always like that; the forum-attending folks at MTS are renowned for tolerance.

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Banned
#34 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:42 AM

No, that is SCIENCE that organic gardening is BS. Hence the episode of Penn and Teller.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 5th May 2013 at 3:51 AM
I don't care what you think or what some random show states. You are essentially attacking someones opinions for no reason other than that you disagree, in a thread about gardening in a game on a computer where people just want to share knowledge about the game. If some people want to play their Sims with the idea of organic farming, then it's none of your business.

Chill, bro. You constantly come across as pissed off. Is that really what you want to be known for?

Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
the forum-attending folks at MTS are renowned for tolerance.

I've noticed. Not really unique to MTS, I'd say it borders on a requirement to become a moderator anywhere =P I have great respect for them, I am much to up-in-your-face-honest for that kind of thing. If I think you are being a dick, I'm going to tell you. I can't say I read MTS guidelines that closely lately, but I do seem to recall "not being a dick" being a requirement.
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:00 AM Last edited by Fivey : 5th May 2013 at 4:13 AM.
I've noticed. Not really unique to MTS, I'd say it borders on a requirement to become a moderator anywhere =P I have great respect for them, I am much to up-in-your-face-honest for that kind of thing. If I think you are being a dick, I'm going to tell you. I can't say I read MTS guidelines that closely lately, but I do seem to recall "not being a dick" being a requirement.

I'm the type of person who likes to watch the flames burn. If someone wants to embarrass themselves, I don't stop them. Instead, I watch them. It's much more amusing. If they don't ask "am I embarrassing myself?" (to which I typically give a blunt answer to), I don't tell them.

Does it get things done? No, hardly. But it's funny.

Simblr.
Banned
#37 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:09 AM
I don't care what you think or what some random show states. You are essentially attacking someones opinions for no reason other than that you disagree, in a thread about gardening in a game on a computer where people just want to share knowledge about the game. If some people want to play their Sims with the idea of organic farming, then it's none of your business.

Chill, bro. You constantly come across as pissed off. Is that really what you want to be known for?

Maybe because I really HATE stupidity and pseudoscience and value actual knowledge and intelligence?
If it's in the game that's one thing but in reality it's another (not sure in the game - is spraying worse than allowing the bugs to keep damaging? Not in my game anyway as they don't appear in the greenhouse. Maybe that's a mod - sounds like one I'd want.)
Mad Poster
#38 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:18 AM
Maybe because I really HATE stupidity and pseudoscience and value actual knowledge and intelligence?

You know what is intelligent? Being able to separate your own views from that of others, and not feeling the need for everyone to see the world with the same colors as you do. You can put pretty words and reasons all you want, but you can't get around the fact that you are being rude for absolutely no reason. Congratulations.

To attempt to bring this back on topic, has anyone observed how much of a difference it makes to have a crop in a greenhouse vs not? I very rarely have plants that aren't in greenhouses because I don't want to have to deal with bugs all the time, so I have little to compare with. Would be interesting to hear if anyone did an experiment to compare actual time to harvest =)
Banned
#39 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:20 AM
So if someone believes that pouring ice cream into computers makes them work better, if someone else points out that that is stupid and not true they are "being rude for absolutely no reason?" No they are simply pointing out facts. As I said, I hate stupidity and religion counts as stupidity as does that numpty pseudoscientific shit like organic farming, naturopathy or homeopathy.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:34 AM
So if someone believes that pouring ice cream into computers makes them work better, if someone else points out that that is stupid and not true they are "being rude for absolutely no reason?" No they are simply pointing out facts. As I said, I hate stupidity and religion counts as stupidity as does that numpty pseudoscientific shit like organic farming, naturopathy or homeopathy.

You realize that people do organic farming for largely environmental reasons, right? For a good number, it has nothing to do with squeamishness.

Simblr.
Banned
#41 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:35 AM
You realize that people do organic farming for largely environmental reasons, right? For a good number, it has nothing to do with squeamishness.

Except, as the P&T BS episode pointed out, organic farming is actually WORSE for the environment than standard. The only real way to fix things is to reduce the human population - by at least half.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:38 AM
Except, as the P&T BS episode pointed out, organic farming is actually WORSE for the environment than standard. The only real way to fix things is to reduce the human population - by at least half.

Well, I'm all for massacre as the next person, but it's unfortunately illegal in most countries. Not to say I haven't been curious about the prospect...but ease of survival is a higher priority for me. Prison, from what I've heard, isn't pleasant.

Simblr.
Banned
#43 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:46 AM
Well, That is the bad way while the good way is slowing down reproduction.Killing people is a bad way but preventing reproduction of most is a good idea.
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:48 AM
Well, That is the bad way while the good way is slowing down reproduction.Killing people is a bad way but preventing reproduction of most is a good idea.

Killing people would prevent reproduction. It would just be in a horrifying, sordid manner.

Simblr.
Banned
#45 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:48 AM
As to those who think so...

Banned
#46 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:51 AM
Killing people would prevent reproduction.

Well, yeah. But it's the wrong way.
From looking at your profile you're a cutie but damn. The idea is to not harm any living person while still preventing overpopulation.
Top Secret Researcher
#47 Old 5th May 2013 at 4:56 AM
Well, yeah. But it's the wrong way.
From looking at your profile you're a cutie but damn. The idea is to not harm any living person while still preventing overpopulation.

By forcing people not to reproduce, aren't you also harming them? Sure, not physically, but psychologically and mentally?

Simblr.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 5th May 2013 at 5:13 AM
Ignoring a string of posts that I trust will be deleted very soon; I haven't done any time trials, gummilutt - it would be difficult with my playstyle, anyway - but I put in greenhouses for families that have someone keen enough on gardening to want to garden through the winter. I believe that Frank Munny's final harvest from his greenhouse and final harvest from his open patch planted at the same time came ripe at the same time. As far as I can tell, badges speed things up but greenhouses don't.

It's possible that greenhouses do if you put sunlamps in them, but I've never bought a sunlamp.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#49 Old 5th May 2013 at 5:38 AM
Well didn't this go off the tracks.

I believe a lot of things that you call bullshit MattShizzle, but I don't turn around and say it back because everyone deserves respect for their views. It doesn't matter that they are not my views, so long as they are not harming other people and that includes psychologically then it's their business. They can believe the world is flat if it makes them happy. Better to be happy then miserable and bitter. Also as to your facts, science facts change as time goes by because new knowledge comes to light. The appendix was considered a useless part for many years but now there is debate over it's role in helping the immune system. Scientists can disagree over the same given facts and science cannot prove or disprove everything. China's one child policy has caused a lot of grief. Baby girls left abandoned because they praise boys more highly, children hidden and forced abortions is what that kind of policy promotes. That promotes thinking such as "Who should be allowed to have children/breed" Which then opens up ideas such as well those people should be sterilized because of disability/mental health/ X and you can end up with a situation such as Hitlers idea of an ideal race where those deemed unsuitable are sterilized, segregated or even killed off.

Anyway this is not a debate thread, but a topic on sunlamps and lady bug houses. I like using ladybug houses and not using sprays in my organic gardens and I enjoy it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 5th May 2013 at 6:01 AM
I've tried using ladybug lofts in the past, and no matter where or when I put them, my plants always end up gross and deadaroony. I've given up on them, unfortunately.

I would attempt a garden again, but my sim playing kick has lowered considerably in favor of a sim creating kick. Now I want to create recolors of the ladybug thingy...

Simblr.
Page 2 of 5